Central Park “Karen”

It’s always sickening to see echoes of horrifying things from the past in today's supposedly more enlightened world. Just as I am disgusted when I encounter casual anti-Semitism as I am well aware of how such attitudes eventually led to the Holocaust, people like Ms Cooper demonstrate all too clearly the mindset that led to atrocities like the Emmett Till lynching taking place.

The poor guy was right to start filming. It's horrible and racist on every level, but in this day and age African-American men especially have to get out their phones asap and film any incident as soon as it starts occurring if they can. Otherwise it'll be their word against the white aggressor, and too many times people of color are not believed in these situations, *especially* since the woman tried to ramp up the situation by displaying fake panic. She's lucky in one respect: if the cops had come in guns blazing like happens so many times, she'd be likely charged with at least manslaughter and maybe even murder. It's that dead serious in this country right now.

The video is disturbing, but good for the man who filmed it. I give him credit for remaining calm and polite when confronted with her nastiness. How on earth was her life being threatened? In fact, she actually moved closer to him and he told her to back off. And that poor dog! Not surprised she left the scene before the cops showed up. She should be held accountable for making a false police report and tying up the 911 line for a non-emergency.
:sad2:

But I do feel sorry for people named Karen.

OT from the main thread content, but I agree. Not my name, but have several friends named Karen and I cringe now every time I hear it. Seems kind of sexist, being that there’s no comparable male name that I know of with this particular negative connotation. And besides, Karen was extremely popular during the baby boom, in the 1950’s and 60’s, while the woman being discussed here is clearly at least a generation younger (likely a millennial). So it’s ageist too. :worried:

Or not even leash him if she didn’t want to. He had no authority to make her even by recording her. So I don’t get why she freaked out. Gotta love wearing a mask but not following the leash law though.
Maybe she freaked out because she was videotaped breaking the law. Maybe unleashing the dog in the park is the norm for her, who knows, and her way of dealing with it when confronted, is to become the aggressor. And maybe most people do back down. But not this time and so she foolishly escalated it.

Obviously just pure speculation on my part.

It was bad enough for her to put in the fake distress call to the cops, but her swinging that poor dog around by the collar is just horrible. And she did it all knowing full well he was recording her. She needs to be charged for making the fake call and animal abuse.

And she doesn't deserve any sympathy. She knew what she was doing.

Judge not lest ye be judged.

Yes it looks bad but you don't know anything about her or her life or what is happening with her. You don't know if this is her on an average day or on a really terrible day. No one wants to be judged by their worst actions. Maybe she is an awful person or maybe she is not. She did issue an apology. Perhaps a side of compassion with the snark and judgement.

Forgive... Sounds good. Forget, I don't think I should.

Yes I know I changed the original words but I like mine better in this situation.
If history is to judge that I was a bit too zealous in my defense of the poor, the downtrodden, the second class citizens, and the sick, then I'll pay that price. I can live with that.

What this woman did was despicable. Full Stop. She used the racism she knows exists in order to try and get back at the guy for filming her with her dog off the leash.

Last edited:
OT from the main thread content, but I agree. Not my name, but have several friends named Karen and I cringe now every time I hear it. Seems kind of sexist, being that there’s no comparable male name that I know of with this particular negative connotation. And besides, Karen was extremely popular during the baby boom, in the 1950’s and 60’s, while the woman being discussed here is clearly at least a generation younger (likely a millennial). So it’s ageist too. :worried:
According to an article she's 41.

I know a few Karen's my age and I am a Gen X. I do feel bad too for innocent people named Karen, but I guess it "stuck" because it has the multi-generational appeal. :scared: IDK why they chose that particular name, but they did. Becky fit the prototype for a little while.

And a man's name that gets raked through the coals, Dick. I may or may not use that term when I am driving and a man behind the wheel of a car makes a jerk move. :rolleyes1(I said may or may not!) ;)

Or not even leash him if she didn’t want to. He had no authority to make her even by recording her. So I don’t get why she freaked out. Gotta love wearing a mask but not following the leash law though.
To be fair she wasn't wearing the mask properly. I mean I don't wear my mask when I'm out at the park or walk when I know I can social distance but if you're going to wear a mask pulling it down to talk on the phone and having an altercation (which assumes she'll be pulling it right back up eventually contaminating it) isn't exactly the route to go. And yelling and advancing on the guy while the mask is down on her chin doesn't help either. In any case I know that was an offsides observation you were making.

As far as the leash part..I mean you're right he doesn't have the authority to make her but if you're in an area that requires you to leash your dog it doesn't make someone look good to go with the defense of "you don't have the authority to make me". Either leash the dog and continue on your day or get out of the area (hopefully without any incidents). Her defense for having him off the lease was the dog runs were closed and the dog needed exercise. That in itself does not give anyone the go ahead to have dogs off their leash unless Central Park adjusted their rules. She just sought an excuse and was caught and then went to the defense of "you can't make me" basically.

This behavior goes beyond someone just being a "Karen". I think this woman is likely a sociopath. Usually they are very good at covering up their behavior, but this was probably the perfect collision of circumstance. I'm not excusing her behavior at all, but I think there is a pathological component to her behavior, not just being a terrible person.

This behavior goes beyond someone just being a "Karen". I think this woman is likely a sociopath. Usually they are very good at covering up their behavior, but this was probably the perfect collision of circumstance. I'm not excusing her behavior at all, but I think there is a pathological component to her behavior, not just being a terrible person.
Naw. She's just an entitled rich woman. Go to Google Maps and see where The Ramble is in Central Park and you'll understand. Hint: think Met Museum of Art, American Museum of Natural History, John Lennon, etc, etc, etc.

If you want a real shocker, Google her political campaign contributions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter