Character Performer Auditions

Berlioz,

Can you tell us how Disney height works?

I am trying to read your livejournal blog. Can you help me figure out how to access it? All I get is "A Walt Disney World Career" with a green background and nothing else.

Thanks!

Sorry - heights are pretty secretive and cannot be shared publicly - however, if you check the other Character Audition thread there's a lot of info already out there.

I've granted you access to my blog - but I'll warn you I haven't posted since June and I was a performer in 08, a lot of things have changed. You can use the "archive" link on the blog to read my older posts.

Yes, they call fur, character performers. Character look-alike and parade performers are different.

Actually - those are all Character Performers. The Performer role includes fur, face, parade movers, puppeteers, float drivers, and the list continues. An audition for a look-a-like is run VERY differently than an audition for the character performer. I suggest anyone seriously considering joining the Disney team attend the main character auditions, as you're only allowed to audition once every 6 months. When you go to the main character audition you are being considered for EVERYTHING!!

when CPs audition for character performer, can they be friends with a face character from the get-go, or do they have to audition while there?

Thanks Berlioz,

I should have been more clear on what I meant by Disney height. What I was wondering is if you'd be able to tell us how Disney measures people at the auditions. I've heard numerous times, "I'm really 5'6 but my Disney height is 5.45'" or something of that nature.

Are you able to tell us how Disney determines height and why it's not the exact physical height of many people who audition?

when CPs audition for character performer, can they be friends with a face character from the get-go, or do they have to audition while there?

Yep - you can be identified as a potential look-a-like at the CP Character Performer auditions.

Thanks Berlioz,

I should have been more clear on what I meant by Disney height. What I was wondering is if you'd be able to tell us how Disney measures people at the auditions. I've heard numerous times, "I'm really 5'6 but my Disney height is 5.45'" or something of that nature.

Are you able to tell us how Disney determines height and why it's not the exact physical height of many people who audition?

Disney tries to measure true to height. You hear stories of people being measured out of the range, but it's not really as "orchestrated" as people try to make it sound. You are at your tallest in the morning, as you move and walk throughout the day your spine compresses and you are actually shorter at the end of the day. If you go to an AM audition you will be measured taller than at a PM audition.

Depending on the specific measuring tool there is always a margin of error, but Disney isn't going out of their way to fudge heights. When auditioning in Orlando, you are measured by the Talent Assists before the Casting Directors ever see you. At the CP auditions you'll be measure by the CDs.

It's more likely that people research their "desired" height prior to their audition and try to stretch or shrink accordingly.

I was measured to my true height at my initial audition, and maintained that height at 2 following internal auditions. I WISH I was an inch taller, but it is what it is, no use wishing for things that are never going to change.

Berlioz,

Thanks so much for answering that and also allowing me to read your live journal. I'm learning so much by reading it. I've only made it to June of 2009 so far, so I'm anxious to see what happens in the next three years.

I have another question:

Do you think your phone interviewer for CP has any contact with the audition people? For example, after you do your phone interview, and the interviewer thinks "Wow, that person sounds like he/she would be a great Disney employee and their dream is to be a character" they could highly recommend you to the audition people or put a good word in for you?

I think I already know the answer but was curious.

Also, do you think the chances of getting accepted as a character are more likely through the college program or through the regular full-time audition?

Thanks again!

hey guys! I don't really know where to post this question, but you all seem like a patient, knowledgable bunch...
I'm so excited because there are finally new audition dates up for Disneyland and California Adventures. One problem though... the listing for the "Female Singer/Dancer/Actors for the Red Car News Boys" only has one role listed... "SAL: female, portrays 14-17, 5’ – 5’4”, tomboy who dresses in her brother’s clothes, alto"... should I even bother going if I'm above the recommended height?

Berlioz,

I'm seriously considering of becoming a fur character, is it best to go to the fur character only auditions and if so how do you know which auditions are just for fur. And I was wondering if I could please read your journal about you disney career ?
Thank you

Berlioz,

Thanks so much for answering that and also allowing me to read your live journal. I'm learning so much by reading it. I've only made it to June of 2009 so far, so I'm anxious to see what happens in the next three years.

I have another question:

Do you think your phone interviewer for CP has any contact with the audition people? For example, after you do your phone interview, and the interviewer thinks "Wow, that person sounds like he/she would be a great Disney employee and their dream is to be a character" they could highly recommend you to the audition people or put a good word in for you?

I think I already know the answer but was curious.

Also, do you think the chances of getting accepted as a character are more likely through the college program or through the regular full-time audition?

Thanks again!

June 09 - wow, you made it pretty far in a short period of time!!

To be honest, I'm not positive, I highly doubt the auditions team corresponds with the interviewers... they're looking for different things. The Interviewer wants to make sure you meet the "Disney" mode and the auditioners are looking for your movement abilities. To be a Character you need to pass both areas. Having a great attitude unfortunately will not overshadow your movement ability.

If you're 5' or shorter, strong male mover, stilt walker, or strong princess look-a-like than going through the regular audition is generally better. If you do not fit those categories, then I recommend going the CP route.

hey guys! I don't really know where to post this question, but you all seem like a patient, knowledgable bunch...
I'm so excited because there are finally new audition dates up for Disneyland and California Adventures. One problem though... the listing for the "Female Singer/Dancer/Actors for the Red Car News Boys" only has one role listed... "SAL: female, portrays 14-17, 5’ – 5’4”, tomboy who dresses in her brother’s clothes, alto"... should I even bother going if I'm above the recommended height?

That sounds like an Equity role - not a Character Role. If you're 5'5ish I'd say go for it, much taller and I wouldn't bother. Those roles are cast more on talent, whereas Character roles are cast more based on height.

Berlioz,

I'm seriously considering of becoming a fur character, is it best to go to the fur character only auditions and if so how do you know which auditions are just for fur. And I was wondering if I could please read your journal about you disney career ?
Thank you

There are no fur only auditions - just attend one of the bi-weekly Character Performer auditions. They will audition for everything at that.

To get access to my blog you have to create a livejournal account and then befriend me: brennailya.livejournal.com.

Ok, thank you very much

Just wondering do you know anyone that has moved from England to work at disney world or disneyland , I'm from England and I was just looking for more information on living and how easy it would be to move there.
Thanks again

Berlioz,

I just finished reading your entire live journal. I have to admit, it was almost as good as reading a good book and wondering how it was going to end. Your journey from CP to management is really fascinating and inspiring.

I thought of a ton of questions while I was reading, and now I can't remember very many.

Here's one: Can you describe what a manager in entertainment would do with Disney? Are the management positions specific to shows, parks, characters, etc? Which one would (did) you want the most?

One more: Do you work with CPs in your current position? If so, how?

Uno mas: Can you describe the CP role of "costuming" and would you recommend it over other roles?

Thanks!

I've granted you access to my blog - but I'll warn you I haven't posted since June and I was a performer in 08, a lot of things have changed. You can use the "archive" link on the blog to read my older posts.

Hey Berlioz, I was wondering if I could look at your blog too! I love blogs, especially Disney blogs. pixiedust: I friended you just in case, but feel free to deny it if you'd rather it stay more private.

Ok, thank you very much

Just wondering do you know anyone that has moved from England to work at disney world or disneyland , I'm from England and I was just looking for more information on living and how easy it would be to move there.
Thanks again

I know of a couple, but I'm not personally close with any - sorry. Most I know start on the CP or have their green card.

Berlioz,

I just finished reading your entire live journal. I have to admit, it was almost as good as reading a good book and wondering how it was going to end. Your journey from CP to management is really fascinating and inspiring.

I thought of a ton of questions while I was reading, and now I can't remember very many.

Here's one: Can you describe what a manager in entertainment would do with Disney? Are the management positions specific to shows, parks, characters, etc? Which one would (did) you want the most?

One more: Do you work with CPs in your current position? If so, how?

Uno mas: Can you describe the CP role of "costuming" and would you recommend it over other roles?

Thanks!

1) There are lots of different types of Entertainment Managers: Characters, Atmosphere, Shows, Parades, Technicians, and depending on the park it can even include DPI. Entertainment Managers are moved around among all of those areas (and all over the parks/resorts) so you could have MK Characters for 2 years and Resort Technicians the next.

2) Yep - I work with tons of CPs. I'm their Manager.

3) Costuming CPs have a million different roles depending on where you get placed (Operations, Character, Parade, Shows). Costuming is unique as we train all of our CPs in a minimum of 2 areas, and if your program is over the holidays you could get trained in more (MK & Epcot). Responsibilities change a lot depending on where you're working. The two things ALL areas have in common is checking for show quality (garment colors, buttons/zippers, fasteners, general quality) and LAUNDRY. If you do not like laundry, I do not recommend Costuming.

Hey Berlioz, I was wondering if I could look at your blog too! I love blogs, especially Disney blogs. pixiedust: I friended you just in case, but feel free to deny it if you'd rather it stay more private.

You should have access now!

This may have been addressed already at some point, but is there a dress size/weight limit for fur characters as their is for face? As in, do the fur costumes only come up to a certain size, limiting the performers to those sizes?

Hello,

I live in England and I'm looking to audition and move to disneyland California in summer 2013. Does anybody know anything about work visa's and how to apply for them ?

Thanks

Thanks Berlioz,

Does having graduate degrees help when applying for roles in Disney management, or is experience with the company more important?

Wow based on reading all of these posts for once in my life I don't hate my height! I'm 4'11 and have always hated being short, but apparently short, petite and blonde according to Disney = perfect Tinkerbell, lol.

Tried posting this earlier, but my computer froze... Second go!

Hello,

I live in England and I'm looking to audition and move to disneyland California in summer 2013. Does anybody know anything about work visa's and how to apply for them ?

Thanks
The official Government site is going to be your best resource and friend when it comes to Work Visa's. It should answer the majority of your questions, but if you need any help let me know!

I would strongly recommend working towards a Green Card, which would make your process a bit simpler. The US Citizenship and Immigrations Services is your resource here.

Cheers!

Thanks Berlioz,

Does having graduate degrees help when applying for roles in Disney management, or is experience with the company more important?

Depending on what role in management you are looking forward to applying for, there is a possibility to work your way up. The easier route is working towards a degree.

Wow based on reading all of these posts for once in my life I don't hate my height! I'm 4'11 and have always hated being short, but apparently short, petite and blonde according to Disney = perfect Tinkerbell, lol.

Really, too adorable! :D

There's definitely the pluses in life that you have to look at. How well are you with dancing/acting? That's really your best bet if you want to go that route, as it's a key component!

Best of luck, and Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

so is the CP entertainment audition just for characters? or is it also possible to be a dancer? I read that you have to audition for a dance part after you get into entertainment but the only thing I'd really want to do is dance haha.

so is the CP entertainment audition just for characters? or is it also possible to be a dancer? I read that you have to audition for a dance part after you get into entertainment but the only thing I'd really want to do is dance haha.

Yes - Dancers (Dream Along with Mickey/Beauty and the Beast) are members of the Equity Union; CPs are not eligible for these roles.

If you are referring to people you see dancing in Parades; Disney Channel Rocks; Festival of the Lion King... those are Character Performers and the CP audition will consider you for those opportunities (though it's pretty RARE for a CP to be trained outside of the holiday parades).

Hello RodgerRadcliffe,

Thank you for replying, with the working visa would it be any easier if I audition for disneyland paris in the summer then ask to be sponsored for a working visa to be able to move to either disney world or disneyland California ? And on the disney audition website it says that the requirements are that you have to be auauthorized to work in the United States. Does that mean you need a visa before you audition?
Thanks again

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter