Coffee on the Verandah -The Last Slide, Recap & Souvies 5/29 - Link to Aulani TR 5/31

Wow, wow, wow!!! What a great AK day!!! Great surprises for the kids and you all made the most of it.

I'm impressed that you did all 3 shows!!! I still want to see Flights of Wonder sometime. We have been to the Lion King a couple of times and Finding Nemo once. I really love them both, but the boys are "meh". In fact, on the last trip, I had to bribe them

"We will go to Disney if you agree to see Lion King and Nemo". They agreed (trip was already booked, of course)

(A little OT here- last week was the middle school band concert. One of the selections for the 8th grade band was "Just Can't Wait to Be King")

That is great that Kendall and Jeff were the only ones on the Backstage Magic tour. Nice!

Loved the pictures of the gorilla lying down in the cave overhang.

Lots of EE- nothing wrong with that! I have done Primevil Whirl a couple of times. It is fun, but I'm always concerned that the spinning aspect will do me in.

I am very excited that your Aulani trip is SOOOOOO soon!!!

Pretty cool safari huh! Pretty neat to see how different their afternoon was, just fascinating.
Looks like an incredible experience. Probably even a little more special since they were the only ones!!!

So could Evan!

Oh wait, that was from yesterday when he jumped up on a rock and sang the Lion King. You’ll have to imagine baby Simba in his arms…
I can easily imagine it. You're raising this one well. :thumbsup2:rotfl::rotfl2:

Introduce Jeff to the single rider line of course!
Those boys have their AK priorities right. :thumbsup2

Its funny, I've read so much about this one I really wasn't sure what to expect but some of the nicknames had me expecting well, more than it actually was.
Oh, you know how nicknames can be. And it isn't like anything in the Disney community ever gets exaggerated. It will always be known as Primeval Hurl to me. :lmao:

Yep, we hit the 4:30 FOLK, powered our way through 2 rides each and made it in time for the 6pm show. Go us!
Wow!!! Talk about maximizing a park day!

Yeah…my kids MILK the DDP when we get it.
You're definitely raising them right! That's rule #1 of using the DDP. Get the most expensive thing on the menu.

As we walked out Evan had this to say about the day.

Now THAT’S how you do a park! BEST PARK DAY EVER!
I can't argue with that. In fact, I was thinking that as I read along with this update. You saw both shows, you rode basically everything, and the boys got 7 rides on EE. Seems like the perfect day to me. :thumbsup2

Wow, your weekend sounds packed like mine despite the kids. I have tons to do too but we are not leaving till next Friday night. I had to actually find what page we were on in Memom's report. It was page 40. We had a Dismeet at DHS with Memom and Kay. She took a picture of us and ScottNY posted it. I took one of her too with me and need to post it some time. We all know how much she loves pictures.:rotfl2:

I saw that one, but assumed it was a local meet not the FB pic Scott posted so will go back and check it out! Yes, she loves being IN the picture :lmao:

I totally forgot that we had a tree guy coming yesterday so between that, getting Eric from one camp to another and work, it was a crazy day! Poor kid, probably should have had him skip the Camporee, he was toast! I pray he slept in the van on the way there and got sleep last night so he's ok for the rest of the weekend. Good news is that by being "forced" to work from home for part of it due to the tree work, I got a lot of trip related stuff done. Bad news is I now have some work to do over the weekend but I think it's manageable. Jeff is officially on vacation as of today, the brat!

We have not decided on restaurants yet. I have the days pretty much planned, but still deciding on restaurants. I have thought about cooking in the room some since this was supposed to be a very low key relaxing trip. We did the usual sightseeing stuff last year when we took my nephew. However, plans change as always and we are going hiking and back to Kualoa Ranch with the boys. I did not get to shop in Waikiki last year so that is a must. I just love it there. Hope you get everything done this weekend!

Where are you going hiking? We plan to hike but I've been remiss in mapping it out. I have some notes and ideas but no actual plans. Right now I do have ressies at both the Aulani restaurants but at least one is going to move nights if nothing else and beyond that, just a list. We are in a studio which complicates the coooking in the room but it's doable so more a matter of how many nights out versus in. I did make a grocery list at least :goodvibes

You have it all planned Pat!!!

Impressive!

Amen to that!!!

It's funny, the day you posted this, I was reminiscing with my husband about last year's class trip with Nate- the 8th graders this year are getting ready to go, and I have been helping out a bit even though I don't have a student going this year.

My husband says "You should go with them" (The teachers and administration would totally love that)

Ummm... not exactly the non-family trip I had in mind!

Girls trip girls trip, Dee needs a GIRLS (or adult only) trip. I'll just keep repeating myself.

Wow, wow, wow!!! What a great AK day!!! Great surprises for the kids and you all made the most of it.

I'm impressed that you did all 3 shows!!! I still want to see Flights of Wonder sometime. We have been to the Lion King a couple of times and Finding Nemo once. I really love them both, but the boys are "meh". In fact, on the last trip, I had to bribe them

"We will go to Disney if you agree to see Lion King and Nemo". They agreed (trip was already booked, of course)

(A little OT here- last week was the middle school band concert. One of the selections for the 8th grade band was "Just Can't Wait to Be King")

Not OT at all, Evan had some at his last concert as well, though it was a mix of Disney Music. Loved it! I was happy I didn't have to bribe AND that they liked it!

It was a great day.

That is great that Kendall and Jeff were the only ones on the Backstage Magic tour. Nice!

Loved the pictures of the gorilla lying down in the cave overhang.

Lots of EE- nothing wrong with that! I have done Primevil Whirl a couple of times. It is fun, but I'm always concerned that the spinning aspect will do me in.

I am very excited that your Aulani trip is SOOOOOO soon!!!

I know, the private tour was pretty sweet! I need to get cracking on Aulani stuff. Like TODAY!

Looks like an incredible experience. Probably even a little more special since they were the only ones!!!

I think so

I can easily imagine it. You're raising this one well. :thumbsup2:rotfl::rotfl2:

It was a proud moment

Those boys have their AK priorities right. :thumbsup2

another proud moment

Oh, you know how nicknames can be. And it isn't like anything in the Disney community ever gets exaggerated. It will always be known as Primeval Hurl to me. :lmao:

:lmao:

Wow!!! Talk about maximizing a park day!

We were all proud at that point

You're definitely raising them right! That's rule #1 of using the DDP. Get the most expensive thing on the menu.

Exactly!

I can't argue with that. In fact, I was thinking that as I read along with this update. You saw both shows, you rode basically everything, and the boys got 7 rides on EE. Seems like the perfect day to me. :thumbsup2

What more could you want? Honestly I can't think of a thing I'd change. Perfect.

OMG, I've never seen the FOLK and now I want to. I always dismiss the stage shows :blush: and know we're missing out.

Wow, your day was super busy! At least you were able to work on the trip some. I have packed a little and I spent the rest of the day getting our boys ready for their golf tournament tomorrow. Luckily, Little League baseball was cancelled today for rain! :rolleyes1 We plan on hiking to the top of Diamond Head, the trail to Makapu'u Lighthouse, and possibly to the Pillboxes at Lanikai. I thought about Manoa Falls, but may not go this trip. We had thought about eating at MonkeyPods the first night. I have heard mixed reviews so not sure. I would like to eat at Roy's too. My boys are going to play golf at Ko Olina also.

I will be on yet another trip in 12 days !!! I have done my initial pack , except I need socks ,I just have this thing about new ones on each of my trips !!!:rotfl2:

OMG, I've never seen the FOLK and now I want to. I always dismiss the stage shows :blush: and know we're missing out.

You are :goodvibes there are some great ones!

Wow, your day was super busy! At least you were able to work on the trip some. I have packed a little and I spent the rest of the day getting our boys ready for their golf tournament tomorrow. Luckily, Little League baseball was cancelled today for rain! :rolleyes1

YAY for rain! :lmao:

We plan on hiking to the top of Diamond Head, the trail to Makapu'u Lighthouse, and possibly to the Pillboxes at Lanikai. I thought about Manoa Falls, but may not go this trip. We had thought about eating at MonkeyPods the first night. I have heard mixed reviews so not sure. I would like to eat at Roy's too. My boys are going to play golf at Ko Olina also.

We get in so late the first night I think we will likely eat on the plane or if needed just order some room service, I don't think with the time difference we will even want to stop at ABC lol! I've spent the day re-jiggering dining and spa plans (after the gym and my mani pedi lol) and right now am looking at breakfast Ama Ama, Dinners at Monkeypod and Makahiki as our "for sure" plans and then some flexible ones, maybe Roy's, Kona Brewing, Aloha Beer or Gastropub and I've noted a few spots for either lunch or happy hour on the North Shore, thinking a morning hike at Ka'ena, afternoon Northshore beach with lunch and/or happy hour there too. Probably at least 2 dinners at the villa and one at my cousins. I gave up the killer spa treatment I'd booked for just myself in lieu of a couples massage..Jeff decided he was in for sure so that should be fun! Luckily the hydrotherapy garden is supposed to reopen on the 22nd so we should be ok. I do want to figure out if there is a cheaper snorkel rental than the Aulani length of stay but haven't looked into it yet.

Hiking we plan to hit Diamond Head and I think Ka'ena. Maybe Waimea but we will see. Jeff wants to hit Hanauma again but we will see how much we really feel like leaving the resort. And really, with any of it we may completely change our mind once there. He also wants to do a bike ride and I've done zero research on that so far.

I will be on yet another trip in 12 days !!! I have done my initial pack , except I need socks ,I just have this thing about new ones on each of my trips !!!:rotfl2:

Holy Cats Rosie! Is that a free trip or a non work one? You need one that is really a VACATION!

Your plans sound great. I think we are skipping Hanauma Bay this year. We are going to Kauai after Aulani and will snorkel there. We always use Snorkel Bob's for snorkel rentals when we go to Hawaii. The only problem is that the only location on Oahu we could find last year was on the east side of Waikiki. I have no idea why there is so few locations on Oahu.

Hi Cynthia, I am back from my trip and caught up on your TR. It is amazing how much you were able to fit into that last day! Having dinner inside AK and then walking out of the empty park sounds like a perfect ending to the trip. I think AK is so pretty with all the different lights at night and it is a shame that there are only so few chances to experience the park after dark now that they eliminated EEMH there...

Have a fantastic trip to Hawaii, can't wait to hear about Aulani from you!

And Nemo, we haven't seen Nemo either. :blush: Looks a fantastic day at AK. Its a great park. :thumbsup2

Nemo is adorable!!! you must see it. Honestly other than Beauty and the Beast, I think the AK shows are the best in all of WDW

Your plans sound great. I think we are skipping Hanauma Bay this year. We are going to Kauai after Aulani and will snorkel there. We always use Snorkel Bob's for snorkel rentals when we go to Hawaii. The only problem is that the only location on Oahu we could find last year was on the east side of Waikiki. I have no idea why there is so few locations on Oahu.

LOVE Snorkel Bob's, that is who we used on the Big Island on our last trip. I think it will come down to whether we want it for the whole week and if so will likely just buy, it's probably easier and cheaper. Got some bike info together today so now it's just a matter of picking what we want to do and of course we may stumble across something better once there (so if we do book online for the bike, will wait till we are there to do it I think). May likely add in the Koko Head hike before dinner at my cousins as it is super close to her house. Of course we will be gross and sweaty if we do that but I'm not sure how else to fit it in as I don't really want to make 3 trips down that way and think we can do Diamond Head and HBay on the same day as that's a super short hike. May add in a bike ride into that mix which would be a cool, but full, day. The more I dig, the more VERY active our trip could end up being...although I'm not starting any of that stuff until day 3 of the trip so we should be up for it. I'll PM you my cell, it would just be wrong if we don't connect and at least say hi! :thumbsup2

Hi Cynthia, I am back from my trip and caught up on your TR. It is amazing how much you were able to fit into that last day! Having dinner inside AK and then walking out of the empty park sounds like a perfect ending to the trip. I think AK is so pretty with all the different lights at night and it is a shame that there are only so few chances to experience the park after dark now that they eliminated EEMH there...

Have a fantastic trip to Hawaii, can't wait to hear about Aulani from you!

Welcome home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You missed the T shirt guessing contest on the other TR, you'd have had the inside track. No one guessed the Germany WS tees for the boys :rotfl:

I hope you had a wonderful wonderful trip, any luck on the sundress front? Are you going to do a TR? Please please pretty please? :)

It was an amazing last day at AK, couldn't have asked for more.

I love Snorkel Bob's too! It is weird that they only have one location on Oahu. Your schedule is getting busier and busier! That sounds like us. I think of new things I want to do everyday. I will send you a PM too. It would be great to meet you for at least a minute!

Just stopping by to say that I hope you have a wonderful time on your couples trip to Aulani!

One More Day! Woo Hoo! :cool1:

Welcome home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You missed the T shirt guessing contest on the other TR, you'd have had the inside track. No one guessed the Germany WS tees for the boys :rotfl:

I hope you had a wonderful wonderful trip, any luck on the sundress front? Are you going to do a TR? Please please pretty please? :)

It was an amazing last day at AK, couldn't have asked for more.

Oh! I would have know the answer to the t-shirt question!!! I was wearing my American Adventure one a few times!I really like it a lot, it is just a bit big - and I was afraid that it would be too tight...

The trip was so perfect! I am now totally hooked on cruising. What a relaxing way of vacationing! :cloud9:

And yes, even though I ended up having less time for shopping than I first thought (the pool at the hotel in Fort Lauderdale was very nice and sooo relaxing ;)), I was succesful in the sundress hunt and it came from one of the stores which you suggested. I ended up wearing the dress for boarding the Disney Wonder and Palo brunch. I have started writing something for the trip report, hope to get it started in the next few days!

That last update was huge! I am probably going to forget things :rotfl2:

- The backstage safari looks like fun, and the sleeping gorilla is hilarious!
- FOTLK is a great show, and what amazing seats you got! It is tough to take pictures in there but I think that you got a bunch that turned out really well
- The Nemo show is adorable, I'm glad that you finally got to see it
- I've never eaten at Y&Y, but man, does that food look yummy!
- I love how it was the best park day evern :goodvibes That is what it is all about!

I hope that you have an amazing time at Aulani!! I am so so jealous!

Aloha and have a wonderful couples trip!! We are now considering it for our spring break in 2014, so I'll be looking for lots of info from you! Take good notes! :)

I love Snorkel Bob's too! It is weird that they only have one location on Oahu. Your schedule is getting busier and busier! That sounds like us. I think of new things I want to do everyday. I will send you a PM too. It would be great to meet you for at least a minute!

that is odd, they seem to have ton of locations everywhere else! I just have to survive the next 24 hours at this point. Work is nuts, but isn't that always the case?

Just stopping by to say that I hope you have a wonderful time on your couples trip to Aulani!

One More Day! Woo Hoo! :cool1:

and it's going to be a LONG one :lmao:

I was really hoping to get my last day up before I leave but that is looking increasingly less likely. Rats!

Oh! I would have know the answer to the t-shirt question!!! I was wearing my American Adventure one a few times!I really like it a lot, it is just a bit big - and I was afraid that it would be too tight...

Yes you would have! They are super cute tee shirts and so soft...I wish there was a womens cut version.

The trip was so perfect! I am now totally hooked on cruising. What a relaxing way of vacationing! :cloud9:

And yes, even though I ended up having less time for shopping than I first thought (the pool at the hotel in Fort Lauderdale was very nice and sooo relaxing ;)), I was succesful in the sundress hunt and it came from one of the stores which you suggested. I ended up wearing the dress for boarding the Disney Wonder and Palo brunch. I have started writing something for the trip report, hope to get it started in the next few days!

I am so happy it was such a wonderful trip, you deserved it! :cool1: I cannot wait to hear about it.

That last update was huge! I am probably going to forget things :rotfl2:

- The backstage safari looks like fun, and the sleeping gorilla is hilarious!
- FOTLK is a great show, and what amazing seats you got! It is tough to take pictures in there but I think that you got a bunch that turned out really well
- The Nemo show is adorable, I'm glad that you finally got to see it
- I've never eaten at Y&Y, but man, does that food look yummy!
- I love how it was the best park day evern :goodvibes That is what it is all about!

I hope that you have an amazing time at Aulani!! I am so so jealous!

They got some great pics on their safari, I loved it. We did get amazing seats for FOLK, I was thrilled! Y&Y is super yummy, very glad we ended up there.

It really was the best park day ever, from start to finish. Can't ask more than that!

Aloha and have a wonderful couples trip!! We are now considering it for our spring break in 2014, so I'll be looking for lots of info from you! Take good notes! :)

I will try! 25 hours from now I will be on the plane

:cheer2: :beach:

Cynthia, I wanted to stop by and say Aloha...have a wonderful, wonderful time. I can't wait to read all about it when I get back from my trip and the wedding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter