Confirmed runDisney Virtual race series

the thought that I "earn" a medal by doing a long run I would have had on my schedule anyway is a little silly to me. :confused3

As a previous poster said...a "race" is just another scheduled run...

I've had a real problem in the past to put in the training time I need, so... to have a medal sitting there, waiting for me, is MAJOR motivation to do the training. We did the Molly Weasley Ugly Jumper (Sweater for the Americans) Run virtual, and the medals sat in their bubblewrap until we did it. DS and I ran it over two days (b/c that's possible with virtuals) *on a cruise ship*. We were going to do the whole thing at once but slept in and by the time we were ready to run it was broiling. So we split it up. Dh was walking everywhere on the ship like crazy, even more walking than usual, and on the day he chose, once his fitbit hit the mileage he asked to have it awarded to him.

It works for us. :)

On topic for Virtuals, OFF topic for Disney...

I will admit to being tempted by some of the Hogwarts Running Club events, though, geek that I am...

Do it....

I had to check this out. This is seriously cool!

Do it!

I haven't signed up for one yet, but someone I know introduced me to Hogwarts Running Club and it is pretty amazing. I do want to do one of those at some point (huge Harry Potter fan here).

They have the TimeTurner even towards the end of the year where you can sign up for (aka "buy the medals" for those possibly more cynical, alternatively known as realistic...make your choice) for all of the events from that year. It's a good chunk of change all at once, but if you were underemployed in January but found a job in September, it works! I discovered HRC (Hogwarts Running Club...the initials do confuse some who follow politics LOL) during that event last year. :)

We'll have Umbridge Run medals coming in soon, and once we all get in our 13K (or until it sinks in), we'll award them to each other. (we were supposed to do it last weekend but we didn't. oh well!)

It's all quite fun. :) (and the Umbridge run charity makes up duffel bags of stuff for foster kids...one cannot argue with that charity, that's for sure!)

@bumbershoot is there an age restriction for the HRC do you know? DD will soon be 9, but the site won't let me create an acct for her. Thx!

Last edited:
To participate in the runs no- you can add registrations for anyone (my husband doesn't participate in the fb groups or charity miles groups) but he does sign up for the runs under his 'house' and quite a few sign their kids up To run

to participate in the forums etc would be Facebooks requirements (there are very few to no one under high teens though that post so it prob wouldn't be too fun but it's clean so if you share a house you could share the info)

Again, NO JUDGEMENT to anyone who does them. I get that it works for people but they do not appeal to me personally.

Last edited:
To participate in the runs no- you can add registrations for anyone (my husband doesn't participate in the fb groups or charity miles groups) but he does sign up for the runs under his 'house' and quite a few sign their kids up To run

to participate in the forums etc would be Facebooks requirements (there are very few to no one under high teens though that post so it prob wouldn't be too fun but it's clean so if you share a house you could share the info)
That makes sense! Thanks!

Any more details on this?

As for me, I've got no strong opinion on virtual races one way or another. I've done a couple, tied in with fund raising causes near and dear to my heart or because they're important to those I care about. I can also see why many people use them as motivation to get out there. Heck, I promise myself some kind of reward after almost run, so whatever it takes.

But because the bling isn't personally important to me, I don't know if a Disney virtual race would appeal to me. Even if it's bound to be less crowded than the corrals. :rotfl2:

still OT for Disney virtuals, sorry.

@bumbershoot is there an age restriction for the HRC do you know? DD will soon be 9, but the site won't let me create an acct for her. Thx!

Not to actually participate. I just register us all through my Active account and the difference is in the bib names I put in.

The community is amazing...I had a free day post-Princess and walked around Universal, stopping when my Garmin hit 3.94 miles, to think about Alan Rickman. (turn your books to page 394) I was a day or so late compared to when most were doing it, but that was OK. It was very cool.

Not to actually participate. I just register us all through my Active account and the difference is in the bib names I put in.
Thx! DD & I are in for the next one. Got sorted on Pottermore & joined the Ravenclaw group on FB. Seems like an awesome community of positive people. I like the Charity Miles APP. Going to try it out tonight :)

Sorry to hijack the thread everyone :o!

I was sorted into Ravenclaw a while back on Pottermore. Never heard of these races until now. May try one if the charity and medal interest me. The next race is announced in 2 days.

I never understood virtual runs until I found Hogwarts Running Club. The medals are great, the group is great and is everything is in the name of charity. It keeps me running for "something" in between Disney races. And I get Potter themed bling? I totally get it now. But, also ... #irunforbling so there's that.

During Dopey training last year, I did some virtuals via HRC and Make YES! Happen as carrots for those long training runs.

I liked the Make YES! Happen runs the most, because they link to Garmin devices and I would get updates during my training runs when I'd hit certain mile markers for that virtual race and when I finished, it almost was as if I'd crossed the finish line in a real-life race.

I get why people don't like them, but for me they were a nice little tax deduction and a motivation when those runs got hard during the depths of summer and fall.

To me every time I run is a training run for the next time I run.

I'm not a huge fan of virtuals and there would be no appeal for me if a Disney virtual was essentially just the same thing I'd get running in Disney (and I do the Disney races because I can run in Disney), but there are some virtuals I do like. I'm not into the HRCs myself (although I have considered them). What I run are the Zombies Run races. They give us special missions to listen to that are only available for those registered. It does add something that I'm listening to a mission I could not have listened to otherwise.

I'm really not sure how I'd feel about a Disney one, though. I can see the point that if the same as the in person races (medal, etc) that it might reduce the numbers who register for the in person race leaving more bibs available. On the other hand I cannot see Disney doing this. It seems like a huge risk that people might opt for that over actually registering for the in person. But it does open up more opportunities to make money which is right up Disney's alley.

My snap judgement (which I reserve the right to change at any date in the future :teeth:) - zero interest. Isn't most of the appeal of doing Disney races the fact that you're running...you know...THROUGH DISNEY? Seems like a blatant money grab.
Same here as an initial reaction, but I'm still listening... ... :scratchin

A virtual race has absolutely no appeal to me. I think they are pure rubbish. The only reason someone should do a virtual race is if there are no races near his/her location. If it's for a charity, just make a straight up donation and run a normal run. More money for the charity that is being taken away by the cost of the bid/medal/shirt/etc.

While medals are nice, they are simply a fringe benefit of doing a race. I race for the experience that race offers, not for medals, Swag, etc. if that stuff is the difference between having someone run vs sitting on a couch, so be it.

If this really does pan out for rD, I'm actually less likely to sign up for future rD events as it just seems they are steering away of providing unique run experiences and more focused on profit for the stakeholders and not participants.

Looks like this might be coming soon. There was a link and image/copy on the WDW pass holder page. It's been pulled but there were quite a few screen shots taken.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter