Boorish behavior

But then everyone would arrive at the very last minute like they do for movies where you pre-purchase an actual seat...

I hadn't really seen any behavior terrible enough to note when this thread was first posted. Then we went on the Wonder in June. An older toddler (2-ish) was having a tantrum in Cabanas at breakfast. He was standing in his high chair, wailing and flailing, and the parents just kept eating and chatting. A nervous server came over, clearly worried he was going to topple over. She tried to get him to sit back down, as nice as could be. Instead the mom invited him to come sit on her lap. She was across the table from him. To the server's (and my!) absolute horror, the parents had him WALK ACROSS THE TABLE. It was full of plates of food and drinks. And yes, he was wearing shoes. I've never seen anything like it. He just walked 4 or 5 steps on the table to them, knocking into plates as he went. So very many things wrong with that scenario, can't begin to understand why the parents encouraged that.

Imagine if they assigned seats and your tickets for next evenings's show were placed on your bed next to the navigator. Seat saving issues gone!
I sincerely hope not. How does the person/computer doing the assigning know where I want to sit? Maybe they'll give someone who always comes late a center of the row seat, necessitating climbing over others.

It's called a shared experience. You don't need to talk to each other to share an experience. It's just not the same to compare notes afterward. Not to mention all the chatter before the show starts. Numerous times my wife and I catch each other watching one of our kids react to the show. We all, collectively, enjoy live theater and our kids are performers, so we sometimes see things in the show and exchange glances. I mean, countless reasons why sitting together is a much different.

I would say if the shared experience is really, REALLY, really important to you and everyone else that wants to share the experience, then you can ALLLLLL wait in line and share the experience from start to end. Otherwise, NO SEAT SAVING! Don't mind me, I'll be the guy that walks into the theater and finds an available empty seat. I'm really not that interested in why it's empty or who it is that supposedly may or may not be coming to claim the seat. Seriously, if you want to see a show then get your group together and see the show. If some of them get busy doing other things then fine, that's their priority not mine. It's the same people that think it's ok to be late for everything, why should I respect that?

You are completely wrong to judge. How do you know they are not getting therapy, talked about this cruise and were advised how to handle things for this vacation? Various autism disorders present in very different ways for each person. Just stop judging people. Move on with your life.

Last edited:

Imagine if they assigned seats and your tickets for next evenings's show were placed on your bed next to the navigator. Seat saving issues gone!

I could be wrong, but I do not think there are actually enough seats to accommodate all passengers if the ship is sailing full. When would you choose your seats? What if only some people in the stateroom want to see the show? What if I would like to see a show twice? I prefer an aisle seat, and would be unhappy is given one right in the center, which many people would probably prefer. Would platinum CC members get preference for seats? Concierge? Are the ticketed seats held until after the show starts?

I appreciate that sometimes there are seat issues, but I am not sure tickets would help.

I could be wrong, but I do not think there are actually enough seats to accommodate all passengers if the ship is sailing full. When would you choose your seats? What if only some people in the stateroom want to see the show? What if I would like to see a show twice? I prefer an aisle seat, and would be unhappy is given one right in the center, which many people would probably prefer. Would platinum CC members get preference for seats? Concierge? Are the ticketed seats held until after the show starts?

I appreciate that sometimes there are seat issues, but I am not sure tickets would help.

This is what I was thinking. I am pretty sure there isn't enough seats to accommodate everyone, even with early/late seating. There is an assumption that some people won't go to the show because they've seen it, not interested, have a higher priority activity, etc. This shows up when they introduce a new show. I've never seen the saving seat become a near violent issue until the Frozen show on the Wonder. It was almost full 15 minutes before showtime. As people came in they were getting mad as people were saving entire rows. A few loud shouting matches occurred. Honestly, I thought that was better than the show.

This is what I was thinking. I am pretty sure there isn't enough seats to accommodate everyone, even with early/late seating. There is an assumption that some people won't go to the show because they've seen it, not interested, have a higher priority activity, etc. This shows up when they introduce a new show. I've never seen the saving seat become a near violent issue until the Frozen show on the Wonder. It was almost full 15 minutes before showtime. As people came in they were getting mad as people were saving entire rows. A few loud shouting matches occurred. Honestly, I thought that was better than the show.

Awww, c'mon. Frozen is a pretty good show ;)

I hadn't really seen any behavior terrible enough to note when this thread was first posted. Then we went on the Wonder in June. An older toddler (2-ish) was having a tantrum in Cabanas at breakfast. He was standing in his high chair, wailing and flailing, and the parents just kept eating and chatting. A nervous server came over, clearly worried he was going to topple over. She tried to get him to sit back down, as nice as could be. Instead the mom invited him to come sit on her lap. She was across the table from him. To the server's (and my!) absolute horror, the parents had him WALK ACROSS THE TABLE. It was full of plates of food and drinks. And yes, he was wearing shoes. I've never seen anything like it. He just walked 4 or 5 steps on the table to them, knocking into plates as he went. So very many things wrong with that scenario, can't begin to understand why the parents encouraged that.

I am not at all surprised. I work in a restaurant and see appalling behavior all the time. Walking on the table is worse then standing on the seat but we have booths and people let their kids stand and jump and run up and down our banquets. This tears holes in them. Since when did it become OK for a child to stand/jump on their chair at a restaurant? Not to mention run up and down the length of them. One day a little boy about 4 was doing that and was climbing on the back of the banquets and almost fell. The Mom could care less and one customer saw him try to climb over, head first, and yelled at him. We all wanted to clap. Finally the Mom got him and made him sit down. I saw a lot of kids standing on their chairs in the restaurants this trip to WDW. Somehow kids now are incapable of sitting like that rest of us did when we were young?

I agree that seat saving, whether at the pool or in the theater, is boorish behavior, especially when the Personal Navigator specifically asks guests to not do this.

Since there are attempts within this thread to justify it as acceptable behavior, what if the last 10 rows on the left and right sides of each theater were reserved for seat savers? Do we think that this would cut down the instances since it seems that most seat savers want front and center rows? It also allows for less disruption when people arrive later.

Regarding seats at the pool, on my 2014 Med cruise I was up very early to take photos from Deck 10 as we pulled into the ports. I noticed one morning that a CM was going around to all of the loungers in the immediate adult pool area adding towels to those seats. Not one guest was in sight. I do not know if this is a normal routine or was just done by that CM on that cruise, but I do find it interesting that people are commenting that chairs already have towels on them at 6 am.

Since there are attempts within this thread to justify it as acceptable behavior, what if the last 10 rows on the left and right sides of each theater were reserved for seat savers? Do we think that this would cut down the instances since it seems that most seat savers want front and center rows? It also allows for less disruption when people arrive later.

I like it! :sunny:

I agree that seat saving, whether at the pool or in the theater, is boorish behavior, especially when the Personal Navigator specifically asks guests to not do this.

Regarding seats at the pool, on my 2014 Med cruise I was up very early to take photos from Deck 10 as we pulled into the ports. I noticed one morning that a CM was going around to all of the loungers in the immediate adult pool area adding towels to those seats. Not one guest was in sight. I do not know if this is a normal routine or was just done by that CM on that cruise, but I do find it interesting that people are commenting that chairs already have towels on them at 6 am.

In the case where I saw it on Royal Caribbean, I saw cruise passengers staging the chairs with towels clipped on, some putting paperback books page-open down on the seats, even putting flip flops under the chairs to make them seem occupied. It wasn't crew putting folded towels on the chairs.

Why, thank you! I just emailed DCL with my suggestion. :)

Just a question, as much of a great idea that it seems, why would people abide by it? They obviously don't think that the no seat saving rules apply to them, they will just think that those sections are for everyone else wanting to save seats, not them. They will continue to save the seats that they want. Center section, middle rows.

Just a question, as much of a great idea that it seems, why would people abide by it? They obviously don't think that the no seat saving rules apply to them, they will just think that those sections are for everyone else wanting to save seats, not them. They will continue to save the seats that they want. Center section, middle rows.

It might let other passengers feel less awkward in claiming the better seats if they knew a reserved section was setup for those who want to arrive separately from the rest of their party. This obviously does not include those who claim a seat with their group and then need to use the restroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter