Big Thunder Mountain Railroad For a Ride Chicken?

Huge ride chicken here but Big Thunder is one of my favorites! Ride at the front and you'll be fine. Don't do Tower of Terror though, I still haven't recovered from that one :eek:.
Mo

There are 3 main lifts but no big drops, you bank to the left on each "drop" which really is a slight decline. There are a few bunny hill. But mainly you are going in circles fast (35 miles-ish). You can ask to ride up front it is slower than the back and also most people say it feels faster at night than during the day (though it is always the same speed). Also it is a bumpy jerky ride. I personally love that mountain!

ON the pro side: you're never really in a place where you're off the ground ..you always sort of see something under you, so in that regard its nice. It also doesn't have any huge roller coaster type drops.
on the con side: It also doesn't have anything more than a lap bar, just one across the seat, so if THAT fact might make you nervous, you do slide around in your seat a bit. It's not a big high tech shoulder harness type roller coaster. :) It it also loud and a bit bumpy.

I'm a bit a of a ride chicken & I find BTMRR to be a mild thrill ride. I would recommend that you ride towards the front of the ride. As you start down the hills, the front car tends to go slower - it's almost as though they are still putting on the brakes on the front car as it starts down the hill. At the back of the car you'll feel like it's going faster and whipping around turns more quickly. But I think you could handle it. :thumbsup2

The back is the best! It is a wild ride back there;)

I'm also a ride chicken and out of all the mountains, Thunder is the only one I ride. I think it depends on what your issue is with the coasters. My issue is large drops. So I won't get on Splash or ToT. But Thunder doesn't seem to be a big drop. Plus you can see the track, which is another issue I have with Space. I like seeing what's coming.

I've been on Space and Tower once a piece but like I said Thunder is the only one I still go on.

To me its the least scary.

I'm not a fan of coasters because I hate the drops. I love Big Thunder though. It's fast and fun, but doesn't have any huge drops like big coasters do.

Deb

My son does not like coasters, or anything will hills, or anything scary. He would not ride BTMRR for 3 years, and then he tried it once and loved it! He is almost 15 now, and still won't ride any coasters except for BTMRR. It's very mild. Like a hilly train ride. No big drops, no loops, nothing crazy or believe me, my son would not ride!

Have fun!

I, too, am of the feathered and tasty variety. I don't know if it's an issue for you, but one part of this ride has a turn that feels like it goes on forever. It causes my stomach to drop, my heart to jump into my throat, and my red and white blood cells to separate. Also, and my party never warned me of this, Test Track has a similar never ending turn. Pretty much the only roller coaster I can stomach anymore is the Matterhorn at Disneyland.

I hate roller coasters, but I will ride BTMRR. It's the only coaster in the world (not just WDW) that I will ride (not even fond of the Barnstormer). There aren't that many huge drops, although there are a couple tight turns. For the easiest ride, ask for a front seat behind the "engine" - the drops and turns are much milder than in the back of the train.

Ohhh I love this thread! Yep count me in - another ride chicken!! What I love about BTMR is that it is mild enough for me to ride but fast and exciting enough to fall into the coaster category and I feel so proud that after many trips I finally overcome my fear and have a new exciting ride that is semi-rad!
There is only spot that comes close to that 'erg' stomach drop feeling - and if you breathe out steadily and forcefully (or scream! - everyone else on the ride will be) you will limit the ickiness

Another ride chicken here. I'm also afraid of heights and I will NOT ride Space Mtn. or any of the other coaster-type rides but I LOVE riding BTMRR. It is just such a fun ride. Every time I ride it, I laugh the whole time I'm on it. It is just sooooo much fun! :cool1:

Donna

Ride chicken here also. I HATE rollercoasters, but I rode BTMRR at Disneyland 5 or 6 times. I loved it!! It is jerky and fast, and I had to hold my just barely tall enough dd in the seat the whole time, but it was really fun. I wasn't scared at all. Try it!! I'm glad I did. :)

I also am not fond of rides that drop or invert me. To give you perspective, I won't go on R-n-Roller Coaster or Tower of Terror. Once got ill from Mission Space. I can manage Space Mountain but find it's more of a survival thing than something I enjoy. With all that said, I love Big Thunder. It's does go kind of fast, is a bit "herky-jerky"...not unlike how parts of Test Track (Epcot) or Dinosaur (AK) can be, and has drops - but those drops are relatively mild. Oddly enough, I find Primeval Whirl (AK) to be more difficult to ride than Big Thunder. Totally agree with others who've suggested checking out the videos on Youtube. I am still trying to get up the courage to try Everest!

I also am not fond of rides that drop or invert me. To give you perspective, I won't go on R-n-Roller Coaster or Tower of Terror. Once got ill from Mission Space. I can manage Space Mountain but find it's more of a survival thing than something I enjoy. With all that said, I love Big Thunder. It's does go kind of fast, is a bit "herky-jerky"...not unlike how parts of Test Track (Epcot) or Dinosaur (AK) can be, and has drops - but those drops are relatively mild. Oddly enough, I find Primeval Whirl (AK) to be more difficult to ride than Big Thunder. Totally agree with others who've suggested checking out the videos on Youtube. I am still trying to get up the courage to try Everest!

It's not odd that you find PW to be difficult. I will ride BTMRR, Space Mountain, Dinosaur and even Revenge of the Mummy at universal, but Primieval Whirl I won't even try. Spinning and going down a steep drop at the same time is not for me.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! I love this ride specifically because it's not your average rollercoaster.

All I'm gonna say is that there are many spots when your tush flies up out of your seat and loses contact with the vehicle.

If that doesn't scare you, you'll be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter