Breaking news-Travelers flying from New York to Florida will be placed under 14-day quarantine,

There's still ways around this (please don't try this at home).

1) Fly into South Georgia (probably Savannah) and drive into Florida.
2) Fly into Atlanta on one airline. Stay a day in Atlanta, then fly into Florida the next day.
3) Fly out of Philadelphia (or Boston, or Providence...or Pittsburgh or Cleveland if you live in Buffalo).

Of course! My original comment was that it is too bad that people might work hard to get around the rules, not that they can’t or wont

I just saw on the local news (Boston channel) that TF Green aka PVD airport is requesting that anyone flying into that airport self quarantine for 14 days. Logan aka BOS hasn't been mentioned. Please, please, please everyone stay put. For your sake ,your loved ones and those you may not even know.

Thanks for this. If other localities started testing to the extent we are here, a lot of folk would be shocked to see just how many cases there really are. Especially Florida.

Just the other day on here in another thread I was arguing with someone who decidedly wasn’t a New Yorker saying that if he was here he would flee. Selfishness and shortsightedness are not somehow inherent to NYers. We definitely have our share of entitled idiots. But many of us are trying to do the right thing. Many of us don’t have fancy second homes to go to anyway. Daily I’m listening to the struggles of everyday people just trying to survive this, at work—I’m essential. I’m doing my part on the frontlines to help, though today I had to make the choice to isolate at home to protect myself and my vulnerable mother.

We’ve survived blackouts, riots, corruption, and terrorism, though. We’re resilient as hell, and I have no doubt we’ll get through this.
Don't engage the trolls. Some people really dig upsetting others and my guess is they are super bored right now and looking to entertain themselves.

There's still ways around this (please don't try this at home).

1) Fly into South Georgia (probably Savannah) and drive into Florida.
2) Fly into Atlanta on one airline. Stay a day in Atlanta, then fly into Florida the next day.
3) Fly out of Philadelphia (or Boston, or Providence...or Pittsburgh or Cleveland if you live in Buffalo).

We use Philly and Trenton the majority of the time we fly to Florida. Ironically they are only 30 minutes away from each other and Trenton is in a rural area and is a tiny airport with far fewer flights as it's only one airline, but I assume being NJ Trenton will be quarantined but not Philly.

I have a nonstop flight on Southwest for late April flying from Buffalo to Orlando, and just received an email from Southwest warning me about the governor’s mandate and that I may be impacted by the quarantine requirement. Buffalo is upstate and western New York, a solid 6-7 hour drive from NYC, and is generally not considered part of the “tri-state” area. Has anyone heard confirmation whether the FL governor is including all of New York state in this? His mandate uses the phrase “tri-state area”, but he says “New York” and never refers to New York City specifically.

Interesting. We have Frontier tickets booked next weekend from Orlando to NJ then back and in April the opposite direction and we haven't received anything yet. I was hoping our tiny little airport would be excluded since it's not in the NYC area exactly and would seem safer to travel through being as there is never more than 1-2 flights at a time.

Interesting. We have Frontier tickets booked next weekend from Orlando to NJ then back and in April the opposite direction and we haven't received anything yet. I was hoping our tiny little airport would be excluded since it's not in the NYC area exactly and would seem safer to travel through being as there is never more than 1-2 flights at a time.
Its my understanding the mandate applies to ALL airports in the states of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. Even though there are many not even close to NYC (i.e. Buffalo!). I actually contacted the local news in Buffalo to confirm if this was the case, and they did confirm it and reported about it on our local news. The email I got from Southwest was alerting me of the mandate and giving me the opportunity change my flights at no additional cost - no change fee and no paying the difference in fare. If Frontier isn't offering their customers something like this, then there would be no reason to email you about it. Technically, you can still fly there, but you'd be required to self-quarantine for 14 days while there.

We have three cruise ships with quarantined coronavirus patients on board -- two docking today at Port Miami and one already at Port Everglades in Ft. Lauderdale. All three ships have been denied docking in other parts of the world for quite some time, but somehow have now come to Florida.

These cruise ships have the capacity to house thousands of passengers and crew each. Coincidence, or perfect match?

Hmmm...I wonder...:stir:

JetBlue hasn't contacted me about this yet. Just another data point.
I'm not sure an email is to be expected. I believe most (all?) are allowing people to make changes without change fees. Southwest was just alerting me so I could change accordingly if I wanted to, so really just a courtesy email. Technically, this mandate doesn't impact flights so I don't think the onus would be on the airlines to make people aware of it or offer anything additional for it.

I'm not sure an email is to be expected. I believe most (all?) are allowing people to make changes without change fees. Southwest was just alerting me so I could change accordingly if I wanted to, so really just a courtesy email. Technically, this mandate doesn't impact flights so I don't think the onus would be on the airlines to make people aware of it or offer anything additional for it.
Ah. Thank you. I already know I can change/cancel my outbound flight without penalty but my inbound flight isn't covered in JetBlue's current info (that I'm aware of anyway) so I've been waiting for WDW to announce firm dates so I'd have leverage when I call JetBlue. Because if I can't go on this trip at all because the resort and parks are closed then obvy I also won't need the return flight.

Its my understanding the mandate applies to ALL airports in the states of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. Even though there are many not even close to NYC (i.e. Buffalo!). I actually contacted the local news in Buffalo to confirm if this was the case, and they did confirm it and reported about it on our local news. The email I got from Southwest was alerting me of the mandate and giving me the opportunity change my flights at no additional cost - no change fee and no paying the difference in fare. If Frontier isn't offering their customers something like this, then there would be no reason to email you about it. Technically, you can still fly there, but you'd be required to self-quarantine for 14 days while there.

From what I gather Frontier already had that option for all domestic flights starting around March 20th so that may be why they haven't sent a new one. Not sure. It would be interesting to have people unknowingly show up and be told they had to quarantine for 14 days without any heads up. Although I'm sure the airports likely have the info posted.

We have three cruise ships with quarantined coronavirus patients on board -- two docking today at Port Miami and one already at Port Everglades in Ft. Lauderdale. All three ships have been denied docking in other parts of the world for quite some time, but somehow have now come to Florida.

These cruise ships have the capacity to house thousands of passengers and crew each. Coincidence, or perfect match?

Hmmm...I wonder...:stir:
Aren't those two cruise terminals huge? They may have the guests shelter in place for the 14 days there and transfer the really sick to hospitals.

From what I gather Frontier already had that option for all domestic flights starting around March 20th so that may be why they haven't sent a new one. Not sure. It would be interesting to have people unknowingly show up and be told they had to quarantine for 14 days without any heads up. Although I'm sure the airports likely have the info posted.
I mentioned up-thread that I would not be surprised if the airlines don't feel the onus is on them to alert travelers of the mandate. It would be in their best interest to from a customer service perspective, but they are still able to fulfill their obligation of flying you to Florida. What happens to you after that is out of their hands.

Aren't those two cruise terminals huge? They may have the guests shelter in place for the 14 days there and transfer the really sick to hospitals.
Port Everglades isn't that big. Miami has probably 10 terminals, but they're not really that practical for temporary housing.

I was talking about using those three cruise ships themselves as isolation venues for folks who ignore all the advice/requests for people not to travel. Thousands of private rooms, large kitchens and dining areas...what's not to like?

Why doesn't Florida just ban flights from everywhere? That way they'd be sure to not let anyone into the state--anyone who took a plane, anyway--that might possibly bring the coronavirus with them.
I don’t know if he can ban flights from just one area, and as others have mentioned, people will just go to another airport. They need to check the ID of every passenger of every flight to make this mandatory quarantine have the smallest chance of working. That may or may not happen - I am not privy to the intricate details of how this will be accomplished.

I would like to see the airports closed completely. If they can do it for hurricanes they should be able to do it for a pandemic. I know it’s not possible to close the roads because of trucks needing to get through with food and other necessities, but if there was a way, I would be for it. In an ideal scenario, every person in the country should be sheltering in place, with supplies so grocery stores can be closed as well. The only people who should be working are medical and first responders, for three weeks. That hopefully brings the community spread to a halt (especially if the few people who must work shelter in place at work). Not just NY, not just FL, but everyone, everywhere. Without the ability to test everyone, a firm nationwide quarantine is our only shot, and it gets more difficult each day we go without one. I do not have high hopes at this point.

I don’t blame anyone for wanting to escape a sea of contagion, wherever they live. I just don’t want a sea of contagion in my neighborhood because of it.

I would like to see the airports closed completely. If they can do it for hurricanes they should be able to do it for a pandemic.
Airports close during hurricanes because there are no flights coming in. Before winds reach tropical storm strength, the airlines get their aircraft and crews out of the way and stop flying in because of the danger. No flights, no need to have employees at risk to do nothing. Hurricanes are a totally different situation.
I don’t blame anyone for wanting to escape a sea of contagion, wherever they live. I just don’t want a sea of contagion in my neighborhood because of it.
I try not to be judgmental about situations like this, but these are times when everyone needs to think about something other than ME, ME, ME.

I don't care about inconveniencing people who are willing to put my family at risk by ignoring all medical, scientific, and governmental advice.

I don’t know if he can ban flights from just one area, and as others have mentioned, people will just go to another airport. They need to check the ID of every passenger of every flight to make this mandatory quarantine have the smallest chance of working. That may or may not happen - I am not privy to the intricate details of how this will be accomplished.

I would like to see the airports closed completely. If they can do it for hurricanes they should be able to do it for a pandemic. I know it’s not possible to close the roads because of trucks needing to get through with food and other necessities, but if there was a way, I would be for it. In an ideal scenario, every person in the country should be sheltering in place, with supplies so grocery stores can be closed as well. The only people who should be working are medical and first responders, for three weeks. That hopefully brings the community spread to a halt (especially if the few people who must work shelter in place at work). Not just NY, not just FL, but everyone, everywhere. Without the ability to test everyone, a firm nationwide quarantine is our only shot, and it gets more difficult each day we go without one. I do not have high hopes at this point.

The problem is people on medication need to get there medication and I asked they will not give extra

I said it before and i will say it again. This ban is silly, mostly because people should ALL be staying home! There are next to no reasons to be traveling right now. My family is all in Florida, they live there. In some ways i would rather be there, but where am i? in NJ in my home.

I understand the ban, but i don't think it is going to help much. The cases are going to continue to go up for now, we wont see any real results for social distancing for at least another few days, and that in place that started this 2 weeks ago, we have been mostly home for 14 days. My area started 2 weeks ago, so hopefully in the next week we will see some results. However with more test coming i dont think we will actually see a drop.

I know at least 3 people who were told we are 95% sure you have COVID-19 but since you are not at risk and don't need to be hospitalized we aren't testing you.... So if they start testing everyone, expect cases to go up, death rate and hospitalization rate to go down. Again just my opinion.

Either way STAY HOME do not travel right now, if you are from NY or any where else, do not travel to Florida or anywhere else!

I just saw on the local news (Boston channel) that TF Green aka PVD airport is requesting that anyone flying into that airport self quarantine for 14 days. Logan aka BOS hasn't been mentioned. Please, please, please everyone stay put. For your sake ,your loved ones and those you may not even know.
Yes i posted this on page 3, post 55.
Denise

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!