Big Thunder Mountain Railroad For a Ride Chicken?

Alice-in-wonder

DIS Veteran
I have never been on a roller coaster. How scary is it, and how high does it go...I really don't like heights.... I really want to try it and go on with my family. Is it that fast and scary? I really want to experience it with my family. by the way, I HATE ferris wheels because of the height and the stomach butterflies. Will I be able to do this? TIA!!! :) and LOL!

It does have 2 points where you do that 45 degree angle climb for a bit to get to the top of a big hill and then you go down. If heights are your things those might be rough. The rest of the ride is just "fast" but not really high up. Just windy.

Take a look at this video on youtube that shows you the ride from the perspective of a rider:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyTuBWxzSQA

1 piece of advice, if you are a bit timid and do decide to ride it you would be better off doing so during the day. It's a little big more "thrilling" at night in the semi-dark.

I am sort of a ride chicken, but love this attraction. The ride does have heights, dark areas, quick dips and sharp direction changes. It may not be for you.

I have never been on a roller coaster. How scary is it, and how high does it go...I really don't like heights.... I really want to try it and go on with my family. Is it that fast and scary? I really want to experience it with my family. by the way, I HATE ferris wheels because of the height and the stomach butterflies. Will I be able to do this? TIA!!! :) and LOL!

I LIKE roller coasters, so maybe my advice is not the best but, this a ride valid for kids and adults alike, so it is quite lame as roller coasters go (no inversions, no big drops, etc). May I suggest you check some videos in You Tube about the ride? That way you can make your own idea about it...

Regards,

From a ferris wheel, you really get the feeling of height as you are essentially hanging in mid air with nothing but a small steel cage around you. The theme of BTMR is a runaway mine train hurtling through a mountain. The difference on Big Thunder is you are never "out in the open" as you are surrounded by mountain-like terrain. Not trying to twist your arm, but this might reduce the fear factor for you. I don't do most roller-coaster type rides, but BTMR is a ton of fun and is one of my favorite attractions at WDW.:earsboy:

Also keep this in mind. The front of the coaster is much slower than the back of the coaster. You can request when being "seated" to sit towards the front. Most times they will make accommodations for you no problem.

BTMRR is just great. The only stomach butterflies you'll probably get is when you go up and down the little hills because your behind goes up in the air. Definitely watch YouTube videos to brief yourself, OandA posted a good one.

It's not particularly tall and there are no big drops, it's mostly just banked turns. It's probably the tamest of the Disney "coasters" and the gateway to bigger rides for a lot of people.

I was terrified of roller coasters when I was a kid, even though I'd never actually ridden one. I rode Big Thunder when I was 8 and absolutely loved it. I've been a coaster enthusiast ever since.

I am a ride chicken. LOL I should have put that in all caps. It's not a good ride. Sorry, but I hated it. Scared the...out of me. Not as bad as Space Mountain, but still not something I will ever ride again.

Saying that, if you are up for it and the people you are going with are supportive...go for it.

I gave up riding it -- too jerky for me. I do not like roller coasters and was unhappy when they turned the wonderful old scenic mine train into BTMRR at DL. As coasters go, it's a small one, and it's over pretty quickly so it might be good one to try. It's kind of cute, altho stuff goes by so fast you don't get to see it very well. It might be worth a try, but then again, you won't be missing out on much if you pass it up (if there's a long wait in line, it may not be worth the payoff). It is one of the few roller coasters that I used to be able to ride (but not especially enjoyable).

I also dislike ferris wheels and went to WDW several times before I would try BTR and now it is one of my favorite.

Splash mountain, however, is a different story...did it once and embarrasingly, I cried. Like, cried cried, like a big ol baby. My then 8 year old was crying and all I could say was "I'm so sorry hunny, wish we could get off too" :rotfl2:

Compared to a ferris wheel BTM has less of the height aspect but more of the "butterflies" aspect. As far as rollercoasters go though the butterflies induced are relatively mild.

I hate thrill ride but enjoy this coaster. It's fast but doesn't have any drops that make you cringe.

BTMRR doesn't have any drops that give me that butterfly stomach feeling, and I am a ride chicken. It IS fast and jerky, especially if you sit in the back. It is one of my favorite rides! I would definitely try it once. I waited two years to try Space Mountain and I love that one too now.

I used to be a ride chicken and I still don't do big roller coasters, but BTMRR is different for me. It's one of my favorite rides, in fact, we go directly to BTM when we're at MK for rope drop. We usually get 2 or 3 consecutive rides in before the line builds up. for me the difference is what previous posters have mentioned...you don't get the sensation of being up high and hanging out over everything. There is usually something around you. I like it much better than Space Mtn. although I go on that too. On Space Mtn. I still feel like I'm up high. I also don't like Ferris Wheels. I haven't been on one in years, but I'd probably go on one again. Good luck, I hope you try it.

I'm a chicken too.. Last week, my family talked me into Space Mountain at DL. I thought I would die.... SO, would this one scare me to death too?

Also keep this in mind. The front of the coaster is much slower than the back of the coaster. You can request when being "seated" to sit towards the front. Most times they will make accommodations for you no problem.

I gave up riding it -- too jerky for me.

I am a total roller coaster chicken, and I enjoyed BTMRR. The comment about the front of the coaster was huge for me - I sat in the second seat the first time and near the back the next time, and there was a huge difference.

I did not get the butterflies in my stomach on Big Thunder, but it is very jerky, and in the beginning, very noisy (that bothered DS). That being said, I have to say that I got a bigger pit in stomach on the first drop on Barnstormer than I did at any point on BTMRR. I know, Barnstormer making me nervous tells you how much I don't like roller coasters!:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter