Burgers?! In N Out, Shake Shack or The Habit?

All over the place. LAX, Brentwood, Studio City, even in Vegas. Never had good fries without getting them well done.

I'll add San Pedro, Torrance, Ventura, Santa Maria and Arroyo Grande. If you ask for them well, they end up crunchy - not crispy.

Personally, I think In n Out has gone downhill in quality in recent years. I grew up eating them, then lived out of state for about 15 years and every visit home included In n Out. Once we moved back to CA, I ate there twice a week - on weekends with hubby and kids, and by myself while running errands mid-week. Somewhere along the way, they just lost their appeal to me. I will still eat there when traveling or visiting my folks, but it's never my first choice these days.

As for the others...Habit is okay, but I don't like char marks on my burgers. I don't really care for 5 guys so much - too salty. I do like Shake Shack, but my husband doesn't care for it so much, so we don't go often.

I know this is sacrilegious but...I REALLY don't like In-N-Out. I've gone three times (with locals, ordering the "right way") and it's just not for me.

But I work next door to Madison Square Park, home of the original Shake Shack and my one true love. Give me a Shackburger and crinkly fries any day of the week.

I know this is sacrilegious but...I REALLY don't like In-N-Out. I've gone three times (with locals, ordering the "right way") and it's just not for me.

But I work next door to Madison Square Park, home of the original Shake Shack and my one true love. Give me a Shackburger and crinkly fries any day of the week.
We love both -- it just depends on our mood and location. But, there is a Shake Shack by my parents' house that is catercorner from an In'N'Out -- lol! We can go back and forth, depending on our craving and mood. I just love that they are so close that we can literally run back and forth as we please! :)

Last edited:
In-n-Out in California is out of this world good. We have In-n-Out in Texas, but it doesn't taste the same. In Texas, I'd vote for Shake Shack, a truly juicy delicious burger and their chicken sandwich is the bomb also. In Cali, I'd vote for In-n-Out. Can't beat a classic.
Interesting. I've only had Texas In-n-Out and I love it. It's our favorite, like practically a weekly visit favorite. We will soon get to try the California version.

I guess it's similar to Five Guys. They are way better in the DC area, the Texas Five Guys are just different. I miss the original. It's not bad, it's just not the same.

Interesting. I've only had Texas In-n-Out and I love it. It's our favorite, like practically a weekly visit favorite. We will soon get to try the California version.

I guess it's similar to Five Guys. They are way better in the DC area, the Texas Five Guys are just different. I miss the original. It's not bad, it's just not the same.
If you love the Texas version (they're not bad), then you will drool over the Cali version.

Here's the thing with In N Out. It is a decent burger, but IMO it is a decent burger compared to, say, McDonald's and Burger King. The people on the hype train for In N Out, though, makes it seem like it is the best burger in the entire world, and, sorry, they're just not. I'd take Culver's, Portillo's, Shake Shack, and Five Guys any day over In N Out.

I'm not saying it's bad, it is a decent burger. But manage your expectations. It is not God's gift to burgers where the skies open up and the angels sing as some people will present it to be.

Here's the thing with In N Out. It is a decent burger, but IMO it is a decent burger compared to, say, McDonald's and Burger King..
In the end it is still a fast food burger.

This thread made me go for lunch (double double - grilled whole onions, mustard, lettuce). In all honesty it seems a bit salty to me. But still pretty darn tasty.

In N Out is our choice, now and forever. The fries are better if you eat them there rather than taking them to go, but I still like them either way. I usually add more salt. I would never describe their fries as "soggy."

The Habit is also a very good, solid choice. And they've got a much more widely varied menu if you're with people who want other things.

I have never heard of Shake Shack, but it seems from other replies that they're not in Orange County.

I do not understand the Five Guys hype. I'm not a fan of their fries, which is a dealbreaker for me because I love fries.

Another option that is a sit down restaurant rather than fast food is Ruby's, which is around OC in different locations, the best probably being on the end of the Huntington Beach pier. I think they have a great burger, and I love their fries and shakes as well. I usually try to visit Ruby's when we are visiting Orange County now that we're no longer local.

We've only been to the Habit once but it was really good. We love In n Out! The burgers are so so good. The fries are literally just potatoes, cut in store (you can see them cutting them), fried, with salt. They're ok. I think my perfect burger meal would be an In n Out burger with 5 Guys fries. :love:

In N Out. Hands down. I’ve had Habit five guys and fuddruckers and IMO they don’t measure up. I do agree with the whole manage your expectations since it is a fast food burger. In N Out has somewhat of a cult following including myself but I’ve never been disappointed by an In N Out burger and I don’t you think you will either.

In N Out, fries well done. Now I have to go tonight after reading this thread! Habit is good but in a different category for us, I don't usually get burgers there though the Santa Barbara on sourdough with sweet potato fries is delicious. I like that they have healthier options while my kids can still get burgers. Fudruckers is good every once in a while for us, but I think most of the appeal is that it was our "special treat" dinner when I was a kid and has good memories associated more than the food being amazing. My kids like adding their own nacho cheese to their burgers.

I just don't get the complaints about the In N Out fries. They're just fried potato, no additives. I love the soft ones, it means I can shove more in my mouth at once. I rarely even add salt, it takes away from the yummy pure potato taste.
YES YES 1000% YES. Again, not only are In n Out's fries my absolute favorite, they're also exactly what is promised out of fries. People complain all the time about all the additives, preservatives and whatever else that goes into McDonalds fries or Burger King fries and that you're not supposed to eat 'em, yet those fries are always the ones that people will enjoy eating. But In n Out, the company that literally shows you the potato that gets cut in house, then straight to the fryer arguably making them some of the best fries health-wise, are the ones thatget the shaft and everyone says are terrible. Not that I particularly care about the health side of things - I mean, they are still fries after all - but still, they taste great on top of being honest fries. People just confuse me. I'll never understand the hate for In n Out fries. I hope I get the chance to go there with someof these people because, man, I would totally eat every In n Out fry that they reject.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!