• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Challenge for lurkers

Dear Stroller Boy...I am a recent de-lurkified podcast and boards fan who is catching up on the podcast archives. I was just grocery shopping listening to a random episode from 2008 and heard the origin of your "Stroller boy" moniker! It was hilarious and I laughed out loud, right in front of the mayo section. :rotfl2: teehe! Loved it!

Ahh yes, my 15 seconds of podcast fame. Good times...Good times.... :)

I love the podcast John, and I do peruse the boards sometimes, but I'll be perfectly honest. This site (this forum in particular) can be a bit intimidating. Not in terms of Disney knowledge, I know I could hold my own with just about anyone on those matters, but the inside jokes that people go back and forth with on here really make a newcomer feel left out.

I remember recently reading the first few posts of a thread and wanting to contribute, but after reading a few more posts the thread turned to talk of llamas (?) and I immediately felt like the only one not in on the joke and left. Other times I've noticed that those who are "known" get responses to their posts while those with few posts are all but ignored.

Now I'm not pointing fingers here as I don't think it's anyone's fault. I think this whole clique if you will has evolved to the point where it's snowballed out of control, and the only ones with any command over it are those that have been here for a long time.

I remember Kevin mentioning on a podcast once, much like you are doing now, to introduce yourself if you're new and you'll be made to feel welcome. I know that it was said with the right intentions, but I have a hard time believing that some (not all) of the people on here with thousands and thousands of posts feel comfortable with anyone "moving in on their territory".

Howdy, fellow Buffalonian! :)

I'm too new to be a lurker, just signed up this evening. Thought this would be a great place to try my first post. I have listened to several podcast in recent weeks and thought it was time to visit the website. Interesting, very interesting...and helpfull.

I think i'm becoming a fan. Hope this goes through.

I post semi-occasionally...not enough to be remembered. xD

I'm Sam, lover of the podcast and boards. Nice to meet everyone coming out of the shadows. And hopefully I'll be here a bit more. My college classes have been kicking my butt as far as workload goes, but I'm working on visiting here more often. :)

Hi! I've only recently discovered the podcasts... I actually found disboards in January and posted a couple of times for trip planning info, then recently came back and noticed that there's... um... a whole LOT here! :cool1:

I LOVE the show now and I am having so much fun feeding my disboards addiction here at my desk AND on my iphone with the disboards app.

Hi, all! :upsidedow

Oh my gosh! What a gorgeous cake! Looks like you did exactly what you wanted to do -- congratulations and best wishes for a wonderful marriage!

Hi, everyone! I post fairly regularly on the Trip Reports boards, but wanted to de-lurk over here :). Love the podcast, listen as often as I can; only a few more & I caught up :). Love these boards / I've met some great friends through the Dis!!!

Katie

i'll join in and de-lurk, as well. i'm headed to disney at the end of the month for food and wine. i've been reading the boards and listening to the podcast since i began planning a trip back in january of 2008. with everyone's tips and advice, the trip went to so well, i took my mom in february 2009. now, i'm headed back with a friend and will be "running" the half-marathon! i'd like to thank the podcast team as well as the dis-ers for making the planning almost as fun as the actual trips! so.... thanks!!!

Hello fellow lurkers! I semi-lurk. :)
I comment every once in a while, but I have also found this particular forum to be a bit intimidating...I joked with someone a fellow Diser a while ago (offline) that I just didn't know the secret handshake to get into this club. Hopefully this time I will not fail at my attempt to de-lurk. And I'm making up my own secret handshake. ;)

I joked with someone a fellow Diser a while ago (offline) that I just didn't know the secret handshake to get into this club.

You mean I have been hanging out all this time and NO ONE told me there was a secret handshake. I am questioning your loyalty people! :rotfl2:

Jewels, when you figure it out please share the handshake with all of us.

I personally find this board the LEAST intimidating of all. Just to be clear, I have never been on a cruise, Dis-a-palooza or any of the big meets. I did have the good fortune to meet a few west coast DISers last year in Disneyland. I just jumped right into the conversation. Maybe I was just too oblivious to know that I should have been intimidated :)

I have lurked around the boards for a few years now. I've had a couple of voice mails played on the show and now I'm starting to be more active on the boards.

It's like going to a new school, you lurk in the background and observe then slowly acclimatise.

At first I thought I had nothing to offer the boards, as so many people on the boards have been to Disney many more times than I. However, I now realise that we all have experiences and advice to give, even if it's just a fun story.

Steve, love the podcast/s and these boards but I rarely post no matter how many times I swear im going too. Posted in 3 topics today so maybe there's hope for me !!!!

There, I'm de-lurked. Too bad I didn't have this opportunity 25 years ago when I was trying to earn my de-lurking badge in Cub Scouts.

Great topic!

I have been lurking on the Dis for years, but only recently discovered the Podcasts. It's funny how quickly you find yourself looking forward to the weekly mayhem. Anyway, I evidently have a long way to go before I'm ready to feel left out because i don't know anything about any llamas (I didn't know I was SUPPOSED to know about llamas).
I've never posted much on any board, because I was too intimidated, but that doesn't mean I don't love reading.
Well, back to the shadows for me;
yAWWN...See...this is why folks like us don't contribute much - my own post is putting me to sleep.

Well I will de-lurk as well. I have been a listener of the podcast for years now ever since I stumbled across the site one day. I usually find myself going through spurts of posting and then lurking. I bounce between boards ( right now the camping board has been getting the most attention). Usually I find myself with just enough time to skim a few threads but never get to the end of them. I'll see if I can get my post count up a little. ;-)
I'm a huge fan of the podcast, the boards, the site, and Disney in general. Perhaps I'll have a chance to meet up with some of you on one of my trips (usually go on one a year).
So as requested... "hi"

You mean I have been hanging out all this time and NO ONE told me there was a secret handshake. I am questioning your loyalty people! :rotfl2:

Jewels, when you figure it out please share the handshake with all of us.

I personally find this board the LEAST intimidating of all. Just to be clear, I have never been on a cruise, Dis-a-palooza or any of the big meets. I did have the good fortune to meet a few west coast DISers last year in Disneyland. I just jumped right into the conversation. Maybe I was just too oblivious to know that I should have been intimidated :)

Lol! It involves a little bit o' :wave2: and this :banana: and some of this :cool1:
:thumbsup2

So I am a semi lurker I guess. I love listening to the podcast and have fora few years now. I Post mostly on the budget boards but I want want to post more on this board. I have been to one local dis meet and loved it. Well here's to de lurking! :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter