Cancel Trip?

For me, I would look for a doctor that wasn’t so nonsensically conservative. (And I did indeed fire a care provider when I was 25 weeks)

If you live in Houston she’s going to be in the heat anyway. A car drive is a car drive and can be split up. She’s obviously not going to push herself into sickness with the days there, and a 6 day trip is getting long enough that she can take it easy without feeling like she’s missing anything. If anything I’d make the trip longer.

This makes no sense to me.

I am currently pregnant and 34. We went when I was about 10 weeks along. I didn’t go on anything that had a warning and my doctor had no problems. We flew and they wanted me to make sure I got up and walked around. I would ask more questions. Does he not want any traveling st all?

For me, I would look for a doctor that wasn’t so nonsensically conservative. (And I did indeed fire a care provider when I was 25 weeks)

If you live in Houston she’s going to be in the heat anyway. A car drive is a car drive and can be split up. She’s obviously not going to push herself into sickness with the days there, and a 6 day trip is getting long enough that she can take it easy without feeling like she’s missing anything. If anything I’d make the trip longer.

This makes no sense to me.
Agreed. I also live in Houston, am an “old” mom (just had my third baby at 40), and with a healty pregnancy I cannot imagine not going about my life normally, especially that early in pregnancy. To each their own, certainly, but on the surface this seems overly cautious and restrictive. Personally, I would consult a different doctor.

My family and i have been planning our first trip to disney world for the last 6 months and we just found out that my wife is pregnant. Doctor told my wife to skip the trip since there will be plenty of other times to go in the future.

Should i just cancel it or just go with my kids (7 &13)? My wife told me she was okay staying but since it would be our first trip, i believe we should all go together.

Thoughts?
I don't get what the issue is with her going? Unless there are some high risk (just being 36 isn't a huge risk) underlying issues, then I'd go if I were her. 1st trimester should be be fine (I have 3 kids,) end of 3rd trimester and I'd feel differently.

We planned our first trip to disney with my then 4 and 6 year olds and then I found out I was pregnant with our third. We didn't cancel and continued on with our planning. Two days before our trip, when I was 16 weeks pregnant, I had some complications. I had multiple conversations with my midwife and in the end she recommended I not go. I was devastated and I went against her advice and did go. Everything worked out, the baby was fine. But I was stressed the whole trip. I'm still glad I went, but wouldn't put myself in that position again if I had a choice.

Congrats on the pregnancy, I'm sure you'll have a blast when you go next year instead!

I agree with those saying ask more questions. I’m currently 25weeks (26 on Friday) and we were supposed to be leaving Sunday for a trip to Disney. Granted, I’m nearly 30 years old and we would have been flying from CT (so only a 2hr flight) and I’ve had NO complications at all - my dr had a similar response, BUT it was mostly because I’d be limited in what I could do between rides and enjoy drinks etc. it’s our first child so we don’t have any other’s that my dh would ride rides with. We basically would have ended up alone for most of the trip, and while we love DW- we’d rather just go back with a baby. We ended up postponing until next year, but if we had other kids or were going in a group of some sorts- I definitely, 100% would have still gone.

Honestly, I believe the problem here is the medicalization of pregnancy as an "illness" rather than a normal life process for a woman. Yes, some women are high risk and need to take extra precautions, but for most women pregnancy is not an illness and they can do all the things they did prior to pregnancy, especially before the weight starts slowing you down. I went on a road trip from Calgary, Alberta over to Vancouver, then down to Oregon. We were in the car for days and days. It was wonderful. When we arrived in Oregon we climbed a small mountain. My doctor encouraged it all. At the beginning of that same pregnancy, 1st trimester, I ran the tinkerbell 1/2 marathon in Disneyland, and did all the rides. Yes, my doc said it was ok.
It sounds like the OP cancelled their trip, and if that makes sense for this family then that is what is best. I'm just sad that some doctors treat pregnancy so differently than needed (medical issues aside).

Honestly, I believe the problem here is the medicalization of pregnancy as an "illness" rather than a normal life process for a woman.
I'm just sad that some doctors treat pregnancy so differently than needed (medical issues aside).

THIS!!!!! If there are no health concerns, this is a normal part of life! My very first appointment I knew my dr was the right fit when she said that I should not make any (besides the OBVIOUS) major lifestyle changes. Work out already? Super. Like to travel? Fantastic! You’re still fully capable- just might have to make a few adjustments. My dh would have me sitting in a bubble if it were up to him. But that’s not healthy for anyone.

I completely understand if you have underlying medical issues- taking things easy and maybe not going full speed ahead.

I agree with those saying ask more questions. I’m currently 25weeks (26 on Friday) and we were supposed to be leaving Sunday for a trip to Disney. Granted, I’m nearly 30 years old and we would have been flying from CT (so only a 2hr flight) and I’ve had NO complications at all - my dr had a similar response, BUT it was mostly because I’d be limited in what I could do between rides and enjoy drinks etc. it’s our first child so we don’t have any other’s that my dh would ride rides with. We basically would have ended up alone for most of the trip, and while we love DW- we’d rather just go back with a baby. We ended up postponing until next year, but if we had other kids or were going in a group of some sorts- I definitely, 100% would have still gone.

That’s interesting. I went when I was pregnant...granted, I was only 15 weeks, but I elected not to go on anything with a pregnancy warning. We actually decided to go on the trip BECAUSE I was pregnant! I was 32 and it was my first pregnancy. We flew from IL. I didn’t feel at all like I spent most of the trip by myself. Most of the rides don’t carry a pregnancy warning and none of the shows do, so my husband and I were able to do a lot together. And I actually enjoyed having a little alone time in the parks...now that I have a toddler, “alone time” is like a foreign word to me. I’m lucky if I can use the bathroom without him trying to beat down the door.

Everyone has to do what makes them comfortable, but I wouldn’t avoid a first or second trimester Disney trip unless there are complications of some kind.

That’s interesting. I went when I was pregnant...granted, I was only 15 weeks, but I elected not to go on anything with a pregnancy warning. We actually decided to go on the trip BECAUSE I was pregnant! I was 32 and it was my first pregnancy. We flew from IL. I didn’t feel at all like I spent most of the trip by myself. Most of the rides don’t carry a pregnancy warning and none of the shows do, so my husband and I were able to do a lot together.

Everyone has to do what makes them comfortable, but I wouldn’t avoid a first or second trimester Disney trip unless there are complications of some kind.

I completely understand that point of view. For us though, we love the bigger rides that carry the warnings. Splash, Everest, etc etc. so while I know most don’t - it wouldn’t have been a full trip without those rides for us, personally. Also- we had been looking forward to the flower and garden fest to drink around the booths and trying the wine tasting at Sanaa. So. For us, it makes more sense to go next year with a 10 month old and grandparents who don’t do thrill rides, than sit out my favorite rides.

BUT that’s us personally. Like I said, If we weren’t touring like that - or had other kids- I 100% still would have gone.

I think the larger issue is driving 12 hours. Pregnancy can increase the risk of a blood clot, especially while sitting too long.
You do realize there are pregnant women in developing countries who carry 50lb buckets of water on their heads while babywearing, right? When did pregnancy become a disability in the developed world?

You do realize there are pregnant women in developing countries who carry 50lb buckets of water on their heads while babywearing, right? When did pregnancy become a disability in the developed world?

Sure. And I am sure some of those women have pregnancy complications or lose their unborn child. And some do not. But carrying buckets on your head while pregnant isn't exactly the best idea if you don't have to. I don't think it's wise to compare what goes on in developing countries to here. Many countries also don't drink clean water or have proper medical care or have food even, so no point in comparing.

Sure. And I am sure some of those women have pregnancy complications or lose their unborn child. And some do not. But carrying buckets on your head while pregnant isn't exactly the best idea if you don't have to. I don't think it's wise to compare what goes on in developing countries to here. Many countries also don't drink clean water or have proper medical care or have food even, so no point in comparing.
Yes my comment was to the other extreme. Either way, pregnancy is not an illness or a disability. Yes there can be complications but in healthy pregnancies there are really no reasons for restrictions.

Why would she not be able to travel at that stage? unless she has a physical pregnancy issue I see no need to cancel.I went at about 5-6 months and had a blast

I think the larger issue is driving 12 hours. Pregnancy can increase the risk of a blood clot, especially while sitting too long.

If you’re driving, you can stop regularly and get out and stretch. I had a desk job and would sit 9-10 hours every single day! I got up and walked around every so often, and I’m not a medical professional, but as long as proper precautions are taken, I don’t think driving 2 days out of an entire pregnancy is likely to be harmful.

If the issue is the long drive can you buy your wife a plane ticket? I was around 20 weeks when we we went. If she has a history of blood clots or is high risk I get it. But it f not she can have more pool time and hang back from some activities of course. But when I was a kid I didn't want to go on a family vacation without mom (or dad). it just didn't feel the same!

We planned our trip mid-June so we are about to hit the 45 day cancelation window.

As far as my wife, she will be at the end of the first trimester during the trip. She is 36 so doctor suggested postponing the trip.

I agree that it should be a family trip but my oldest son will probably be 16 years by the time we are comfortable taking the baby to a trip like this. My main concern is my son growing up and missing this experience with him.

Thanks for the replies.

I think some of the reasoning behind the doctor recommendation is due that we were planning to drive from Houston (over 12 hours) and to be at the parks for 6 days.

I believe the combination of heat, duration of trip, age and expected fatigue are not good for the pregnancy.

For a healthy woman who has already had multiple successful pregnancies, I don't think 36 is an age to be concerned about, and I'd be getting a second opinion from a new doctor. Also, 12 hours of driving is nothing. People sit at their desks for 8 hours. You just might need to stop more, and get out and walk. Stop every two hours for a few minutes of walking. Problem solved. Also, we've found the weather in Houston to be pretty much the same as the weather in Orlando.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter