Closures list 12-01 Whoa Nellie

Haunted Mansion always closes the first day after the Christmas season and is usually back up and running within a couple weeks unless there is a longer refurbishment tacked on. Splash Mountain and Grizzly River Run often close in the winter for some period of time for their annual refurbishments. The Paradise Pier re-theme was announced at D23 and then again more recently on the Disney Parks blog. The California Screamin' update is going to be a re-theme to The Incredibles. They put summer 2018 since they don't have a firm date yet. My guess is they are shooting for Memorial Day or at the latest the summer release of the new Incredibles movie. The rest of the pier stuff is supposed to be ready by then as well but may be sooner since some of the Pixar stuff kicks off in the spring.

Expect more refurbs to be added to that list. Clearly those are only the things starting January 8. There will be additional overlap since we know It's a Small World will go down later in January to remove the holiday overlay. There is also the update coming to Pirates of the Caribbean for which Disney has not given a date, but between January and May would seem a likely time. And who knows what else they might be planning to work on?

Haunted Mansion always closes the first day after the Christmas season and is usually back up and running within a couple weeks unless there is a longer refurbishment tacked on. Splash Mountain and Grizzly River Run often close in the winter for some period of time for their annual refurbishments. The Paradise Pier re-theme was announced at D23 and then again more recently on the Disney Parks blog. The California Screamin' update is going to be a re-theme to The Incredibles. They put summer 2018 since they don't have a firm date yet. My guess is they are shooting for Memorial Day or at the latest the summer release of the new Incredibles movie. The rest of the pier stuff is supposed to be ready by then as well but may be sooner since some of the Pixar stuff kicks off in the spring.

Expect more refurbs to be added to that list. Clearly those are only the things starting January 8. There will be additional overlap since we know It's a Small World will go down later in January to remove the holiday overlay. There is also the update coming to Pirates of the Caribbean for which Disney has not given a date, but between January and May would seem a likely time. And who knows what else they might be planning to work on?
POTC is the one bugging me. Replacing an entire scene sounds like a big project.

I would rather they say "unknown" for a return time then to give a date and not have it open by then.
Like the fiasco for the BTMRR refurbishment a few years ago... That one went on and on and on.....

I'm looking forward to a ride on CS one last time Dec 12th. It will be down for the following two trips (January and March) I have booked.

I really hope that the original version of Haunted Mansion is open by February 3. Historically, it looks like it has been. My husband has never been the the original version--only the Nightmare Before Christmas version--and he really wants to see the original.

If you ever (assuming you haven't) do ToT at WDW! They still have it and I actually liked it better!
I've actually been to WDW twice but don't remember because I went when I was pretty young. So even if I was there I would've been too small (and scared,lol) to do ToT. One day I hope to travel back there and visit again :)

Ohh, too bad about the redwood challenge going down, we love that one. Everything else is going down after we leave on the 7th. APs expire at end of January and This is helping me with my decision to not renew

Totally slipped my mind they are redoing the pier...I’m still not sure how I feel about it. I’m still sad Tower of Terror is gone. That was my favorite. :( lol

Same! Was nice going to WDW this year...like visiting an old friend.

I've actually been to WDW twice but don't remember because I went when I was pretty young. So even if I was there I would've been too small (and scared,lol) to do ToT. One day I hope to travel back there and visit again :)

The load is a lot different, you actually travel through some scenes before getting into the elevator-way cool. Drops at WDW TOT were better than CA version as well, much more random. That being said, the drops on GOTG are better than the previous CA TOT version. I would have been ok with just changing the drop sequences and left the TOT theming, but GOTG is ok.

I still want to know what date "Summer 18" implies. We're going the last week in May and my husband wants to ride CS very badly!

I'm not going to feel too sorry for him if it's closed. Last time we went, Soarin' was down and that's my favorite ride. He'll get over it, right??

I still want to know what date "Summer 18" implies. We're going the last week in May and my husband wants to ride CS very badly!

I'm not going to feel too sorry for him if it's closed. Last time we went, Soarin' was down and that's my favorite ride. He'll get over it, right??

My guess is that Disney doesn't put the exact date out so far in advance because either they aren't sure yet themselves if they can hit a particular date or they don't want the public outcry if problems come up that set them behind or both. "Summer" lately for Disney has meant Memorial Day weekend, so I'm guessing that's their target internally. If the timeline gets set back, they have plenty of days after that are considered summer to choose as their opening date, and I don't think they will announce an actual date until they are a good way through the work and have a reasonable amount of confidence of making the deadline.

That’s quite the list!

Might have to send my first-ever Disney complaint letter - if I’m being made to pay the same as people going over the summer who get the full ride roster, that many attractions down at one time is not particularly acceptable to me.

That’s quite the list!

Might have to send my first-ever Disney complaint letter - if I’m being made to pay the same as people going over the summer who get the full ride roster, that many attractions down at one time is not particularly acceptable to me.
Yes, I was thinking this myself!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter