Cash wedding presents vs. honeymoon fund?

I think it's tacky. I tend to give a gift off the registry at the bridal shower and we give a cash gift at the wedding. I don't care what the bride and groom use the cash gift for, it's a gift and completely up to them.

I think it's tacky to ask your wedding guests for money. I choose to give money at a wedding and I don't care what it's used for.
Still seems contradictory. It's one thing if you view it as tacky in general but then to also say "well I don't care what they use it for" seems strange.

It's like "uhh...ok so Susan I used the $250 you gave me for a spa treatment on my honeymoon"=ok but seeing a spa treatment as an option on a honeymoon fund="ugh that's tacky they're asking for money for this why can't they just pay for it themselves". It's like "uh...ok so Susan I used the $250 you gave me for airfare to get to my honeymoon destination"=ok but seeing that a honeymoon fund was set up (or if airefare is a selectable option on a honeymoon fund)="ugh that's tacky they're asking for money for this why can't they just pay for it themselves".

Don't get me wrong I understand that it's the way people view things. I just find it contradictory in the confines of one still giving cash with the "I don't care how they use it" viewpoint.

Right, the ones I have donated to were broken up. You could donate toward specific activities or meals, or just however much you want. Maybe they still got a flat check but I don't really understand how that makes a difference. Either way, now they can do the things they hoped to be able to.
Yeah see that's why I'm wondering.

Is someone upset because they specifically contributed to a specific gift and it wasn't utilized? I get that feeling though I think that would be the as if you bought someone a gift and someone exchanged that or it sat never being used or regifted.

Or is someone upset because the couple picked an excursion or spa treatment or whatever but instead of doing that they ended up doing something else because the honeymoon fund just gave them money? In that case I can understand that feeling of wanting to give a specific gift in mind but I think that at the same time once you give a gift in many different situations the recipient may not opt to use it that way. My father-in-law gave me $50 for my birthday with explicit instructions to use it on myself. I'm notorious for not. Instead I paid an extra payment on my student loans with it rather than treating myself to new clothes or a purse or something else I wanted. Ultimately though it was my $50 to spend. ***This is why my family learned long ago to give me gift cards as I would use cash for something uber uber practical or it would just be saved.

I'm 55 and from the south. I was raised that ANY mention of gifts on an invitation (other than a shower hosted by anyone other than immediate family) is tacky. Etiquette dictates that even mentioning that "your presence is present enough" isn't socially acceptable. Gifts are more common here than cash by members other than family.

My daughter did not want china, crystal or silver. She chose everyday patterns. I wish she had registered for them somewhere she could have exchanged them for other things because my phone rang for months with people inquiring where she was registered for the expensive items. I told them all that she had inherited my mom's and that seemed to be acceptable. The truth is that my little tomboy would have rather had registered for tools and lawn equipment!

I understand that this generation is different. I get that times have changed. I personally think the honeymoon registry is as tacky as a recent wedding invitation I received asking for cash. But I sent cash. I don't think I'd have done a honeymoon registry but probably would have sent cash. Times are changing for sure! Hope she has a blessed and beautiful wedding!

I have said this here before--these discussions always remind me of the scene in Gone With the Wind when Rhett mentions Scarlet's pantaloons that he just saw when she lifted her dress and she shushed him for talking about "such things'. He laughed and said "you don't mind me knowing about them, just talking about them".

Basically its ok to know that you are going to get cash for a wedding gift. Its ok to assume and its ok to sort of manipulate the registry to make cash an easier gift. But its no ok to say "Hey! I know many of you are going to want to do cash anyway, so please pay for xyz on our honeymoon. OR . . . give us a gift card to the resort we plan to stay in." Or whatever.

I'm 55 and from the south. I was raised that ANY mention of gifts on an invitation (other than a shower hosted by anyone other than immediate family) is tacky. Etiquette dictates that even mentioning that "your presence is present enough" isn't socially acceptable. Gifts are more common here than cash by members other than family.

My daughter did not want china, crystal or silver. She chose everyday patterns. I wish she had registered for them somewhere she could have exchanged them for other things because my phone rang for months with people inquiring where she was registered for the expensive items. I told them all that she had inherited my mom's and that seemed to be acceptable. The truth is that my little tomboy would have rather had registered for tools and lawn equipment!

I understand that this generation is different. I get that times have changed. I personally think the honeymoon registry is as tacky as a recent wedding invitation I received asking for cash. But I sent cash. I don't think I'd have done a honeymoon registry but probably would have sent cash. Times are changing for sure! Hope she has a blessed and beautiful wedding!

If it's tacky to mention gifts on invitations, how do people find out where the couple is registered?

Also, if the couple wanted/needed tools and lawn equipment, why is that not acceptable?

This thread is confusing the heck out me! Ha.

If it's tacky to mention gifts on invitations, how do people find out where the couple is registered?

Also, if the couple wanted/needed tools and lawn equipment, why is that not acceptable?

Around here, it is generally mentioned on a shower invitation where the couple is registered, but not the actual wedding invitation. I think that is totally acceptable. As a shower guest, I definitely want to know where the bride is registered.

Me too. I guess it’s either register for a bunch of crap you have little to no use for, or don’t mention what gifts are preferred at all :confused3

When my sister got married in August, they considered doing a "Honeymoon Registry" type thing, but all the places they they looked into, charged a percentage to host it and they didn't want to have to pay that, so they opted not to do it. They did end up getting mostly money for their wedding gifts, so it worked out great.

Around here, it is generally mentioned on a shower invitation where the couple is registered, but not the actual wedding invitation. I think that is totally acceptable. As a shower guest, I definitely want to know where the bride is registered.
I can see that being a legit discrepancy in this thread. Most of the weddings I’ve attended in the last few years didn’t have a shower so the registry cards are included in the “Save the Date” or the invite itself.

The honeymoon registry was probably a direct result of people from places where cash gifts weren’t the norm wanting cash. I can understand that!

Back in 90’s a friend of mine worked at Tiffany’s in nyc. She said it was very common for brides to be to return all shower gifts from the registry and head to the jewelry counter to upgrade the diamond!

The honeymoon registry was probably a direct result of people from places where cash gifts weren’t the norm wanting cash. I can understand that!

Back in 90’s a friend of mine worked at Tiffany’s in nyc. She said it was very common for brides to be to return all shower gifts from the registry and head to the jewelry counter to upgrade the diamond!

See, this is what i don't get. Instead of getting a couple what YOU think they SHOULD want, why not just get them what they want? Isn't it more likely a relative or friend would be offended to find out that the vase they selected was returned for cash than be offended that the couple is specifically asking for non-material gifts? Wedding and gifts go hand in hand, rarely do guests not expect to give them and I would guess most couples expect to receive them in some form, so why all this middle-man stuff?

I must be really out of it because I don't get how it's NOT tacky to ask for a 16 piece set of china but it IS tacky to include a honeymoon fund as a gift possibility. Can someone maybe explain? I might be missing something really obvious.

My guess is that wedding registries came about so that folks like @KMarston weren't getting tons of phone calls from guests who wanted to get the couple something they actually wanted and didn't have to return. This was a way for a guest to purchase something the couple wanted, and hopefully didn't already have because the store was keeping track. It is not that the couple is asking for a 16 piece of china, they are just listing what their china is and that is helpful.

Asking for cash is asking for cash. Yes, many will choose to give cash so the couple can do whatever but it's different when it is specifically asked for. For some it equates to paying admission to the wedding.

Most have a page on a wedding site like The Knot. It has links to registries, hotels and other info. We've gotten invites where a small slip of paper is printed with how to get to the site, and how to log in if it is locked. This will help those needing to make hotel info etc without having to deal with phone calls. Some even use websites for RSVP, but that is another part I dislike. A couple weddings set up like this we could see everyone who was invited and who was coming .... and who wasn't invited ..... and sometimes it's awkward or hurtful.

From the north but live in the south so I understand that gifts are common. It's like wanting to feel you made the effort to shop and give something personal to them I suppose. Hard to pin point but it's like proper manners. I often find the conversations here eye opening as it seems that gift vs cash, or even the variety of amounts given as cash vary widely by region or small areas.

When we got married (LONG LONG time ago) I had no showers. I don't believe in them. When they started it was because brides and grooms lived at home and moved out with nothing. They needed the hand towels, spatulas, wash clothes, ice cream scoops etc. Even when I was getting married bridal shower gifts were beginning to be what was wedding gifts, so I had none. I still don't go but DH/DD went to one and they were asked to address their own thank you which came as a generic note am sure everyone got the same. They had no idea what gift they got, DD should have just written her own thank you note.

OH your DD should have registered at Home Depot or somewhere like that. I've seen that by several couples. I know my DS good friend is getting married and while we are not going to wedding, they have just bought a house so I'll likely send them a Home Depot gift card since they'll need all that yard stuff. PS: I didn't get any fancy stuff either other than some crystal glasses I have never used. Wasn't my style.

Had a friend of DS come by today. The wedding is in 3 weeks and she can't wait until it's over. While no real drama, it hasn't been fun planning and dealing with everything, and worrying (and she has a planner) ... certainly not like what you dream of growing up. Something came up about gifts and she said to me "We have been on our own a few years, have most of what we actually need. We don't expect gifts, we just want folks to come celebrate with us." How refreshing .... to know they look at it as a celebration of their day.

:mad: So as a guest/family/friend took time out of their days to go shopping for something bride had on your registry, then took more of their time to attend a shower/celebration of the bride, then the bride takes the gift back to cash in so that she can get a bigger diamond ..... on her engagement ring. They should have just started an Engagement Ring Fund and be honest rather than waste everyone's time shopping and going to a shower.

Last edited:

I didn't make the rules! Ask Emily Post! :confused3

In our area and circles things are just done a certain way. I'd have had no idea where to register for those things. Family members gave large checks and they used those for things they needed. Showers are for the purpose of showering gifts so I assume that's why that rule is different. Today a quick internet search will reveal where the couple is registered. In the "old days" you called the mother of the bride or just called one of the local jewelers who dealt in china, crystal or silver.

I get that things are done differently now, and that different areas have different customs. I understand in some places it's common to have a cash bar. That's something you never see here.

My neighbor just called appalled that her SON was writing thank you notes (rather than his wife). I had to assure her that I've recently received several thank you from the groom! :rotfl:

Times change. I still won't wear white after Labor Day, people do, it's their business, I don't even know why that's a thing but I was raised that it was important!

I get it, I've got young adult children, if I had a dime for every time they rolled their eyes at me I'd be rich!

How do the logistics work for the Honeymoon Fund sites? If you want to give a $100 gift, are you charged, say $105, or does the bridal couple receive $95? Or are the fees larger than that?

I'd rather give the couple a cash/check gift in person (or sent in a card) rather than having some middleman take a percentage.

As for the Honeymoon (or whatever cash fund) requests, I used to think those were tacky, but I wouldn't give a second thought anymore. I almost always give a cash gift, and I never cared for what purpose it went towards.

But if the couple is requesting "experiences," i.e. kayaking or hiking adventures, I'd be a bit peeved if I found out they took the cash equivalent instead. Just ask for the cash upfront.

So as a guest/family/friend I took time out of their days to go shopping for something bride had on your registry, then took more of their time to attend a shower/celebration of the bride, then the bride takes the gift back to cash in so that she can get a bigger diamond ..... on her engagement ring. They should have just started an Engagement Ring Fund and be honest rather than waste everyone's time shopping and going to a shower.
Ah...but then people would say "that's tacky to be honest and ask for what you really want".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter