Buses and people on scooters...

I can see both sides of the coin just fine. And doing so makes me grateful that I go Disney World without having to make the choice between being in pain all day, and renting an ECV and worrying about being judged by others who seem to think my just being there is negatively affecting their vacation.

I can also see that I would much rather be the person left waiting at the bus stop than be the person in the ECV getting on the bus, even if they get on a bus after only waiting 20 seconds.

I don't like to wait at the bus stop, but I would like being in an ECV, with all its supposed perks, even less.

Nobody is disputing what you have written here. Nobody thinks that ECV users get any perks. The complaint/frustration in general was that it stinks to be waiting for 4 buses with or without children when you are exhausted/have back problems, the kids are falling asleep, have IBS etc. and have to wait for bus#5 because an ECV with a grand gathering full of people pulls up just as it is finally your turn. The complaint was not about ECV users really. It was about that it stinks to have to wait even longer and that we wish there was a better way. Of course it has been explained on this thread by ECV users why it has to be the way it is and it makes a lot of sense. No, it is not a perfect setup for either group but it is probably the best way they can do it.

I have not ever given anyone a looks, eyeroll, made a comment, or even thought much about any ECV user that I personally have ever encountered. That doesn't mean that I think every person who uses an ECV really needs one. I know someone who doesn't need one but she doesn't want to walk when she goes shopping so she uses the one at the store. Do I care? No, but it is an observation. Do I sit with a pad and pencil checking people in ECVs out when I go anywhere? Definetly not. That is plain ridiculous.

The complaint/vent/frustration is that at the end of the day, at WDW, we (a general we) wish there was a better system in place. That's it. We have learned from this discussion that this is the best way to do it even if it isn't a perfect system. That's all.

You've had to wait for 5 busses? Considering how many people those busses hold, that would mean at least 250 to 300 (including any loaded ECVs) would have loaded before you. Honestly, from my experiences with Disney Transport, if there are THAT many people in a queue, they bring out the big guns. They have transports that hold a LOT of people that are literally built into the trailers of semi-trucks. You don't see them often, but they do exist, and they do use them when necessary. I'm not sure if those trailer type transports even accommodate any ECVs, so folks in ECVs and wheelchairs would need to wait for other special transportation, which is likely why they aren't in regular service. But they can move a LOT of ambulatory guests when needed. If you, literally, have to wait for 5 busses, you need to contact the transportation dispatcher.

I once had to wait for 5 buses because they already did the resort loop so I couldn't be loaded onto a bus. It works both ways.
Finally a driver took pity on me and called a bus. We had waited for an hour. No joke. We were ready to call a cab at that point. How is that "fair" to me?

You've had to wait for 5 busses? Considering how many people those busses hold, that would mean at least 250 to 300 (including any loaded ECVs) would have loaded before you. Honestly, from my experiences with Disney Transport, if there are THAT many people in a queue, they bring out the big guns. They have transports that hold a LOT of people that are literally built into the trailers of semi-trucks. You don't see them often, but they do exist, and they do use them when necessary. I'm not sure if those trailer type transports even accommodate any ECVs, so folks in ECVs and wheelchairs would need to wait for other special transportation, which is likely why they aren't in regular service. But they can move a LOT of ambulatory guests when needed. If you, literally, have to wait for 5 busses, you need to contact the transportation dispatcher.

Yes, I have had to wait for 5 buses because sometimes they will pick up from more than one park, resort etc. and when it gets to your stop there is pretty much no room on it. I will also say that yes, they do bring out tons of buses when it is busy sometimes and the wait isn't long. I have had an instance where the transportation supervisor approached us because we waited one hour for a bus. There wasn't any bus at all!:confused3
Look, I think overall the transportation system is great. Overall we never have to wait long but there are times that we do. There will always be little things that can be annoying at the moment. Haven't you ever been hot, tired, and cranky?;) :cutie:

I once had to wait for 5 buses because they already did the resort loop so I couldn't be loaded onto a bus. It works both ways.
Finally a driver took pity on me and called a bus. We had waited for an hour. No joke. We were ready to call a cab at that point. How is that "fair" to me?

I absolutely agree with you. That isn't fair at all.

Yes, I have had to wait for 5 buses because sometimes they will pick up from more than one park, resort etc. and when it gets to your stop there is pretty much no room on it. I will also say that yes, they do bring out tons of buses when it is busy sometimes and the wait isn't long. I have had an instance where the transportation supervisor approached us because we waited one hour for a bus. There wasn't any bus at all!:confused3
Look, I think overall the transportation system is great. Overall we never have to wait long but there are times that we do. There will always be little things that can be annoying at the moment. Haven't you ever been hot, tired, and cranky?;) :cutie:

If you had to wait for 5 buses only to find out there wasn't a bus at all, I would think you would be offended by Disney. Having to wait for 5 buses really had nothing to do with people using ECV's, right?

If you had to wait for 5 buses only to find out there wasn't a bus at all, I would think you would be offended by Disney. Having to wait for 5 buses really had nothing to do with people using ECV's, right?

Absolutely! I know it wasn't the ECV users at fault there. I don't think it is ever the ECV users fault. It's just the situation that kind of makes you grumpy. :flower3:

I just wanted to get other people's opinions regarding people on scooters and the Disney transportation buses.
I remember being at Disney a couple of years ago and waiting in the bus line at the end of our day at MK. The lineup was huge and people were hot and tired. The lineup was so long that it probably was about 3 busloads.
About 1 minute before the bus arrived, a couple, each on scooter, showed up at the "disabled" gate. Of course the driver got off the bus and then had to go through the whole routine of getting them on the bus and secured in positon before he allowed the able bodied passengers on.
Just because they ride on a scooter they get ahead of everyone else?
How is that justifiable? We have to stand in line after day on walking and being in the hot sun while they have been sitting down.....why shouldn't they have to wait like the rest of us?
Am I wrong to feel this way?
I think you are wrong to feel that way! We have finally talked my mom into going to Disney, she has not wanted to go because she knows she will have to use a ECV. She did not want to use one because of judgmental people. My mom is in her 40 but she had brain surgery last year and a stroke this year. As we speak she is laying in the hosptial after having a stroke after church yesterday. I do so hope she is still able to go when our trip arrives but after reading a post like yours I can understand now what my mom meant by judgmental looks and comments. I really do hope that you have great health that will never put you in a situation where you have to depend on anyone or any machinery. I guarantee you my mom would much rather walk and stand in line instead of depending upon a ECV.
Sabrina

And on the other side of that T shirt it should say:

"So Bite Me and Mind Your Own Business! Have a Disney Day!"
I so have to make that shirt!

If it were "just a discussion", then we wouldn't have disabled people on here posting about how poorly they've been treated. It's not just a discussion, this thread is a reflection about how self-important people have become, that they think they have the right to judge whether somebody is "worthy" of an ecv, both on this thread and in real life.

Your post is like somebody who says something mean and then goes, "just kidding!" Yeah, right. :rolleyes:.

Anyhoo. Off to the real world. For all you ecv users, this is one able bodied person (for today, for who knows what tomorrow brings) that won't be thinking anything else about you other than, ain't it cool to be in Disney!!!:thumbsup2
thanks
Absolutely! I know it wasn't the ECV users at fault there. I don't think it is ever the ECV users fault. It's just the situation that kind of makes you grumpy. :flower3:

Mouse House Mama, I don't think anyone is trying to attack you personally. What you are saying does make sense. However, most of the time when someone posts about people using ECV's "whether they need them or not" they are judging other people, and so the comments you're receiving are being directed to that mind set, not yours kwim?

I think this topic has been beaten around enough. Disney does the best they can with what they have and the bottom line is that yes you can be cranky in your own mind. The issue that the people on the board that use these devices are trying to point out that the comments and the judging looks hurt and are not warranted by us as we have done nothing wrong but following the rules set out by Disney. I think the comments about who really needs to use these devices and overweight, lazy people not needing them is terrible. There is going to be no solution to this "debate" and I think it should just stop. I for one am lucky and that since coming home from Disney my disk has finally slipped back into place and that next time I visit Disney hopefully I can walk on my own and wait with everyone else. You know what though, I have complete respect for anyone that needs any kind of assistance while at Disney as I can tell you first hand that it sure isn't fun being in a wheelchair all day long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter