Character Performer Auditions

Keep in mind that CPs are not hired for Mover Roles. That is something CPs advance to later in their program (often a second or third program) or is something they get after their program ends and they stay on with the company. The main function of a CP is meet and greets and dining.

This is interesting to learn, as the text of the audition notice says specifically "Some performers may step out and bring to life our parades and shows as street dancers... We are also seeking performers for Full Time Character Performer roles for Shows and Parades across the Walt Disney World Resort."

Based on the audition notice, DD went down to audition for a street dancer (aka mover) role. I wish we'd known that CPs aren't hired as movers before taking the time from work to go down last week. We had a good time at Disney, but wouldn't have chosen to do this if we'd known that CPs aren't hired as movers. How would one advance to being a mover later in the program (or after)?

For offsite auditions (non CP) are they making their offers that day or calling you later? My last audition was in Orlando and it seemed like they were putting everyone who made it past the cuts in the pool, we were told they'd contact us within 6 months, I got a call about a week later offering me a role. Are offsite auditions similar? It's part of the CP tour but I'm auditioning for full time. My last offsite audition was for a CP role and I was notified via email.
Also is it a bad idea to attend a predominantly CP audition when going for fulltime? Would it be better to wait for a regular audition?

How would one advance to being a mover later in the program (or after)?

There are internal auditions once in the program. This is a Performer's chance to show skill and talent beyond the typical level. Fall program uses more CPs as movers for the Halloween and Christmas parades. I know a lot of CPs who start out in the spring program, then extend to the fall program (so a second program) and are cast in the seasonal parades.

This is interesting to learn, as the text of the audition notice says specifically "Some performers may step out and bring to life our parades and shows as street dancers... We are also seeking performers for Full Time Character Performer roles for Shows and Parades across the Walt Disney World Resort."

How would one advance to being a mover later in the program (or after)?

I'm going to chime in as well. Sometimes it is easier to get your foot in the door so to speak via the CP program. If your daughter has her heart set on dancing with Disney, her chances will be better starting out with the CP program, attending end of season auditions, extending and then staying on after the program. My daughter has done just that. She started out fall of 2010 in QSFB, auditioned during her program, was selected for Character Performer and extended her program into spring and then applied for part time in April and started part time in May. She is not in the parade height range so that will never be an option for her, but she has several friends that also went this route and are currently doing shows and parades and have stayed on part time/full time. Sometimes you just need to find a different way in!

OT - Berlioz, you have met my daughter and I almost met you during my last trip when she saw you at WOD. But by the time she saw you and tried to catch up to you, you had already walked out the door. One day I hope to meet you in person!

OT - Berlioz, you have met my daughter and I almost met you during my last trip when she saw you at WOD. But by the time she saw you and tried to catch up to you, you had already walked out the door. One day I hope to meet you in person!

Oh yes - I'm guessing your Screen Name is a nod to your DD? I've run into her several times and recently helped her with a fitting! Too bad I missed you though; hope to meet you in the future!

Thanks to Berlioz and Iris for more information! I will pass this on to DD... It's exactly the info she is looking for!

One more question: Does having an Equity card make a difference? DD is doing summer stock and they will facilitate her getting the card, but it's expensive. My guess is that this will be more affordable than getting it on her own... going through the process of earning points, etc... but It is an unanticipated expense, and I don't really know anything about it. Guess maybe it's time to learn!

One more question: Does having an Equity card make a difference? DD is doing summer stock and they will facilitate her getting the card, but it's expensive. My guess is that this will be more affordable than getting it on her own... going through the process of earning points, etc... but It is an unanticipated expense, and I don't really know anything about it. Guess maybe it's time to learn!

It doesn't hurt... Disney does not require potential equity performers to already have their card. If she passes the audition then Disney also helps to get the Equity Card.

Dancer wise - based on her height I think she's in the range for Dream Along with Mickey and the aerial Festival of the Lion King bird. She's too short for Beauty and the Beast. Those are the only regular equity dancer positions I can think of.

Dancer wise - based on her height I think she's in the range for Dream Along with Mickey and the aerial Festival of the Lion King bird. She's too short for Beauty and the Beast. Those are the only regular equity dancer positions I can think of.

That's a surprise; that bird looks shorter than DD, although Disney measured her more than an inch shorter than either her doctor or the Rockettes (missed that one by one-eighth inch, but we were in NYC anyhow and she went to the audition on a whim!). She'd love to be a jungle animal in FOTLK or a corps dancer in B&B, but knows that performance roles all have physical requirements as well as talent requirements.

She'd love to be a jungle animal in FOTLK or a corps dancer in B&B, but knows that performance roles all have physical requirements as well as talent requirements.

The jungle animals are Character Performers, not equity. I know B&B female dancers start at 5'7.

The jungle animals are Character Performers, not equity. I know B&B female dancers start at 5'7.

The ariel bird from FOTLK is one of those dream jobs of mine and I always thought it was shorter than me. What is the height for that? I am 5'3" pretty much (old roomie thinks I could get measured shorter to fairy height) Though I am a west coast person and probably going to go for that if my PIs don't work out.

*I'm going to apologize in advance for the large amount of questions I have LOL*

Hello,

I'm new to the forums and I have some questions!

First off I am just shy of 18 days away from the DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM!!!!!(Spring Advantage Quarter 2013). WHOOOHOOOOOOO!!! SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!

Second, I am currently an Attractions Cast member. Being a Musical Theatre Major my first choice was Character Performer. I auditioned in Chicago on October 21, 2012 and made it all the way to the final round out of 300 people who auditioned. I ended up not getting accepted into character sadly, I really wasn't that upset cause I knew that even if you got to the final round, that didn't necessarily mean that you got character.

But here's the thing...they said that you had to be available within 6 months in order to be considered. Doing the Spring Advantage Quarter (my college runs on trimesters) My check in date was not scheduled until April 8th, 2013. Besides my height, could this have been another reason for me not getting the role??

I found out that there is another audition in Chicago today at like 11 a.m so my Dad and I called the casting center twice and asked if I should still go. And we ended up getting two different answers. One saying "just go for it and tell them that you are in the College Program" and another one saying "no, your attractions and that is that."

We decided to just go on and go earlier today and talk to them and see what happens. I know that this audition was only 5 months after my last one but nothing beats failure but a trier, you know.

I mean I am very blessed to be in Attractions but I have DREAMED of entertaining people at WDW, ever since my first time seeing Fantasmic! and putting on tiny performances of the nighttime spectacular for my family at the age of 10 (I'm 20 now). It's in my blood! :)

Also I wanted to know, is it possible to audition for a character during your program? I have heard that they have "hush hush" auditions for CP's every now and then. (Sorry if this was asked before).

Thank you all sooo much for your time and once again sorry for the bucket load of questions! LOL

P.S: I am 5'11 (close to 6 feet I think) just for fun, does anybody know what character I could be friends with? I was told Tigger....Goofy maybe??! :goodvibes

"Have a Magical Day!"

*I'm going to apologize in advance for the large amount of questions I have LOL*
Also I wanted to know, is it possible to audition for a character during your program? I have heard that they have "hush hush" auditions for CP's every now and then. (Sorry if this was asked before).

Not quite sure I would call them "hush hush" as they are pretty well announced and yes on occasion they do have special auditions set up for current CP participants. They just had one not that long ago for current CPs specificially in the mouse height range. (Not sure why really when there are a ton of fully available seasonal castmembers who are getting zero hours right now - i am guessing it has to do a lot with payroll dollars:thumbsup2.) I think last cp season they also had a special audition. But they do not always have them, during my daughter's programs they did not have any (fall 2010-spring 2011). But they will announce this to the CPs.

Not quite sure I would call them "hush hush" as they are pretty well announced and yes on occasion they do have special auditions set up for current CP participants. They just had one not that long ago for current CPs specificially in the mouse height range. (Not sure why really when there are a ton of fully available seasonal castmembers who are getting zero hours right now - i am guessing it has to do a lot with payroll dollars:thumbsup2.) I think last cp season they also had a special audition. But they do not always have them, during my daughter's programs they did not have any (fall 2010-spring 2011). But they will announce this to the CPs.

Oh! Ok thank you so much!!! :)

Just settling in at hotel from son's audition in Austin. He made it to round 2 :-) The text he sent after learning the round 2 dance was, "That was intense." So now, we wait :-)

I posted a couple of weeks ago, just before I would be attending an audition for the 3rd time, and wanted to give an update on how it went.

I know that I had a great performance (probably my best yet!) of nailing the choreography, with lots of energy, smiling, etc, but unfortunately didn't make it past the initial cut. It really helps to know from discussions here (especially with Berlioz) that my height was most likely the limiting factor, and I can still say that I had a great audition experience, even if the result was a little disappointing.

I would still love to perform at WDW, and it seems like going through the character performer auditions might not be the path for me to get there. I've seen some talk about equity performers and would like to learn more about how I can find more information on where/when auditions for that would be, and how I can go about doing it. I have a strong dance/acting background in a variety of platforms, and am hopeful I would be a competitive candidate for this, too. Any other advice or suggestions would be much appreciated as well! :)

Son didn't make it for CP Character. I am trying to talk him out of going because I don't think it's the best choice for his program...he is a theatre major and his role is custodial. Ugh...Oh well, I guess he needs to decide.

My stepson was accepted for CP this past Friday for fall advantage. He lives with his Dad and I. He auditioned in St. Louis. We are very proud and excited for him. He starts on 27 May. Busy trip planning now :)

Congrats, Brit_Jude...I would be proud, too. Really thought my son had done well. Guess not. I had hoped it would be his ticket out of custodial.

Hey guys,

Is there a list anywhere on this thread with a compilation of the height ranges for various characters/roles (parade and show dancers/performers)

I just went through quite a bit and didn't come across anything except tidbits here and there.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows whether there is a list posted & if so, what page...
popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter