Burgers?! In N Out, Shake Shack or The Habit?

What's funny is I actually reject the crispy ones. I hate crunchy fries. I leave those for my husband.
I love crispy fries but not such a fan of crunchy fries. Two different things in my book. In & Out fries are crunchy & dry. Not crispy and fluffy (not sure if that’s really the right word).

It's not even close....if you're looking for a true California experience, the ONLY option is In-n-Out. I grew up in Southern California and I hadn't even heard of The Habit until a few years ago and I might be wrong but isn't Shake Shack a New York burger place?! Trust me my man, if you're coming to California and you want to do it right, get yourself a Double-Double burger, fries "Animal Style" (not on the menu but they serve them with grilled onions, secret sauce and cheese) and a strawberry milkshake. Before Anthony Bourdain died (RIP Tony) he said the FIRST thing he does soon as he lands in the state of California is head straight to an In-n-Out! Preach Tony.

Southern California?

Fatburger.

https://fatburger.com/
Fatburger---Product-1-June-2018--1-Original.jpg

I love crispy fries but not such a fan of crunchy fries. Two different things in my book. In & Out fries are crunchy & dry. Not crispy and fluffy (not sure if that’s really the right word).
I think we've had this discussion on the Community Board. The potatoes that In-N-Out uses are good if double-fried. They need to be cooked once, laid out to dry, then cooked again to get a slightly crispy surface with a fluffy inside. The way that In-N-Out does it runs counter how anyone would actually recommend for making fries out of Kennebec potatoes.

Shake Shack is a bit out of the way for me, but I will say that I enjoyed it when I was on the East coast. I've actually not tried The Habit, even though it's local because our go-to's are different. I will say that In-N-Out is a favourite of mine but either you're going for the simple stuff or something that's custom. I took my cousins when they were visiting and half enjoyed it and other half did not.

For me though? #3, no onions, no sauce, protein-style with chilies. Fries, well done, animal style. 🍟

You cant go wrong with either one, while I prefer The Habit Double Char over the In N Out Double, the animal style fries at In N Out are amazing. If you have some extra time I would try Farmer's Boy's hamburger called the Farmer Burger (Award winning). To me they actually have the best burger in So Cal.

In N Out is overrated, but it is a good for a cheap meal. I don’t really understand why it’s a thing, but to each their own. I do like that they use fresh potatoes. Seeing them chop and drop in the fryer is kinda cool

In N Out is good, but my go-to when I go back to LA is Tommy's.
I had two friends that used to live in LA, they would talk about Tommy's all the time, after several years I was finally in LA with one and she took me to the Original Tommy's Hamburger location. So I am totally fine with dive places and the history was pretty cool, but I was not a fan what so ever of that "bean" paste they called chili at all. My friends were not joking when they said the taste stayed with you for awhile. If I try one again, I'll have to skip the bean paste and rejudge them.

But I did really enjoy the history of Tommy's. While eating my burger I had the opportunity to listen to an elder Asian gentleman retelling his story to his son and grandson about his arrival in American and just days later having his first Tommy's burger. I can't retell his story with any justice, but it was heartwarming and made my experience at Tommy's amazing.

I'll stick to In & Out though ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!