California considers limits/ban on cell phones in schools

My kids have been out of High School for 10 years now, but their school still requires cell phones to be in their locker or car.

If passed, this might not sit well with some parents who seem to almost give their kids cell phones while they are still in the crib.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-school-smartphone-ban-20190320-story.html
My son (freshman in HS) told me they're starting after spring break that cell phones can't even be in backpacks. I disagree with that policy. They should be allowed to have the cell phones on them. If the cell phones are disrupting class, then punish those disrupting the class. Why you have to make a blanket policy, I don't understand. And phones can be used for more than texting with friends and playing games.

My son (freshman in HS) told me they're starting after spring break that cell phones can't even be in backpacks. I disagree with that policy. They should be allowed to have the cell phones on them. If the cell phones are disrupting class, then punish those disrupting the class. Why you have to make a blanket policy, I don't understand. And phones can be used for more than texting with friends and playing games.
My kids school's (private) current response to that is that they provide I-Pads (with filtering software) so there is no need at all for cell phones in the classroom.

This should be up to the school. Not legislated.

Our high school and even middle school kids actually use their phones to research and other assigned tasks in school. There are teaching techniques that do use phones.

Our schools do not have Ipads for all in the classroom.

This should be up to the school. Not legislated.

Our high school and even middle school kids actually use their phones to research and other assigned tasks in school. There are teaching techniques that do use phones.

Our schools do not have Ipads for all in the classroom.

If I am understanding the proposal, it would require that schools have a policy on cell phones. Apparently some schools don't have a policy

California always seems to have a unique way of doing things.
Yes, great place to visit but I wouldn’t want to live there.

After Columbine teachers and moms here petitioned (and won) for students and teachers to have the right to carry cellphones. It seems to vary by school but the basic policy is phones off during class. However, teachers are allowed their own policies in their classrooms. Out of ten teachers between my two 7th graders only one has an absolute no phone use in class rule. That same teacher also refuses to use the Chrome Books provided by the school district. My college student has one professor that also has a no phone/iPad/laptop in class policy. Neither of these teachers can restrict them from carrying them though.

I’m with sam_gordon on this, if you have kids who can’t adhere to policy then take it up with them. Given today’s climate and having been on the receiving end of texts from my daughter during a hard lockdown I’d be the first in line to oppose a policy like this.

After Columbine teachers and moms here petitioned (and won) for students and teachers to have the right to carry cellphones. It seems to vary by school but the basic policy is phones off during class. However, teachers are allowed their own policies in their classrooms. Out of ten teachers between my two 7th graders only one has an absolute no phone use in class rule. That same teacher also refuses to use the Chrome Books provided by the school district. My college student has one professor that also has a no phone/iPad/laptop in class policy. Neither of these teachers can restrict them from carrying them though.

I’m with sam_gordon on this, if you have kids who can’t adhere to policy then take it up with them. Given today’s climate and having been on the receiving end of texts from my daughter during a hard lockdown I’d be the first in line to oppose a policy like this.

I spend 40 hours a week listening to the Police Scanners at work. At least here, at even the slightest issue they put schools in lock down, which is good. I bet there are schools here that have lockdowns more frequently than they have assemblies. But if my kid was texting me every time, it would be a lot like Chicken Little screaming "the sky is falling"

At our school the phones are supposed to be stored in their lockers. They do not enforce it. As a result kids sneak them out and text each other and play games.

I spend 40 hours a week listening to the Police Scanners at work. At least here, at even the slightest issue they put schools in lock down, which is good. I bet there are schools here that have lockdowns more frequently than they have assemblies. But if my kid was texting me every time, it would be a lot like Chicken Little screaming "the sky is falling"
I happened to be texting with her (she was at lunch) at the time it happened. I have a 22 year old and two 13 year olds. Combined that’s five schools, seven if you count the college campus my oldest attends/has attended and that’s been the only one.

I have many friends that are teachers and they hate them. If it wasn't hard enough to get kids to listen, now they have to compete with cell phones. We all survived without cell phone in the class room.

But of course we are the parents that take away electronics Sunday night through Friday after school, and on weekends we take them away during the night. Our kid will get a cell phone when she starts 6th grade, will continue to confiscate them at bedtime.

I'm fine with them putting restrictions on their use on school grounds - in backpack, ringer off, not out in the classroom, etc.

I'm not ok with them outright banning them. Should there be an emergency, I want to be able to reach my kids.

Last edited:
I happened to be texting with her (she was at lunch) at the time it happened. I have a 22 year old and two 13 year olds. Combined that’s five schools, seven if you count the college campus my oldest attends/has attended and that’s been the only one.

Seems here if anyone even thinks about whether a lockdown may be necessary, they just do it, which really is the best thing to do.

ODS us 13 and does not have one yet. When he is in high school and riding the bus or in after school activities, I would like for him to have one. I agree with pp. I think keeping them in lockers during school hours or giving them to the teacher at the start of class is reasonable, and would have zero problem backing up teachers who confiscated a device because my kid broke the rules. Unfortunately, many parents won't do this. California's reaction seems like overkill.

During Columbine, there were so many people on their cell phones it jammed the system. We had a medical emergency at our school, near Columbine, and our landline phones were out. We couldn't get through on cell phones because they were jammed.

Lock down for everything or lock out? There is a big difference.

As a teacher, I'm really tired of parents calling or texting their child during the school day when the child is in class. If it's that important for you to talk to your child, call the main office and they will call your child down.

Lock down for everything or lock out? There is a big difference..

Lockdown. Classroom doors are locked, kids stay in the same classroom until cleared

There is also "Shelter In Place", which means the kids can move from classroom to class room, but nobody is let in or out of the grounds, and monitors are placed around the building. To be honest, they don't Shelter in Place often because they don't have the people available to be monitors, just easier to Lockdown

I’m guessing cell service has improved since Columbine.

All my kids are long ago out of high school. I never texted them during school hours. And if I had to, I would expect them not to see it until lunch. I would absolutely fight a policy not allowing phones in classrooms. During an emergency, that may be the only way to contact authorities, and let people know their locations. Apply appropriate rules, and consequences for not following them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter