Can we talk about grocery prices? Who wants to guess $

Today at ShopRite I bought their fajita meal deal. Buy skirt steak at $5.99 lb and get the following free:
A red pepper
Bunch of cilantro (they only have organic)
A lime
10 pack of tortillas
Pack of seasoning mix

(Had to pay for a sweet onion)

I found a package of skirt steak that was just over a pound. Most of the packages were 1.5 lbs or more.

Tomorrow’s dinner
Really, is this new? How do I activate the meal deal? Do they have it in the circular? I was there only. month ago and didn't notice it. THIS trip Peter Luger's Steak Sauce is on my list, I can't seem to find it anywhere up in Mass

I am going back to PA in a few days, maybe I'll give it a try if I can sort it out.

I miss Wegmans a lot. I thought their prices for regular grocery items were reasonable (I know the prepared foods and bakery were expensive). It was nice having so much competition in PA with Giant, Weis, Wegmans and Shop Rite.

Since moving to Florida, I basically have a choice of Publix and Winn Dixie for a regular grocery store. I cannot stand the prices at either of them and mostly shop at Target, Sam's Club, Costco and occasionally Walmart. To give an idea of how bad the prices are at Publix, 6 pack bottles of Pepsi were buy 1 get 1 free recently. They were $8.49 so 12 bottles total with the buy 1 get 1 free. Walmart had the 12 packs of the same size bottles for $5.98. Publix store brand graham crackers are $4.49 a box, Target is $2.49 for their brand, same size box as Publix.

Without knowing the weight of what you got, or cut of steak, hard to say. Top sirloin steak is $8.99 a pound here and filet is $29.99 a pound.

SALE PRICE here-

top sirloin $10.99 a pound
In particular, at Wegmans the family size chicken thighs both around 4 lbs thigh and 7 lbs breast both for under $15 each, the steaks deal is really good too.
that's spectacular for chicken. here it's running-

thighs (boneless skinless)-on sale $4.99 per pound
breast (boneless skinless)-on sale $4.99 per pound (you might get $1 per pound break if you buy a large value pack).

SALE PRICE here-

top sirloin $10.99 a pound

breast (boneless skinless)-on sale $4.99 per pound (you might get $1 per pound break if you buy a large value pack).
I think I have sorted out what stores carry the staples I use as what I have recently learned on here are "price leaders" where they will take a loss to get people into the doors.

A sprinkle of cheese and a dollop of Daisy, and you're in business!
I already have shredded cheese and sour cream at home. :flower:

Really, is this new? How do I activate the meal deal? Do they have it in the circular? I was there only. month ago and didn't notice it. THIS trip Peter Luger's Steak Sauce is on my list, I can't seem to find it anywhere up in Mass

I am going back to PA in a few days, maybe I'll give it a try if I can sort it out.
The fajita meal deal is inside the flap of my circular in Delaware. Not a digital coupon, just Price Plus card. I found out that you need to have ALL the items in your order to get the deal. If you skip the cilantro, for example, everything else rings up at standard price.

IMG_5708.jpeg

The fajita meal deal is inside the flap of my circular in Delaware. Not a digital coupon, just Price Plus card. I found out that you need to have ALL the items in your order to get the deal. If you skip the cilantro, for example, everything else rings up at standard price.

View attachment 837423
Thanks! Extra stuff can always go to the Food Bank

I agree. I'm in PA and when I shop at Wegmans, my groceries is about the same price as when I shop at Weis. But the quality and variety of fresh produce is way better at Wegmans. I go to Weis more often because it's only 2 miles away whereas the closest Wegmans is about 15 miles away. If there was a Wegmans within 5-7 miles, I'd shop there all the time.

I'm constantly baffled at how I used to spend about $1200/month on groceries when I had 5 kids living at home and I cooked meals 6 days a week. Now DH & I are empty nesters (for the most part -- youngest child is in college) and I'm still spending close to $1000 a month on groceries -- and that's without buying organic or high-priced meats. I buy far less meat now than when the kids were at home, but I buy far more fresh fruits and vegetables...and we go out for lunch and dinner all weekend (and eat leftovers from that for usually 2 days) so it's crazy how much a weeks worth of groceries is costing me. I usually only need to cook meals 3 or 4 days a week. Sadly, it's not cheap to eat the foods that are good for you. I looked forward to my "cheap" grocery bills once the kids moved out. HA! The joke was on me!
That is crazy to me. I spend about $50 a week on groceries (for just myself). Maybe up to $60 once a month. I eat relatively healthy.

Bone in skin on thighs are $1.99 a pound regular price here, boneless skinless are regularly $3.98 a pound, $2.96 a pound at Walmart. I can't find a price for bone in chicken breasts, but boneless skinless are the same price as the thighs, $3.98 a pound, $2.67 at Walmart.

View attachment 837423
We had the same deal in our circular in Philly. I did buy a jar of Rao's for DH since it was on the same sale pictured here.

I didn't look to see if there was an answer, but I added up what that would cost me, and it would be about $85.

My nearest Wegmans is over half hour away. Too far to go regularly. I shop at Lidl or Aldis for the basics and I’ll supplement with the grocery store for things I can’t get at Lidl or Aldi. We spend about $300 per week on groceries. We are a large family, 5 kids, and I cook and bake a lot. I think that’s pretty good for nowadays

Well, that's just gross. 😳

One thing I have learned on these boards is that MN seems to have some damn reasonable grocery prices.
I agree. There are times I'm shocked at what some people say they're paying for things. I guess sometimes it's nice to be in the middle of nowhere, flyover state. :)

It shouldn't be, unless you're buying specialty items. Meat, veggies and fruits are all naturally gluten-free. And healthy! ;)
The problem my sister is having is finding good tasting breads, pasta, etc. She found some gluten-free hamburger buns she liked. You only get four in a pack for almost 9 dollars.

We've been experimenting with roasting vegetables in the oven, and frying chicken cutlets in gluten-free bread crumbs (which taste like cardboard unless you put lots of spices in). She used to be a junk food junkie, but now out of necessity she has to eat 'better.' She's lost 18 pounds so far, which is good.

I think I have sorted out what stores carry the staples I use as what I have recently learned on here are "price leaders" where they will take a loss to get people into the doors.

that's the way to shop!

we have one chain that has the best loss leader sales so i keep an eye on them. they are also known to not advertise certain great deals in their ads b/c they want folks to come in a wander/impulse buy so i've taken to making my list and before i head out to walmart going on the other store's website and initiating an online order b/c then the prices come up. i back out before an order is placed so i can compare the prices at walmart first then hit them for better prices/loss leaders (we get most of our meat there-safeway and fred meyers do stupid sales here where they claim a sales price or a bogo but they've increased the 'regular price' so that it's never much of a sale).

$215! Like just how, I STILL need to put in the labor to make it into meals.

The chicken breast will make about 4 meals of chicken cutlets, I'll take them when I drive so I don't spend for fast food, and the bits will be stirfry
The thighs will get marinated in Soyaki then baked or grilled for maybe 4-5 meals
The steaks will be 2 meals easy, just as steak then as steak sandwiches on garlic bread
Roast chicken will be chicken then chicken salad or enchiladas and finally soup.

I'll stretch it because that's how I do things but a person needs to afford the $215 to get there and I realize this is out of reach for many families :(
I think you did pretty good with all that protein and fresh fruit. It freaks me out when red peppers cost more per pound than chicken. And it seems your 5 packs of protein is 15 meals. Good job!

Strip steaks.

Not all our meals are pricey, I am also very at ease with potatoes and eggs or soups and repurposing leftovers. I made chicken soup the other night with leftovers from a roast chicken, made chicken salad (mayo and broth in a blender) with the meat starting to get a bit dry so the $11 chicken was 3 meals for 4.

I guess this time I just needed to restock and got some sticker shock.
Bet you didn't anticipate that this might have been better suited to the controversial board.

I look at the sales ad each week and use that to help plan my menu for the next week. I only buy steak and shrimp when it’s on sale. I buy Laura’s Lean ground beef and chicken breast ar full price because we have ground beef and chicken at least once a week. Chuck roast is on sale, so we will have pot roast next week. Fresh fruits and veggies pretty much get bought at whatever cost. Although I do try to buy “in-season” when possible. Looking forward to asparagus and spring greens soon.
We buy almost everything on sale. Stock up on sale items. DH and I have very simple food needs. Tend to cook 2 -3 times a week for dinners and then leftovers. Lunches usually are salads or sandwich . Breakfast, English muffins, egg, fruit, yogurt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter