Biggest Loser Alumni Holiday Edition: past, present and future participants welcome!

You're right, work is very inconvenient. That's why I stopped on the way home and bought 5 megamillions tickets. Maybe I'll be putting my notice in on monday.:rotfl:

:lmao:

Kathy I will miss you too but at least we have the princess thread now.:banana:

princess: Yes, and we can also post on the other team's threads, too. ::yes::

I'll think of you now, Lindsay, every time I see a Peep! :goodvibes

Today is a big straightening up the house day. I want to get some laundry done too so I'm all ready for next week.

Have a wonderful New Year's Eve all!

QOTD for Friday, December 31st.
Reflect back on 2010. List at least one positive accomplishment for the year, more if you can.

I signed up for this challenge !
I understand what I have to do to avoid health issues and I am ready to follow through.
Walking for Exercise isn't all that bad. :lmao:

other than that for health type things, well... it was a bad year.

I took a lot of college classes and loved them. I made A's all the way.
I learned how to be calm when DH's plant closed down and he was out of work for 4 months.
My kids had an awesome year! I am proud of them and their hard work.
The begining of the year was not so great, BUT the last few months have been good. REALLY good.

Sorry about the tough start :hug: but sounds like things are improving for you and you have a great plan for 2011! :thumbsup2

Hello! I am a WISH newbie. I have heard how awesome you guys are and thought I would check you out.

How do you sign up or what do you do??

So these past 2 weeks my goal was to maintain. I still have no idea how this happened, but I lost 3 pounds! It feels like a good way to end the year and I am posting my first loss for the holiday season in many years.

QOTD:
1. I lost 23 pounds and 2 sizes.

2. I planned our family road trip this summer, which was an absolute blast. We toured the west, including the Grand Canyon. We camped at the beach with the in laws, which the kids loved. Oh, and of course we went to DL for 3 days.

3. I kept up with going to the gym at the very minimum of 2x a week (usually more) for the entire year. This is the longest continuous stretch of consistently working out in my life.

4. I have discovered that if I don't go to they gym, I really miss it. Who knew?

I apologize to Team Mickey in advance if I don't lose my first week, since I have lost 2 weeks in a row already. I'll work hard, though!

I also forgot to mention the new cookbook I am using, which I love. Its called "Cook This, Not That," from the same authors of the "Eat This, Not That," series. It offers less decadent versions of many restaurant favorites. Most entrees are between 300 and 500 calories and are quite good. Its something different if you're like me and often get tired of grilled fish and veggies.

Good luck to everyone in the challenge and Happy New Year!

Hello! I am a WISH newbie. I have heard how awesome you guys are and thought I would check you out.

:welcome: Kim! You're timing is great -- the new challenge starts tomorrow. Here is the link http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=39242686&postcount=1 where you can read all about it and sign up. Our lovely hostess, Rose, will then assign you to a team. Good luck! :thumbsup2

So these past 2 weeks my goal was to maintain. I still have no idea how this happened, but I lost 3 pounds! It feels like a good way to end the year and I am posting my first loss for the holiday season in many years.

Wow that's great, Lisa! :thumbsup2 Happy New Year to you, too. :flower3:

Did you get any snow in Colorado?

Sounds like a nice relaxing trip. Narcoosee's and Raglan Road are on my list of places to try. Did you like Raglan Road?

I didn't crack while getting through my first tax season as a mom, we took our first vacation as a family (HHI), and I joined the BL thread and reached my goal :cool1: I'm sure there are other things, but those come to mind first.
Glad Dylan is doing well with the tubes! We loved Raglan Road. The soup I had did not have chicken stock--sometimes it's hard to find veggie soup and I had an aspargus tart! Yum! DS had mussels, and i can't remember what Mike had. And the beer was yummy!

1. Successfully finding a new doctor and finding the perfect combination of meds 2. Losing weight while I had a fractured foot
3. Finding a new job
4. Ending BL 10 with a loss :banana:
5. Saving some money
6. Joining the BL challenges (Believe it or not, I was very nervous. ;))
7. Eating more soup (I used to really dislike it-and many are so healthy!)
8. Taking Zumba classes
9. Keeping a gym membership for longer than 1 year
10. Helping/tutoring my neighbor well enough that she improved her grades

That's all that come to mind now. I'll keep thinking though. #1 is a big one. I am no longer gaining huge amounts of weight. :cloud9:
Great list CC! What a successful year--and I was very nervous about joining too! How silly is that?;)

Taryn--woohoo for getting a run in! And what a year you have had!:goodvibes You should be so proud of sticking with the healthy lifestyle with all that you have had on your plate.:hug:

Tracey--I'll be sending you some more names today. We are definitely going to blow past 100 today. Thank you for all that you do.:goodvibes

3. Im so glad you didnt let your fears get the best of you. The tour sounded like a blast. I was just talking to my mom today about being afraid to do things or go places. You have to "live like you were dying".

Lindsay--I loved the Doctor story. Thank you for sharing. I think that one of my biggest, though hardest to define accomplishments over the last 18 months has been to try things that scared me. I felt myself going down the anxiety path again, and last time it was so bad I didn't want to leave the house. And I also felt like I was being a cruddy role model to Tom. I still get anxious, but it is definitely better.:goodvibes

-We made great strides in the home improvement and organization department

-We had a fabulous vacation
-Hunter remained tumor free and everyone is healthy
-I landed a full time job
-The kids are doing fabulous in school
-We have a plan in place to get in shape in the new year.
Wonderful list Deb!!!!

Thanks for posting this. I feel like I suck for not being on this thread more since it started. I went through a really rough patch with my disease and I'm still having issues. We switched over to prednisone thinking that would help, but it didn't so I had to switch back to hydrocortisone and my body is not a happy body. Sigh. I haven't even felt well enough to workout or go for a skate. Very frustrating!

But I needed this QOTD because I beat myself up a lot. They don't call Cushing's the ugly disease for nothing. I grew a hump, stretch marks and gained a ton of weight so it's really hard to find something positive in your life. I deal with hating myself all the time (yes, I do mean hate). I never look at myself in the mirror because I'm so ugly. So here goes...

1. I took a flying leap and had my adrenal glands removed on the chance I would have a better life and for the most part, I do.

2. I've had 2 straight 4.0 quarters at school which I've never had before

3. I'm actually excited to go back to school on Monday. I love learning chemistry even though I have to work really, really hard at it. I've never been this passionate about school before.

4. I went skating for the first time in a year and a half on Christmas Eve. It took a lot of guts to do that because I'm nowhere near the skater I used to be so I'm having to learn to adjust my expectations and be OK with not being perfect or the best.

5. I finished 2 5K's this year after surgery. I'm doing another one on Jan 1.

I think that's it. It's a start I guess...
I am sorry this year has been so hard. I'm glad writing it all out helped.:hug: Hope your 5k goes fabulously tomorrow!!!

:worship:5am at the gym, can you wear your pajamas? So excited for another long weekend. :cool1:

Congrats on staying in your maintain weight. Do you eat any of those refueling gels or beans during your run too? Good luck with your run this morning.

I did not gain weight; I started running, and didn't quit; I cut fast food to once a month.

I will you all a happy, healthy new year. :hug:
:lmao:--the pajamas comment! I eat gu or clif shots (I like the pineapple one) and take endurolytes. Great list by the way!

1. I now love spinach.:lmao: never ate any green veggies and who would have thought I would find a love for spinach.:lmao:

2. lost 35lbs. going from a size 16 to a 12.

3. Kept up with running. I have run 2-3x a wk since april. Going as far as 7 miles.

4. Got a promotion at work.

Thanks rose for letting us take the moment to feel proud of what we did. It is so easy to look at all the negative stuff.

Take Care!!!!!
Great list Lindsay! Hope you have a wonderful run!:goodvibes

:lmao: Love the story about Preston, Rose. We had a similar run in at Sea World in San Diego with a kid we still fondly call "Dudley." We first ran into Dudley waiting for a tour, then Dudley was on our tour, Dudley ate at the same place we did for lunch, and lastly we ran into him at the gift shop. Everywhere Dudley went he and his parents gave us a lot of entertainment in a not so good way. Sad, but true. :sad2:

I'm midway through training for my first half marathon! princess:

BRB worried about the smilie police! ;)
It was so crazy it was comical! Luckily we didn't see them again! And I see you wrote your "first" half marathon--do I see more on the horizon?:goodvibes

Cam--before I forget--Congrats on 15 pounds!

QOTD for Friday, December 31st.
Reflect back on 2010. List at least one positive accomplishment for the year, more if you can.

I signed up for this challenge !
I understand what I have to do to avoid health issues and I am ready to follow through.
Walking for Exercise isn't all that bad. :lmao:

other than that for health type things, well... it was a bad year.

I took a lot of college classes and loved them. I made A's all the way.
I learned how to be calm when DH's plant closed down and he was out of work for 4 months.
My kids had an awesome year! I am proud of them and their hard work.
The begining of the year was not so great, BUT the last few months have been good. REALLY good.
I'm glad your year trended up! Great list!

Welcome! I say that Lisa told you how to get started. Thanks Lisa!

QOTD:
1. I lost 23 pounds and 2 sizes.

2. I planned our family road trip this summer, which was an absolute blast. We toured the west, including the Grand Canyon. We camped at the beach with the in laws, which the kids loved. Oh, and of course we went to DL for 3 days.

3. I kept up with going to the gym at the very minimum of 2x a week (usually more) for the entire year. This is the longest continuous stretch of consistently working out in my life.

4. I have discovered that if I don't go to they gym, I really miss it. Who knew?

I apologize to Team Mickey in advance if I don't lose my first week, since I have lost 2 weeks in a row already. I'll work hard, though!

I also forgot to mention the new cookbook I am using, which I love. Its called "Cook This, Not That," from the same authors of the "Eat This, Not That," series. It offers less decadent versions of many restaurant favorites. Most entrees are between 300 and 500 calories and are quite good. Its something different if you're like me and often get tired of grilled fish and veggies.

Good luck to everyone in the challenge and Happy New Year!
Great list! Does the cookbook use a lot of basic ingredients or premade? Like does is use broth or canned soup? Sounds interesting!

I never answered the QOTD. I will in a minute. Let me start by saying, that I had one of my most mentally challenging runs today. I got up with a sore throat and was just tired. We ran outside, and the wind was brutal--it was in the 50s, but the wind was crazy! I honestly struggled through every mile. I had to draw on the fact that I'd done this before and I could do it again. We ran a mile walked a minute. With hills in the park and wind we finished at 2:06:49 for 12 miles which is my fastest long run! We were both covered in salt at the end--the wind was drying all the sweat. I had my pretzels with me, so I munched on those the whole way home. Getting enough water and getting salt really seems to be the key to keeping the nausea at bay.

So having said that, here's my list of positive things for 2010:
1. I started 2010 very close to a couch potato, weighing 189 pounds. This morning I got up and ran 12 miles and my weight was 143.:goodvibes
2. This is hard to define, but I am getting better at sticking up for myself. I put everyone's needs ahead of mine, which just doesn't work after a while.
3. I ran 2 or 3 5ks this year, a 10k and 2 half marathons! I am stronger than ever and really enjoy strength training.
4. I tried new things this year including switching jobs and the segway tour!
5. Things are not perfect, but mentally I feel like I am at a good place. I am handling the teenage drama pretty well, and all the drama that is my family.

The last mile of our run (when I desparately wanted to quit) Mike said--did you ever think a year ago that this is how you would be finishing this year. It's making me tear up just thinking about it. Thank you all for supporting me through this year. I only hope that I can be that support for you next year.:goodvibes

Happy New Year!!!!

I did mine yesterday and it was the farthest I've ever gone so I can't complain a bit! princess:

Great job lisa.:woohoo::yay:

I hope your luck continues. Great list of positives.

I'll think of you now, Lindsay, every time I see a Peep! :goodvibes

:lmao: that makes me laugh. I think I have been associated with worse things than that so Im ok with you thinking of peeps when you think of me.:lmao:

no apologies needed. We are a team, we will do this together!!!!!! Great job on your pre-challenge loss. I have gained a few since last challenge but I know its all junk weight that will come off quickly. I see it as more for me to loose the first week.:lmao:

The last mile of our run (when I desparately wanted to quit) Mike said--did you ever think a year ago that this is how you would be finishing this year. It's making me tear up just thinking about it. Thank you all for supporting me through this year. I only hope that I can be that support for you next year.:goodvibes

Oh yeah this one got me a bit teary too. I am so proud of you rose. You have made amazing accomplishments to be proud of. Sorry your run was tough but in the end I think it made you stronger.;)

:hug: I'm sorry you are having such a struggle with the cushings. I hope they can find something that helps you soon. You have accomplished so much this past year. Your list is so positive, and I hope you're able to see many more positives in the new year. 2 5k's after having surgery is awesome, and good for you for getting out and skating again. I hope it was as much fun as before for you. Good luck with your 5k tomorrow!! You'll have to tell us all about it. I'll see you on Team Donald!!

Thanks! :hug: It's a daily struggle. I now have to replace the hormones that my adrenal glands used to make so learning how to balance them is really hard! But I'm not going to let it beat me.

I'm going to go pick up my race packet soon for tomorrow.

I also signed up for a 9 miler in March and my first half in June, so lots to work towards! :thumbsup2

Go team Donald! :donald:

I am sorry this year has been so hard. I'm glad writing it all out helped.:hug: Hope your 5k goes fabulously tomorrow!!!

Thanks! :hug: I need to focus more on the positives. It's so easy to get bogged down with what I can't do anymore that sometimes I don't see what I still can do. It's a whole new life.

I'm hoping to run (OK, for me a turtely jog... LOL!) the whole 5K tomorrow.

LisaH-We were forecasted to get a foot of snow in our area, but only ended up with about 4 inches. Oh well, its better than nothing. Its bitterly cold today (high of 7), so we are staying inside!

Rose-The cookbook is mostly cooking from scratch. All the recipes take around 30 minutes to make too, which is great. There are a few convience items like canned low sodium broth and Muir Glen Organic pasta sauce and canned tomatoes (I love their canned fire roasted tomatoes, somtimes I puree them with cilantro and jalapenos and pour it over baked fish-yummy!). I made their 500 calorie mac and cheese a couple of weeks ago, it was quite good. It definitely satisfied my mac and cheese craving without overindulging.

It is so motivating to read all of your accomplishments this year! I am really looking forward to the spring challenge being able to add weight loss to my list of accomplishments for 2011. I know all the support I see here will certainly help!

Friends,

I just have a minute to stop by and say HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I am here at my Mom and Dad's house, enjoying family time.

I just want to take the time to say THANK YOU to all of my special WISH board friends here. You have become a precious group of good friends and I appreciate all of you so very much. You have been warm and comforting and supportive, not only with regards to weight loss and healthy living, but in regards to many other things in life, most especially my DH's accident last month. It was truly like talking to a close friend to be able to come on here every day and chat and destress and vent about all that was happening.

We have all shared stories here.... stories about weight loss (or lack of :sad2:), running and exercise, child rearing, marital challenges, financial woes, etc, etc, etc and of course, we have all offered advise to each other and sometimes just a supportive hug when needed. That is what true friendship is all about.... and I don't think that there is any reason why we shouldn't consider ourselves TRUE FRIENDS even if we don't know each other IRL. And you know what... meeting each other IRL makes it even better!!!

Okay... before I get too mushy here (and no, I haven't been drinking ;)), I'll get going. Thanks to all of my dear, dear BL friends... 2010 was great and 2011 will be even better!!!

:hug: to you all....................P

Indulge me here...this is my last post (I think) for 2010. P--hugs to you. What a lovely post.:goodvibes

DS and Stitch!
IMG_1864.jpg

Not a great picture, but the lights were amazing!
IMG_1785.jpg

Dumbo! It's so nice to fit comfortably in the seats!
IMG_1810.jpg

At the end of our segway tour!
IMG_1861.jpg

Christmas day at AK. It was so empty. We had a fabulous time!
IMG_1897.jpg

My favorite attraction--TOT!
IMG_1912.jpg

It was so cold--I had on a long sleeved shirt, my new really cute espn sweatshirt, and a vest! Mike said I still looked fabulous!!
IMG_1921.jpg

At BW right before we left to go home!
IMG_1931.jpg

This picture was taken on Christmas before we had dinner at Artist Point.
IMG_1905.jpg

Great accomplishments, Sue. Isn't is amazing how crazy things can seem before you have a child, but add that child into the picture, and it can seem impossible, but you just set your mind to it, and you can get through anything.

Thanks, I think the 2 things I miss the most are my sleep and my memory. It used to be excellent. It's still good, but it's failed me several times since I got pregnant. My chiropractor's wife calls it momnesia :lmao:

Any good plans for tomorrow? It's supposed to be pretty warm out.

Hope that Dylan is feeling better soon! :hug:

My guy is having tooth pain due to getting ready to have his growth appliance installed for his braces so unfortunately you'll be dealing with this for awhile! ;)

Oh no, hope your guy is feeling better too :hug:

Glad Dylan is doing well with the tubes! We loved Raglan Road. The soup I had did not have chicken stock--sometimes it's hard to find veggie soup and I had an aspargus tart! Yum! DS had mussels, and i can't remember what Mike had. And the beer was yummy!

Sounds good, I'll be keeping it on my list!

Indulge me here...this is my last post (I think) for 2010. P--hugs to you. What a lovely post.:goodvibes

At the end of our segway tour!
IMG_1861.jpg

Looks like a great trip! I love this picture :goodvibes

Well, I just got back from our NYE dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. Ate way too much as usual, but it's my NY's splurge. Funny thing... we got Dylan a side of mac and cheese which he always loves and he didn't care for it, but he kept eating my pasta DaVinci penne instead. My DH and I were like whoa :scared1: Guess he's branching out.

I'm super tired and might have to take a nap if I'm going to make it til midnight.

Anyway, I wanted to hop on and wish all my BL friends a Happy New Year. Here's to a happy and healthy 2011 for everyone! Group hug :grouphug: Talk to you in 2011!

We have all shared stories here.... stories about weight loss (or lack of :sad2:), running and exercise, child rearing, marital challenges, financial woes, etc, etc, etc and of course, we have all offered advise to each other and sometimes just a supportive hug when needed. That is what true friendship is all about.... and I don't think that there is any reason why we shouldn't consider ourselves TRUE FRIENDS even if we don't know each other IRL. And you know what... meeting each other IRL makes it even better!!!

I totally agree pam. I hope you and your family have a very happy and healthy new year. Thanks for sharing the kind words.

Thanks, I think the 2 things I miss the most are my sleep and my memory. It used to be excellent. It's still good, but it's failed me several times since I got pregnant. My chiropractor's wife calls it momnesia :lmao:

I am finally getting sleep since the kids are older now but my memory just seems to get worse. They just suck all of the brain cells out of you during pregnancy and its downhill from there on.:lmao: We went out to dinner too and over induldge. I said its the last crappy meal for the year.:rotfl2:

We had fun at the "peep" drop and fireworks. It was a nice evening not too cold or windy. Then we decided to go to a resturant called starters riverport. Its a sports bar. I got a beer (this is usually a once a year thing for me, not much of a drinker anymore) and boneless buffalo wings. Not the best choice but it was so yummy together. We enjoyed ourselves. Now we are home safe and sound. Waiting for dick clark to come on. only 2 more hours to wait for that. I am hoping I can stay up until midnight. We may play some just dance on the wii but we have to let our food settle first.

I hope you all enjoy your evening! Have a wonderful happy and healthy New Year. Cheers to our accomplishments and memories of 2010 and for the good things that are yet to come our way in 2011.

See you on the new thread tomorrow. GO TEAM MICKEY

opps I almost forgot.

Rose I love the pics. You have a beautiful family. You look amazing even in all your layers.;) I still say you look like DS's sister not his mother. I especially love the dumbo pic.

Rose- Love the photos! Our Christmas card photo was from in front of the Animal Kingdom tree! Maybe DH and I can figure out how to post photos tomorrow. It will be a veg day to a point! We still haven't looked at our other photos that WE took on our trip only the Photopass ones.

Happy, healthy new year to all my BL friends. :grouphug:

I'll head on over and meet some new friends on the Donald thread in a few minutes, but just wanted to say hello to you all, and wish you all the best in the new year.

Pamela-:hug:You said it so eloquently. Happy New year.

Lindsay- I love that the baby sucks the brains cells out of you. :rotfl: So freaking true. And Peeps!! We love them!! They were the only candy treat michael could have for so long until he out grew his allergies.

Rose- You all look beautiful and so happy in the pics. Love them. What great memories you made. Dumbo is my favorite.

Sue- We have no plans for this weekend, but want to make a snow man and sled if there's much snow left. I've got a head cold, so we're having a slow start today.

We did go into boston last night, and what a fun event. We just walked around the common, watched the ice skating, and saw the ice sculptures, and then we saw some of the parade, and the fireworks for families that went off at 6:45. After we walked to Fanieul hall and had a late dinner, and headed home. It was such a nice night, totally worth the trip, but if it was in the 20s instead of the 40s, I don't know if it would have been half as fun. Then we watched AFV and Dick clark ring in the new year. Michael is always so happy to stay up late, but we both dozed off after 11 and woke up again at 11:45. He would have been mad if he slept through midnight.:rotfl:

Happy new year!! Off to the new challenge and off to lose some weight!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter