Boorish behavior

Three simple words: No Seat Saving. Should be easy to follow, right?

Isn’t it strange that adults have such a hard time understanding the rule that there is no seat saving? Even a group of grade school children understand what that means, “no savesies” means “no savesies” period.

I keep trying to stay out of this thread regarding saving seats, having already shared my experience, but it is hard.

It feel it is really more complicated than some are making it out. I never tried to save a seat for a party member that had not waited in line and went with me to claim their seat. But, there has to be a way to use the bathroom and not have to find somewhere else to sit. There is no way some of the hard core "no seat savers" would know that I (or my daughter) just left their seat to use the restroom and there is also absolutely no way that I am not going to be upset that someone else takes my seat when I do use the restroom.

Maybe the CM's need to carry around some hall passes to hand out? Example, my daughter comes and grabs a chair and then gets a "be back in 5 minutes" from a CM to place on her chair? That way, DCL is the one saving her seat.

We do use the restroom before finding a seat. Still, sometimes nature calls.

I keep trying to stay out of this thread regarding saving seats, having already shared my experience, but it is hard.

It feel it is really more complicated than some are making it out. I never tried to save a seat for a party member that had not waited in line and went with me to claim their seat. But, there has to be a way to use the bathroom and not have to find somewhere else to sit. There is no way some of the hard core "no seat savers" would know that I (or my daughter) just left their seat to use the restroom and there is also absolutely no way that I am not going to be upset that someone else takes my seat when I do use the restroom.

Maybe the CM's need to carry around some hall passes to hand out? Example, my daughter comes and grabs a chair and then gets a "be back in 5 minutes" from a CM to place on her chair? That way, DCL is the one saving her seat.

I think most of us get that sometimes people have to use the restroom after getting a seat. That is one - MAYBE two seats (if the kid is too little to go unattended).

The problem comes in when people sent one or two people to save seats for a large group of people who have obviously NOT had a sudden call of nature or need for popcorn but rather want to take their sweet time getting there and have prime (in their opinion) seats waiting for them.

I have to say, it's one of the times I completely appreciate my experience with theater in NYC teaching me that 99% of the time closer is NOT better. It's far better to be able to see the whole stage to take in all of the action. But there again, I'm definitely weird for that mentality on these boards. :P

I think most of us get that sometimes people have to use the restroom after getting a seat. That is one - MAYBE two seats (if the kid is too little to go unattended).

The problem comes in when people sent one or two people to save seats for a large group of people who have obviously NOT had a sudden call of nature or need for popcorn but rather want to take their sweet time getting there and have prime (in their opinion) seats waiting for them.

I have to say, it's one of the times I completely appreciate my experience with theater in NYC teaching me that 99% of the time closer is NOT better. It's far better to be able to see the whole stage to take in all of the action. But there again, I'm definitely weird for that mentality on these boards. :P

I agree. I think there is a definite difference between a seat being "saved" and a seat being "claimed" If someone has come in and claimed their seat then it isn't saving any longer. The difference is usually fairly evident by virtue of timing and method.

The problem I’ve found in the theaters is that people talk through out the performance. So rude!

This! I ended up leaving Wishes on the Fantasy my first (and so far only) time on her because a group came in and sat behind me and proceeded to look over the Navigator (they had a pen light with them) and talk the whole time about what they were going to do the next day. In spite of myself and several others shushing them. I can only guess they thought they *had* to go to the show and were not allowed to skip it. Completely ruined the experience for me.

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, if your body has entered the theater and you have sat in a seat, you have claimed that seat. It is now your seat for the duration. Nobody "saved" that seat for you. So you should be able to get up and go to the restroom, or buy concessions or do whatever. You entered the theater, you found a seat, you claimed it.

I don't get how other people see this as seat saving?? It's the one person that walks in alone and claims 8 seats for his/her family that is seat saving. There have been times when my kids have told me they don't want to see the show, so we go without them, get our seats, and then all of a sudden, the theater is packed, the show is about to start and I will see the kid that said they were not going to go, trolling the aisles looking for us. Of course there is no seat for him. But he makes do, finds a single seat, and we catch up outside the theater.

I agree with this. If someone was and is sitting in a seat and simply needs to leave their seat for a potty break or to grab a concessions item, it would not be right for someone to pull the "no saving" rule, because in essence, the seat is already taken. But because people are people, I would not leave for one of these 2 quick items (potty or food/bev from concessions) without SOMEONE in my party watching the seat.

And I TOTALLY agree about the seating choices. Unless it's a show with a performer that might choose audience members, and someone WANTS to be chosen, I don't understand why people go bonkers for those right-up-front seats. We actually prefer to be in the back 1/2 of the theatre for better viewing IMO.

This! I ended up leaving Wishes on the Fantasy my first (and so far only) time on her because a group came in and sat behind me and proceeded to look over the Navigator (they had a pen light with them) and talk the whole time about what they were going to do the next day.

The Magic's theater cast changed at the end of the EBTA back in May, and the new cast's first show was Once Upon A Song during that voyage. We had a group of the old cast sit in the row in front, and another group of them to our right, with empty seats on our left. They were all talking to one another, assessing the new cast, but were fairly quiet so it wasn't too distracting. About 10 minutes into the show, another group of them (about 5 or 6) sat on the left of us, and that's when it got annoying - all the groups were leaning around us trying to talk about the show. It was pretty awkward since we didn't particularly want to get up and find new seats while the show was on (after all, we were there first), and being performers from that very theater I'd have thought they would have had a bit more consideration about people trying to watch the show.

The Magic's theater cast changed at the end of the EBTA back in May, and the new cast's first show was Once Upon A Song during that voyage. We had a group of the old cast sit in the row in front, and another group of them to our right, with empty seats on our left. They were all talking to one another, assessing the new cast, but were fairly quiet so it wasn't too distracting. About 10 minutes into the show, another group of them (about 5 or 6) sat on the left of us, and that's when it got annoying - all the groups were leaning around us trying to talk about the show. It was pretty awkward since we didn't particularly want to get up and find new seats while the show was on (after all, we were there first), and being performers from that very theater I'd have thought they would have had a bit more consideration about people trying to watch the show.

I would have been annoyed as well. Did you say something to them? I would have politely said something when it got annoying and interfered with my being able to enjoy the show. ::yes::

I would have been annoyed as well. Did you say something to them? I would have politely said something when it got annoying and interfered with my being able to enjoy the show. ::yes::

Agreed. And said something to the CD later so he could remind them that if they go to watch, they are GUESTS at that point.

The problem I’ve found in the theaters is that people talk through out the performance. So rude!

Yes! Like I always say, if you are opening your mouth we can hear you! People think they are whispering -- ummm, no! We can hear you, and it is absolutely annoying. Same on attractions and same at movie theaters.

Yes! Like I always say, if you are opening your mouth we can hear you! People think they are whispering -- ummm, no! We can hear you, and it is absolutely annoying. Same on attractions and same at movie theaters.

Yep. I don't blame the very little children for occasionally blurting things out, but adults should know better and have the self-control not to talk during a live performance. It's only about an hour long--how hard is it to stay quiet for that?

The Magic's theater cast changed at the end of the EBTA back in May, and the new cast's first show was Once Upon A Song during that voyage. We had a group of the old cast sit in the row in front, and another group of them to our right, with empty seats on our left. They were all talking to one another, assessing the new cast, but were fairly quiet so it wasn't too distracting. About 10 minutes into the show, another group of them (about 5 or 6) sat on the left of us, and that's when it got annoying - all the groups were leaning around us trying to talk about the show. It was pretty awkward since we didn't particularly want to get up and find new seats while the show was on (after all, we were there first), and being performers from that very theater I'd have thought they would have had a bit more consideration about people tryin

I know quite a few theater people and you won't find a chattier, more gossipy bunch. And boy are they judgmental and insecure! And also lovely, lively people. They literally cannot keep their mouths shut. These are the ones that always got in trouble at school for talking and acting up in class. The very same traits that make them great performers make them lousy theater guests, lol.

Last edited:
I know quite a few theater people and you won't find a chattier, more gossipy bunch. And boy are they judgmental and insecure! And also lovely, lively people. They literally cannot keep their mouths shut. These are the ones that always got in trouble at school for talking and acting up in class. The very same traits that make them great performers make them lousy theater guests, lol.

That sounds familiar! We host a lot of professional development workshops for teachers and they invariably spend the whole time chatting with each other and not listening.

That sounds familiar! We host a lot of professional development workshops for teachers and they invariably spend the whole time chatting with each other and not listening.

My sister is a nurse and is very good with her patients, but is a terrible patient herself.

After attending many NYC shows with a university group, and only getting balcony seats, we discovered that that is actually the preferred view as you can see the whole stage and are raised above the row in front of you unlike in Orchestra. We now purposely sit at the back of the theater on Disney and buy balcony theater seats for plays.

As a first time cruiser this December, I’m THRILLED to have stumbled across this thread.

Now I feel I should keep my head on a swivel:
- on the pool deck
- in line at the buffet
- looking for a table at lunch
- looking for a place to relax at Castaway Cay
- in the theaters...

Just back from the Dream, and observed this disgusting behavior at the Cabanas buffet. A guy was going along the buffet, eating items from his plate with his fingers as he went along, and then using the same hand to use the tongs to put more food on his plate.

I just got off my first ever Royal Caribbean cruise a couple of days ago, and immediately thought of this post when I witnessed a woman eating and sucking her fingers clean while in the buffet line. And I mean deep throating those babies down to the palm, numerous times. Revolting.

Also at the buffet, saw someone pick up a cup of potato salad, eye it closely, sniff it, and then place it back. I was very quick to make someone aware. Some people have no standards.

Unsurprisingly, it's the first cruise I've ever been on where we received a note in the stateroom saying that numerous guests had been hit with gastro.

DH and I were in the Tube watching a show and the last few minutes of it, a woman comes walking in and sits in front of us. She is saving the row of seats for her family to the next show. But during the last few minutes of the show we were watching, she kept standing up, walking back and forth, looking at the door, blocking our view of what was going on. DH finally said to her that we are trying to watch the show and to please sit. She just looked annoyed at us and said she was watching for her family and continued standing and pacing in front of us. We were planning to stay for the next show but decided we didn’t want to hang around near this lady.

I think at some point, DH must have done something to annoy this guy we kept seeing all over the ship. Whenever we saw him, he gave DH the stink eye. No idea what he did and this guy is probably going to write on one of these threads about how rude my DH is. :rotfl2:

I think no matter how wonderful and polite you think you are, you are going to get on someone’s nerves and they are going to think you are rude.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter