Character Performer Auditions

Hello everyone!
I'm new here!
I was wondering if you could give me some advice!
I was thinking of heading over to London in March for the Disneyland Paris Look-Alike auditions, I was hoping Alice or Wendy would be on the list, but sadly they weren't. I've never been to a DL audition.
I'm 19, I think i'm 5'4/5, with pale skin and blue eyes. I'm living in South Ireland, so it would be a pricey trip over to London!

I'm not sure if i match the profile of Cinderella, Ariel, Belle or Snow White, I think I look too young.
I just uploaded a picture of me on my Twitter @AoifeSaysHello - it's not a very disney-like photo of me, but just a general feel of how young i actually look, haha. If you could take a look and give me your honest opinion of whether i'm going to waste my time travelling over or not, i'd be so grateful.

I do a lot of acting, I have loads of dance experience, and I interact well with others.
I think my small face is the only thing getting in the way! :P
Thanks guys!
:)

Feel free to follow me on twitter, I follow back!
Thanks again,
Pumpkin Alice! x

Hello RodgerRadcliffe,

Thank you for replying, with the working visa would it be any easier if I audition for Disneyland Paris in the summer then ask to be sponsored for a working visa to be able to move to either Disney world or Disneyland California ? And on the Disney audition website it says that the requirements are that you have to be authorized to work in the United States. Does that mean you need a visa before you audition?
Thanks again
Hey! It's a process, so I would definitely recommend looking into a working visa/green card beforehand. The best people to help with this is your local office, and embassy if I remember correctly. Get everything situated in time for Disneyland Paris, as it's a start.

Hello everyone!
I'm new here!
I was wondering if you could give me some advice!
I was thinking of heading over to London in March for the Disneyland Paris Look-Alike auditions, I was hoping Alice or Wendy would be on the list, but sadly they weren't. I've never been to a DL audition.
I'm 19, I think i'm 5'4/5, with pale skin and blue eyes. I'm living in South Ireland, so it would be a pricey trip over to London!

I'm not sure if i match the profile of Cinderella, Ariel, Belle or Snow White, I think I look too young.
I just uploaded a picture of me on my Twitter @AoifeSaysHello - it's not a very disney-like photo of me, but just a general feel of how young i actually look, haha. If you could take a look and give me your honest opinion of whether i'm going to waste my time travelling over or not, i'd be so grateful.

I do a lot of acting, I have loads of dance experience, and I interact well with others.
I think my small face is the only thing getting in the way! :P
Thanks guys!
:)

Feel free to follow me on twitter, I follow back!
Thanks again,
Pumpkin Alice! x
Why hello there, and thanks for dropping down the Rabbit Hole.

As much as I LOVE London (born just south), I'd recommend holding on.

What theatre/acting experience do you have? Dance Experience?

I don't know exactly how the Disneyland Paris Auditions are ran, but my guess it is pretty similar to the ones in the states, even face character. I can't give a definitive yes/no just off of the information, apologies.

There's hopefully a few other people that may have advice for you!

Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

Hi there!

I'll be going to a character performer audition this weekend, which will be my 3rd try at it in the last year. Even though I didn't make the cut in the previous ones, I'm still glad to have attended - it was a great experience! I know that we'll never know what the casting directors have in mind as far as needs go, but I know that being an average 5'5" and going for full time (rather than college program) probably limits me to some extent. I felt that I have auditioned well in the past, but it was still a bit disappointing to leave after a cut.

I'm looking forward to the audition, and will give it my best, but was wondering if there's anyone out there who has had a similar experience and has any words of advice? I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

Hi there!

I'll be going to a character performer audition this weekend, which will be my 3rd try at it in the last year. Even though I didn't make the cut in the previous ones, I'm still glad to have attended - it was a great experience! I know that we'll never know what the casting directors have in mind as far as needs go, but I know that being an average 5'5" and going for full time (rather than college program) probably limits me to some extent. I felt that I have auditioned well in the past, but it was still a bit disappointing to leave after a cut.

I'm looking forward to the audition, and will give it my best, but was wondering if there's anyone out there who has had a similar experience and has any words of advice? I'd really appreciate it, thanks!
Hello! Congrats on continuing to stay motivated, and not giving up! It really is an excellent experience, which not many people see from auditions.

Unfortunately your height range limits you quite a bit, but you can definitely make up for it. It also depends upon the needs of Entertainment at the time, which may or may not be in your height range in addition to the needs of PT/FT/Seasonal roles.

What is your background/experience in dancing, acting, a theatre? If you can do well in the auditions with these parts, I'm sure you'll have a much better chance.

My advice is to just have fun with it, and blow them out of the water. They know what they're looking for and try to be that. Again, the dance and theatrical experience will help you a lot.

It's been a while, so Berlioz or one of the other wonderful gals here might have more specific advice!

Break a leg, and Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

but I know that being an average 5'5" and going for full time (rather than college program) probably limits me to some extent.

Not just to some extent... being 5'5 is likely the sole reason for you being cut. That is, unfortunately, probably the worst height for Character Performers. There is only ONE character, in all of WDW, that meets daily at that height... and they can fill it with slightly taller performers that have more options.

The only way I can think of Casting hiring someone at 5'5 would be if they have the ability to be a look-a-like for more than 1 princess.

Sorry!!! I know your pain... I'm 5'7, so I at least have 2 more options... I was able to get in on the CP - but couldn't make the transition to FT. After 2 attempts I came to terms with my height, went into Merch, and am now a Manager back in Entertainment. I would have given anything to be 5'8 then, but am very happy with the path I'm on now.

Thanks so much for the encouragement, it means a lot!

What is your background/experience in dancing, acting, a theatre? If you can do well in the auditions with these parts, I'm sure you'll have a much better chance.

I've had a lot of great experience in all of these things - several years in high school and a college marching band (color guard - I'm an instructor now as well), and a few years of consistent performing in plays and musicals. I feel that this experience helped me in my past auditions, and I also made sure to practice a lot for the "animation/improv" scenario. The first audition I went to, however, was just simple dance choreography and then they made a big cut. The second one was the choreography as well as the animation, so I was glad to get a shot at that after not getting to do it at the first.

I appreciate you letting me know about the downfall of being 5'5", Berlioz. It's nice to know the logistical side of things that has probably played a big part in not making it through the auditions so far. I'm still hopeful that maybe it'll play out differently this time, though - if I don't try, I won't know! :)
I'm glad that things worked out well for you, even though you it wasn't what you might have wanted/expected in the beginning. It's very encouraging - thanks for sharing your story!

It's definitely possible that you would be considered for part time or seasonal, rather than full time. At my first audition, we filled out paperwork where you could indicate either one (or all three) of those that you would be interested in. I'm not 100% sure that they are open to that at every audition, but it was like any other character performer audition that stated it was for CP and full time roles. There's definitely no downside to attending an audition and seeing where it takes you!

Hiya!

I haven't posted here since I was beginning my sophmore year in highschool but I am now a senior and my college plans for disney are so close I can taste them! :D

Here is a question I have, I am very interested in auditioning my sophomore year of college for the WDWCP for character performer. That being said I would really love to attend an audition before that so I am a bit more prepared. I am 4'10 and when I was 16 was offered to be tinkerbell, but I was unable to accommodate the living conditions and had to decline. I didn't attend an audition, I just sent in my headshot and resume and then more in depth pictures. I haven't heard of them doing this again so I'm kinda confused on how it worked in the first place...

But I digress, I would like to attend this upcoming audition in Atlanta and I could do seasonal if they had openings during my school breaks, but I don't want to waste their time either. I'm not sure how seasonal works and if I couldn't make the time requirements than I'd hate to have gone and auditioned and wasted the interviewer's time. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Fairypiranha

I'm not sure how seasonal works and if I couldn't make the time requirements than I'd hate to have gone and auditioned and wasted the interviewer's time. Any thoughts?

2 basic requirements for seasonal-

1) provide 8 weeks of full availability for training and burn in time for your initial hire
2) work 150 hours on a rolling calendar (which averages to 4 weeks a year, or 1 week a quarter)

Oh! Thats good to know, then I won't go cause I'm not able to make those time requirements. Thanks for answering, I would have gone and not been able to work, which I hate to do. Oh and can I just say Berlioz, I followed your blog in 2009 and you are my hero. I actually met you once when you were kim possible and it made my life, cause I didn't know who you were until later. :D

So, it's entirely possible no one has an answer to this question, and I completely understand if you don't/can't, buuuuut:

I'm a very skinny size 4, 5'7", and a passable dancer. Ie, I bungled the very first step of the dance for the CP audition (I was auditioning for FT) but nailed all the more difficult choreo. I've been cut 3 times now, and I'm wondering-am I just at a poor height for a Character Performer?

Only because I was especially pleased with my animations this time, and as much as the logical side of my brain knows there's a lot of factors that go into this, I feel like I have the right look and I want to have a "reason," even if it's just supposition.

(and I know, you can't let auditions get to you, yadda yadda yadda, but Disney has a special hold on my heart that makes their auditions different)

I'm going to quote myself:

Sorry!!! I know your pain... I'm 5'7, so I at least have 2 more options... I was able to get in on the CP - but couldn't make the transition to FT. After 2 attempts I came to terms with my height, went into Merch, and am now a Manager back in Entertainment. I would have given anything to be 5'8 then, but am very happy with the path I'm on now.

For additional background, I have 20 years of professional dance training, 2 state solo awards and currently teach dance for high schoolers at a local studio. I couldn't get in... height/timing is everything. I've never been cut, always made the pool, but after 6 months no openings were there so I auditioned again.

5'7 is the tall side of some look-a-likes, but I do not have the right look for anything like that so movement was my only hope.

Oh and can I just say Berlioz, I followed your blog in 2009 and you are my hero.

That is incredibly amazing, thank you!!! And wow - what a full circle! I continued to update my blog until last June. Once I became a Manager I stopped, as I couldn't really talk about work anymore, but it amazes me when people remember reading it.

My daughter auditioned at WDW on 3/14 at the CP audition for character look-alikes, which was also listed as a fur and mover audition. She is an extremely well-trained dancer who has participated in several high-level, selective summer intensives in addition to her 25+ hours a week in the dance studio. She really isn't interested in being a Princess... she wanted to be a mover. She was #82 of 178 auditionees. They filled in a form, were measured, did an incredibly simple movement routine (4 skips, 8 marches, 2 jazz squares, and 2 pivots), and then they cut everyone between 5'2" and 5'8". DD, of course, is 5'6" (5'5.75" at Rockettes audition... a quarter inch too short for them)- but only measured 5'4.5" at Disney, not sure how/why. She is devastated about not being able to audition for a mover role, and is trying to decide whether or not to continue considering the college program. I am majorly annoyed at spending beaucoup bucks to go to the audition... why don't they list height selections in the audition announcements?

DD mentioned that someone who has auditioned 3 times for WDW and been cut each time said that being cut this early doesn't mean you are out of contention for a princess role, but wouldn't they have said something about this? DD was in a good frame of mind after the initial disappointment- as she said, there is nothing she can do about her height- but it seems a bit rinky-dink for Disney to know what they are looking for but not bother to list it in the audition announcement. Very disappointing, and EXTREMELY frustrating.

She is devastated about not being able to audition for a mover role, and is trying to decide whether or not to continue considering the college program. I am majorly annoyed at spending beaucoup bucks to go to the audition... why don't they list height selections in the audition announcements?

Keep in mind that CPs are not hired for Mover Roles. That is something CPs advance to later in their program (often a second or third program) or is something they get after their program ends and they stay on with the company. The main function of a CP is meet and greets and dining.

They actually do hire quite a bit between the 5'4-5'6 range, but it's specifically look-a-likes. Since they hold 1 audition for both types of performers, they leave the heights wide open. Being 5'7, I totally understand hating your height.

Not to jump on the I <3 Berlioz70 topic, but I had your Google Site on my favorites freshman year of high school. I remember when you had the rumors page and would talk about the "Tear Drop" in Magic Kingdom. I was a little high schooler in New Jersey and I think I lived vicariously through your site. We only went to Disney once/twice a year when I was that age. I think I wanted to be you when I grew up- still probably do!

How fun - thank you!!! I do miss the rumors section - I have to admit I have a lot more knowledge now than I ever did before ;) and I still read the other rumors out there (which are often completely wrong). Unfortunately, I can really comment on that stuff anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter