cheapest or weirdest thing you have ever seen in disney restaurant or food court.

True. I did my first solo trip in May '05. I had a great time and had planned to try to spread a little pixie dust before I even left home. One day I was standing in line to get a Dole Whip float, when I overheard the dad behind me telling his two kids that all they could get was a dole whip in a cup, because they couldn't afford the float. The little boy was really upset saying he really wanted a dole whip float and asking if they couldn't cut down somewhere else. The dad had to tell him no. When I finally got to order, I ordered five Dole whip floats and whispered to the CM to give four to the family behind me. As I was walking away I heard the little boy ask, "why did she do that dad?" and the dad said he didn't know. I started to just keep walking, but instead turned back, winked, smiled, and said 'because my grandaughter is your age and loves dole whip floats, but couldn't come with me this trip. I'm missing her, so do me a big favor and eat it for her." I then laughed and left, with the dad looking at me in a puzzled way. I honestly didn't mean to eavesdrop, but if I hadn't overheard them I wouldn't have gotten to spread a little bit of pixie dust that day. It made me feel good and I hope that family too.

Awesome -thanks for telling us about this!!!

I was responding to dalto1 taking a dig at someone daring to use the word elitist. Personally, I agree with you that the comment about not being able to afford WDW was elitist.
Sorry, Chobie, for the misunderstanding. And thanks for the PM.

David

Ok so DH and I are sharers...when we do CS for any meals and all of our snacks we just share stuff...first of all I think that alot of the portions are just too big for one person. And second of all we get to eat more stuff if we share!!!

When I took my 2 nieces we brought in little bags of pretzels, fruit gummies and such so the kids would have something if they needed it....we also took in a bottle of water apiece (Dasani is so gross) and the security that check the bags never said a word.

Well, the cheapest thing I ever saw at a wdw foodcourt was my own FIL. He went into everything pop for coffee one morning and left with every cracker in the place. Luckily Dh and I weren't with him at the time, but he came running up to us at the bus stop bragging about how he stole all the crackers. How many crackers could it possibly be, I wondered? A lot...he opened up his bag to show us and there were enough crackers in there to feed a small country. All I could think was "Omg, I'm related to a fixins thief!" FIL munched on those stupid crackers all week and kept trying to pass them out to everyone (me, Dh, Dd, strangers on the bus). The funniest part was when we were getting ready to check out and he was telling Dh how he really liked the ddp, but he had all these snack credits left- seems like he was never hungry for them. Oh well, I guess disney made out pretty good since FIL paid for Mickey bars and popcorn but only ate saltines.

Now that is funny! :lmao: I too am related to somebody who likes to take more than his fair share of "fixins" based on the logic, "they're complementary, so why not take a bunch?" Though I don't think he's ever gone as far as to grab every last package of saltines or whatever.

David

We are always on the DDp when we go, But I will say that I do bring breakfast bars and poptarts for the rooms and raisens, fruit snacks and a ceral bar in my small back pack for my kids to munch on even though we get a snack a day, We also some times share a snack because my kids are 3 and five they don't eat a whole snack and sharing a group of grapes is not bad for two kids in a double stroller. At least I don't think so...

I like the DDP because I can budget for food cost ahead of time. I do pack snacks to have in the room because sometimes you just don't feel like going out for a quick bite or need a little something before your ADR.

I enjoy eating at nice places and am thankful when I can. Growing up my mom would have made this thread a few times I'm sure! She used to lie about my age, put condiments in her purse, share meals and pack meals for inside the park.

She is worse now than ever! She'll make the salad at the fixins' bar, say she is getting water and then get soda, etc. I get very angry when she does it and will pay for her when she isn't looking.

Not at Disney but another trip my DD wanted a cheeseburger. My mom throw a huge fit because "I'm not paying 50 cents for a slice of cheese". I told the woman at the counter to get us the burger and I was paying. My mom was very mad at me but I enjoy cheese on my burger and so does DD!

We did many lower than budget trips growing up and looking back I appreciate all my parents did to take us where we went. I'm also very thankful I can afford to take my children and not have to be as concerned as they were with my sister and I.

I think everyone should be able to go to Disney, if that means they have to pack their own food then good for them. I want to eat at TS places with everyone having their own meals and some day I hope we can stay at a Deluxe but I'll go during value season, use frequent flyer miles and do what I can to make it comfortable for us.

I don't mind people trying to save money. I do mind people cheating and stealing.

We bring our own breakfast food and sometimes eat it at the table at the food court. We buy milk for the cereal and sometimes some fruit so I feel justified in taking up a table. We also bring our own water because like the poster above me, we can't stand Dasani and we don't do juice or soda. We split lunches and snacks. I'm not sure which level of Dis hell that puts me in...

The only posts that bothered me here, though it is none of my business, is the ones where the wife/mother is not allowed to eat, but Dad gets a meal. Someone posted on another thread about saving money about how she buys her kids meals and her husband a meal and she eats their leftovers. What kind of man would scarf down a meal letting his wife go hungry hoping for a few leftover fries?

Wow, I guess I will be in Dis hell with you. I have never been, but we find we will have 3 days to spend in September. I had read about the big sandwiches at Earl of Sandwich and wondered about ordering 1 with lemonaide first for the 2 of us and seeing if that was enough and if not ordering a second or dessert later. I know its busy but we thought maybe in off hours we could get in. These places sound really really busy??!!

As far as the wife eating leftovers. That must be my mom you are talking about. She eats off of everyone's leftover chicken bones all the time, the rest of us would throw them away but she hates to see stuff go to waste, no changing her. She also weighs about 95 lbs and thin as a rail because she just nibbles. She also saves all the big pieces of chicken for my dad and cuts it and debones it. He complains if he is served meat with bones in it. So my mom eats off the bones. Guess I have a wierd family too.

If I split a sandwich at Earl of Sandwich with my sister this September or whatever we find along the way, I can see us being written up here :scared1:

Im just trying to get the lay of the land and learn about Disney before we show up at the gate. We are going on a cruise, the purpose is not to go to Disney, but we might as well check it out is all I want to do this trip. We have another cruise (Disney Magic) on booked in 2008 that info will help me plan. I learned about value hotels and free dining and all kinds of stuff. I must be queen of the cheapies. (hmmmm wondering if I can talk my sister into just bringing a empty bottle of water to refill lmao, she likes to spend )

I found this board because of cruising roll calls and decided to snoop on the park stuff while Im here. What a great site.

I only buy one meal between my two kids as it would be such a waste to buy two. We went out for dinner two nights ago and they didn't even finish that one meal between them.

You know, I loved canned corn, canned fruit, and canned soup. Yum!

I think the reason they were commenting as most folks heat up canned corn and soup. The fruit they mentioned was eaten later as a afterthought.

I dont eat my corn and soup cold.....I agree with the poster wierd to me. But if you like it cold...its ok too. I think everyone probably has something they eat that is wierd to someone else.

But - We do like an occasional snack, and our Disney vacation wouldn't be complete without a Dole Whip, School bread, etc. There is no way we could eat one each! For us, getting one Dole Whip float or one school bread and splitting it four ways is not a big deal.

I know this is supposed to be a funny thread, but so many great ideas. So Dole Whip is something made with pinneaple and good? What is school bread.

Like Santa Im making my list and checking it twice....Iv only got 3 days to taste things this trip. I have to say this is one of the best threads Iv found here popcorn::

Dh and I almost always share something:hug: - even though we aren't super thin, we just can't eat anywhere near as much as many of the portions at any restaurant. Seems silly to pay all that money to throw it away.

We stop at the grocery store when we first arrive and get our bottled water, then buy a styrofoam cooler and keep that in our room. (We have a fridge, but like to have extra cold water on hand!) :thumbsup2

We always buy some muffins, fruit, snacks (like almonds and cheese sticks), and one thing of laundry detergent. When we leave we leave the laundry det. in the laundry room hoping someone will be able to use it. We also leave any extra bottled/canned beverages, since we fly.

I wouldn't make a salad at the fixins bar - that just doesn't feel ok to me. There are plenty of ways to cut some costs without sacrificing anyone's fun. To us, good food counts as fun!
:grouphug:
denise

I know this is supposed to be a funny thread, but so many great ideas. So Dole Whip is something made with pinneaple and good? What is school bread.

Like Santa Im making my list and checking it twice....Iv only got 3 days to taste things this trip. I have to say this is one of the best threads Iv found here popcorn::

School bread is a raised sweet dough, filled with vanilla custard, with a sugar glaze and coconut on the outside.

School bread is a raised sweet dough, filled with vanilla custard, with a sugar glaze and coconut on the outside.

Yikes, well thanks for the warning, I can cross that off my list. Im highly allergic to coconut anything. It makes me throw up....not a good thing at Disney lol.

Well it sounded good until the coconut. thanks for the reply

I am a snacker-type eater. I would rather share several meals throughout the day then eat a huge one. Some people on this thread have some interesting opinions. They are entitled to them though. Personally I don't care what people think so it doesn't matter.
I make decent money so I am not forced to be thrify to afford the vacation, but there are times when I want to splurge and times when I want to save.

I am not a big fan of wasting food especially when pating for it! One of the greatest tips we got was to add an extra bun for a double cheesburger. I can't eat a double and neither can my kids so we get the extra bun and make two burgers. Some may think this is cheap. I think it is pretty smart because we save money and don't waste any food and generate more trash.

I can only drink so much soda and warm water so we take the powdered crystal light which I don't mind warm to drink when at the parks on hot days.

We also take cereal boxes, granola bars, goldfish, and juice boxes in our suitcases for the room. Some days we want to get to the parks quickly. We get milk the night before so in the morning we can eat in the room while getting ready and head out.

We also take our own glow necklaces and bracelets. We take extra to give out to kids at the parks too to spread a little pixie dust.

Don't worry. Disney is not getting short changed. I spend more than enough there to keep them from going bankrupt.

Just some tips for you fellow thrifty Disers...... :)

Now my hubby and I have done some of the things mentioned but not all. I draw the line at stealing and that is what you are doing when you 'share' a buffet meal or take seats away from paying customers. :eek:

Does not bother me one whit to see folks having a picnic with their own food HOWEVER my weirdest moment had to have been last trip. We went over to see the new POTC movie at DTD and the older couple sitting next to us had brought their own food. I am not talking a hidden snack but a complete meal, hard boiled eggs, salads, desserts, beverages etc. I swear they ate for the whole three hours. popcorn::

I remember when they had the picnic tables right outside the Garden Grill and families would picnic there. I always felt so sorry for the kids who could see the characters but were not allowed to actually visit with them. One time I snuck a couple of kids into our table so they could get autographs. I am a rebel. :rotfl2:

If someone sees me doing something they consider weird that is fine by me, lets someone else alone. :laughing:

Slightly Goofy (who says Go ahead and swing your arms, as long as you are not bumping into someone else)

I usually think the exact same thing. Most of the time I don't really notice, but when I do, I just hope that they are having the times of their lives!

I agree, it's very expensive to go to WDW these days. The food and drinks are outrageous! People do what they have to do, and we shouldn't judge. :hug:

Not cheap, just weird - and it was a little kid anyway.

We were at Hollywood & Vine back when it was a buffet. At the ice cream sundae making station, there was a little girl about 5 years old, with shorts and sandals on but no shirt, making a sundae out of nothing but sprinkles. It was whole dish filled with sprinkles and she walked away, topless, eating it with a spoon. :laughing: We still talk about that.

Yikes, well thanks for the warning, I can cross that off my list. Im highly allergic to coconut anything. It makes me throw up....not a good thing at Disney lol.

Well it sounded good until the coconut. thanks for the reply

You can get it without the coconut. I am also allergic, so I go in the mornings and they tell me when they will be making the next batch. I have only met 1 CM who wouldn't make me one without it. :goodvibes

ooooo. That's good to know, I hate coconut.

My son has had entire dishes of sprinkles from time to time at a buffet, especially when he was about 4ish. Little kids adore rainbow sprinkles. He was wearing a shirt at the time though. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter