Big Thunder Mountain Railroad For a Ride Chicken?

First I want to say that I really like BTMRR. In fact, I prefer it to Space Mountain if I had to choose one.

DW was NOT a roller coaster person. On our first WDW trip together in 2008, she asked me which was the mildest roller coaster in WDW. I honestly forgot about the Barnstormer. I was going through in my mind EE, PW, RNR, Space, BTMRR. We were standing by Splash Mountain, so I pointed to BTMRR and said that one. She HATED it. Now this was a person who loved Test Track, enjoyed Tower of Terror, Star Tours, Mission Space Green.

It IS a roller coaster. It is most definitely a family oriented roller coaster. It is not wild. But if you really don't like roller coasters, you won't like it.

As far as fear of heights is concerned, Soarin is more likely to trigger the fear of heights.

Have a magical trip, whatever you decide.

I have never been on a roller coaster. How scary is it, and how high does it go...I really don't like heights.... I really want to try it and go on with my family. Is it that fast and scary? I really want to experience it with my family. by the way, I HATE ferris wheels because of the height and the stomach butterflies. Will I be able to do this? TIA!!! :) and LOL!

I'am a huge ride chicken. My idea of a thrill ride is the tea cups. I ride Big Thunder Mountain 10 times back to back late at night when the line is short. I absolutely love this ride. It's not that fast and it's not high compared to Expedition Everest. Aside from Big Thunder and Space, I never go on any other coasters. I would recommend it for a ride chicken.

If you have a supportive person to cling to before and afterwards... it's a little hard to hang onto them during the ride... LOL

I'm a ride chicken. I went. I screamed so ridiculously that everyone was staring at me... :(

I'am a huge ride chicken. My idea of a thrill ride is the tea cups. I ride Big Thunder Mountain 10 times back to back late at night when the line is short. I absolutely love this ride. It's not that fast and it's not high compared to Expedition Everest. Aside from Big Thunder and Space, I never go on any other coasters. I would recommend it for a ride chicken.

I will have to try it at night next time? It wasn't so bad when i went on it during the day last vacation! Thanks!

I think the worst part is the hill going up, but not because it's high or overly steep at all, but mainly because it's really loud and kind of drawn out. The anticipation is scarier than the "drop". You go up a track and are inside of a cave that is low beneath you, so there is nothing to the side of the track at the very beginning. If you're afraid of heights, looking forward instead of at the open area underneath you makes it a lot better! This is the longest and scariest part of the ride IMO. After this, there really isn't a drop! You expect one, but the train veers to the side and picks up speed. It's very jerky and fast, so expect sudden dips down or to the side, but there won't be any that are visually scary. Also, my grandma rode this one and had a blast, if that helps at all!

I have never been on a roller coaster. How scary is it, and how high does it go...I really don't like heights.... I really want to try it and go on with my family. Is it that fast and scary? I really want to experience it with my family. by the way, I HATE ferris wheels because of the height and the stomach butterflies. Will I be able to do this? TIA!!! :) and LOL!

I'm a huge chicken and have no issues on this ride. My dd16 though was really mad at me for convincing her to go.

My Mother loved this ride years ago and she has height problems too. So much so she has trouble with step stools and stairs with slats in between the steps and won't ever fly in a plane. But she really liked this ride. There are some hills but its not everest or rides that you may see at say a Six Flags. There are things to focus on other than the ground and the ride is never angled too severely.

Since someone dug up this old thread, would you say that 7DMT is less intense than BTMRR?

Thanks! We will try out 7DMT first and then hopefully try out BTMRR.

Thanks! We will try out 7DMT first and then hopefully try out BTMRR.

That's what I would suggest. I don't like coasters, but I do like both of those rides. 7DMT has a little more of a drop, but is much smoother. BTMRR is harder turns and a rougher ride...

Depends on how much of a chicken you are. I always looked at it as nothing more than a fast train ride, not a roller coaster. I had my aunt go on it (ride chicken) and the entire time she was on she screamed "YOU LIED! YOU LIED!" Maybe see it in person and watch some videos before you decide.

Oh, I can ride all the Disney rides except one. I won't try Primeval Whirl. I did all the rides at Universal and Sea World. I had to take Bonine for those rides.

I was asking for my niece who is a ride chicken. I'm hoping that now that she is older she will try out some new rides. I haven't been since the new Fantasyland was done, so no 7DMT. That why I was double checking that it's more tame than BTMRR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter