Closures list 12-01 Whoa Nellie

Might have to send my first-ever Disney complaint letter - if I’m being made to pay the same as people going over the summer who get the full ride roster, that many attractions down at one time is not particularly acceptable to me.
You could CHOOSE to go at another time when so many rides are not down.

That’s quite the list!

Might have to send my first-ever Disney complaint letter - if I’m being made to pay the same as people going over the summer who get the full ride roster, that many attractions down at one time is not particularly acceptable to me.

Ha ha. Complain away. Actually, in all seriousness, I do believe it's important to give both bad and good feedback to companies that you patronize because many times management doesn't know what is going on unless a customer comments.

I don't think your comments about closures will mean much to Disney though. Closures during this time of year are common. Here's the list from this time last year as reported by MousePlanet:

• Pioneer Mercantile – closes January 9 for refurbishment. Reopening date not yet published, but after February 5.
  • Haunted Mansion Holiday – closed January 9–19 for removal of the holiday overlay.
  • Jingle Cruise – closed January 9 – February 2 for removal of the holiday overlay.
  • "it's a small world" – closed January 22 – February 2 for removal of the holiday overlay.
  • Pirates of the Caribbean – closed for refurbishment February 3 – March 15.
The following attractions are all closed for Star Wars Land-related construction around the Rivers of America, and are expected to reopen in spring 2017 or later:

• Disneyland Railroad
  • Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes
  • Fantasmic!
  • Pirates Lair on Tom Sawyer Island
  • Sailing Ship Columbia
  • Mark Twain Riverboat
Disney California Adventure

• Muppet*Vision 3D – closed indefinitely. The theater has been renamed the Sunset Showcase Theater, and will likely be used for movie previews until a permanent replacement is found.
  • The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror – closes January 3 for transformation into a new Guardians of the Galaxy attraction.
  • Grizzly River Run – closed January 9 – February 14 for refurbishment.
  • Redwood Creek Challenge Trail – closed January 17 – February 23 for annual refurbishment and ropes replacement.
Technically since Disney has instituted multi-tier pricing on one-day tickets they do offer different pricing based on time of year. Multi-day tickets are always a cost savings compared to buying multiple one-day tickets, so I don't think they are concerned with offering further discounts on those. Hotels sometimes cost a bit less during these "off-season" times than at more peak times of the year if other events in the area haven't driven prices up.

You have the option to consider a different time of year to visit the parks if your schedule and budget allow if you find the closures too disheartening. These days when you visit it's likely that someone's favorite attraction will be down since maintenance is a year-round project, but you are correct that there are times of the year when fewer things are closed at once. If you must go at this time of year, I suggest your best option is to work through any disappointments before you get there so that you can go in with a positive attitude and enjoy what the park does have to offer you.

Last edited:
Yeah, this was a deciding factor for us when we were weighing the pros and cons of staying offsite or splurge for the grand californian for our february 2018 visit. Spending over $600 CAD a night would not be worth it when half of DCA will be closed for refurb

That’s quite the list!

I'm not worried about the list for my trips.
The list of closures for early 2013 was the worst I'd ever seen.

Any word on Pirates? Im hoping GRR is a short closure. It wasn't open last visit when we went late spring. Hoping with all the other closures in CA most other rides will be open.

Ha ha. Complain away. Actually, in all seriousness, I do believe it's important to give both bad and good feedback to companies that you patronize because many times management doesn't know what is going on unless a customer comments.

I don't think your comments about closures will mean much to Disney though. Closures during this time of year are common. Here's the list from this time last year as reported by MousePlanet:

• Pioneer Mercantile – closes January 9 for refurbishment. Reopening date not yet published, but after February 5.
  • Haunted Mansion Holiday – closed January 9–19 for removal of the holiday overlay.
  • Jingle Cruise – closed January 9 – February 2 for removal of the holiday overlay.
  • "it's a small world" – closed January 22 – February 2 for removal of the holiday overlay.
  • Pirates of the Caribbean – closed for refurbishment February 3 – March 15.
The following attractions are all closed for Star Wars Land-related construction around the Rivers of America, and are expected to reopen in spring 2017 or later:

• Disneyland Railroad
  • Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes
  • Fantasmic!
  • Pirates Lair on Tom Sawyer Island
  • Sailing Ship Columbia
  • Mark Twain Riverboat
Disney California Adventure

• Muppet*Vision 3D – closed indefinitely. The theater has been renamed the Sunset Showcase Theater, and will likely be used for movie previews until a permanent replacement is found.
  • The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror – closes January 3 for transformation into a new Guardians of the Galaxy attraction.
  • Grizzly River Run – closed January 9 – February 14 for refurbishment.
  • Redwood Creek Challenge Trail – closed January 17 – February 23 for annual refurbishment and ropes replacement.
Technically since Disney has instituted multi-tier pricing on one-day tickets they do offer different pricing based on time of year. Multi-day tickets are always a cost savings compared to buying multiple one-day tickets, so I don't think they are concerned with offering further discounts on those. Hotels sometimes cost a bit less during these "off-season" times than at more peak times of the year if other events in the area haven't driven prices up.

You have the option to consider a different time of year to visit the parks if your schedule and budget allow if you find the closures too disheartening. These days when you visit it's likely that someone's favorite attraction will be down since maintenance is a year-round project, but you are correct that there are times of the year when fewer things are closed at once. If you must go at this time of year, I suggest your best option is to work through any disappointments before you get there so that you can go in with a positive attitude and enjoy what the park does have to offer you.
This sends quite outdated. How recent is this post

Yeah, this was a deciding factor for us when we were weighing the pros and cons of staying offsite or splurge for the grand californian for our february 2018 visit. Spending over $600 CAD a night would not be worth it when half of DCA will be closed for refurb
5 rides on Paradise Pier area will be down. Not "half of DCA".

This is a bummer for our trip planned Jan 28-Feb 2. Splash and Dumbo :( Hopefully not IASW too.

Not even 5 rides. From what I can see GSS will open before the others close. So it's just CS and the Fun Wheel down at the same time, and GSS which is typical for that time of year. Plus the little carnival games and whatnot - those little things always make the list look long but I doubt most people would notice their absence. I'll miss CS because it's one of my favorites, but even if they weren't retheming it would still have to go down for refurb at some point, so I'll just have to deal with it. To me it seems pretty reasonable for that time of year, but I suppose that depends on your ride priorities.

This is a bummer for our trip planned Jan 28-Feb 2. Splash and Dumbo :( Hopefully not IASW too.
IASW will likely be down. It goes down for it's holiday removal after HM comes back online. HM is suppose to go down starting on Jan 8 and should come back online on Jan 19. IASW is usually down for a little longer for it's holiday removal

Yes yes it was obviously an exaggeration but between Paradise Pier, all the other scheduled refurbs including Disneyland plus the potential for more in February or March it's a lot of closures and as previous posters mentioned it's a double whammy to be paying full price as well. We will still have lots of fun on our upcoming trip but I do feel Disney should get rid of scheduling refurbs all at the same time and just spread them out throughout the year as there is no such thing as a "slow season" anymore.

Last edited:
This sends quite outdated. How recent is this post

That was my point. I was showing that Jan. 2017 had even more closures than are known so far for Jan. 2018. That was the closure list for this year (I referred to it as last year by mistake because I guess my brain had moved on to 2018 when reading the op's list).

Does anyone know if parades often go on hiatus starting January 8th as well? I might just need to be more patient to see if they will add it to the schedule, but I was curious if there is often a parade break between the seasons?

Does anyone know if parades often go on hiatus starting January 8th as well? I might just need to be more patient to see if they will add it to the schedule, but I was curious if there is often a parade break between the seasons?
Not typically but given that Fantasmic is on the schedule nightly starting on January 8 I'm not expecting the parade to be added in.

I know what a bummer it is to have a ride down but I look at it like this...DL is open every day. Working on the rides once in a while is needed for safety too. I don’t ride fair or carnival rides, they don’t feel safe to me. But I think Disney rides are safe and being down once in a while is worth it to me.

There’s different ways of thinking about this. If it were ME, I’d actually be more swayed to stayed onsite because of closures. Because more closures may equal more time at the hotel, I’d want my hotel to feel very vacationy. With our upcoming trip this month, I don’t expect to be hitting the parks as hard as I normally do (due to crowds...not closures though) and that was one of the reasons I wanted to stay at GCH so bad - club level in fact. Because I wanted to spend time enjoying the beautiful resorts and taking advantage of DtD being right there. The convenience of GCH is so awesome, I’ve been known to run down for one ride I have a FP for and then get back to the hotel. But again, that’s how I would think of it. Staying off site would add to the disappointment of closures IMO.

Not typically but given that Fantasmic is on the schedule nightly starting on January 8 I'm not expecting the parade to be added in.

I'm guessing there won't be a parade for a few months. I think they are retiring Soundsational and the new Pixar parade isn't starting until April. Won't they reuse some of the vehicles from Soundsational for the new floats? I would think there is dismantling and new assembly to be done in the next few months.

Last edited:
So glad I'm not planning a trip for next month. That's a lot down. But January always seems to be this way.

Ohh, too bad about the redwood challenge going down, we love that one. Everything else is going down after we leave on the 7th. APs expire at end of January and This is helping me with my decision to not renew

I was thinking the same thing. Thank God I didn't renew for this upcoming year. That would've been a bad start to the year.

IASW will likely be down. It goes down for it's holiday removal after HM comes back online. HM is suppose to go down starting on Jan 8 and should come back online on Jan 19. IASW is usually down for a little longer for it's holiday removal

Hopefully they get rid of the FP for this ride. It really messed up the lines for the Christmas season.

So glad I'm not planning a trip for next month. That's a lot down. But January always seems to be this way.

I was thinking the same thing. Thank God I didn't renew for this upcoming year. That would've been a bad start to the year.

Hopefully they get rid of the FP for this ride. It really messed up the lines for the Christmas season.
I think this FP integration is permanent given the permanent features that were added in at the entrance to the ride and the fp distribution area.

I actually was happy it had FP. :duck: (NOTE: This does NOT mean I want them to add FP to a whole bunch of other stuff). It's the only reason we were able to ride it just after sunset 2 of the evenings we were there. But the lines? :faint: I think they got too ambitious with how many FPs they issued. When we got there Saturday evening the FP return line was back to the Small World gift shop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter