Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

I'm going to say something that might be wildly unpopular. I don't think any company should really do anything unless local governments restrict them from operating.

If I am genuinely concerned about my family's safety then I'm going to cancel regardless if there is a refund or not. If you're only going to cancel if you get a refund then you've already established that you're not really that concerned.

There are times when I purchase travel insurance and there are times when I don't. I am fully aware, though that it is my responsibility and my responsibility alone to bear the burden of the risks I assume when I choose not to purchase insurance. I don't ask organizations to pay my premiums when I end up not using my insurance and I don't ask organizations to pay for my expenses when I've chosen not to pay premiums to cover such events.

I'm going to say something that might be wildly unpopular. I don't think any company should really do anything unless local governments restrict them from operating.

If I am genuinely concerned about my family's safety then I'm going to cancel regardless if there is a refund or not. If you're only going to cancel if you get a refund then you've already established that you're not really that concerned.

There are times when I purchase travel insurance and there are times when I don't. I am fully aware, though that it is my responsibility and my responsibility alone to bear the burden of the risks I assume when I choose not to purchase insurance. I don't ask organizations to pay my premiums when I end up not using my insurance and I don't ask organizations to pay for my expenses when I've chosen not to pay premiums to cover such events.

I mean, I get what you are saying. But if the cruise lines really are going to hold the hard line on this, I think it makes me realize that I am more of a WDW or "Fly to a tropical location" type of vacationer than a cruiser, as much as I enjoyed our prior cruise. WDW is GREAT with last minute rebookings for any number of reasons and if I were booked on a trip to the Caribbean instead of a cruise right now, I could rebook my flights with SW and cancel my hotel and be out zero dollars. This situation has just highlighted for me that I am more comfortable with that going forward. That is just me personally.

I get people are anxious about the uncertainty but not much DCL can do at this point. If they start canceling at it all blows over there will be bad press too. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I’m just going to wait it out and see.

There is one simple thing they could do - extend PIF and cancelation deadlines. It makes the most business sense and is the right thing to do for customers. Otherwise, they are expecting customers to carry the massive risk of having faith that Disney will cancel if things are at all questionable come cruise time. I don't think many families are willing to take that gamble. I am certainly not willing to bet $13K on it. If they extended deadlines to allow customers to better assess the situation near cruise time, we would all wait it out. Otherwise, we will cancel.

I mean, I get what you are saying. But if the cruise lines really are going to hold the hard line on this, I think it makes me realize that I am more of a WDW or "Fly to a tropical location" type of vacationer than a cruiser, as much as I enjoyed our prior cruise. WDW is GREAT with last minute rebookings for any number of reasons and if I were booked on a trip to the Caribbean instead of a cruise right now, I could rebook my flights with SW and cancel my hotel and be out zero dollars. This situation has just highlighted for me that I am more comfortable with that going forward. That is just me personally.

And those are valid points that you are bringing up. Cruise lines are definitely going to be offering steep discounts for the next several months.

But cruise lines have expenses and very expensive ships. What too many people expect is full refunds and they want to hear the feel good stories that all the crew members on board will continue to be paid. That's not the way world works. Companies cannot sustain paying their bills without income any longer than people can.

Last edited:

I am in the same boat. Disney can not win. What are they supposed to do, cancel all cruises until there are no cases in the US? And let all ships sit in port? Should they keep paying the crew that is doing nothing? There are still so many unanswered questions about Corona that it could be wiped out in 2 weeks (unlikely), or could be around for several years like H1N1 that affected millions of people and killed thousands across the globe. I am not minimizing the panic that some people are feeling, but even if you say the split is 50/50 on the scared to cruise vs don't care and going to go anyway camp, Disney can't come out on top in the other side's eyes. As for the quarantine, that is also a no win. If they quarantine, they eat all those costs and have to figure out the logistics to keep feeding you and everyone else on the ship. And unless you literally never walked through the SINGLE way onto the ship, you walked the same place as the ones that "need" quarantining, so wouldn't you want to be safer than sorry?

Yes WHO has the death rate at 3.4% or whatever it is today, but there are many variable in that including the fact that there are some reports saying that there are at least 20 versions of the test and no one is 100% sure if any of them are completely accurate.

At the end of the day it is a scary situation for alot of people and I get that, but most people are far more likely to be run over by a car while staring at their phone than dying or having sever complications from Corona. Live your life, take care of you r families, take necessary precautions, but I can PROMISE you that a cruise ship by and large is 1,000x cleaner than any metro/subway/uber than millions ride in everyday. And the cruise takes you to paradise.

We are supposed to fly out 3 weeks from today for the 3 night Dream commencing on 3/27/20. DH and I tabled our discussion last night and decided to wait until the 15 day mark to make the final call (last day for any type of refund at all), but I think seeing another ship dealing with a potential outbreak is making the decision easier. I’m ready to eat the 75% cancellation penalty.

Nobody could have foreseen this happening, but I kind of feel like this is about the worst time to have a cruise planned - it’s too late to cancel without harsh financial penalties, but too soon to know the real risks we are facing if we do cruise.
We are also sailing on the same cruise. And will wait till the 15 day mark to make a decision. Most probably we will cancel, but so upset with DCL since no other options are being provided. Probably will never cruise ever again especially with DCL. We will also have to forfeit 75% of the cost plus airlines and hotels.

And those are valid points that you are bringing up. Cruise lines are definitely going to be offering steep discounts for the next several months.

But cruise lines have expenses and very expensive ships. What too many people expect is full refunds and they want to hear the feel good stories that all the crew members on board will continue to be paid. That's not the way world works. Companies cannot sustain paying their bills without income any longer than people can.

You are right 100% but maybe meet the paying customer halfway by allowing to rebook with a fee rather than give 100% refunds.

There is one simple thing they could do - extend PIF and cancelation deadlines. It makes the most business sense and is the right thing to do for customers. Otherwise, they are expecting customers to carry the massive risk of having faith that Disney will cancel if things are at all questionable come cruise time. I don't think many families are willing to take that gamble. I am certainly not willing to bet $13K on it. If they extended deadlines to allow customers to better assess the situation near cruise time, we would all wait it out. Otherwise, we will cancel.

I agree 100%. They are being very short-sided here, because if my PIF date was today I would cancel. And no, I wouldn't rebook with DCL if things improved. My PIF date is mid April, but I don't like what I am seeing right now in terms of how they are handling things.

I've got 19 days left until the cruise (sailing to Cabo from San Diego). I purchased the insurance but it still confuses me on what it covers even after I read the documents. I figure it is too late to cancel and get a full refund correct? I am just going to bring lots of hand sanitizer, medicine, etc and hope for the best!!!

I agree 100%. They are being very short-sided here, because if my PIF date was today I would cancel. And no, I wouldn't rebook with DCL if things improved. My PIF date is mid April, but I don't like what I am seeing right now in terms of how they are handling things.

If I were prior to PIF right now I would 100% be cancelling, no question.

We are booked on the 10 night Hawaii to Vancouver cruise and if ship is sailing we will be on it. If something happens and cruise is cancelled we already have 9 nights in Hawaii pre-cruise so will extend it a bit before flying home.

You mention financial burden for not purchasing insurance as if the traveler should bear the cost of any loss. But just wait to see how financially responsible the cruise lines are as we will be seeing them ask for and get a Government Bailout if this virus and public response remains on its current trajectory.

Supposedly DCL will let you rebook if you're sailing in the next two weeks for $300. This is from someone on our April 18 cruise group message space elsewhere on the interwebs.

@Numtini : we are on the April 18 cruise too (Fantasy, right?). Is there a group message space I can join? Just interested on the April 18th cruise chatter in general and ppl opinion on the coronavirus :)
(I guessed it's a public group.... totally understand if instead is a private message board :))

I think if the quarantine on the diamond princess hadn’t happened people would be less likely to cancel.

I believe that the DP played a big role, but so too does the Westerdam, Grand Princess, and the Ship that didn't go into port for a few days around Jamaica (a week or two ago). It makes the whole cruising prospect seem.. volatile, which is not exactly what people are looking for on their vacations. The Unknown is a Cruel Mistress.

My degree was in Risk Assessment.. luckily I got to deal with things like steel beams, home owners policies, and hard numbers. When we started talking about the psychological aspects of risk, the general consensus was- throw your hands up in the air, because no one is going to listen to the numbers correctly anyway. ESPECIALLY when mortality is involved.

Just FYI since I know some of you are booked on MSC but like to hang out here. It looks like they are canceling some of the rebookings that were made. So, if you rebooked, check with your tA. If you are considering rebooking rather than losing some$, take this into consideration.

Has anyone seen the latest list of countries not being allowed to board? Last letter I saw had Japan at the bottom... effecting me, but now that the numbers in other countries such as France and Germany have surpassed Japan, I’d be interested to see if the list is longer now. Three days ago when we got the news I was disappointed, but I wasn’t angry because I expected it. Now I’m overjoyed that we got booted. It turned out so much better for us.

I believe that the DP played a big role, but so too does the Westerdam, Grand Princess, and the Ship that didn't go into port for a few days around Jamaica (a week or two ago). It makes the whole cruising prospect seem.. volatile, which is not exactly what people are looking for on their vacations. The Unknown is a Cruel Mistress.

My degree was in Risk Assessment.. luckily I got to deal with things like steel beams, home owners policies, and hard numbers. When we started talking about the psychological aspects of risk, the general consensus was- throw your hands up in the air, because no one is going to listen to the numbers correctly anyway. ESPECIALLY when mortality is involved.
And the Norway cruise and Greek cruise as well... 🙈

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter