Burgers?! In N Out, Shake Shack or The Habit?

Interesting, I'm wondering why you feel that way? I tend to prefer the opposite - I like to eat in at Habit Burger (the chicken sandwich tends to get soggy if you delay eating it, and can be quite messy), but I always take In 'N Out to go. I don't like the atmosphere inside very much.

I heard a great story about In-n-Out burgers to go on the show Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me on NPR...about a fresh burger in the wrapper ready to eat found on a sidewalk in Manhattan. It’s too funny the speculation on how it got there in such good condition. Eventually, after a social media search, someone reported bringing three home on a plane, and when she got in a cab, one fell out of her bag.

Anyway, my east coast family just had our first In N Out visit in June. It’s wonderful. And I did not expect such low prices. Sigh. Maybe we will be back in a few years...

Most people who dislike In N Out are usually the ones who do not know how to order In N Out.
For example, if you like your burger plain, avoid In N Out. If you dislike tomatoes of lettuce on your burger avoid In N Out.

For In n Out the normal menu is good. If you order Animal Style, like Double Double Animal Style it takes it to a whole other level.
People tend to like the Animal Style Fries, I don't
People tend to hate the normal fries and are use to a crispy style of fry. If that is the case, order your fries well done.

ME

Last edited:
I heard a great story about In-n-Out burgers to go on the show Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me on NPR...about a fresh burger in the wrapper ready to eat found on a sidewalk in Manhattan. It’s too funny the speculation on how it got there in such good condition. Eventually, after a social media search, someone reported bringing three home on a plane, and when she got in a cab, one fell out of her bag.

Anyway, my east coast family just had our first In N Out visit in June. It’s wonderful. And I did not expect such low prices. Sigh. Maybe we will be back in a few years...

I read an article about that burger. And I thought about it for days after... Mostly because I was super sad that someone probably realized they were missing a burger when they got home. It must have been devastating to make it that far with them and be down by one. Now I know...

In-n-out if it was me.

My husband swears by the mustard fried burger. I love the burger with caramelized onions. I love the fries both ways, normal and well. We finally have an In-n-out within 7 hours of us and soon will have one within 4 hours! Can't wait until it's a day trip.

I agree with the poster who said it's not that great to go. We prefer to eat there. I like really hot food though.

1st Shake Shack - best tasting, best quality. Downside: line can be horrendous, it's probably the most expensive option.
2nd In n Out - 2nd best tasting, really good quality, relatively generous locations throughout so-cal. Downside: line can be horrendous, i agree fries need to be eaten right away.
3rd Five Guys - I do like eating here, but their beef is inferior to the above, but they make up for it by letting you add bacon/mayo/mushrooms/etc... so if you're a customizer, go to Five Guys. I also like their cajun fries.
4th Habit - I also like eating here, but this feels like it's too much sometimes. They have a really good grilled cheese if you have a picky eater that only eats grilled cheese.

The real winner? Earl of Sandwich. Cheapest/highest quality eats in Downtown Disney, and it's right next to the monorail station. I could eat their Holiday Turkey sandwich all day. Best of all, you can ubereats that to your hotel if you're off-site.

They aren’t cheap but if you want the best burger in Orange County go to the Counter in Irvine.

I didn't realize there were still Counter locations out there. The Torrance one closed a couple years ago and the El Segundo one closed about a year ago. I miss them - amazing burgers and shakes! I'll have to head down to Irvine soon. Thanks for posting this!!

A recent national poll had the following order
1) In n Out
2) Five Guys
3) Culver’s

Shake Shack was not on the list and I concur with this. I will take a Five Guy’s or a Culver’s burger over Shake Shack any time. I personally prefer Five Guys and Culver’s to In n Out.

OP: if you decide to go to In"N'Out, the location at Ball Rd. and State College (the closest one to the parks) is next to a Walmart supermarket. So you could combine dinner and a quick shopping trip for supplies for the hotel room in one go.

ETA: the Walmart Supermarket is now on Anaheim Blvd. -- not far from In'N'Out and the parks.

Last edited:
OP: if you decide to go to In"N'Out, the location at Ball Rd. and State College (the closest one to the parks) is next to a Walmart supermarket. So you could combine dinner and a quick shopping trip for supplies for the hotel room in one go.

Thank you sooooo much for posting this! We are new locals to Disneyland and always looking for ways to eat cheaper since we go so much! I told my husband the other week that there has to be an In and Out relatively close!

In N Out fries are an insult to fries. True garbage, in my opinion.
Yeah, the fries just aren't as good without the Sugar, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, tertiary butylhydroquinone, Dimethylpolysiloxane, Citric acid, and my personal favorite "natural beef flavor" featuring hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk. MMMMMM wheat and milk derivatives because you know, who would actually want a vegetable a vegan could eat. That's no fun.

Which is your favorite and why? Trying to decide what to try for out October vacation. I definitely want to go to try Black Tap and we want to Uber to Fuddrucker’s (love this because we don’t have it in Indiana anymore). Is there even a Shake Shack in Anaheim anymore? I find it on yelp but not on their site or google maps :confused3 We’ve never tried any of these (besides Fuddrucker’s). Which are worth going to?

Shake Shack is good but it's on the expensive side. It's over $10 easy for burger, fries and drink. And if you get a shake, it could be over $15 easy. Is it worth that for a product that is just arguably marginally better than In and out?
If we're talking best bang for the buck, then it's In and Out hands down. What you will not get at In and out is the best burger you've ever had or anything close to it. Face it. When it comes to its fans It's the Dole Whip and Zebra Domes of the fast food industry. It is not to die for or anything close. What you will get is a good burger at a good price. We're talking under $8 for Burger, Fries, and shake.

Out of the places you've mentioned (sans Fuddruckers since I've never been there), the only one I'll willingly go to again is The Habit.

Been to Inn and Out way too many times to count and only because other family members wanted to go there. To me, it's a small burger with half a container of salt on it. Usually, I can only taste salt when I eat it. The fries are usually tasteless and soggy in my opinion. Not generally one to crave fries anyway.

Only been to Shake Shack a couple times. 2 different locations and really horrible service and messed up orders both times. Strike 2, they're out for me.

The Habit - been to probably 4 locations. Burgers nothing to go out of my way for, but better than the other 2 places. I never had the fries. I get the green beans (which I'd be happy to just have that for me meal) or a salad. They have been consistent and I can taste the food there.

Been to Inn and Out way too many times to count and only because other family members wanted to go there. To me, it's a small burger with half a container of salt on it. Usually, I can only taste salt when I eat it. The fries are usually tasteless and soggy in my opinion. Not generally one to crave fries anyway.

In case your family forces you to go back to In n Out again, you can order your burger no salt. I agree with you on the fries though!

Habit Burger with A-1 sauce., I sometimes bring my own Blue Cheese to put on it, Like the Wild Blue Yonder they used to have at Taste Pilot next to Soarin Over Calif.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter