Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

Everyone says "if you develop any symptoms", but what are the symptoms and how would they differ from the flu, noro, a cold or even pneumonia?

Everyone says "if you develop any symptoms", but what are the symptoms and how would they differ from the flu, noro, a cold or even pneumonia?

The symptoms are fever, cough, difficulty breathing, fatigue. The early signs are not all that different from a cold or flu. And I've read that some people will only experience very mild symptoms. In other people, it will develop into a viral pneumonia and cause severe respiratory distress.

It is nothing like Noro, which is primarily a gastrointestinal virus. Although when I had Noro, I had severe body aches like I would have with the flu.

My aexperience was that when you get Noro, you absolutely are certain of what it is. All exits. No waiting.

Yup Noro is unmistakeable. 24 hours of everything coming out and then another 24-48 hours of fever and extreme exhaustion. Mine got to 102.1! Pretty high for an adult. If you think you had Noro and move off the couch the second day you didn't have Noro. After that it took a good week before my proper appetite returned.

As someone said before, you should be more concerned about the flu which kills a good number of people every year

Thanks for posting! Another confirmation that this virus is not contained.
No, it means that 2 people from China (Macau, which is next to Hong Kong, and a 1000km from Wuhan) were on a cruise, where one of them has flu-like symptoms. The husband of the couple was cleared already that he doesn't have the virus, but isolated as a precaution. Flu-like symptoms do not equal having coronavirus.

It takes a few hours before they know more, so somewhere today, they can confirm if she has or hasn't got coronavirus.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/01/30...-in-port-amid-fears-a-passenger-has-the-viral

**EDIT**
An Italian newspaper reports that at 14:30 this afternoon (about 45 minutes ago) the ship was cleared and the guests could disembark.
At least that's what I get from Google Translate. Someone here who is fluent in Italian who can confirm?
Via libera, anzi no. Alle 14,30 sembrava tutto finito: il comandante del porto di Civitavecchia, Vincenzo Leone, sorride ai giornalisti e avverte: "Abbiamo appena avuto il via libera allo sbarco delle 1.140 persone sulla Costa Smeralda che hanno concluso la loro crociera".
https://roma.repubblica.it/cronaca/...15602/?ref=RHPPLF-BH-I247116169-C8-P2-S1.8-T1

Last edited:
No, it means that 2 people from China (Macau, which is next to Hong Kong, and a 1000km from Wuhan) were on a cruise, where one of them has flu-like symptoms. The husband of the couple was cleared already that he doesn't have the virus, but isolated as a precaution. Flu-like symptoms do not equal having coronavirus.

It takes a few hours before they know more, so somewhere today, they can confirm if she has or hasn't got coronavirus.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/01/30...-in-port-amid-fears-a-passenger-has-the-viral

**EDIT**
An Italian newspaper reports that at 14:30 this afternoon (about 45 minutes ago) the ship was cleared and the guests could disembark.
At least that's what I get from Google Translate. Someone here who is fluent in Italian who can confirm?

https://roma.repubblica.it/cronaca/...15602/?ref=RHPPLF-BH-I247116169-C8-P2-S1.8-T1
Actually no it says that the Capitaneria di Porto which it's like the sea police gave the ok for people to disinbark but 10 mins late the sindaco *"the mayor" came out of a fiat shouting saying are you mad who gave you the permission?. So no they are still locked on the cruise

Thanks for posting! Another confirmation that this virus is not contained.

No one is saying that it is contained. What they are saying is that the risk is being way way overblown in the media. The flu is way less contained and you don't see people freaking out about it. Quite the opposite, most people take flu outbreaks way less seriously than they should.

So, we’re scheduled to leave in almost a week to cruise out of MiaMi. I’m not one to get dramatic about things but I will say this is concerning on many levels. While I’m confident about ourselves, it’s hard to know about the other thousands on board AND as we go through the Miami airport. of course, we’ll be as smart as one can (wiping down surfacing, washing hands, etc.). This cruise in Rome makes one think, it only takes ONE. If ONE person is identified as potentially having this, the impact this may have is nerve-racking. Are we prepared to be potentially isolated for up to 14 days? I can easily say ....No, but who would be. I won’t go into details listing where we’d fall short but it’s a gamble for anyone at this point. We’re not talking just the factors of the ship, but the impact it may have on work, school, pets at home, pets being boarded, clothing, flights, etc. Am I worried about it more than the flu? Yes, but only in the extent of the quarantine potential. I wouldn’t want ANY of us to get anything on the trip as I’ve had either norovirus OR food poisoning on DCL before and it was horrible. Other family members didn’t get sick but it lasted 24 hours and I stayed in my room absolutely miserable, missing Castaway Cay. So yeah, I’m keeping my eyes on this board to see if others are running into or hearing of any issues as they travel on DCL in the next week. It’s spreading so quickly and impacting so much, I can’t help but wonder the extent of this thing in a week!

So, we’re scheduled to leave in almost a week to cruise out of MiaMi. I’m not one to get dramatic about things but I will say this is concerning on many levels. While I’m confident about ourselves, it’s hard to know about the other thousands on board AND as we go through the Miami airport. of course, we’ll be as smart as one can (wiping down surfacing, washing hands, etc.). This cruise in Rome makes one think, it only takes ONE. If ONE person is identified as potentially having this, the impact this may have is nerve-racking. Are we prepared to be potentially isolated for up to 14 days? I can easily say ....No, but who would be. I won’t go into details listing where we’d fall short but it’s a gamble for anyone at this point. We’re not talking just the factors of the ship, but the impact it may have on work, school, pets at home, pets being boarded, clothing, flights, etc. Am I worried about it more than the flu? Yes, but only in the extent of the quarantine potential. I wouldn’t want ANY of us to get anything on the trip as I’ve had either norovirus OR food poisoning on DCL before and it was horrible. Other family members didn’t get sick but it lasted 24 hours and I stayed in my room absolutely miserable, missing Castaway Cay. So yeah, I’m keeping my eyes on this board to see if others are running into or hearing of any issues as they travel on DCL in the next week. It’s spreading so quickly and impacting so much, I can’t help but wonder the extent of this thing in a week!

To be fair, it isn't spreading nearly as quickly as the hysteria about it is, which is the real problem.

I really urge anyone concerned about this virus to make sure they're getting their information from epidemiologists and disease experts. Not politicians and the media.

That one person can be your neighbour, teacher, colleague, etc. if you develop symptoms tomorrow and if in the very small chance it's not just the flu but coronavirus, you could be quarantined and miss the cruise entirely. Except normal precautions you cannot do anything, because you cannot control what your neighbour, teacher, colleague did and where he has been. Only think about what you can control.

That one person can be your neighbour, teacher, colleague, etc. if you develop symptoms tomorrow and if in the very small chance it's not just the flu but coronavirus, you could be quarantined and miss the cruise entirely. Except normal precautions you cannot do anything, because you cannot control what your neighbour, teacher, colleague did and where he has been. Only think about what you can control.
We’ll, while I appreciate your thoughts, that’s a given. I’m making an assumption IF we make it So far as to get on the boat. Just saying.

This article is one of the least salacious, most linear, and most informative on the outbreak that I have read.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.la...coronavirus-china-science-mysteries?_amp=true

Ive been scouring the interwebs for information on the expected course of the disease and survival rates. The news isn’t reporting on people living and getting better because that doesn’t drive clicks. I don’t trust China to tell the truth and, even though the US government states they are being transparent, this time, I’m certain we will find out China has once again withheld vital information about this newest outbreak, but I am comforted in the knowledge that the CDC and the Aussies have recreated this virus in a lab and that is a short walk to treatment and vaccines (note that it had to be recreated because China has refused to share samples or allow foreign epidemiologists and investigators to assist, thus my skepticism at their transparency).

But the long and the short is, try not to panic. Stay healthy. This will all be over soon.

Well the WHO just made an announcement today that this virus is of a global state of emergency. That was announced on Fox News today. I don’t have the ability to post links. Everyone should be able to find the article.

Well the WHO just made an announcement today that this virus is of a global state of emergency. That was announced on Fox News today. I don’t have the ability to post links. Everyone should be able to find the article.

Indeed. Some reputable sources, but this is certainly information being reported widely:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/30/world/asia/coronavirus-china.html
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/30/who-declares-china-coronavirus-a-global-health-emergency.html
As these, and other, articles make clear, this is akin to issuing a state of emergency after a natural disaster -- it will speed up the flow of money globally, and is designed primarily to help stem the spread of the virus in less developed countries.

While of course it remains something to be aware of if you are at risk (if you work in a hospital, if someone in your life recently traveled from Wuhan, etc), it is still less severe than the flu. Taking the precautions one should always take to avoid contagion (washing hands frequently, staying home when sick, getting the flu shot, not licking public spaces, etc) is still reasonable.

Everyone measures risk differently. Do what is right for you and your family to feel safe.

I work for a University that has hospitals and international affiliates, including in China. We've received frequent updates about the appropriate protocol for employees based on level risk. Ranging from -- the Hong Kong center is closed, everyone is staying home down to people like me who have essentially no measurable risk and don't need to do anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter