cheapest or weirdest thing you have ever seen in disney restaurant or food court.

dalt01

DIS Veteran
i will start. 2 adults 3 children come into the food court at POR with paper cups, loaf of bread, bag of chips and a jar of PB. buy 1 drink and proceed to pour it into the paper cups then refill it. get some paper plates and a plastic knife and sit there and eat PB sandwiches.:) not judging them, to each his own budget.

I was in MK, my wife and I got a Dole whip Float each, and a family of 4 sat down next to us. A father, mother, and two daughters around 10 and 12 years old, they split a small soft serve dole ice cream, and almost shot dole juice out of my nose when the father says mommy gets first taste, hell the soft serve was so small, there wasn't much after her taste. Then when they were down, the father hmmm that sure hit the spot, he must had a small stomach.

A few years ago I was at the Food & Fun Center in the Contemporary and some guy who was by himself sitting at the table next to my family and I had ordered a lot of food. I think he had a Bacon Cheese Burger, Hot Dog, Chicken Strips a Cheese Pizza and maybe some other stuff. Plus all the items expect for the Pizza all came with French Fries. Anyway we noticed that he left half his food because he did not eat everything since he threw the rest out. My Dad said for the amount of $ he paid for counter service food, he could have gone to the Concourse Steakhouse purchased an appetizer, steak and desert and paid the same price for a better meal. However if he felt like waisting his money to not eat all that food that was his choice and he was allowed to do whatever he wanted with his money.

Not in a food court, but the strangest was the people on the monorail who after exiting MK opened their backpacks and pulled out egg salad sanwiches. Not an ice pack or anything just a warm, soggy egg salad sandwich in the late afternoon in the July heat---ewww:scared1:

I am not sure what I think here other than these are examples of people maybe doing WDW on a very strict budget, other than the person who over ordered and did not eat his food..

It can get quite expensive for a family of 3 or more to purchase food in the parks whether counter service or table service. I often think when I see this and I have seen it before that they must have saved their money to get there, either driving or flying, add in those gasoline prices, then add on the price of tickets which is very expensive, never mind staying on property or off. It is a very expensive vacation and if you are trying to do it on a budget, you will need to cut corners somewhere.....

When I visited when my children were small, we were not allowed to bring in food from outside and I have to tell you it was difficult to feed a family of 5 in the parks and not feel the crunch.....

I guess I do not think of it as cheap, I guess I think that these families are doing the best they can to take their children to WDW and since Disney does not stop them anymore from bringing in food, you are going to see this more often.

My children are made to share an icecream between them as they waste so much. As for the issues of families sharing if it's all they can afford then I feel both sorry and proud of them, it must take a lot of sacrifices for some people to be able to afford to go to WDW.
I drive DH mad as I like to make sandwiches with the crackers and sauce while my food just gets picked at:guilty:

"As for the issues of families sharing if it's all they can afford then I feel both sorry and proud of them, it must take a lot of sacrifices for some people to be able to afford to go to WDW. "

Thank you for posting that, I see that you and I agree on how difficult it is for some families to come to WDW.

As for the issues of families sharing if it's all they can afford then I feel both sorry and proud of them, it must take a lot of sacrifices for some people to be able to afford to go to WDW.

I usually think the exact same thing. Most of the time I don't really notice, but when I do, I just hope that they are having the times of their lives!

Surely there's nothing wrong with a couple of my kids sharing a kid's meal once in a while is there? Not just to save money, but I just can't stand the waste if the portions are huge...

I usually think the exact same thing. Most of the time I don't really notice, but when I do, I just hope that they are having the times of their lives!

So true and a good point, the dole whip story, Those kids arent going to remember each having a small scoop of ice cream, they will remember their mom and dad took them to disney! (And if that is the only way we could go, I would do it too!)

Surely there's nothing wrong with a couple of my kids sharing a kid's meal once in a while is there? Not just to save money, but I just can't stand the waste if the portions are huge...

I think the idea of 2 kids sharing ice cream...well the logistics make it tough!

We are big about sharing. Of course, DS12 pretty much cleans up any leftovers these days...my kids are are very good eaters though. (and so thin...SO unfair!) It will be interesting to see how it goes w/ DDP for us this fall. We are doing DDP to be able to enjoy daily TS, and to be able to order what we want w/o regard to price:banana:

Stayed at the POP. Getting sugar for my coffee and these two older women were taking all the sugar, salt/pepper, plastic utensils, butter, creamers, jelly etc packages and stuffing it into their purses, I dont mean a few I am talking handfuls and hanfuls..... that was too wild for me and I grew up with a mother who would snag sweet n low from every place she could.

Don't flame me (suit on), but I think everyone is getting carried away here and turning this into a "feel sorry for the poor people at Disney" thread. No, there is nothing wrong with sharing a meal or a snack... hubby and I do it all of the time, but I would not split a small ice cream between 4 people.. 2 of which are adults. That's just a tease.. especially at the Dole Whip place (one of my fav's)... lol. I see a ton of food being wasted and that's just not at Disney... it's everywhere. (Flame suit off).

Forgot to add... strangest thing, well not really strange... more like irritating is when people go to a buffet and act like they can't go back for seconds. I see folks with their plate piled up to the ceiling trying to balance it out so that nothing falls off the plate on the way back from the buffet.

Non- Disney strange thing... at Bruggers Bagels I see someone get an onion bagel with peanut butter on it. I like onion bagels and I like peanut butter... just not together.

We saw a family on the monorail pop a pack a wieners out of a back pack and eat them by dipping them into a container of mayo they brought. It just seemed like an odd snack... dipping these uncooked weiners into mayo like they were fries and ketchup.
As for splitting, that's all my husband and I do while in the US. We just find the portions huge! Sometimes an flatbread at the Cali Grill will fill us both up and we have to sit there for a while to be able to try to eat the main course (which we, again, split). Food and Wine is the only time we find perfect small sized portions that suit us. We much prefer to eat small portions more regularly... that way we can try as much as possible of the delish Disney food :)

Non- Disney strange thing... at Bruggers Bagels I see someone get an onion bagel with peanut butter on it. I like onion bagels and I like peanut butter... just not together.

I do an onion bagel with peanut butter every once in a while.. it is nt bad.. you should try it some time!!:thumbsup2

Strangest thing I saw was at Pecos Bills. A lady sat next to us. A few minutes later her husband (who had apparently ordered for them) sat down with a burger, fries, soda, and a cup of water. He then went to the toppings bar and got what he wanted, came back to the table, and put all his stuff on napkins, and gave his wife the little rectangle container the burger and fries came in. She then took it over to the toppings bar and used it to make herself a large salad with lettuce, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, and cheese sauce over it. A little while later we saw her reach for one of the husband's french fries and he almost barked at her, saying she had her lunch, leave his alone. All she got for lunch was a cup of water and a salad she pilfered from the salad bar using his left over container. I don't know what surprised us most, the fact that she pilfered stuff off the fixins bar without paying or that her husband wouldn't let her have a french fry.

I was in MK, my wife and I got a Dole whip Float each, and a family of 4 sat down next to us. A father, mother, and two daughters around 10 and 12 years old, they split a small soft serve dole ice cream, and almost shot dole juice out of my nose when the father says mommy gets first taste, hell the soft serve was so small, there wasn't much after her taste. Then when they were down, the father hmmm that sure hit the spot, he must had a small stomach.

ha ha to justify this maybe everyone in their family was lactose intolerant...just a thought. I'm LI and just a few bites of my mom's ice cream really does hit the spot without making me sick.
who knows...lol

Hey,

Last year durning free dining, I split a Dole whip float with my DD who was 7 at the time. She's really tiny, was sure she'd hate the Dole whip and stuffed from just having a Mickey head ice cream but wanted to give it a try anyway...boy I hope people that saw us didn't think I was being cheap and forcing my kid to share a float!

pirate:

Stayed at the POP. Getting sugar for my coffee and these two older women were taking all the sugar, salt/pepper, plastic utensils, butter, creamers, jelly etc packages and stuffing it into their purses, I dont mean a few I am talking handfuls and hanfuls..... that was too wild for me and I grew up with a mother who would snag sweet n low from every place she could.

:lmao: On our first visit to WDW back in (ahem) the early 70s I was thrilled not only to be there but to eat at a lunch counter (remember those?) Well I had my nice white bell-bottoms on and decided that those fun little packets of jelly were too good to leave behind so I placed them in the pocket that was on the knee of those white bell bottoms....Proceeded to kneel while doing something at the world and I spent the rest of the day walking around with big spots of grape jelly on my knees. :)

On line at the Haunted Mansion, the people in front of me laid thier large toddler right down on the concrete and changed her dirty diaper. (Gross! Go to the bathroom!) Then took a bag of Wonder bread out of their back pack. The bag contained premade pb&j sandwhiches. Yuck, squished warm sandwiches out of the backpack.

We shared lots of meal and snacks especially since my youngest had no credits of his own. But that just does not say vacation to me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter