Buses and people on scooters...

I am not trying to start an argument here but this is quite offensive. Not one person on this thread said that they can tell who is faking it or who isn't. The point that was brought up was that yes, some people do rent evc's because they are lazy and not because they really need one. That doesn't mean that every person who rents one is faking it etc. It just means that SOME people are. It's the same thing as the people who pretend to need a GAC pass. Yes, those people are out there. We all know this. It is no different.

Mouse House Mama, I'm afraid I haven't read this thread all the way through (it's pretty long!), but I have read a lot of similar threads on these boards in the past. Those of us with disabilities are not in any way trying to attack anyone else here. The problem is, a lot of us have invisible disabilities, and have had to put up with a lot of people judging us :sad2: (not saying anyone here is doing that, just saying what we often come up against in the wider world). This means that, whenever the subject of 'who deserves what' comes up, we can get a little defensive (I know, I've done it a fair few times myself). I hope nobody's feelings have been hurt during this thread, and that we can all have an informative and friendly discussion :goodvibes!

I have the utmost respect for those of you who manage the physical challenges and then deal with the responses here and at WDW. Like Aubriee's mother, I have decided that I will not go to WDW when I am no longer as mobile as I am today. The threads here over the years, combined with what I have witnessed in person, have led me to that decision.

Once my time comes (and I am quite literally racing in fear from the time that other parts of my body fail as some have already done) I will visit DLRP and EuropaPark for my theme park fixes. While they may not be as accessible as WDW, the general population there does not appear to have the same attitude towards those requiring assistance.

Huge hugs, Bavaria :hug:. Please, please don't give up on WDW because of disability. I know that you can feel like everyone is judging your needs, especially when you see people complaining about 'fakers' getting so many good 'perks' (not having a go at anyone here, just making general sweeping statements), but don't give in to that nasty little voice.

My Fibromyalgia has been ramping up for years, and on all of my WDW visits for the last 10 or so years, I've had to use a wheelchair for at least some of it. Even when I was a teenager, using a WDW rental chair (apparently this group of people is often singled out as one of the most likely 'fakers'), I hardly noticed any nasty comments. Now that the Fibro is in full swing, I have my own chair, and still find Disney to be the most accepting and friendly place in the world. I think I experience much more judgment, nastiness and ignorance in the 'real world', than in WDW. But still, for every one idiot I meet, I find at least 10 kind and helpful people who go out of their way to help me; when you go to Disney, the kindness seems to increase tenfold :goodvibes!

Disney is wonderful therapy for all of us, disabled or not, and I really hope you don't deprive yourself of this wonderful medicine, just because of a few heartless jerks (again, not having a go at anyone here). :hug:

You aren't missing anything (although, there is room for a maximum of 2, so a 3rd to arrive would be out of luck).
Other than that small correction, you are not missing anything.

::yes:: Just as Sue said. I tend to go in September time, because it's a lot quieter and cooler then than in August. The bus lines, even at closing time, were pretty much non-existent on our last trip 2 years back. Most of the time, the bus only had a few families on it at a time, and even when it was budy, everyone seemed to get on the first bus that arrived. That is, except me and my mother. A lot of the time, we got buses who's lifts or ramps were broken, or who didn't have working restraints. Once or twice, the bus driver didn't come and load me on, and then said we couldn't get on as the bus was too full :headache: (thankfully, we only met a few of these pixie-dust-deficient drivers).

This isn't me whinging, complaining or trying to claim that I 'deserve' something others don't, I just want to put things in perspective for those who haven't travelled Disney with a wheelchair / ECV.

Just a couple of summing up points, then (not talking down to anyone, it's just that I think best in bullet-points):

:) There are only two wheelchair spaces on each bus

:) Not every bus has a working ramp or lift on it (Disney are very good about repairs, but with a fleet that big, they're bound to get problems)

:) Drivers need to load wheelchair users on first, to give us the space to maneuvre, and to make sure none of the other Guests get hurt

It is likely that you will encounter more wheelchair users in Disney, than in the 'real world' as it is so big, that many partially mobile people need the extra help to get around. Also, because Disney is so accessible to people with so many different disabilities, they do tend to attract those of us with additional needs. Most of us aren't faking, and if anyone is, they'll be the ones missing out, as being in a wheelchair isn't that fun (other than when you go down a slope quickly; that is fun :lmao:).

Oh, and if anybody wishes to glare at a wheelchair user, I'll be going this September, and will be completely oblivious to any ill-will aimed in my direction, as I just want to have a good time :goodvibes

OK, I'll stop rambling now :rotfl:

I don't think that anyone who uses an ECV to get around Disney because of a pain problem is cheating or abusing the system. I can't imagine why anyone would want to walk around Disney on a bad foot, that is just silly!

It is kind of like saying we are all cheating by using cars every day instead of walking. We use cars because they make it easier for us to travel long distances that we couldn't if we just walked. Same with ECV users. They use them to get around a park that they couldn't while walking.

If someone suffers thru the parks without one, and think it makes them a better person somehow, it doesn't. I think it is awful that anyone would not use an ECV because of those people who give them dirty looks, or even have the nerve to make nasty comments. Who cares what those loosers think? You don't know them, and will most likely never see them again! Why put their small minds ahead of what is best for you and your family?

Anyone who needs a fellow DISer to ride shotgun with them while they use their ECV at Disney, just let me know. I will go along and glady shoot dirty looks at those who make nasty comments and look at you funny.

I'm gonna risk being flamed to death...but I see the OP's point. It is very frustrating when there are 300 people waiting in line, and the 301st person rolls up on a scooter and gets to automatically go to the head of the line. (sometimes with their whole grand gathering) One cannot help feeling annoyed or frustrated, especially if you have been waiting a long time or if you are tired or dealing with whiny, tired kids. It seems there should be some system where the ECV/wheelchair bound person waits in line with everyone else and is diverted out closer to what would be the "natural" front of the line to be loaded on the bus.

I know that all that glitters is not gold, and that what seems like a "perk" often is not. I also think that people should realize that not all folks renting ECV's/wheelchairs are disabled. (I know some) and people will pay, whatever the price, for the "convenience" of not walking. (again, I know some) Because no one can tell a truly disabled person from another we have to accept that everyone in an ECV/wheelchair is disabled, and treat everyone accordingly.

I'm gonna risk being flamed to death...but I see the OP's point. It is very frustrating when there are 300 people waiting in line, and the 301st person rolls up on a scooter and gets to automatically go to the head of the line. (sometimes with their whole grand gathering) One cannot help feeling annoyed or frustrated, especially if you have been waiting a long time or if you are tired or dealing with whiny, tired kids. It seems there should be some system where the ECV/wheelchair bound person waits in line with everyone else and is diverted out closer to what would be the "natural" front of the line to be loaded on the bus.

I know that all that glitters is not gold, and that what seems like a "perk" often is not. I also think that people should realize that not all folks renting ECV's/wheelchairs are disabled. (I know some) and people will pay, whatever the price, for the "convenience" of not walking. (again, I know some) Because no one can tell a truly disabled person from another we have to accept that everyone in an ECV/wheelchair is disabled, and treat everyone accordingly.

This is a great post and I think it pretty much sums it all up.:thumbsup2

I'm starting to think that maybe I live in a parallel universe. I have never seen this occur (300 people waiting in line, and then the people 301-321 show up with a single person in a wheelchair and "jump the queue").

I agree that that would be rather frustrating and I'm not suggesting it never happens - but posters are making it sound like an everyday occurrence.

Please don't think so concretely. Imagine it is a busy season. Spring break, 4th of July, Christmas. The parks are closing, the queue rails (the things we refer to as "cattle chutes") are all full (and, no, I have never actually counted how many people are actually held in them) and you are somewhere in the middle of the line and you have been standing there for some time. You are tired, your feet hurt. Kid #1 is falling asleep and you are propping her up. Kid #2 is whining that his feet hurt and he is tired of waiting, kid #3 is in a pout because she wants to go swimming when you get back to the hotel but you have told her "no way" because you are too tired and the little ones need to go to bed, and people keep bumping the baby who is sleeping in the stroller. Then someone, behind you, rolls up in a scooter. They automatically (as per WDW practice) go to the front of the waiting area, with their party, of whatever size, in tow and are loaded on to the next available bus. This happens every day. Maybe during some times of the day or year the line is shorter, or longer, but this is the WDW practice. It is not the fault or the policy of the ECV/wheelchair bound person, nor do I think they are expecting "special" treatment. It is merely WDW practice, and they are following it. I, for one, can understand the frustration of the folks standing in line. I did not say that this was an excuse to ridicule anyone, or shoot anyone the stink eye, but I do understand the point the OP is trying to make.

I think most of what needs to be said has been here. I think the thing that stands out to me is the idea that there are "lots" of people using ECV's that really don't need them.

I honestly can't fathom someone with no need for an ECV actually using one full time at WDW. Yes, I have heard all the comments about how "lucky" I am, and how great it must be to not have to walk and to sit all day etc...:rolleyes: I can see some one that is really lazy deciding to maybe rent one for a day. But I just can't see them actually continuing to use it once they figure out that the reality is that it SUCKS!

They are expensive to rent, either offsite or from Disney. You move at the speed of snail. As someone mentioned, you are excluded from most conversations with your companions. You usually end up in front of or behind them. You look at butts all day. I can't just stroll around with a water bottle in one hand and popcorn in the other. I spend a whole lot of time just trying to cross from one place to another because of the foot traffic. I can't just see an attraction or something and walk over. I have to do a very slow and careful merge. There have been times I have been stuck for 5 or 10 minutes coming out of a show or busy ride area because I can't move due to the walking traffic. I have to take very slow elevators, like to get to Soarin, when everyone else just walks up and down the escalator/stairs. I have been to shows that were out of Handicapped places so I couldn't go in. Or when I do get in I sit by myself, or have to decide which of my kids I want to sit with while the other sits with Daddy. Yes, I get handicapped spots for fireworks and parades, but sometimes those are behind many others, and are not convenient for my family to join me. Again, it is often easier to just let my kids and Daddy go elsewhere to get a better seat and I stay alone. And afterwards I may as well get a good book and hang out because there is no way to maneuver a scooter safely in the shoulder to shoulder crowd. And on Main Street is even harder because of the trolley tracks.

Buses are a pain. Yes. I have rolled up and gotten on before the line standing there. I have also waited for 3,4 or 5 buses before I could be loaded. I have been ON a bus and had the ramp stop working, trapping me inside. I am not sure that people also understand how hard it is to park an ECV on a bus. It is parallel parking at it's worst. We have to get on, pull forward between the seats (those older brown seat buses are the worst) and then do the parallel parking forward and back motions until you are perfectly in place. Some bus drivers will help if you need it but many just stand there and look annoyed while you try to get in place. I have been on a bus where people decided to stream into the front while 2 ECV's were loaded. Several nearly lost their toes! Believe me, you don't want to be on there when ECV's are being loaded or unloaded. I have approached all of this with a good attitude and always try to see the humor in the situation. But I too get hot and tired and and usually have at least one crying meltdown from the frustration. I will say that I have never heard any negativity from other park guests even though several of my trips my problems have been hidden (I think for one trip I had my cam walker on). But also tend to be oblivious to nasty and mean people so maybe I just didn't notice it! The majority of the comments I have gotten have been wonderful, and I have encountered so many nice people.

I have my own scooter now and am a much better driver now than I was. I rented one for several trips. Yes it may seem like they are just renting for this trip, but these are likely the same people you see using a scooter at Walmart and Target and Home Depot. These are the people you DON'T see at the mall, because they don't have a personal scooter (they are very expensive and many insurances won't cover them, not to mention the expense of having your car fitted to transport them). Before I got my own scooter I wasn't able to go a lot of places locally. And there were times that I went to do my grocery shopping and couldn't because all the ECV's were in use.

I can't imagine that more than a handful of people would willingly use an ECV with no need. It is one of the most frustrating things I have ever done. Everyone thinks it looks so great and would make the day easy, but I really think that after trying it for a day those that could walk would give it up and just decide to take it slowly, or quit being lazy! As Chuck S. said, I challenge anyone that thinks it is the "easy" or "lazy" way out to try it for a day. I wish I could pay for the rental for you. I would be willing to bet 99% of the people wouldn't make it more than a few hours before they said "screw this, it is easier to just walk!" I sure wish that I could.

So why are there "so many" ECV's at WDW? Because the technology is there and the rental companies are there now. I see so many comments about how there are so many more ECV's than in the past. In the past those people that need them wouldn't have been able to go at all. The technology of the ECV has made it possible for many people that couldn't do their own grocery shopping or visit a theme park to get out of the house. People who used to be considered "shut ins" are now able to get out. Some posters seem to think that there are more ECV's now because people are just lazy. No. There are more because the availability is there for those that couldn't travel without them to now go to WDW.

Around my area there aren't any easy access ECV rental companies despite having several major tourist attractions. I am an anomaly! I don't see very many other people on personal scooters when I am out and I get a lot of comments (all positive!). Our major amusement park rents ECV's but there are no outside rental companies. I would guess that it is like that where most everyone else is from also. That is why the concentration of ECV's seems so high when you go to WDW.

I used to embarrass DD13 because I would dance in the parks. Now I embarrass her because I am in an ECV.

I really can't believe that many are choosing an ECV for no reason.:rolleyes:

Please don't think so concretely. Imagine it is a busy season. Spring break, 4th of July, Christmas. The parks are closing, the queue rails (the things we refer to as "cattle chutes") are all full (and, no, I have never actually counted how many people are actually held in them) and you are somewhere in the middle of the line and you have been standing there for some time. You are tired, your feet hurt. Kid #1 is falling asleep and you are propping her up. Kid #2 is whining that his feet hurt and he is tired of waiting, kid #3 is in a pout because she wants to go swimming when you get back to the hotel but you have told her "no way" because you are too tired and the little ones need to go to bed, and people keep bumping the baby who is sleeping in the stroller. Then someone, behind you, rolls up in a scooter. They automatically (as per WDW practice) go to the front of the waiting area, with their party, of whatever size, in tow and are loaded on to the next available bus. This happens every day. Maybe during some times of the day or year the line is shorter, or longer, but this is the WDW practice. It is not the fault or the policy of the ECV/wheelchair bound person, nor do I think they are expecting "special" treatment. It is merely WDW practice, and they are following it. I, for one, can understand the frustration of the folks standing in line. I did not say that this was an excuse to ridicule anyone, or shoot anyone the stink eye, but I do understand the point the OP is trying to make.

But the reverse is also true, isn't it? We have arrived at the bus stop to see two or three other w/c or ECV guests waiting. Ambulatory people show up later. Two w/c guests are loaded, all the ambulatory guests are loaded, even though we were there before they walked up. And yet, those ambulatory guests have complained that they had to wait on a wheelchair to load, a wheelchaoir that was there first, and took away from their park time. In fact, we had this happen at OKW, and the busses are very rarely crowded there. Perhaps the busses should not load any ambulatory guests if the 2 w/c slots are full and there is another w/c waiting. Simply say the bus is full and drive off. That would certainly make things equal, wouldn't it? Since the policy everyone seems to want is first arrived, first served. Maybe they should have a "take a number" machine, and if a wheelchair party's number comes up, but can't be loaded, then nobody else can load either. Do you really think that would set OK with those that have tired cranky children? That would be fair, right? Of course, expect increases in park admissin prices and resort prices to cover the additional fuel would be necessary to run all those partially empty busses, and have additional busses on every route. Or even longer wait times. But really, everyone should be just fine with that, after all, fair is fair.

But the reverse is also true, isn't it? We have arrived at the bus stop to see two or three other w/c or ECV guests waiting. Ambulatory people show up later. Two w/c guests are loaded, all the ambulatory guests are loaded, even though we were there before they walked up. And yet, those ambulatory guests have complained that they had to wait on a wheelchair to load, a wheelchaoir that was there first, and took away from their park time. In fact, we had this happen at OKW, and the busses are very rarely crowded there. Perhaps the busses should not load any ambulatory guests if the 2 w/c slots are full and there is another w/c waiting. Simply say the bus is full and drive off. That would certainly make things equal, wouldn't it? Since the policy everyone seems to want is first arrived, first served. Maybe they should have a "take a number" machine, and if a wheelchair party's number comes up, but can't be loaded, then nobody else can load either. Do you really think that would set OK with those that have tired cranky children? That would be fair, right? Of course, expect increases in park admissin prices and resort prices to cover the additional fuel would be necessary to run all those partially empty busses, and have additional busses on every route. Or even longer wait times.

Actually, from what I've read on the DISabilities board, that (what I've bolded) is, technically, what they are supposed to do. If it is too full to take ECVs, it is too full to take anybody.

I can just imagine what would happen if it were actually enforced.

And, I've NEVER not gotten on a bus because someone in an ECV came up. Either I got on anyway, or I was back further than the number of people in the party with the ECV.

This topic has compelled me to sign up and post. First of all before I even get started on the topic itself. I need to be given the description of what a moderator is supposed to do. I have always thought that a moderator of any sort is to do just that; moderate. Moderators are to keep the dialogue open on both sides so opposing views are equally given, NOT give their opinion. You have taken the topic as your own and tipped the scale to one side. Chuck S and Sue M from MN should moderate and not give their opinions or observations. If you both want to give opinions, then you should give up you moderate positions.:confused

This topic has compelled me to sign up and post. First of all before I even get started on the topic itself. I need to be given the description of what a moderator is supposed to do. I have always thought that a moderator of any sort is to do just that; moderate. Moderators are to keep the dialogue open on both sides so opposing views are equally given, NOT give their opinion. You have taken the topic as your own and tipped the scale to one side. Chuck S and Sue M from MN should moderate and not give their opinions or observations. If you both want to give opinions, then you should give up you moderate positions.:confused

Neither of them are moderators on THIS board (Chuck S is on DVC, Sue is on DISabilites), they have no moderator status in this conversation. Nor are they trying to act as if they do - I haven't seen either of them tell a poster that they can post whatever that poster feels like posting.

For all of the people who think that ECVs should wait in line with everyone else, I would like to know this: You wouldn't mind that if an ECV was next to load on the bus and all the ECV spots were full, that the bus just left you standing there, even though there were seats available for able-bodied people? Cause that is the only way for it to be fair and equal. If the next person in line is in an ECV and they can't board, then no one could board. Or do you think you should be able to cut the line, cause there was room for you?:confused3

I think most of what needs to be said has been here. I think the thing that stands out to me is the idea that there are "lots" of people using ECV's that really don't need them.

I honestly can't fathom someone with no need for an ECV actually using one full time at WDW. Yes, I have heard all the comments about how "lucky" I am, and how great it must be to not have to walk and to sit all day etc...:rolleyes: I can see some one that is really lazy deciding to maybe rent one for a day. But I just can't see them actually continuing to use it once they figure out that the reality is that it SUCKS!

They are expensive to rent, either offsite or from Disney. You move at the speed of snail. As someone mentioned, you are excluded from most conversations with your companions. You usually end up in front of or behind them. You look at butts all day. I can't just stroll around with a water bottle in one hand and popcorn in the other. I spend a whole lot of time just trying to cross from one place to another because of the foot traffic. I can't just see an attraction or something and walk over. I have to do a very slow and careful merge. There have been times I have been stuck for 5 or 10 minutes coming out of a show or busy ride area because I can't move due to the walking traffic. I have to take very slow elevators, like to get to Soarin, when everyone else just walks up and down the escalator/stairs. I have been to shows that were out of Handicapped places so I couldn't go in. Or when I do get in I sit by myself, or have to decide which of my kids I want to sit with while the other sits with Daddy. Yes, I get handicapped spots for fireworks and parades, but sometimes those are behind many others, and are not convenient for my family to join me. Again, it is often easier to just let my kids and Daddy go elsewhere to get a better seat and I stay alone. And afterwards I may as well get a good book and hang out because there is no way to maneuver a scooter safely in the shoulder to shoulder crowd. And on Main Street is even harder because of the trolley tracks.

Buses are a pain. Yes. I have rolled up and gotten on before the line standing there. I have also waited for 3,4 or 5 buses before I could be loaded. I have been ON a bus and had the ramp stop working, trapping me inside. I am not sure that people also understand how hard it is to park an ECV on a bus. It is parallel parking at it's worst. We have to get on, pull forward between the seats (those older brown seat buses are the worst) and then do the parallel parking forward and back motions until you are perfectly in place. Some bus drivers will help if you need it but many just stand there and look annoyed while you try to get in place. I have been on a bus where people decided to stream into the front while 2 ECV's were loaded. Several nearly lost their toes! Believe me, you don't want to be on there when ECV's are being loaded or unloaded. I have approached all of this with a good attitude and always try to see the humor in the situation. But I too get hot and tired and and usually have at least one crying meltdown from the frustration. I will say that I have never heard any negativity from other park guests even though several of my trips my problems have been hidden (I think for one trip I had my cam walker on). But also tend to be oblivious to nasty and mean people so maybe I just didn't notice it! The majority of the comments I have gotten have been wonderful, and I have encountered so many nice people.

I have my own scooter now and am a much better driver now than I was. I rented one for several trips. Yes it may seem like they are just renting for this trip, but these are likely the same people you see using a scooter at Walmart and Target and Home Depot. These are the people you DON'T see at the mall, because they don't have a personal scooter (they are very expensive and many insurances won't cover them, not to mention the expense of having your car fitted to transport them). Before I got my own scooter I wasn't able to go a lot of places locally. And there were times that I went to do my grocery shopping and couldn't because all the ECV's were in use.

I can't imagine that more than a handful of people would willingly use an ECV with no need. It is one of the most frustrating things I have ever done. Everyone thinks it looks so great and would make the day easy, but I really think that after trying it for a day those that could walk would give it up and just decide to take it slowly, or quit being lazy! As Chuck S. said, I challenge anyone that thinks it is the "easy" or "lazy" way out to try it for a day. I wish I could pay for the rental for you. I would be willing to bet 99% of the people wouldn't make it more than a few hours before they said "screw this, it is easier to just walk!" I sure wish that I could.

So why are there "so many" ECV's at WDW? Because the technology is there and the rental companies are there now. I see so many comments about how there are so many more ECV's than in the past. In the past those people that need them wouldn't have been able to go at all. The technology of the ECV has made it possible for many people that couldn't do their own grocery shopping or visit a theme park to get out of the house. People who used to be considered "shut ins" are now able to get out. Some posters seem to think that there are more ECV's now because people are just lazy. No. There are more because the availability is there for those that couldn't travel without them to now go to WDW.

Around my area there aren't any easy access ECV rental companies despite having several major tourist attractions. I am an anomaly! I don't see very many other people on personal scooters when I am out and I get a lot of comments (all positive!). Our major amusement park rents ECV's but there are no outside rental companies. I would guess that it is like that where most everyone else is from also. That is why the concentration of ECV's seems so high when you go to WDW.

I used to embarrass DD13 because I would dance in the parks. Now I embarrass her because I am in an ECV.

I really can't believe that many are choosing an ECV for no reason.:rolleyes:

Excellent post! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 I love the picture of you in your ECV. It's way cool!

As has been said before, it is an imperfect system. There is no way to please everyone. From the point of view of the person that is waiting in line, it is frustrating to see someone who appears to be going in front of you, even when they arrived later than you. I believe that is what the OP is trying to impart. Feelings are neither right or wrong, they are just that, feelings.
I also don't believe that there are "lots" of people using ECV's for convenience, but they are out there. I think that they don't see it as the inconvenience that people who require the ECV do because they don't actually wait in the alternate entrances. They just park the ECV and go in the regular lines and entrances, or walk to wherever it is they need to go, if it is not conducive to an ECV. ...and again I know people who get ECV's because they don't want to walk, not because they can't.

It is an imperfect system. There is no way to ensure that everyone feels that they are being treated fairly. I guess your feelings on the matter depend on your point of view. If you are an ECV user you feel it is unfair that buses only take 2 ECV's at a time. If you are ambulatory you feel it is unfair that people who are not ambulatory don't have to wait. I was just trying to explore some sort of method that would meet the situation somewhere in the middle.

As has been said before, it is an imperfect system. There is no way to please everyone. From the point of view of the person that is waiting in line, it is frustrating to see someone who appears to be going in front of you, even when they arrived later than you. I believe that is what the OP is trying to impart. Feelings are neither right or wrong, they are just that, feelings.
I also don't believe that there are "lots" of people using ECV's for convenience, but they are out there. I think that they don't see it as the inconvenience that people who require the ECV do because they don't actually wait in the alternate entrances. They just park the ECV and go in the regular lines and entrances, or walk to wherever it is they need to go, if it is not conducive to an ECV. ...and again I know people who get ECV's because they don't want to walk, not because they can't.

It is an imperfect system. There is no way to ensure that everyone feels that they are being treated fairly. I guess your feelings on the matter depend on your point of view. If you are an ECV user you feel it is unfair that buses only take 2 ECV's at a time. If you are ambulatory you feel it is unfair that people who are not ambulatory don't have to wait. I was just trying to explore some sort of method that would meet the situation somewhere in the middle.

But the problem is, there really isn't a middle of the road method that would provide for the safety of all guests for loading/unloading that also would provide equal wait times, at least not using existing busses. As discussed earlier in the thread, it could be done, either through new technologies (monorails, light rail, etc.) or adding a lot more busses (maybe some dedicated for guests on wheels, and others dedicated to ambulatory guests) to routes, either solution would be extremely expensive, and Disney would need to recoup that cost somewhere, either through park ticket media or room rates.

I really think, given their available options, Disney has a good, though not perfect, transportation system.

Excellent post! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 I love the picture of you in your ECV. It's way cool!

The one in that picture is a rental, that was my first time ECVing. My personal one is way cooler! I can't find a good pic of it though, since I am usually the one taking the pictures.

But the problem is, there really isn't a middle of the road method that would provide for the safety of all guests for loading/unloading that also would provide equal wait times, at least not using existing busses. As discussed earlier in the thread, it could be done, either through new technologies (monorails, light rail, etc.) or adding a lot more busses (maybe some dedicated for guests on wheels, and others dedicated to ambulatory guests) to routes, either solution would be extremely expensive, and Disney would need to recoup that cost somewhere, either through park ticket media or room rates.

I really think, given their available options, Disney has a good, though not perfect, transportation system.
Or replacing the current buses with ones that allow everyone (on feet or on wheels) to enter through the front door and more seats that could be used for either people who are walking on or people who are rolling on.

The one in that picture is a rental, that was my first time ECVing. My personal one is way cooler! I can't find a good pic of it though, since I am usually the one taking the pictures.

Sweet! What color is it? What kind did you get?

I'm thinking about getting one. Depending on which way my current situation goes... If I get one I really want it to be sparkley purple and maybe with hot pink glittery stars or flames on the side of it. :banana::banana::banana:

Sweet! What color is it? What kind did you get?

I'm thinking about getting one. Depending on which way my current situation goes... If I get one I really want it to be sparkley purple and maybe with hot pink glittery stars or flames on the side of it. :banana::banana::banana:
Cheshire Figment bought a good used scooter from one of the rental places and then had it custom painted in an auto body shop, so doing those thingsw might be an option for you.

Cheshire Figment bought a good used scooter from one of the rental places and then had it custom painted in an auto body shop, so doing those thingsw might be an option for you.

Thanks Sue! I knew that Cheshire had his painted, I just didn't know where. I'm going to have to see if there's any medical supply stores that will sell their "demos" at a lower cost. I don't think we have any rental places up here but I should definitely look. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter