Butts in the Park

Just got back and I guess I'm old-fashioned, but so was shocked at the newest style - young women wearing shorts with literally half of their butt cheek sticking out of the bottom. We had a particularly awkward time at a character meal when a young woman (could not have been 18 yet) had a good portion of the bottom of her butt cheeks hanging out of her shorts. Every time she got up to meet a character, we had to see half of her butt. This was very awkward due to her age and the fact that I needed to be careful to keep her out of the background of my shots. Apparently, this is not against the WDW dress code. I guess I am out of touch of what is considered acceptable in a family park. I wish Disney would start enforcing some guidelines, particularly in restaurants. We also had to go to security because my kid learned the "f" word from someone's shirt.

All in all, it was a great visit, but please check the shorts on your 15-year old daughters. It just seems very creepy to me that someone would be standing like that in line right in front of older men.
I agree that some people need to dress more modestly. I don't think there is a way for Disney to enforce that, though, as very immodest clothing has become mainstream, unfortunately.

Dress how you want... just keep in mind that CM's do not spray down anything with cleaner after somebody's gross sweaty body just dripped all over it... ;)

As far as hanging your nether regions out, Donald Duck has been doing it for many years!!!

But they are darn close, and get stuff on them from said orifices. Next time you're getting out of the shower, check to see how close the 'cheek line' is to other things.

Presumbably your own orifices are well covered, so you should be fine.

I can't believe I walked into this thread and found people endorsing showing butts in the parks.

Veiled endorsement, of course, but still endorsement.
Nope, not endorsement. Just don't think there's a reasonable way for Disney to deal with it.

I can't believe I walked into this thread and found people endorsing showing butts in the parks.

For my part, its not an endorsement - can't speak for anyone else of course. I don't endorse jorts, socks with sandals, or butts, but none are my business:) I promise you won't see me in any of those in the parks. The only people I notice in the parks are the people having a blast, the little pirates and princesses, or someone dressed in a way I admire. Feels more Disney to focus on the good bits.

"Don't leave your mind so open that your brains fall out." Not sure where I once heard that saying, but I like it. Butts are considered by society, largely, a private area. I don't want to see it especially while I'm eating. It's nothing about body shaming women. You would never see me wearing a crop top in the park, but I don't have a problem when other people do. (And I sure don't want to see a man's butt in the park either). It doesn't seem crazy to assert that butts are different. I do agree that I have no idea how Disney would go about enforcing it.

Last edited:

I'm not endorsing showing butts but I am honestly not going to get bent out of shape about some lower cheek showing. If Disney feels its a problem then they can enforce some sort of dress code, so as long as they aren't I guess you would consider them endorsing it too?

We cover our butts for health reasons - to keep people with STDs from spreading the wealth, to keep E.coli and other friends at bay as much as possible, etc. So if the cheeks are hanging out, so are some of the other parts. No need to toss the slut-shaming out there - for health reasons, keep the orifices covered!
I'm sorry it is virtually impossible to catch an std from a toilet seat where uncovered private parts are touching a surface. It is not possible to catch an std through one's clothing even if someone's rubbed their uncovered butt on a seat. As for E coli, - wash your hands before you eat. To say you don't like people wearing short shorts is one thing but to couch it as a health issue - which its not, is simply wrong.

Geez, if you are that concerned about bodily fluids carry some disinfecting wipes. Plenty of people with more modest clothes are always sweating their butts off and that butt sweat is left behind for your butt to sit on or hands to touch when getting in and out of a seat. I see people with butt sweat shorts on walking around Disney as well as armpit sweat dripping down, etc. Some of those ladies have little or nothing under those modest sundresses that are also touching those seats.

And as far as this being a "new trend" it is not a "new trend" it is how people have dressed for years. It seems OP noticed it more this trip because of a guest at a character meal, but I assure you, you could find the same cut off cheek showing short for twenty years or more. My last trip to Disney, we were on the Ferry where a college girl (maybe 20) had on a home made blue tutu and in the sun you could see she had NOTHING but a pair of white panties underneath. I asked her if she knew it was completely see through and she just nodded. I didn't see her in the park, just on the ferry.

It's an interesting debate.
I mean, everyone should wear what they are comfortable in. (Comments such as "that person should have looked in a mirror" bother me, because, what if they are perfectly happy with how they look, why should they not be because they don't conform to your ideal?)
But, on the other hand, it should be remembered that Disney is a public, and family oriented place. This shouldn't hugely restrict people's clothing choices, but, it might make people think. Such a huge amount of photos are taken at WDW, and I know I would feel uncomfortable if I accidentally had, in the background of my family snap, a potentially underage person showing "part of their body usually covered by swimming costume or underwear" (which is the definition used to teach children which parts constitute inappropriate touching, and includes the buttocks) just because, I would not want to share that picture. Maybe it is the safeguarding training coming out, but, it would make me uncomfortable.

It's an interesting debate.
I mean, everyone should wear what they are comfortable in. (Comments such as "that person should have looked in a mirror" bother me, because, what if they are perfectly happy with how they look, why should they not be because they don't conform to your ideal?)
But, on the other hand, it should be remembered that Disney is a public, and family oriented place. This shouldn't hugely restrict people's clothing choices, but, it might make people think. Such a huge amount of photos are taken at WDW, and I know I would feel uncomfortable if I accidentally had, in the background of my family snap, a potentially underage person showing "part of their body usually covered by swimming costume or underwear" (which is the definition used to teach children which parts constitute inappropriate touching, and includes the buttocks) just because, I would not want to share that picture. Maybe it is the safeguarding training coming out, but, it would make me uncomfortable.
Yes. It has nothing to do with someone's opinion of how the person exposing themselves might look ("good" or "bad" or however otherwise objectified when talking about adults of course). It's about decency to me.

A safety issue? Really? Unless they're completely naked on the bottom, I don't see how. Half of a butt cheek showing is not a safety issue...for anyone. Frankly, I'd rather sit in that seat than sit in the seat of someone who was fully clothed but sweating profusely and soaked the chair with it.

Of course I don't think young girls should be wearing that, I wouldn't let DD10 do it. But when they're adults, that's their choice. If it bothers you, so be it. Wear what you want. If it's within WDW rules, you'll just have to live with it. And like mom2rtk said, who's going to enforce that rule even if they had one?

We had a pool party for our 12 year old daughter and I was surprised at the number of girls in thongs at 10,11, and 12. I didn't realize they made them that small. We ignored it but at our next pool party for kids we stated "no thongs". Our house our rules!!! We've seen quite a few people dressed a little crazy at WDW and we just ignore them. Dictating how people dress and allow their children to dress in public is none of my business. We just make sure our kids are not one of them...

I don't understand body parts hanging out either. But to me that includes swimsuits too. I don't care for swimming but I'm sure there is a lot more skin there. A few years ago I saw a 40 lbs too heavy 30 something guy walking from BC pool, through the lobby, down the long hallway toward the villas/rooms.....in a speedo....all three inches of a red speedo. Just a speedo...no towel, no shirt, no nothing. Aside from the time my naked 1 yr grandkid ran into a hallway, I've never seen so little clothing on a person in the hallways at disney.

nd as far as this being a "new trend" it is not a "new trend" it is how people have dressed for years.

So true I remember my mom yelling at me thirty years ago for my butt cheeks sticking out lol. We can enforce how our own kids dress and that's about it!

We had a pool party for our 12 year old daughter and I was surprised at the number of girls in thongs at 10,11, and 12. I didn't realize they made them that small. We ignored it but at our next pool party for kids we stated "no thongs". Our house our rules!!! We've seen quite a few people dressed a little crazy at WDW and we just ignore them. Dictating how people dress and allow their children to dress in public is none of my business. We just make sure our kids are not one of them...
Thong thongs? That's strange. I live in an area where the style of dress is a little more riskque, but I've never seen a tween in a thong bathing suit (and my girls started to wear them at that age in underwear form). In the past couple of years, cheeky bottoms have been in, but I don't consider them thongs.

Just got back and I guess I'm old-fashioned, but so was shocked at the newest style - young women wearing shorts with literally half of their butt cheek sticking out of the bottom. We had a particularly awkward time at a character meal when a young woman (could not have been 18 yet) had a good portion of the bottom of her butt cheeks hanging out of her shorts. Every time she got up to meet a character, we had to see half of her butt. This was very awkward due to her age and the fact that I needed to be careful to keep her out of the background of my shots. Apparently, this is not against the WDW dress code. I guess I am out of touch of what is considered acceptable in a family park. I wish Disney would start enforcing some guidelines, particularly in restaurants. We also had to go to security because my kid learned the "f" word from someone's shirt.

All in all, it was a great visit, but please check the shorts on your 15-year old daughters. It just seems very creepy to me that someone would be standing like that in line right in front of older men.

I would bet this is against the dress code. I know they have the items listed somewhere. I am with you in thinking those kind of shorts are inappropriate anywhere let alone a theme park geared towards familes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter