Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

My quick look was one plane of diplomatic staff and other citizens, which is shorthand for "diplomatic staff dependents" and only from the Wuhan area.

Anyone closing their eyes to this is foolish. But I don’t take the attitude of it wont happen to me. Not worth the risk right now. Drive, don’t fly. But certainly avoid large crowds. It is not contained, and is highly contagious.

Who advised against bringing people home and yet everyone one is doing it. 🙄

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200128_095819.jpg
    Screenshot_20200128_095819.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 80
Anyone closing their eyes to this is foolish. But I don’t take the attitude of it wont happen to me.

Yes, that's fully true, but no one here is helped by mass hysteria. So I would suggest to everyone in this thread to double check their sources and judge the reliability. And also mention a source when you quote a fact so others can judge it for themselves.

I am sure there are more US citizens in China than just the 1.000 in the Wuhan area. But if everyone in the rest of China will be evacuated I highly doubt. For 70.000 people you need 175 flights on a 400-passenger plane. It will take a few weeks to evacuate this number. By then the situation can be entirely different.

To go on a cruise, and should you be worried?
If you are truly worried, you should also stay at home, no mall, no movie theater, no supermarket, where groups of people come together. There have been cases reported of people who have not been in China, but have been infected due to others who have. Also, it can happen that people get infected before the other person had symptoms.

For example in Germany, a Chinese colleague was visiting and only got symptoms when she returned home.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...oyees-infected-with-coronavirus-idUSKBN1ZR0WY
In some cases, the disease was spread before the symptoms
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...at-is-it-and-how-does-it-behave-idUSKBN1ZR11F
From the Guardian:
Should we panic?
No. The spread of the virus outside China is worrying but not an unexpected development. It increases the likelihood that the World Health Organization will declare the outbreak to be a public health emergency of international concern. The key issues are how transmissible this new coronavirus is between people and what proportion become severely ill and end up in hospital. Often viruses that spread easily tend to have a milder impact.

Healthcare workers could be at risk if they unexpectedly came across someone with respiratory symptoms who had travelled to an affected region. Generally, the coronavirus appears to be hitting older people hardest, with few cases in children.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/27/what-is-coronavirus-symptoms-sars-china-wuhan

We are also travelling in a week and I keep an eye on the news. Just use common sense, wash you hands very very often, don't use your finger tip to push buttons (like for elevator) use your knuckles instead. Try not to touch your face. These actions will help you not to contract any virus.
I am almost certain both the cruise lines and airlines have their precautions in place for sanitation.

Remember, clorox wipes does not kill norovirus. Wearing surgical masks does not prevent you from getting these coronovirus' (the virus is too small and goes through the mask). Those masks are designed to prevent liquids, not virus'. We are going in a little over a month on the Fantasy but I'm not worried.

Who advised against bringing people home and yet everyone one is doing it. 🙄

Hopefully they are affectively quarantined for the two weeks required as well. No one seems to be talking about that part though.

We just stepped off the Wonder Sunday and reports are coming in that some contracted flu B strain onboard. I myself caught a cold as well (didn't feel ill until the last day so I assume I caught it onboard). I always obsessively hand wash and wipe down tray tables/light switches and knobs but all it takes is one person coughing in cabanas, you know?

Last edited:
So i just canceled my room at the Disneyland Hotel in Shanghai next month.......I know this thread is about cruises, but I decided to hijack it because I'm sad.........

Very close to making the call to cancel too... My bf and I have plans to go on our first trip to Asia mid-February starting off in Tokyo to explore the city and go to Disney. We then fly over to Shanghai Feb 23-25 to go to Disney there as well before heading back to the states, but the situation continues to worsen unfortunately :(

Very close to making the call to cancel too... My bf and I have plans to go on our first trip to Asia mid-February starting off in Tokyo to explore the city and go to Disney. We then fly over to Shanghai Feb 23-25 to go to Disney there as well before heading back to the states, but the situation continues to worsen unfortunately :(

Plus Shanghai DL is closed right now... with no ETA to when they'll reopen.

On DCL, they do have you wash your hands before going into Cabanas, but after you get your food, wash or sanitize your hands before eating again. You don’t know who sneezed on their hands and then used one of the serving spoons

On DCL, they do have you wash your hands before going into Cabanas, but after you get your food, wash or sanitize your hands before eating again. You don’t know who sneezed on their hands and then used one of the serving spoons

Yes! I always tell myself I should do this and then the food looks so good I completely forget. I am going to try extra hard to remember next time. Luckily we haven’t gotten sick yet on a cruise.

It’s not even just sneezing...people on this board have reported watching people eat food with their fingers while still in the buffet line (ugh) and then they touch other serving utensils. I can only imagine how many germs must be on the buttons on the soda machines. We have all seen kids (probably adults too lol) walking around with their fingers in their noses.

Yes! I always tell myself I should do this and then the food looks so good I completely forget. I am going to try extra hard to remember next time. Luckily we haven’t gotten sick yet on a cruise.

It’s not even just sneezing...people on this board have reported watching people eat food with their fingers while still in the buffet line (ugh) and then they touch other serving utensils. I can only imagine how many germs must be on the buttons on the soda machines. We have all seen kids (probably adults too lol) walking around with their fingers in their noses.
I know, I hate buffets for this very reason. Not on Disney, but I have seen people picking up food with their hands and then changing their minds and putting THW food back back. When I made him noticed he replied saying his hands were clean! 😳😑

I read MSC and RCL have cancelled cruises leaving in a few days from Shanghai. Folks are waiting to hear from HAL.

I work at a University in Australia, one of the students has confirmed coronavirus and is in isolation. By all accounts, she did the right thing upon landing in Australia and sought medical advice quickly.
The advice we have been given is to frequently wash hands, avoid contact with people who have a cough or fever, seek medical attention if you develop any symptoms. When the students return next week (50,000 of them), a high % of them will have traveled to China over the summer break. Will the numbers of confirmed cases increase, maybe, only time will tell. Using common sense and being vigilant is going to be important over the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately face masks are in shortage in Australia because of the recent bushfire crisis.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter