• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

I guess I just don't understand why everyone thinks Disney is being unfair? We all signed the same contracts, and I knew full when I booked my cruise that we were rolling the dice that we would lose our vacation and our money if we had to cancel for a non-insurable reason. I've had
I guess it never crossed my mind as I was signing those contracts after paying an exorbitant amount of money for a dream vacation that I could potentially be held prisoner in a tiny state room with no control over anything including when or what I eat and then follow that up with a quarantine at an army base with no way to get back to my life all because one person on a ship packed with thousands gets sick. My bad! This has definitely turned me off cruising for good!
Or, that the CDC and State Department would advise you not to go on the cruise but the cruise would still sail and my choice would be to go against that advice, or lose a bunch of money. I agree...this was our second Disney Cruise and while we liked our first one the cost seems to be too high and risk too great to do this again.

I understand being concerned about travel plans and losing thousands of hard-earned dollars (and/or the inconvenience of possibly facing a two week quarantine), but I do hope people's primary concern is the possibility of contracting the virus while traveling (they might think, "i'm healthy, young, I'm not in a vulnerable class, fear isn't going to stop me from enjoying my long planned spring break") and then returning home and possibly unwittingly passing that to someone who might be.

Don't get me wrong, I would be sick to lose thousands of dollars too, but honestly there are more important things at stake than money. I have immediate family in this situation who so far are trying very patiently to see how things play out before making a definitive decision on whether to proceed with their plans or not, (of course I think they should cancel). I for one will offer my future travel to those in the industry that have responded to this with liberal cancellation policies as it makes it easier for their customers to make the right call to cancel or postpone their planned trips and stay home, not only for their sake, but more importantly for others.

IMO the government mismanaged this from the start and although messages are still contradictory it is encouraging that we've at least moved away from calling it a hoax that will magically disappear to a situation that is being afforded more seriousness. It is still a very fluid situation: the numbers of those infected and the deaths attributed to it change daily, as do precautions and cancellations in the business and education fields, sporting and entertainment worlds, Italy is now in lockdown (the country, not just a region), this is all unprecedented in my lifetime so the message from medical experts (and basic common sense) seems clear to me, large groups in confined spaces (which basically means travel of any kind) during an escalating pandemic is discouraged and non-essential travel (or entertainment) should be cancelled or postponed when possible.

And, of course, most of us don't have a choice but to continue going about our daily lives and heading to work, school, the gas station, grocery store...we can be infected and/or carry to others these ways as well, but those are necessities of life, traveling right now for pleasure doesn't fall in the same category. (And since this is a travel board that is primarily what I'm commenting on).

I would think that when a Dr straight up tells my daughter and I not to go because we would be more easily infected that would be worth something
I think your issue is more with the doctor than the insurance company. Why wouldn't your doctor write a note? Either she doesn't believe that the condition warrants cancellation or maybe she isn't fully credentialed? Either way, there are tons of other doctors. I'd just go to another and ask them if your daughter is unable to cruise do to a medical reason. Fear of unknown is not a medical reason. If the doctor says your daughter cannot cruise due to a medical reason, cancel and file a claim. You'll get the paperwork that the doctor needs to fill out. You need copies of receipts, etc. It's not an easy thing. It takes a couple months to get your money back, but you will get your money back.

I don't know why this doctor couldn't write a note unless it is because it isn't your daughter's regular doctor (?). There's also the issue of "shouldn't" go on vacation vs. "dangerous" to go on vacation.
Probably because the doctor couldn't honestly say the child is sick. Most insurances require the individual to be "unable to travel due to illness" for the coverage to kick-in. That could require more than a simple doctor's note - such as medical records proving the illness. It's unfortunate, but simply advising "it wouldn't be smart to travel due to potential risk" isn't usually adequate reason for insurance to cover a cancellation. Unless it's a CFAR policy, most of which only pay-out around 75% rather than full reimbursement.

so pre-existing is included.
Coverage for pre-existing conditions doesn't usually translate to you can cancel because of a higher risk of potential illness. PEC coverage usually means if there is a specific illness-related reason to cancel (or have medical expenses coverage), it won't be denied because of a condition that existed prior to travel. If your daughter is ill right now, that would kick-in for cancellation coverage and if her illness is related to her PEC the waiver would kick-in to assure you could cancel. Other than cancel-for-any-reason coverage, I don't think there is coverage for "potential illness."

I'm sure there are dates that are less then what you paid. It's your choice to move the cruise and it was your choice not to buy insurance.
But, most of the standard travel insurance policies include an epidemic exception, so even those who have insurance may be denied reimbursement. I know Allianz has such an exception in their policies and has indicated that coronavirus qualifies as a known event as of January 22, 2020 and as an epidemic as of February 3, 2020: https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/coverage-alerts/2019-novel-coronavirus.htm.

I don't even have a cruise booked on Disney. I have one that is PIF on another cruise line.

I just would hope that you could be a little more compassionate with your replies to posts on this thread. Everyone is not in your situation, financially, age, health or calendar-wise.
I have a cruise booked and I am in the same situation. My age, finances, health aren’t something I care to disclose.
I just prefer to stay positive, hope for the best. Plan for the worst and focus on solutions should my vacation blow up. Bashing DCL s refund policy isn’t going to help I have no control over that. I can only control how I handle the situation.
Vacations are a luxury not a necessity whatever happens I’ll deal with it cut my losses and move on.

I have a cruise booked and I am in the same situation. My age, finances, health aren’t something I care to disclose.
I just prefer to stay positive, hope for the best. Plan for the worst and focus on solutions should my vacation blow up. Bashing DCL s refund policy isn’t going to help I have no control over that. I can only control how I handle the situation.
Vacations are a luxury not a necessity whatever happens I’ll deal with it cut my losses and move on.

I believe that you have that attitude because you don't have any of these situations that cause you any angst.

They want some more accommodations, especially in light of the fact, that Disney and others in the travel industry will probably get some government concessions if this virus persists, while the cruisers will not.

This forum is here for people to complain, vent, and rant. This is super stressful for a lot of families where they have tens of thousands of dollars tied up in this vacation. Some people have saved years to do this trip and Disney is giving them exactly one year to come up with thousands more! If you can't understand that, then you don't have a compassionate bone in your body.

If you can't understand why people want to come on here and post whatever negative thing they want about Disney, then maybe rethink posting comments that are made to make people feel worse than they already do.

I guess I just don't understand why everyone thinks Disney is being unfair? We all signed the same contracts, and I knew full when I booked my cruise that we were rolling the dice that we would lose our vacation and our money if we had to cancel for a non-insurable reason. I've had vacations disrupted by a last minute work emergency--should Disney give my money back even though it is out of their control, just like this virus is?

Don't forget that cancel for any reason insurance that you pay for through Disney only gives you 75% of your cruise fare as rebooking credit, with one year to rebook, so the new policy is actually much more generous than insurance that people on these boards glady pay hundreds of dollars for.
That is the reason you shouldn’t get the insurance through DCL

I believe that you have that attitude because you don't have any of these situations that cause you any angst.

They want some more accommodations, especially in light of the fact, that Disney and others in the travel industry will probably get some government concessions if this virus persists, while the cruisers will not.

This forum is here for people to complain, vent, and rant. This is super stressful for a lot of families where they have tens of thousands of dollars tied up in this vacation. Some people have saved years to do this trip and Disney is giving them exactly one year to come up with thousands more! If you can't understand that, then you don't have a compassionate bone in your body.

If you can't understand why people want to come on here and post whatever negative thing they want about Disney, then maybe rethink posting comments that are made to make people feel worse than they already do.
Actually it does cause me a lot of stress. I have thousand invested in this trip also. That’s why I’m on this thread. You on the other hand have no skin in the game. I have just as much right to try to be positive about the whole things as others do to be miserable.
I will be thrilled if Disney gives me the piece of mind with a travel voucher or extends the PIF date. At this point nothing is being offered for my cruise. If I have to I’ll fork over the money for the cancel for any reason insurance I will.

That is the reason you shouldn’t get the insurance through DCL
I think all cancel for any reason policy“s are 75%. I don’t think DCls coverage is as good as others, but it’s currently the cheapest. What company do you suggest.

I think all cancel for any reason policy“s are 75%. I don’t think DCls coverage is as good as others, but it’s currently the cheapest. What company do you suggest.
I suggest a company that would refund your money and not force you to rebook.

Especially if future dates don’t work or there is not an equivalent cruise that can be booked in the rebooking window at a similar price point.

I suggest a company that would refund your money and not force you to rebook.

Especially if future dates don’t work or there is not an equivalent cruise that can be booked in the rebooking window at a similar price point.
I would use the money to book the same cruise next year. We have not done a Baltic cruise yet. I think I would be fine with DCLs. insurance. The other policies Ive looked at are priced much higher. Ovbviously insurance company’s are taking advantage of the situation,

Actually it does cause me a lot of stress. I have thousand invested in this trip also. That’s why I’m on this thread. You on the other hand have no skin in the game. I have just as much right to try to be positive about the whole things as others do to be miserable.
I will be thrilled if Disney gives me the piece of mind with a travel voucher or extends the PIF date. At this point nothing is being offered for my cruise. If I have to I’ll fork over the money for the cancel for any reason insurance I will.

I have skin in the game because I'm a fellow cruiser and some of my friends are/may be impacted by the decisions Disney is making.

If you'd only posted this instead of some others, you and I wouldn't be here right now.

I haven't been able to go over this whole thread, especially since I was incommunicado for a week while on the Fantasy. I did 2/29-3/7 and can give some recent info.

First - passport checks. Last year I visited Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Japan, so my passport had recent stamps from those places. The check-in agent did go thru every page and noticed those, so stepped aside to make a phone call and ensure everything was ok. I wasn't worried since I visited 4 months prior, well before the virus started, but it was interesting to note. So if you have been to a virus hotspot recently, be aware they are doing in-depth checks of the passports. I was seated at a table with a couple from Japan, however they had been living in the US for several months, so after verifying that, they were allowed to board. If they had come direct from Japan, they wouldn't have been allowed on.

Second - the ship itself. I never felt like I was in a cleaner environment than on the ship. As usual, they were diligent and ensured people washed hands/used disinfectant wipes before eating. I noticed more crew members by the drink and ice cream stations making sure to keep them clean. And it was rare to walk down a hallway and not eventually run into a crew member cleaning down handrails. I felt completely safe (much more so than the plane flight away from Orlando last night, but that's another issue altogether). We are doing another Disney cruise in May (Alaska) and have no plans to cancel or change it.

I personally would be thrilled if DCL would at least extend the rebook period for everyone to 15 months out, as they are doing for those with Europe itineraries. I don’t really understand why they chose to make the distinction. (Yes, I know that allows those with early summer plans to move to later summer, but why not allow those with early spring plans to move to later spring or even summer?)

It seems like other lines are allowing people to rebook through end of April 2021 at the bare minimum.

I have skin in the game because I'm a fellow cruiser and some of my friends are/may be impacted by the decisions Disney is making.

If you'd only posted this instead of some others, you and I wouldn't be here right now.
I’m not sure what you mean by that. I’ve been on this thread since the beginning and Ive mentioned my upcoming cruise many many times. I’ve been dealing with the stress for a while. I was over joyed when DCl came out with their new policy I’m just hoping it extends to me in the future.

Last edited:
I personally would be thrilled if DCL would at least extend the rebook period for everyone to 15 months out, as they are doing for those with Europe itineraries. I don’t really understand why they chose to make the distinction. (Yes, I know that allows those with early summer plans to move to later summer, but why not allow those with early spring plans to move to later spring or even summer?)

It seems like other lines are allowing people to rebook through end of April 2021 at the bare minimum.
15 months is not enough. It should be full refund and no ? Asked. Cruise lines are not acting in good faith. These times are so different and they need to do the right thing. Dock the boats if necessary.

I’m not sure what you mean by that. I’ve been on this thread since the beginning and I’ve made Ive mentioned my upcoming cruise many many times. I’ve been dealing with the stress for a while. I was over joyed when DCl came out with their new policy I’m just hoping it extends to me in the future.

I'm just pointing to your posts just prior to my first reply to you and your subsequent responses to me. Sorry, but I'm not looking through 1400 posts.

Hope everything works out for your cruise.

Meanwhile, I'm going to be here, reading and learning and putting my 2 cents in when I feel like it.

We booked with a placeholder. The cruise we want to switch to would be within our placeholder time limit (by all of 4 days). Can anyone confirm that you can or can't get the placeholder benefits?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter