• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Challenge for lurkers

WebmasterJohn

Genius
Administrator
We get A LOT of emails where people say they love listening to the show but never/rarely post on the boards.

Here's my challenge to those folks - pop on this thread and say 'hi'. We want you to de-lurk!!!

John

I've only been lurking for a couple of months, and I actually sent in a question today regarding our trip. In addition to listening to the new broadcasts, I'm making my way from the beginning of the year with the different hosts. Amusing since Pete is back to hosting. Like a little soap opera every day.

LOVE THE PODCAST!! Love the tutus, ice cream truck, Teresa's cat stories, the dining reviews, Pete's rants, skipping John (sorry), all of it!

Keep having fun and look for my question.

Cindy Jensen
Sonora, CA

I've only been lurking for a couple of months, and I actually sent in a question today regarding our trip. In addition to listening to the new broadcasts, I'm making my way from the beginning of the year with the different hosts. Amusing since Pete is back to hosting. Like a little soap opera every day.

LOVE THE PODCAST!! Love the tutus, ice cream truck, Teresa's cat stories, the dining reviews, Pete's rants, skipping John (sorry), all of it!

Cindy Jensen
Sonora, CA
:yay: Hi Cindy! Welcome to the neighborhood!!

Cindy Jensen
Sonora, CA

Yeah for Cindy!!!!

Welcome to the boards and thanks for listening to the show.

While I have posted a bit lately (just to sort out a roomie for the Feb 2011 ABD Trip!), I am definitely a lurker. If actually started posting regularily, I might never get anything else done...:rotfl: Fortunately, I can listen to podcasts while *gasp* doing other things at the same time...

Hi everyone - I have been lurking for over 2 years. I love the boards and the podcast! My daughter and I are booked for the Podcast Cruise and are so excited to hang out with fellow Diser's! I am going to try real hard to start posting and get to know people.

I love the podcast John, and I do peruse the boards sometimes, but I'll be perfectly honest. This site (this forum in particular) can be a bit intimidating. Not in terms of Disney knowledge, I know I could hold my own with just about anyone on those matters, but the inside jokes that people go back and forth with on here really make a newcomer feel left out.

I remember recently reading the first few posts of a thread and wanting to contribute, but after reading a few more posts the thread turned to talk of llamas (?) and I immediately felt like the only one not in on the joke and left. Other times I've noticed that those who are "known" get responses to their posts while those with few posts are all but ignored.

Now I'm not pointing fingers here as I don't think it's anyone's fault. I think this whole clique if you will has evolved to the point where it's snowballed out of control, and the only ones with any command over it are those that have been here for a long time.

I remember Kevin mentioning on a podcast once, much like you are doing now, to introduce yourself if you're new and you'll be made to feel welcome. I know that it was said with the right intentions, but I have a hard time believing that some (not all) of the people on here with thousands and thousands of posts feel comfortable with anyone "moving in on their territory".

Hi Andrew! :wave:

Here's what you need to do, you gotta say... "Hey! What's up with the llama talk?" Usually someone will fill you in, I was a little lost on that one myself.

To be included you have to participate. That's how people get to know each other and is why some have thousands of posts. I've been on the DISBoards for quite awhile, but didn't discover the podcast and this board until later, I remember first coming to this board was a little intimidating, but I kept hanging out and joining in and pretty soon I wasn't the new girl anymore. Hang around and join in, you'll see what I mean. :)

Hi Andrew! :wave:

Here's what you need to do, you gotta say... "Hey! What's up with the llama talk?" Usually someone will fill you in, I was a little lost on that one myself.

To be included you have to participate. That's how people get to know each other and is why some have thousands of posts. I've been on the DISBoards for quite awhile, but didn't discover the podcast and this board until later, I remember first coming to this board was a little intimidating, but I kept hanging out and joining in and pretty soon I wasn't the new girl anymore. Hang around and join in, you'll see what I mean. :)

Hi Andrew, what Lisa said. I will admit I have been hanging around for a while, I was on PCC 1.0 and that is how I racked up a lot of posts just participating on the cruise threads. I was pretty much a lurker back then. Now, if I miss something, I will ask what the heck are they talking about. We really aren't that bad. I think its kind of like going to a new school or a new job. You just have to get to know the new people.

Kim

Hello All! I have been listening to the podcasts for a while and have enjoyed all of them. I started posting recently and everyone has been very welcoming. I particularly like this thread. I tried to chat but it is very fast with a lot of inside jokes. I will keep trying :)

I used to be one of the "only listens to the podcast" people.

John, you need to issue your challenge to the lurkers on the podcast. They may never see your challenge here.

Llamas? I didn't "get" the llamas, either. I do know that Todd has a thing for giraffes. Todd? Who's Todd? I didn't know who Todd was either, until I became more than a lurker.

Welcome, all.

Hi Andrew, Hi Dsnyfan608 :wave2:

I ran into those llamas too, don't know what they're about either :confused: - but everyone's really friendly here - and very supportive. So welcome! :flower3:

Hi John,

I've been listening to the podcast for close to three years. You all are delightful, funny and smart, and I enjoy listening to you, even though we are not total Disney fanatics. We're lucky enough to live here in Florida and usually get seasonal passes every other year and go for several day trips. I've tried lots of places and done lots of things because of the team's recommendations.

I just don't have a lot of time to post on the boards, but they are great too, especially when we are planning a trip.

Thanks so much for all you do. You guys are terrific.

Hi John!

Thanks for posting this....I love the boards and the podcast!

I began listening around March of this year. I recently moved to NYC and get as many podcasts as my little iPod will hold and truck all around the City. It has been so great to be able to catch up in this way, despite odd reaction at my giggles on the subway/bus/street!!

I have been listening to the podcasts in backwards order, so I'm at the point where Bob died. I have been dreading this because I knew it would be sad, and quite frankly, I couldn't see how this podcast could get ANY better. Well, I was right and wrong...it was certainly sad, but now that I've been introduced to Bawb, I'm in love with his wit and demeanor. I lived in Boston for 5 years and it brings back such great memories.

So..consider me delurkified!

Oh, and my sis works with WSP in EPCOT. Kathy had graciously sent pics of her opening the Via Napoli event as one of the looney grape stompers! So, my obsession goes WAY back as she has been working with entertainment for years.

Please keep up the good work...I look forward to more and more silly times while I get to know my new City! Many thanks!

I am a recovering lurker! I've been listening to the podcast for about 3 years, but only started posting recently. I did find it very intimidating (felt like an outsider at the cool kids table) but am finding that the more I post, the less intimidating it is. The people on the boards are so supportive of each other!!

Llamas grew from a joke about Alpacas, that was directed at WebmasterKathy. She was dreading that her husband was looking at buying Alpacas. The Alpaca joke just spiraled downhill and turned into Llamas. But it was pretty much contained to one thread. Everyone was pretty much in the dark except WebmasterKathy, but everyone just jumped in and took it and ran with it. That is one thing that makes the boards great.

:love: Kathy!!

Feel free to jump in! We don't bite and we are full of useful and useless information.

I look forward to meeting the new folks and lurkers on the Podcast Cruise. It is an experience like none other. From Pre-cruise, During the cruise, and Post cruise, you will never look at going to WDW or DCL the same way again.

I was a lurker also, but the folks on the boards brought me out of my shell.

Okay. I'll try delurking, but I am a notorious thread killer (seems every time I post, no one posts after me). I have been a member of the boards about five years and have been listening to the podcast since it was hosted by the "professionals" and Pete did an occasional editorial (I remember the one about Gay Days). I have proudly worn my lime green Mickey head from Home Depot to the parks and have actually met a few people that way.

I agree with Andrew that I find this board incredibly intimidating and full of inside jokes so I don't feel like I should post and interrupt what seem to be private conversations that are on a public board. I am a school teacher, so cannot afford, nor get time off, for the Podcast Cruises and those "cool kids" that do get to go seem to dominate the boards.

I will stop writing now, because I hate to sound negative and I'm using far too many "quotes". I feel like I know everyone on the boards and the podcast, even without posting. I cried when Bob died and got incredibly excited with each of Julie's pregnancies. My husband was confused why I cared about people I didn't even know, but I'll admit it...I appreciate you all and thank you for filling my drive to school with laughter and smiles.

Now relurking.

Hey guys!!

I've been listening to the Dis for a few months now, and I guess I should de-lurk already, haha :) I love listening to you guys and am always on the lookout for new shows and anything exciting and new from you guys.

The DisBoards can be a little intimidating, but I think once you get to know the people, it can be such a wealth of information. But I'm still trying to figure out how the Prizematron works ;)

I agree with Andrew that I find this board incredibly intimidating and full of inside jokes so I don't feel like I should post and interrupt what seem to be private conversations that are on a public board. I am a school teacher, so cannot afford, nor get time off, for the Podcast Cruises and those "cool kids" that do get to go seem to dominate the boards.

1. I'm proving you aren't a thread killer. (I officially claimed that title a while ago.)
2. It's a discussion board so there really aren't any private conversations. If they welcomed me into the discussion, they will welcome you.
3. Except for Launchpad11b and his family, we are all DisFits here. I have never been nor will I ever be a "cool kid."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter