Breaking news-Travelers flying from New York to Florida will be placed under 14-day quarantine,

Honestly I think any flights if any left should be to get the passenger home and my personal opinion is I would not want to be out of town even if I did have family unless it was a emergency

That actually doesn't make sense as asymptomatic people are still contagious and there's no way of checking them to find out if they're infected.

Anyway, nearly all domestic US flights might be shut down soon, so this could be moot.

I didn’t hear about a shut down but I did speak directly with jetblue employee who said that the fed asked them to reduce All their domestic flights by 40 percent thru .. I think June??
Regardless, I just don’t get why anyone wants/needs to be flying anywhere right now. It’s bigger than personal need right now.

Please, please stay home.. let’s allow this to
Dwindle and save people from getting ill and/or Die.

I think it's a good move, but how are you going to monitor vehicle traffic into Florida? Governor DeSantis makes a valid point that it is likely at least 1 passenger on those direct flights has the virus.

What good is it having us in Florida abide by the guidelines, only to have an influx from areas that are under a lockdown?

I don't think his statistics are actually all that accurate. Given how many millions of people are in the tri state area the infection rate isn't that high. And if anything the fact we are on "lockdown" and have been for longer than those in Florida there is likely less a chance we are bringing anything unless we pick it up at the airport.

I'm sure travel is going to get more restricted it just seems like focusing on just NY/NJ/PA flights to Florida only is a strange way to go about things.

Why are people coming here right now any way? Why aren't they staying put in their own home in their own state, especially since those specified have "stay home" orders? It's mystifying that folks are still coming here despite all our Governor's efforts to minimize the appeal - everything's closed, please stay home in your own state for now & minimize the infection spread!

Because a lot of people who live in the north have second residences in Florida, especially retirees, many of whom are in high risk groups. They're probably going to Florida because it's lower risk than where they are.

Because a lot of people who live in the north have second residences in Florida, especially retirees, many of whom are in high risk groups. They're probably going to Florida because it's lower risk than where they are.
This does make sense - that they are trying to decrease THEIR risk - but since they're coming from an epicenter, they're INCREASING the risk of exposure/infection to every...single...person they come in contact with. Pretty selfish.

This does make sense - that they are trying to decrease THEIR risk - but since they're coming from an epicenter, they're INCREASING the risk of exposure/infection to every...single...person they come in contact with. Pretty selfish.

Yes. Hopefully, they adhere to the 14 day quarantine.

One of the latest articles I read indicated it was only for airports in "southern" Florida. I couldn't find an actual list though so I have no idea what that means. And they keep mentioning people "fleeing" the area which I'm not seeing. But what does this mean for Floridians returning home?

How many people are flying from NY to FL right now, like six?
A LOT, for two reasons. One, it's the peak of our tourist season. Two, they're fleeing NY because of covid-19.

As I've said several times, I think people are making more of this particular action than it merits. I think they are just going to be checking people getting off flights. No big deal.

If they don't adhere to the quarantine, they not only will get fined but also arrested. They will have to pay for their own lodging, food and medical.
Do you have a link to support that statement? I haven't seen that anywhere.

FL AG was just on Cavuto saying arriving folks will be forced to self quarantine but couldnt seem to elaborate on how exactly.

I did a quick check on MIA arrivals today from 3 PM - Midnight from LGA, JFK, and EWR only. There were 29 scheduled non-stop flights, about half of which were canceled.

That's only from those three airports -- there are several other pretty busy airports in the general NYC area. There are also two other pretty busy airports in South Florida -- FLL and PBI..

So even with reduced flight schedules, we get quite a few flights from the NYC area.

soon we’ll be required to quarter government troops. Bill of Rights has been completely shot to you know what.

We are seeing the same issue in Maine where summer residents are common. My town has a year round population of about 10,000, which increases to around 50,000 in the summer. This weekend looked like a summer weekend with all the out of state people going to the beach. Not only does this increase the risk of spread, but it could put a large strain on our resources that are all still in "winter mode".

Right about now, the snowbirds are usually planning their trips back north. My inlaws are planning on 1 flying and the other driving. They also are pushing my husband to fly down to drive back with the one that is and always has refused to fly. They don't own a place in FL they rented a condo. I made a few suggestions for them. 1. Talk to the landlord about extending the stay 2. Stay with the grandson who lives in the next town over. Nephew/grandson has a 4 bed 2 bath place. He has a wife and 2 kids. Both of these ideas are just until it's safe again.

We are seeing the same issue in Maine where summer residents are common. My town has a year round population of about 10,000, which increases to around 50,000 in the summer. This weekend looked like a summer weekend with all the out of state people going to the beach. Not only does this increase the risk of spread, but it could put a large strain on our resources that are all still in "winter mode".

I hadn't thought about that. I guess it's just right in between seasons for the snow birds to head south late, and the summer people to head north early. I guess I can't blame people for wanting to escape areas that are hard hit, but I feel for all the people they're putting at risk doing so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter