• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

(Boston update in latest post) Who will get a Soccer Specific Stadium (SSS) first, Boston or NYC (confirmed)?

Who will get a Soccer Specific Stadium (SSS) first, Boston or NYC?

• Boston

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • NYC

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Both around the same time

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I don't know

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I don't care

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I just want to know if my taxes will go up due to either project

• It does not effect me either way

• Total voters
Here's a little review of the 2021 NYCFC season thru the New England game as told by the subtitled laughing guy video meme:

I wonder if we will ever get a proper club anthem eventually? This song from tonight’s Ordinary Joe episode might be a good candidate.

It's subtle, but this letter is not a pure expression of stadium support with an offer to assist in getting it done. The 162st Street BID is angling for local community groups, like itself, to become partners, i.e. part owners, of the project and stadium, presumably without contributing capital.

Also the claim that there has been no progress or communication for 8 years is absolutely false. Things stalled shortly after the pandemic hit, for multiple reasons both related to Covid and otherwise. Before that the team and its partners made multiple presentations to local groups and the Community Board (an appointed quasi governmental advisory entity). I don't know if the 161st Street BID was involved in those meetings or not, but it is inconceivable it was unaware of these meetings and it would be charitable to describe the statements in this letter as disingenuous.

It's subtle, but this letter is not a pure expression of stadium support with an offer to assist in getting it done. The 162st Street BID is angling for local community groups, like itself, to become partners, i.e. part owners, of the project and stadium, presumably without contributing capital.

Also the claim that there has been no progress or communication for 8 years is absolutely false. Things stalled shortly after the pandemic hit, for multiple reasons both related to Covid and otherwise. Before that the team and its partners made multiple presentations to local groups and the Community Board (an appointed quasi governmental advisory entity). I don't know if the 161st Street BID was involved in those meetings or not, but it is inconceivable it was unaware of these meetings and it would be charitable to describe the statements in this letter as disingenuous.
Chris Campbell will probably be one of the first in the city to know when we are getting a stadium. I still think CFG is closer to getting a stadium before the Krafts.

Well... yes and no. I wish them well, but I don't really "follow" them closely anymore.

Back when they first started they played in Ohio Stadium at Ohio State, tickets were cheap, and we went to ALL the games. When they moved to the new stadium, we went to the inaugural game, had a great time, but had a TERRIBLE experience while leaving. (Traffic was routed through a neighborhood and the residents were NOT happy. They were screaming, throwing things, rocking cars that were stuck in a traffic jam, etc. I was terrified. We've never been back to the stadium. I have friends who go and say they've never experienced anything like that, so I'm not sure if they changed the traffic pattern or if the residents just got used to it.) Also, kids came along and our ability to drop everything and spend the evening at a game grew limited. I'd watch them on TV if I saw the game on, but I don't know the players like I did back then, etc.

My cousin bought season tickets to the Crew for this year and asked if I'd go with her to some of the games -- and I was really looking forward to that, but... alas COVID-19. She's hoping to get tickets next year in the new stadium as well, so hopefully I'll get another invitation.
Are looking forward to the team’s performance this year?

Griffith and Sanchez are both non-journalist fans who have some connections who occasionally leak to them. There's a track record going back years and it's mixed in terms of accuracy. You shouldn't dismiss their info, but I wouldn't rely too heavily either. That both Sanchez and Griffith have the same Icahn leak tells me there is probably something to it. But for for all we know the club is deliberately leaking to see how the fanbase reacts to news of a potential switch from RBA to Icahn, because despite being a literal stone's throw away from Manhattan, the Bronx and Queens, Randalls Island(where Icahn Stadium is located) is a PITA to get to from anywhere. It's not really more convenient than RBA for NYC fans. It's just not in NJ and it has no taint from being the home of NYCFC's rival.

I'm skeptical of the idea that the Red Bulls are refusing to let NYCFC keep using RBA, both because they don't own it (the City of Harrison NJ does) and I also suspect the Red Bulls have to do what the league demands on such matters. ButI can believe NYCFC is desperate to avoid continuing to play at RBA.

Now, Griffith's prediction of a real stadium announcement by year end is a completely different matter. He's not claiming he has a source predicting that. He's just making a smoke means fire prediction, and there have been a lot of those over the last 7 years. The real news there is another Chris Campbell report at the Outfield about a Hudson River Yards site about 1.5 miles from Yankee Stadium:

https://theoutfield.substack.com/p/the-bronx-comeback

I absolutely would not be surprised to get a HRY announcement by year end, but I'm also not predicting it.

Last edited:
Interesting.

It would be nice to have, but I would prefer to know exactly which environmental regulations they're bypassing, and what they're doing to mitigate any damage.
I'd like to know, as well. And living about 3 miles from the site, I'm not exactly thrilled with yet one more thing to make a mess of traffic. The only thing that's really prevented Encore from making a complete mess of things so far is the pandemic (every cloud has a silver lining)...and I'd take anything DeMaria says with a grain of salt. He's not exactly always on the up and up. And I think they're really overestimating just how popular it really would be. If the team playing were Brazil or Argentina, yeah, it would really attract from the neighborhood. Otherwise, not so much. There may be people in the area who really like the sport, but it's their country of origin they cheer for. Trust me, I know every time World Cup rolls around and I can here the neighbors yelling and cheering in my house.

I'd like to know, as well. And living about 3 miles from the site, I'm not exactly thrilled with yet one more thing to make a mess of traffic. The only thing that's really prevented Encore from making a complete mess of things so far is the pandemic (every cloud has a silver lining)...and I'd take anything DeMaria says with a grain of salt. He's not exactly always on the up and up. And I think they're really overestimating just how popular it really would be. If the team playing were Brazil or Argentina, yeah, it would really attract from the neighborhood. Otherwise, not so much. There may be people in the area who really like the sport, but it's their country of origin they cheer for. Trust me, I know every time World Cup rolls around and I can here the neighbors yelling and cheering in my house.
The USA fan base is bigger than both the Argentina and Brazil fan base. If the stadium is built, the USMNT and USWNT teams would be regular guests for games. SSS bring more than just one sport. Rugby and lacrosse are often held at SSS. That would bring even more revenue into the area. Getting closer to Boston is as much as a priority to MLS as getting a Bronx stadium built in NYC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter