Cancel Trip?

JJSC23

Earning My Ears
My family and i have been planning our first trip to disney world for the last 6 months and we just found out that my wife is pregnant. Doctor told my wife to skip the trip since there will be plenty of other times to go in the future.

Should i just cancel it or just go with my kids (7 &13)? My wife told me she was okay staying but since it would be our first trip, i believe we should all go together.

Thoughts?

I don't recommend going against doctor recommendations... what was the concern? How far along will she be? What time of year is the trip? I think those factors can make a big difference. Can you push the trip out until after the baby is born? My preference would be to wait and make it a family trip that includes your wife.

Enjoy your vacation!

We planned our trip mid-June so we are about to hit the 45 day cancelation window.

As far as my wife, she will be at the end of the first trimester during the trip. She is 36 so doctor suggested postponing the trip.

I agree that it should be a family trip but my oldest son will probably be 16 years by the time we are comfortable taking the baby to a trip like this. My main concern is my son growing up and missing this experience with him.

Congratulations!!
Lots of people go to Disney pregnant with no issues whatsoever. I certainly wouldn't go against doctor's advice, but I might ask more questions as to WHY he suggests not going. Is he worried about the travel? The heat? I guess if he's stronly against it I probably wouldn't go. But perhaps with a little more conversation you can understand what his concerns are and find a way to work around those (i.e. taking mid-day breaks from the heat, etc).

Would the doctor ok travel in 2nd trimester when risks are a little lower? I think you should listen to your wife and if she sincerely wants you to go- go. Plan another family trip in the future. I would feel so guilty if my kids were looking forward to Disney and it was cancelled because of me. The exception would be if you are concerned that your wife could have a medical emergency and you don't want to leave her. Or could grandparents stand in for you and your wife on the trip? My daughter didn't have her first Disney trip until she was 15 and she fell in love with it, so don't stress about your son being "too old" if you decide that cancelling is the best decision for your family. And congratulations!

Does your wife have a medical issue? With a healthy pregnancy I don't understand the idea of not going anywhere while pregnant, so I would not in a million years cancel a trip or stay home during my kids first Disney trip just bc I was pregnant. I agree with a PP to talk to the doctor more about his concerns. Is it simply her age? If so, I would get a second opinion. There is no reason to sit around at home while pregnant under typical circumstance.

If she truly can not go I would not go without her. There is nothing like experiencing Disney through your kids eyes. You dont have to wait three years to go! Babies and toddlers go to Disney all the time. I would wait and go as a family IF there is true medical reason for her not to go as planned.

Thanks for the replies.

I think some of the reasoning behind the doctor recommendation is due that we were planning to drive from Houston (over 12 hours) and to be at the parks for 6 days.

I believe the combination of heat, duration of trip, age and expected fatigue are not good for the pregnancy.

If I felt fine I would go if I was pregnant. I would definitely speak with doctor again. Travel is usually more restricted later in the pregnancy.

Maybe part of his concern is the potential for blood clots sitting in a car for so long. I would plan breaks to walk around.

Maybe plan for more rest breaks and a more laid-back visit while there.

Thanks for the replies.

I think some of the reasoning behind the doctor recommendation is due that we were planning to drive from Houston (over 12 hours) and to be at the parks for 6 days.

I believe the combination of heat, duration of trip, age and expected fatigue are not good for the pregnancy.

I did road trips, Disneyland, legoland and shot 8+ hour weddings with my 3rd pregnancy at age 36. I did a cross country road trip with my first pregnancy and had zero problems. I took lots of breaks and drank lots of water, and made sure to eat right, but had no problems and my doctors never told me to stay home. Unless she has complications or is high risk I would ask the doctor for more explanation.

I do everything I normally do while pregnant. This includes vacations, work, taking care of my kids, exercise, etc. I understand that being over 35 puts you into a high risk category but barring any serious medical issues I see no concerns with driving or being on vacation for six days.

To be fair, I was 28 when I was pregnant & was not high risk, but I traveled to Europe between 11-14 weeks pregnant, in July and August heat. We traveled to 5 cities in Greece and Italy by train and plane and toured extensively. There were only a few times I felt like I was getting overheated and took breaks when that happened. My doctor had no concerns and insisted that I should go. I obviously don't know the health situation of the OP, but if the doctor wasn't clear on why the wife shouldn't go I would certainly ask for clarification.

Wow, strange. I was given no restrictions when I was 34 and pregnant with twins. Where I live, many women don’t even start their families until their 30’s, I have 2 friends who had their last child at 45, both were extremely active and walked several miles every day. A normal pregnancy should be able to tolerate a theme park. I would not change my plans.

All the best to you in making this decision, I am sure you will get alot of different opinions here but to be honest the best solution to your query is to consult DRs not DISsers because we all are here because we have a obvious love of all things Disney, I am not saying some people cant give you a unbiased opinion I am just saying for medical advise about travel we arent going to be the most reliable sounding boards.

Thanks for the replies.

OMG even if Disney wasn't the end destination, why would you do that to your pregnant wife on a vacation? LOL

My younger son told my wife this morning that he does not want to go without her. With this in mind, I will be canceling our trip and now look forward to do it next year.

Thanks for everyones comments!

You're never too OLD for a first disney trip, so don't worry about your kids being too old for it. I was 18 when I went with my mom....and I sort of never stopped going every few years. (you'll have a built in excuse to do another trip a little later, so that your youngest can go and remember it!)

OMG even if Disney wasn't the end destination, why would you do that to your pregnant wife on a vacation? LOL
What?! I’m not 36 yet but not far off, I would personally be highly offended if a doctor told me not to go on vacation when I was pregnant bc of my age. Not saying this applies to OP bc it sounds like his wife may have something else going on.

I would not want to miss my kids first Disney trip. I was also 36 and pregnant with our YDD and we went when I was in my 2nd trimester.

I wouldn't want to go against dr orders. Maybe ask the doc if he would ok it if you promised to make frequent stops on the trip for your wife to get up and stretch her legs and to have wife take a lot of breaks with her feet up while at the parks?

First.. Congrats! I would talk to your wife's doctor again, if she is comfortable with going. I went to Disney during my first trimester and it was fine! I would plan to have her go at a slower pace, drink lots of water and go back to the hotel to rest if she needs too. I would never want to miss my families first Disney trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter