Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

Unfortunately if you look at the ABD forum, disney has never been a leader. They follow what other groups are doing before they cancel. The ABD china tours for June just got canceled like a week ago. So its really less than 3 months out with notice, and making you pay in full before they determine it's gonna get canceled.

Yeah, I seem to remember quite a few frustrated cruisers on here during the last couple of major hurricanes b/c DCL was taking longer than other cruise lines to make cancellation & rerouting decisions. This seems about the same.

Several of the Baltic cruises already have GT rates. All, but mine. If they don't discount my cruise by PIF date I'll definitely move it and wait for a price drop. There's no way they fill these rooms. As far as DCL waiting to cancel cruises I really can't blame them. No one knows the outcome. It could fizzle out or be something catastrophic. As far as hurricanes go cruise lines have cancelled cruises and then the storm turns.

Disney will not lower prices during peak summer months as demand is still high and they need to keep prices higher than other cruise lines due to exclusivity and brand image.
They already have. Check out the Special Offers as well as the *GT rates.

Cancel. That's my advice to everyone with their PIF date coming up. It's the smart thing to do. There will be steep discounts offered on summer cruises since most ships are now stuck in Europe and North America where the virus is primed to spread.

If you really want to go, re-book with those discounts roughly a month or two into the PIF period. Same goes for the flights.

Good advice people!!!

We cancelled our March 7 Fantasy sailing and rebooked for December 19. They charged us $300/person plus the difference in cruise price. The cancellation period resets, so we can cancel prior to our new PIF date. We are relieved not to be going this weekend.

Disney will not lower prices during peak summer months as demand is still high and they need to keep prices higher than other cruise lines due to exclusivity and brand image.
Huh??? Dcl always offers discounts on cruises that don't sell by PIF including cruises in the peak summer season. They are already discounting the summer cruises to the public and I have a feeling the discounts to other groups will be significant.

I have been in communication with someone very senior at DCL. He expects an announcement tomorrow regarding upcoming cruises and some "options" for customers. He did not think it would cover our Greek cruises yet, but I had a chance to explain why it would be beneficial to extend the cancelation deadline in April if things haven't improved. I think my conversation will make a difference. He understands the importance of protecting the brand name. I was actually very impressed. We will see tomorrow.

An announcement is coming out from DCL sometime tomorrow regarding changes and options for cruises over the next few months. It won't touch the early summer cruises yet, but they will address those as needed depending on how things develop. Let's hope the announcement is a win win for everyone.

Sorry, I can't read that. Too small and blurry.

Sorry! It’s basically says what I had mentioned above, that cruises booked though May 31 can move their date without penalty and that if you choose to go ahead on the cruise you will receive anywhere from $100-$200 stateroom credit. If we go next Saturday, we would get the $150 credit.

If I were a Disney or (add any cruise line here), I would see about changing the closed loop rule as a “temporary” measure to keep the businesses afloat (sorry about that). As a way to keep the economy going. Then maybe we could get rid of that rule or make some realistic exceptions. So that Could offer ports in our own country. Let’s sell the entire coast of California make a couple stops with one in Washington. East or west coast.
Now is the time to ask, I see no-better time to ask then now! Right? Or wrong?

Is there a chance they are going to cancel some of the Med/Europe cruises on the Disney Magic? Or maybe give guests the option to cancel their trip or move to a different sailing without some kind of fee?

True but all US hospitals must be accredited by a licensing body and part of this accreditation is having policies and procedures in place for these types of circumstances, as well as how to follow clear cut CDC guidelines.Health care workers mightneed a refresher, but it’s certainly not something new .
Having policies in place and following such policies or informing your staff of such policies are two different things.

Just to add we have had no discussions or meetings on how to deal with a pandemic, and we just had our first CV patient this week. The good news is we all have to attend a mandatory cultural sensitivity class this month.

Last edited:
If I were a Disney or (add any cruise line here), I would see about changing the closed loop rule as a “temporary” measure to keep the businesses afloat (sorry about that). As a way to keep the economy going. Then maybe we could get rid of that rule or make some realistic exceptions. So that Could offer ports in our own country. Let’s sell the entire coast of California make a couple stops with one in Washington. East or west coast.
Now is the time to ask, I see no-better time to ask then now! Right? Or wrong?
Except I think people who are not going to book a cruise will still not book a cruise. It's not the ports, exactly, that's making people rethink cruises (or travel in general), but the numbers of people you wind up rubbing shoulders with during that travel.

And I doubt that this situation will cause any changes (temporary, or otherwise) to the PVSA.

Sorry! It’s basically says what I had mentioned above, that cruises booked though May 31 can move their date without penalty and that if you choose to go ahead on the cruise you will receive anywhere from $100-$200 stateroom credit. If we go next Saturday, we would get the $150 credit.

I'm guessing this is what Disney is going to do, especially since the Magic is scheduled to spend the summer in Europe

Is there a chance they are going to cancel some of the Med/Europe cruises on the Disney Magic? Or maybe give guests the option to cancel their trip or move to a different sailing without some kind of fee?

I had that impression, but he wasn't that specific. He said the announcement will be posted on the DCL website tomorrow. I would guess they will also email customers on the affected cruises. He was genuinely concerned for the customers and I had the impression they are going to do everything they can to make things work for everyone.

He said the position would be evolving to give families flexibility.

I'm guessing this is what Disney is going to do, especially since the Magic is scheduled to spend the summer in Europe

i would assume so. I guess they just needed another line to step up first 🤷‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter