Bird Box

I liked it quite a bit. Only thing I don't like (and I've seen this over and over and over in these types of movies) is where there is one smart guy (John Malkovich) who knows they shouldn't be letting strangers in. And the group basically forces them to. It really drives me crazy.

We enjoyed it. I wasn't looking for anything Oscar worthy from Netflix, but found it entertaining and a good way to spend an evening over Christmas vacation.

I did think the end was a little weak, but the concept of the school for the blind was intriguing. Blind people never even crossed my mind during the movie. I do think the girl cop and Machine Gun Kelly (their character names escape me) could have been written in better to serve more of a purpose. I was fully expecting to see them again by the end of the movie and we never did. I liked this movie better than A Quiet Place, perhaps because there was actually dialogue. But I do see how its essentially the same exact concept.

I liked it quite a bit. Only thing I don't like (and I've seen this over and over and over in these types of movies) is where there is one smart guy (John Malkovich) who knows they shouldn't be letting strangers in. And the group basically forces them to. It really drives me crazy.
...sorta like the "DON'T GO IN THE CLOSET/BASEMENT/ATTIC/GARAGE..." premise....

They didn't explain anything. What they were...why they were...where they were from....or even what they looked like (every drawing was different).

Well Gary was one of those special people who could "see" without needing to kill himself. So I guess the drawings were images of what he saw and he laid them on the table so others knew what they were in for when they opened their eyes. They looked frightening to me but Gary thought they were "beautiful." That's my best guess.

Well Gary was one of those special people who could "see" without needing to kill himself. So I guess the drawings were images of what he saw and he laid them on the table so others knew what they were in for when they opened their eyes. They looked frightening to me but Gary thought they were "beautiful." That's my best guess.

Winner, winner. I loved the movie and thought Sandra Bullock was really good in it. I didn't know it was a book first so I immediately ordered it for my Kindle so watched both the movie and read the book over the weekend. The book was very interesting and gave a little insight into Gary. He was mad all along so he could see those creatures without it affecting him. In the book the creatures were more tangible meaning they seemed more than just a wind blowing through. At one point on the river the creature tried to remove Malorie's blindfold.

Not sure which I liked more....the book or movie. I think they were both very good!!!

MJ

Just watched it and I really liked it. I did have to read a spoiler first so I was prepared if one of the kids died, but despite the spoilers I still enjoyed the ride.

Winner, winner. I loved the movie and thought Sandra Bullock was really good in it. I didn't know it was a book first so I immediately ordered it for my Kindle so watched both the movie and read the book over the weekend. The book was very interesting and gave a little insight into Gary. He was mad all along so he could see those creatures without it affecting him. In the book the creatures were more tangible meaning they seemed more than just a wind blowing through. At one point on the river the creature tried to remove Malorie's blindfold.

Not sure which I liked more....the book or movie. I think they were both very good!!!

MJ

Sandra was very good. Sandra, John, and Gary were the standouts for me.

Apparently Sandra Bullock had an actual blindfold on during her blindfold scenes and refused to learn how to row a boat prior to filming since her character woulsnt know how. She wore a special blindfold anytime she had to run home with the children that allowed her to see very obscured

To answer the power question...in the book they explained it as Hydroelectric power from somewhere on the river. The well was in the backyard of the house and they had to attached a bucket to it and crank it down to the bottom of the well and then crank it up. They placed heavy stones in the bottom of the buckets before they cranked it down so the bucket would sink below the water to fill. The movie did not explain it.

Also, the female cop and other guy who left were not in the book. There were some different characters in the house too. The time frame was also much longer with "reports" happening for 3 months before it started happening in their town. Malorie was also much younger and Tom was in the book but died the night the babies were born. They were just friends but she really looked up to him as a leader of the group.

MJ

I liked how suspenseful it was and thought that the movie wouldn't have been as good without Sandra Bullock. She really rose to the occasion of playing Mallory in this.

I really appreciated that she named the children at the end. I agree that until she knew they were safe, there was little reason to name them... the whole intimacy angle that was called out earlier in this thread.

I liked also that the birds didn't drown in that river! I was worried for them as well as the children.

I really liked the movie. I hadn't read a description prior so had I known it'd show constant suicides I wouldn't have. My friend and I watched together. I love Sandra Bullock so thought she'd do a decent movie going in.

The description Charlie (author character) gave that the creatures show your greatest loss/regrets/fears made sense to us. That each person would see something different that's personal to them. Afterwards kind of analyzing what we'd see if it were us.

When we saw the sign for the school of the blind at the end that shocked us but it clicked. Also so glad to see the dr again as well, along with the kids and birds were safe. Wish Tom would have surprised them at the end too instead of what happened to him; but allowed Boy to be named after him.

I watched Birdbox over the weekend. I don't usually watch horror/monster/scary movies anymore and was glad that it was just suspenseful. With all the crazy things happening in the beginning it reminded me of the novel Cell by Stephen King.

I downloaded the book last night but didn't get far because I fell asleep. I'm looking forward to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter