Breaking news-Travelers flying from New York to Florida will be placed under 14-day quarantine,

It sounds to me like the Governor is taking this action to encourage the President to take broader domestic travel restrictions.

Regarding Beach homes ( or, in my case being from MN Lake homes), we have people leaving the twin cities and traveling north to the lake country to hide from the virus up there. We have a lake home on Lake Superior and my wife has brought up going up there. I have gotten reports that this is a serious problem with the local grocery stores because they are in off season supply and as such the shelves are empty. I told my wife that I couldn’t see going to the lake as even our “local” friends up there would likely be very unwelcoming (aside from the fact that it is seasonal property that needs snow melt and warmer temps to fire up the water system... :-) ). Additionally, I don’t have WIFI so working remotely is problematic. I also just heard that early fishing has been shut down at Lake of the Woods to discourage us city folk from heading north. And finally, I would prefer to be near the superior hospitals in the metro if we did get sick...

This one has the statement about ones being quarantined would have to pay for their own lodging, medical, etc.
Right. If they come here to vacation -- or escape NY -- they have to pay for their own lodging, medical, meals, transportation, etc. Just like every other visitor ever.

The part that sounds good in a sound-bite that may not be so easy IRL is the lodging part. I don't know if this applies to the whole state, but I think all of our hotels are closed, except for airline crews, first responders, etc.

I have a nonstop flight on Southwest for late April flying from Buffalo to Orlando, and just received an email from Southwest warning me about the governor’s mandate and that I may be impacted by the quarantine requirement. Buffalo is upstate and western New York, a solid 6-7 hour drive from NYC, and is generally not considered part of the “tri-state” area. Has anyone heard confirmation whether the FL governor is including all of New York state in this? His mandate uses the phrase “tri-state area”, but he says “New York” and never refers to New York City specifically.

I got the same notice from SW, and we fly from PHL and live in PA. That said, I booked my daughter's flights on my points, and she lives in Western NY.

I have a nonstop flight on Southwest for late April flying from Buffalo to Orlando, and just received an email from Southwest warning me about the governor’s mandate and that I may be impacted by the quarantine requirement. Buffalo is upstate and western New York, a solid 6-7 hour drive from NYC, and is generally not considered part of the “tri-state” area. Has anyone heard confirmation whether the FL governor is including all of New York state in this? His mandate uses the phrase “tri-state area”, but he says “New York” and never refers to New York City specifically.
It looks like it applies to the entire states of NY, CT, and NJ:

The traveler doesn't have to self-isolate for 14 days, just the period they are in Florida if they're staying less than 14 days.

I know what the Governor is trying to accomplish, but this leaves SO many questions. I'd expect it to be challenged in court.

Last edited:
Because a lot of people who live in the north have second residences in Florida, especially retirees, many of whom are in high risk groups. They're probably going to Florida because it's lower risk than where they are.
It sounds to me like the Governor is taking this action to encourage the President to take broader domestic travel restrictions.

Regarding Beach homes ( or, in my case being from MN Lake homes), we have people leaving the twin cities and traveling north to the lake country to hide from the virus up there. We have a lake home on Lake Superior and my wife has brought up going up there. I have gotten reports that this is a serious problem with the local grocery stores because they are in off season supply and as such the shelves are empty. I told my wife that I couldn’t see going to the lake as even our “local” friends up there would likely be very unwelcoming (aside from the fact that it is seasonal property that needs snow melt and warmer temps to fire up the water system... :-) ). Additionally, I don’t have WIFI so working remotely is problematic. I also just heard that early fishing has been shut down at Lake of the Woods to discourage us city folk from heading north. And finally, I would prefer to be near the superior hospitals in the metro if we did get sick...

I live at the Jersey Shore many NYC and Philly families have second homes here. They started coming last week and many more each day. Grocery stores are completely empty. Our hospital isn't staffed or stocked for summer population increases.

The county has 5 confirmed cases Covid19 and at least 2 are NY residents.

I live at the Jersey Shore many NYC and Philly families have second homes here. They started coming last week and many more each day. Grocery stores are completely empty. Our hospital isn't staffed or stocked for summer population increases.

The county has 5 confirmed cases Covid19 and at least 2 are NY residents.

The Governor of NJ said they should not be going to there beach homes for this exact reason!

I understand the ban, but its a bit silly in that people should not be traveling unless absolutely necessary. In addition its a band aid so he looks like he is doing something about this, when the state is about to have a high number of cases IMO, now he will look like he did something. But since it can take 14 days to show signs what is he doing about the people who have been there for the last 2 weeks?

I understand the ban, but its a bit silly in that people should not be traveling unless absolutely necessary. In addition its a band aid so he looks like he is doing something about this, when the state is about to have a high number of cases IMO, now he will look like he did something. But since it can take 14 days to show signs what is he doing about the people who have been there for the last 2 weeks?
Don't look at the one tiny piece of the puzzle that affects you and think that's all there is. Florida has done a ton of things to face this crisis, and if anything we are ahead of most states.

Plus you think it's a great idea to keep people from fleeing to the Jersey Shore, but not OK for Florida to try to keep people from fleeing here. :confused3

I'm just gonna say it, because this is already implicit in a lot of posts here: Whatever you do, please don't start blaming and/or demonizing New York and New Yorkers. It's not like we purposefully got sick or are intent on infecting other people. The situation here in NYC is dire. Some people are doing all they can and others are ignoring health guidelines. Healthcare workers here in the city are being asked to do the impossible--and they're doing it and risking their own lives in the process.

Believe me, there's no way on earth I'd get on an airplane and go anywhere right now, much less to Florida.

And for you Floridians who're convinced that everything is a-okay there, I hope you're right. I don't want to see anyone get sick. But check out the rest of the world and what happened here in NY. Even if things seem fine now, that's no guarantee they'll be fine a week from now. Many many asymptomatic people are contagious and they and people near them have no way of knowing they're infected.

Don't look at the one tiny piece of the puzzle that affects you and think that's all there is. Florida has done a ton of things to face this crisis, and if anything we are ahead of most states.

Plus you think it's a great idea to keep people from fleeing to the Jersey Shore, but not OK for Florida to try to keep people from fleeing here. :confused3
I am not saying he shouldn’t do the ban. I’m saying it should have been done weeks ago, before spring break. And that at this point there are already cases in Florida and there will be more and banning one area from visiting isn’t going to stop that.

I’m not going to Florida any time soon even if most of my family lives there. I’ve been following the state, this isn’t going to help much since there are already case in Florida and more coming.

This is of course my opinion only.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna say it, because this is already implicit in a lot of posts here: Whatever you do, please don't start blaming and/or demonizing New York and New Yorkers. It's not like we purposefully got sick or are intent on infecting other people. The situation here in NYC is dire. Some people are doing all they can and others are ignoring health guidelines. Healthcare workers here in the city are being asked to do the impossible--and they're doing it and risking their own lives in the process.

Believe me, there's no way on earth I'd get on an airplane and go anywhere right now, much less to Florida.

And for you Floridians who're convinced that everything is a-okay there, I hope you're right. I don't want to see anyone get sick. But check out the rest of the world and what happened here in NY. Even if things seem fine now, that's no guarantee they'll be fine a week from now. Many many asymptomatic people are contagious and they and people near them have no way of knowing they're infected.
Agree, and nobody's demonizing anyone -- and certainly NY is not the only place with a major outbreak.

I don't think anyone wants people from any highly-affected area going anywhere. For example, the Florida Keys had zero cases as of yesterday, but they have shut down US 1, which is the only road into the Keys. Most Floridians are staying at home and trying out ways to relieve the boredom...with not much success.

Our county (Miami-Dade) has the most cases in Florida and our restrictions are getting more and more strict each day. We have 25% of the Florida cases (367/1467), but so far only 40 hospitalizations and no deaths. We're testing like crazy, and I'm sure we're just getting started in this.

Last edited:
Agree, and nobody's demonizing anyone -- and certainly NY is not the only place with a major outbreak.

I don't think anyone wants people from any highly-affected area going anywhere. For example, the Florida Keys had zero cases as of yesterday, but they have shut down US 1, which is the only road into the Keys. Most Floridians are staying at home and trying out ways to relieve the boredom...with not much success.

Our county (Miami-Dade) has the most cases in Florida and our restrictions are getting more and more strict each day. We have 25% of the Florida cases (367/1467), but so far only 40 hospitalizations and no deaths. We're testing like crazy, and I'm sure we're just getting started in this.

I think it's a natural reaction to, if you have the option, flee a lock down community to another location. But, it also goes against what I think the core objective is; the attempt to mitigate the progression. If I invert the situation, then I think it would be reasonable to look at Floridians as being selfish and/or little regard for the mandate(s).

Yesterday Rhode Island instituted the same rule, anyone flying into the airport has to self quarantine for 14 days. National Guard is there taking your name, address and phone number and supposedly they will follow up to be sure it is being obeyed.
Denise

Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket have asked that people don't come over to the islands. They have a very small hospital and very limited resources. Plus their are only 2 ways off (in case of severe medical emergency) ferry or plane. These are also "summer" type of communities. Please everyone JUST STAY HOME.

What good is it having us in Florida abide by the guidelines, only to have an influx from areas that are under a lockdown?
That's exactly what's happening here in my city in PA, two hours outside of NYC.
How many people are flying from NY to FL right now, like six?
Lots of people have left. This is a NY Times article from 11 days ago:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/nyregion/Coronavirus-nyc-rich-wealthy-residents.html

Because a lot of people who live in the north have second residences in Florida, especially retirees, many of whom are in high risk groups. They're probably going to Florida because it's lower risk than where they are.
Exactly. We have a large elderly population here, who are very much at risk. And we have lots of snow birds too.
This does make sense - that they are trying to decrease THEIR risk - but since they're coming from an epicenter, they're INCREASING the risk of exposure/infection to every...single...person they come in contact with. Pretty selfish.
Yep, and it's proving itself in my city, two hours from NYC.
And they keep mentioning people "fleeing" the area which I'm not seeing.
From the article I posted above:
The Rich Have a Coronavirus Cure: Escape From New York
"
Broad-scale emergencies never fail to reveal the fault lines in the American class system, and it was suddenly clear that well-off New Yorkers were going to go about the business of combating the coronavirus differently, with more than fortitude and Purell, because they had a powerful inoculant: secondary real estate. As the messages flew around, the people with weekend homes — on Long Island, in Connecticut, on Cape Cod — made plans to flee to them, indefinitely.

Outside a prewar co-op on lower Fifth Avenue on Friday morning, well-dressed people were loading cats and canvas bags into their hatchbacks. “The building is empty,’’ one woman entering with her dog explained. “Everyone’s gone to the Hamptons.” "

I'm just gonna say it, because this is already implicit in a lot of posts here: Whatever you do, please don't start blaming and/or demonizing New York and New Yorkers. It's not like we purposefully got sick or are intent on infecting other people. The situation here in NYC is dire.

No one is demonizing NY-ers or NJ people on the thread so far. We're all stating facts.

I have family all over this area who are directly impacted by the virus, including cousins in Queens and Hoboken. Many of our residents travel to NYC daily for work, we have transportation vans and buses that are continuing to travel between these two areas and it has been proven that some of our cases in my city are from people coming from NYC or NJ. One from Philly, where I also have family.

Our mayor and state representative are actively trying to stop these transportation vehicles because of the spread in my city. This is not demonizing or blaming; the companies themselves will not stop out of moral obligation or personal responsibility to help prevent or control the spread. They are making money so they won't stop. I imagine the Governor of Florida is trying to do the same to help control the spread and flatten the curve. These officials have to do something when residents are pleading with them to help, because not everyone is taking their personal responsibility to stop or follow social distancing guidelines. Some simply don't care, or don't see the threat. That is selfish, regardless of where they come from.

We have thousands of people in my city with relatives in the NYC, NY and NJ areas who are bringing their ENTIRE families here. All crammed into one small house or apartment. (which also violates housing codes) These people are not quarantined when they arrive, they are going out to grocery stores, they are infecting their own families, who are in turn spreading it to businesses where they work. We desperately need help as our cases grow. We have ONE hospital in my city which will quickly become overwhelmed as our cases grow. This is not demonizing, profiling, blaming... these are the facts that we are actively trying to deal with here as more and people are getting it and spreading it. The continued transportation into the city needs to stop while they try to get control of what's happening here.

Some people are doing all they can and others are ignoring health guidelines.
This is exactly why we need enforcement of social distancing. Some people just don't care. Cuomo took video of himself driving around NYC and all the people out, acting normally. They are the ones who are not taking it seriously. We took a ride in our town yesterday and people were out playing basketball (one guy had a mask on, which won't help if hes touching the ball) and they are also the ones not taking it seriously. There were so many people out yesterday, walking around, visiting family, going to parks. Our State Police issued 27 warnings yesterday alone to businesses that are continuing to operate when they were supposed to close. Location doesn't matter, facts are what matter and the fact is not everyone is doing their part in helping to control this.

I think it's a natural reaction to, if you have the option, flee a lock down community to another location. But, it also goes against what I think the core objective is; the attempt to mitigate the progression.
I can't say that I haven't thought of the same... try to find a safe place to go like our relative's home in another state out west. But it's safer to stay put, put into practice what they are telling us with regard to social distancing, etc. When my husband and daughter come home from work, (they work for "essential" businesses that can remain open) they enter the house from another door to our basement, shower down there and throw their clothes in the washer before they come upstairs. They also wear gloves and sometimes masks, depending on where they are.

My heart goes out to everyone dealing with this. And as Cuomo said our areas here, especially NYC are just the beginning of the wave in the US. That's also not demonizing or blaming. I know you and other NY-ers are in an immediate desperate situation and I'm sorry. Other areas, like mine are trying to prevent the same from happening here, and some of our cases here are directly related to those coming from NYC area. It's not blame, it's just a fact that we have to live with here.

Thanks for this. If other localities started testing to the extent we are here, a lot of folk would be shocked to see just how many cases there really are. Especially Florida.

Just the other day on here in another thread I was arguing with someone who decidedly wasn’t a New Yorker saying that if he was here he would flee. Selfishness and shortsightedness are not somehow inherent to NYers. We definitely have our share of entitled idiots. But many of us are trying to do the right thing. Many of us don’t have fancy second homes to go to anyway. Daily I’m listening to the struggles of everyday people just trying to survive this, at work—I’m essential. I’m doing my part on the frontlines to help, though today I had to make the choice to isolate at home to protect myself and my vulnerable mother.

We’ve survived blackouts, riots, corruption, and terrorism, though. We’re resilient as hell, and I have no doubt we’ll get through this.

@kylenne you're in the thick of it.. ((hugs))
If other localities started testing to the extent we are here, a lot of folk would be shocked to see just how many cases there really are.
I agree. My nephew's friend came home from VT a little more than a week ago and developed a high fever, cough, chills and body aches and has tried three times to get a test here with no luck. They are still testing the most severe cases or ones who have been to the tri state area or Philly. She's sure she got this in VT and they reportedly don't have many cases. They may want to rethink that.
Just the other day on here in another thread I was arguing with someone who decidedly wasn’t a New Yorker saying that if he was here he would flee. Selfishness and shortsightedness are not somehow inherent to NYers. We definitely have our share of entitled idiots.
I remember that, that person and I went back and forth about it too. We're not in NY and have plenty of selfishness and shortsightedness here too. There are actually bars here opening to regulars on the down low! Like a 20's speakeasy. Sigh.....

Sorry if I missed it, but does the mandate have an end date on it or is this being required indefinitely for flights arriving from these states? I thought I saw a June 1st end date somewhere, but can't find it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter