Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

I was initially thrilled with Disney’s offer, but now am pretty upset. Prices are down for all cruises with lots of people cancelling, but those of us PIF have a 12 month window with zero flexibility, even a week, and the cruises next year are more expensive! And for some of us, the cruises are less expensive and now we have this huge credit we don’t need. Also, we can’t take the credit and move it to an already booked cruise to pay off. It looks good to start, but really isn’t for some people and as a loyal cruiser with over 20 cruises and four booked, I am furious. There should be a 24 month window...or at the very least we should be able to book any cruise that is already out there. They need more flexibility. I am hoping they will cancel cruises so people will get their money back. Mad.

I was initially thrilled with Disney’s offer, but now am pretty upset. Prices are down for all cruises with lots of people cancelling, but those of us PIF have a 12 month window with zero flexibility, even a week, and the cruises next year are more expensive! And for some of us, the cruises are less expensive and now we have this huge credit we don’t need. Also, we can’t take the credit and move it to an already booked cruise to pay off. It looks good to start, but really isn’t for some people and as a loyal cruiser with over 20 cruises and four booked, I am furious. There should be a 24 month window...or at the very least we should be able to book any cruise that is already out there. They need more flexibility. I am hoping they will cancel cruises so people will get their money back. Mad.
So you want other people's vacations ruined so you can get a refund. Many of us are still looking forward to our Summer cruises.

I can't speak for the person that you wrote this to, but there are actually NO cruises in the next 12 months for a comparable trip (5 night to Mexico) that are less than I paid. They are 2 and 3 times more expensive because I originally booked on the military rate. In fact, I can't get one veranda room for the price of the two rooms I have booked...an veranda and inside stateroom. Even the DCL representatives told me, "You'll just have to park your money and hope that they offer a special rate"

I don't think I'm being greedy by wanting a comparable cruise for the same price I paid? Sure, I could take one bedroom on a 3 day when everyone is at school and cancel the other room and tell my family they can't go with us, but that's hardly the same as the 5 day with my family. While they were generous in their special rate offerings, there is no loyalty and no guarantee that they will offer them in the future with everyone re-booking their cruises. So, they basically have my money.

I have insurance, but it isn't "cancel for any reason" and we are PIF because we sail the end of this month. If DCL would open their window to 24 months, I'm sure that would help some in this situation. I really just want them to cancel and refund my money. At least that way I have some to spend on a future trip, and might consider DCL. At this point, I would never consider it even if I could afford to.
Thank you for your service.

I highly suspect they wont have any choice but to offer special rates over the next year simply to fill the ship. If I understand military discounts correctly those arent offered until about 60 days out from the cruise, correct? Once this clears up, there will be mant people that wont want to cruise for various reasons. I really cant imagine we wont see special rates, hopefully they will be for a time you can use them.

I was confused by the 5 night Mexico cruise. I assumed that was San Diego.
Ever hear of Cozumel?! LOL ;)

I laugh but I assumed East Coast but you are correct that Mexico can be reached from either side. Thanks for giving me the rare chuckle this morning.

Thank you for your service.

I highly suspect they wont have any choice but to offer special rates over the next year simply to fill the ship. If I understand military discounts correctly those arent offered until about 60 days out from the cruise, correct? Once this clears up, there will be mant people that wont want to cruise for various reasons. I really cant imagine we wont see special rates, hopefully they will be for a time you can use them.

While I appreciate that they MAY do that, there is no guarantee. They are guaranteed to have my money one way or the other.

And, I'm sure I'm not the only one that books trips at times when it works for their family. There are seriously only three weeks that work for all of our family in the next year, and the prices for those weeks are out of our price range.

If they would expand the booking window to 24 months, I'm sure it would help many.

No I don’t want anyone’s vacations ruined, mine included. I have no intention of cancelling at this time, but we must be sensible. If trip insurance doesn’t cover cancellation or medical issues due to this virus, if the US and CANADA public health officials are telling people not to cruise and ports are turning ships away, perhaps it is time for DCL seriously to consider what they are doing. I am now concerned of what will happen to me, a Canadian, if I get sick on US soil if my insurance isn’t covering the virus. Is that worth a vacation?

While I appreciate that they MAY do that, there is no guarantee. They are guaranteed to have my money one way or the other.

And, I'm sure I'm not the only one that books trips at times when it works for their family. There are seriously only three weeks that work for all of our family in the next year, and the prices for those weeks are out of our price range.

If they would expand the booking window to 24 months, I'm sure it would help many.

Have you written to Disney yet and expressed this or only venting on an unofficial message board? There seem to be a lot of people that would like the booking window extended, I hope they are all writing and letting Disney know the various reasons why a 12 month extension to take a cruise isnt enough for them. And I hope Disney listens.

I do get that a 24 month extension would help the costs be lower than booking 12 months out but its my understanding that the Military rate is far below even opening day pricing so I fear even with that extension that you might be relying on special rates. Hopefully that would give you many more weeks/ chances though. I really hope it works out for you. Try not to be too stressed out that a special rate wont be offered, I really do believe the odds are in your favor. Or, since you are so close to the cruise date, maybe it will get canceled before you request FCC then you will just have your money so you can do what works best for your family.

Ever hear of Cozumel?! LOL ;)

I laugh but I assumed East Coast but you are correct that Mexico can be reached from either side. Thanks for giving me the rare chuckle this morning.
If you do a search for Mexico cruises on the DCL website you will get cruises out of San Diego. If you search the Caribbean you will get cruises out of Miami. Yes, I know where Cozumel is I've been there many times. Cruises that stop at Cozumel usually make some stops in the Caribbean. I'm glad could make you laugh.

Yesterday my daughter had a Doctor on Demand appointment and the Dr flat out said she shouldn't go, but said she couldn't write a note.
Daughter has chronic sinus and respiratory issues which make it easier to get infected.
I can't find any info about what determines what Drs can or can't write a note though.
Any tips or help with this?
I don't know why this doctor couldn't write a note unless it is because it isn't your daughter's regular doctor (?). There's also the issue of "shouldn't" go on vacation vs. "dangerous" to go on vacation.

We had to use our insurance once before (Allianz). It wanted very detailed paperwork from my husband's doctor. It asked about prior medical conditions, how long he had been my husband's doctor, if he was the primary doctor, etc. My husband had an urgent care visit and lots of tests. I seem to recall that none of that would have helped with the paperwork. It was specific paperwork that needed to be filled out by the primary doctor.

Read your policy. My husband is in the high risk group, but our insurance wouldn't cover his underlying heart issue because I bought the insurance later than 14 days after booking the cruise. Preexisting is only covered on my policy if I bought the policy in the first 14 days of when I purchased the insurance. It wasn't a concern way back then, because he just needs to take medication and it isn't a life threatening illness. It's only an issue now because he's over 60 and the CDC is recommending that anyone over 60 or with heart issues to not cruise.

No I don’t want anyone’s vacations ruined, mine included. I have no intention of cancelling at this time, but we must be sensible. If trip insurance doesn’t cover cancellation or medical issues due to this virus, if the US and CANADA public health officials are telling people not to cruise and ports are turning ships away, perhaps it is time for DCL seriously to consider what they are doing. I am now concerned of what will happen to me, a Canadian, if I get sick on US soil if my insurance isn’t covering the virus. Is that worth a vacation?
Your cruise is several months away and DCL doesn't have a crystal ball. You have to 30 days out to cancel now since they moved the PIF date. Just wait and see. Everything may work out just as you planned.

This exactly! I don't know if I can go if my insurance won't cover me, my government is advising against it, and there's a real chance I will be quarantined both by the cruise line and by the Canadian government after I return. It's almost seems laughably stupid to even consider it.

I'm waiting and hoping that things get better before I leave in 7 weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter