California considers limits/ban on cell phones in schools

As a PP said cell service has grown leaps and bounds since Columbine. That said, I’m well aware that it’s best and safest to keep lines open which is why I resisted the almost overwhelming urge to text her brother. I waited for him to text me. Still, if something is going down I want them to be able to dial 911 and as soon as it’s safe let me know they’re okay.

FTR I only text my kids during lunch. Nine times out of ten anything I need to tell them can wait so it’s rare that I do.

why do you need to talk to your kids every day at lunch? I never understood why it cant wait till after school.

Most of the schools do have landlines in every class room now
Most? Do the schools in my town? You seem to, like, know everything.

And the ones that don’t...I’m assuming that in those classrooms, cell phones are ok.

A landline in every classroom, if true, is like those pull strings in hospitals/assisted living. If you’re going to fall, you better do it within reach. And I know that unfortunately from personal experience. Perhaps landlines in the hallways, closets, bathrooms, ...

Great scene about that in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

Well now I’ve surely done the impossible...convinced tvguy of the other side of a debate!

Aww shucks, J/K!

Go Cali!!! Go Cali!!! They should make those kids pass notes and doodle like we did instead.

Kids nowadays are using Google Classroom to chat and send notes stealthily. They can appear to be taking notes on a lesson, or working on a document while having a chat window open. Most teachers and admins dont even know this functionality exists within Google classroom/Sheets. It's pretty genius of the kids. Can't even be mad at that.

Our schools hand every student a chromebook at the start of the year. Taking away phones would make no difference.

OH my goodness, how did any of us ever survive being in school without a cell phone? I taught school for 10 years (elementary/middle) and now I teach at the college level. If you think your kid has his phone out for lesson-related activity, think again. Most teachers know it's futile to even ask the kids to put their phones away and pay attention, much less make it a rule. The majority of kids are going to do what they want with their phones; I've seen kids look directly at a teacher and say, "You can't make me; I own this phone and you can't tell me what to do with it." We've become technology-addicted, are accustomed to instant gratification, and parents have become terrified if they can't be in 24 hour contact with their kids, "just in case." If California puts through this legislation (which I agree with but think it should be a district-based decision and not state law), it's going to be futile; parents will become outraged and it'll cause much more ruckus than it's worth. Face it; kids are going to be on their phones almost all the time, if they want to, regardless of the rules, and parents will back them up. It's how it goes these days.

IMO adults have zero credibility raising an eyebrow about kids using cell phones in school when adults are incapable of staying off of them while driving -- including (and oftentimes most concerningly) adults of considerable age whose reflexes and coordination and other skills aren't nearly as sharp as they used to be. That's a far bigger social issue than misuse of phones in classrooms by a longshot.

why do you need to talk to your kids every day at lunch? I never understood why it cant wait till after school.
Where does it say in any of my posts that I must speak to my kids everyday at lunch? In fact the post you quoted states that in general I do NOT. And if I did this would be your business?

Kids nowadays are using Google Classroom to chat and send notes stealthily. They can appear to be taking notes on a lesson, or working on a document while having a chat window open. Most teachers and admins dont even know this functionality exists within Google classroom/Sheets. It's pretty genius of the kids. Can't even be mad at that.

Our schools hand every student a chromebook at the start of the year. Taking away phones would make no difference.

My son's high school does Ipads for every student. He's gotten into way more trouble sending messages and goofing off with that thing in class than he ever has with his cell phone.

This bill won't pass.

In our California school, cell phones are required for certain students. Student athletes must have one. Special education students who participate in Community Based Instruction must have one. Students who take classes at other campuses must have one (ROP or similar). All these students leave campus during the school day at times, and thus the school requires that they have a way to reach their parents or an emergency contact if necessary.

Mine have far more freedom with the Chromebooks issued by the school than I give them on their phones. (I lock certain features down) In fact I grounded my younger DD from her devices and then busted her later circumventing with the Chromebook.

This bill won't pass.

In our California school, cell phones are required for certain students. Student athletes must have one. Special education students who participate in Community Based Instruction must have one. Students who take classes at other campuses must have one (ROP or similar). All these students leave campus during the school day at times, and thus the school requires that they have a way to reach their parents or an emergency contact if necessary.
The bill doesn't ban them. Just says Districts have to have a written policy. Apparently many districts don't have a policy

DD always had her phone at school in high school They used them to do research. Most of the phones were faster and much newer and plentiful than the lap tops. And yes, they were using them for what was intended (well, most were. The teachers actually walked around the classroom and made sure). And besides the research was to write a paper or complete an assignment so it was pretty obvious who did the work.

Did they text and such, I am sure they did but that doesn't make the phones not a necessary part of some classes.

Not all classes, of course, require any research or internet use. Most of the teachers of those classes had a basket at the front of the classroom and the students dropped their phones in. The basket was passed around at the end of the class and the phone retrieved. I am sure there were some that didn't follow the rules but aren't there always?

Yes, great place to visit but I wouldn’t want to live there.

After Columbine teachers and moms here petitioned (and won) for students and teachers to have the right to carry cellphones. It seems to vary by school but the basic policy is phones off during class. However, teachers are allowed their own policies in their classrooms. Out of ten teachers between my two 7th graders only one has an absolute no phone use in class rule. That same teacher also refuses to use the Chrome Books provided by the school district. My college student has one professor that also has a no phone/iPad/laptop in class policy. Neither of these teachers can restrict them from carrying them though.

I’m with sam_gordon on this, if you have kids who can’t adhere to policy then take it up with them. Given today’s climate and having been on the receiving end of texts from my daughter during a hard lockdown I’d be the first in line to oppose a policy like this.

Great message from that teacher -- "I realize a considerable portion of the budget and resources has been devoted to providing the Chrome Books so that you can learn how to use technology to accomplish tasks and remain abreast with the rest of the world, but if I arbitrarily ban the use I'm eligible for this super special limited edition Luddite pin that will make me look accomplished. Image is everything"

Most? Do the schools in my town? You seem to, like, know everything.

And the ones that don’t...I’m assuming that in those classrooms, cell phones are ok.

A landline in every classroom, if true, is like those pull strings in hospitals/assisted living. If you’re going to fall, you better do it within reach. And I know that unfortunately from personal experience. Perhaps landlines in the hallways, closets, bathrooms, ...

Great scene about that in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

Well now I’ve surely done the impossible...convinced tvguy of the other side of a debate!

Aww shucks, J/K!
No debate. The bill ....if passed....would just require a policy to be in place. And yes, most schools HERE got phones in each classroom when they were wired for internet.

Great message from that teacher -- "I realize a considerable portion of the budget and resources has been devoted to providing the Chrome Books so that you can learn how to use technology to accomplish tasks and remain abreast with the rest of the world, but if I arbitrarily ban the use I'm eligible for this super special limited edition Luddite pin that will make me look accomplished. Image is everything"
Which pretty much nails this teacher’s attitude. I could start another topic on just her.

It really depends on the class. I've taken a lot of college level engineering/science/math heavy courses. It isn't uncommon for professors to ask students not to use laptops or tablets in class because they can slow down note taking when there are a lot of formulas or example problems involved.

How did you ever get through school with out your phone?
I did. But I (and my parents) also wasn't concerned with a nut job coming in and shooting up the school. Do I think it will happen in my kids' school? No. But I'm sure that's what the parents of kids at Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook, Marjory Stoneman Douglas HS, Umpqua Community College, Santa Fe HS, Oikos University, West Nickel Mines School, N. Illinois Univ., Marysville Pilchuck HS, Marshall County HS, Columbine HS, and Heath HS also thought.

If there is an issue at my kids' school, I want them to be able to reach out to me or DW. And no, I don't trust the school to notify us (even though they have a text feature, an email, feature, and a phone feature).

As for safety/emergencies, there are some situations when having a cell phone will be beneficial, others where it will be useless, and others (like when a cell phone goes off during a lock down situation) when having it will be actively harmful.
I wonder how many school age kids actually have their ringer turned on. I know none of my kids do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter