Big Hero Six

Making-of-Big-Hero-6-4.jpg

Making of Big Hero 6

Watch Making of Disney’s upcoming animated film Big Hero 6. Get a peek behind the Disney curtain Walt Disney Animation Studio Chief Technology Officer and the directors of ‘Big Hero 6′ how Disney rendered its new animated film on a 55,000-core supercomputer.

Congrats Disney and the Big Hero 6 Team! BH6 has passed $500 Million dollars and is on its way to $600 Million!

Here is what they had to say at BoxOfficeMojo.com today, Sunday, February 8th: "Big Hero 6 earned $12.7 million in 33 markets this weekend, which brings its international total to $286.6 million. It also crossed $500 million worldwide, making it Disney's fourth 2014 release to reach that milestone. The movie still has France and China on the way, and has a realistic chance of ultimately finishing above $600 million."

In the modern era (2007 to present) it is the number 2 Disney Animation Studios film after Frozen and ahead of Tangled. Worldwide it is number 3 after Tangled, but will certainly pass it to be number 2.

BigHero 6 is now the 3rd biggest Disney animation movie, passing Beauty & The Beast.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1844163/bi...tions-third-most-successful-film-of-all-time/
Oscar nominee “Big Hero 6” is on track this weekend to become the No. 3 all-time domestic earner for Walt Disney Animation Studios, passing the $218.9 million of “Beauty and the Beast” (after “Frozen” and “The Lion King”).

http://www.inquisitr.com/1844163/bi...tions-third-most-successful-film-of-all-time/
Big Hero 6, a largely delightful crowd-pleaser from Disney Animation, was always expected to do well at the box office, but it was hard to foresee that it would one day brush shoulders with the likes of The Lion King and its contemporary, Frozen, as one of the studio’s highest-grossing films of all time.

There's something I don't understand. So BH6 is the third all time domestic earner for WDAS, and yet it didn't meet expectations at the studio? Give me a break. I understand animation is becoming really expensive and advertising takes a huge chunk of money as well, but I can't understand how BH6 is underwhelming, considering the films' box office is above most contemporary features' numbers.

There's something I don't understand. So BH6 is the third all time domestic earner for WDAS, and yet it didn't meet expectations at the studio? Give me a break. I understand animation is becoming really expensive and advertising takes a huge chunk of money as well, but I can't understand how BH6 is underwhelming, considering the films' box office is above most contemporary features' numbers.

A real pitfall of organizational performance is considering every unexpected success to set a new bar for expectations, regardless of circumstances. BH6 is a victim of Frozen's astronomical success; bean counters are notorious for never looking at something like that and saying "wow, that was a once in a lifetime phenomenon, we better not let it skew the data."

Disney wasn't the only victim of this, though. The whole industry seemed to think that the market was going to explode after not only the Frozen thing happened but The Lego Movie greatly exceeded expectations. All year as animated movies were released they seemed to consider their performances to be letdowns, even when they didn't look like it on paper.

A real pitfall of organizational performance is considering every unexpected success to set a new bar for expectations, regardless of circumstances. BH6 is a victim of Frozen's astronomical success; bean counters are notorious for never looking at something like that and saying "wow, that was a once in a lifetime phenomenon, we better not let it skew the data."

Disney wasn't the only victim of this, though. The whole industry seemed to think that the market was going to explode after not only the Frozen thing happened but The Lego Movie greatly exceeded expectations. All year as animated movies were released they seemed to consider their performances to be letdowns, even when they didn't look like it on paper.

That's true. It was kind of surprising to read so many articles on DreamWorks poor performance in recent years. I thought they were doing just fine, but I guess 200 mill in domestic earnings is not enough anymore.

That's true. It was kind of surprising to read so many articles on DreamWorks poor performance in recent years. I thought they were doing just fine, but I guess 200 mill in domestic earnings is not enough anymore.
DreamWorks is a small independent company; they have to make a LOT of movies to remain viable (they released 3 last year); they could not do what Pixar did recently and take time off to regroup following some talent losses. They are also more vulnerable to the losses resulting from movies that under perform, and although it's true expectations are too high in general they've had more than their share of movies that didn't do well lately (like everything except How To Train Your Dragon 2). Even though they've never had a monster bomb like John Carter it doesn't take as big a disappointment to hurt them.

I did a Google search for "Big Hero 6 underperformed" and got, wait for it... 4 hits. ALL OF THEM are a for a video blog by Grace Randolph called Beyond the Trailer. She said that BH 6 opened 10 mil below Frozen and Lego and this is "a sign of dark times to come for the movie business." That is actually funny it is so ridiculous. (A search for "Big Hero 6 is a hit" got 2,650 hits.)

Every legitimate movie reporter said it was a hit, a blockbuster, highly acclaimed hit, a big gamble that paid off, etc. It made more than $56 million opening weekend and continued on from there. And this with an unknown Marvel story and characters. It is well over $521 million and is expected to top $600 million when it is finished. This is fantastic for an untried and unknown non-sequel.

Check out the info at Wikipedia on both it's box-office results and critical response. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Hero_6_(film)

"Disney always had confidence in the film, granting it a $165 million budget from the outset, and it delivered the goods with a $56.2 million opening weekend. But where the film really delivered was in having a long shelf life and doing well overseas. Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1844163/bi...cessful-film-of-all-time/#K66z1rFOee8KyDjv.99

And here is a nice article from Valentine's day in Variety:
http://variety.com/2015/artisans/ne...talks-sequel-key-to-films-success-1201433844/

Big Hero 6 is doing great! If it has long legs it will do great. I think it will do well overseas and become another Disney movie over $600 million worldwide. http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...g-hero-6-the-years-quietest-box-office-smash/

Here is an interesting article on how Big Hero 6 is quietly becoming a big hit. "Walt Disney’s Big Hero 6 has crossed $100 million domestic on its tenth day, which makes it the fastest-grossing Disney animated (non-Pixar) film outside of Frozen (The Lion King was at $104m on its eleventh day, which was July 4th, 1994). The film dropped 35% on its second weekend, just a shade higher than Wreck it Ralph (-32% in weekend two) and earned $36.01m over its second weekend, which is the biggest second weekend gross for a Disney animated film ever. "

I did a Google search for "Big Hero 6 underperformed" and got, wait for it... 4 hits. ALL OF THEM are a for a video blog by Grace Randolph called Beyond the Trailer. She said that BH 6 opened 10 mil below Frozen and Lego and this is "a sign of dark times to come for the movie business." That is actually funny it is so ridiculous. (A search for "Big Hero 6 is a hit" got 2,650 hits.)

Every legitimate movie reporter said it was a hit, a blockbuster, highly acclaimed hit, a big gamble that paid off, etc. It made more than $56 million opening weekend and continued on from there. And this with an unknown Marvel story and characters. It is well over $521 million and is expected to top $600 million when it is finished. This is fantastic for an untried and unknown non-sequel.

Check out the info at Wikipedia on both it's box-office results and critical response. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Hero_6_(film)

"Disney always had confidence in the film, granting it a $165 million budget from the outset, and it delivered the goods with a $56.2 million opening weekend. But where the film really delivered was in having a long shelf life and doing well overseas. Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1844163/bi...cessful-film-of-all-time/#K66z1rFOee8KyDjv.99

And here is a nice article from Valentine's day in Variety:
http://variety.com/2015/artisans/ne...talks-sequel-key-to-films-success-1201433844/

I said that because not long ago, I heard rumors of Burbank being dissatisfied with the film's domestic numbers. Apparently Iger was underwhelmed. But hey, they were just rumors after all, and I apologise for taking them too seriously ;)

I am sure they ALWAYS want the numbers to be better! :)

Animation is a funny thing. Look at the domestic grosses. Lion King is number 2 after Frozen, and Lion King isn't that far ahead of Big Hero 6! Animated movies, other than Frozen, Shrek, and several Pixar films, are huge hits if they reach 200 million. I think this is true because the typical audience is limited. Maybe things will change. EVERYONE in the motion picture business is analyzing Frozen to see what might be reproduceable. Same thing with Avatar, but it is a moving mark. I imagine there are talks on how to turn Frozen 2 into the next Avatar. :) Do they want every movie to aim for the Billion plus mark? You bet! Some might interpret that as dissatisfaction if it misses. This isn't true. They know the super hits won't come every day. They still understand that Big Hero 6 is a huge hit, even if they wanted Frozen numbers.

They won't admit it, but they could really care less if it is a giant hit, as long as the movie pays for itself and kids love it and buy the toys. If it is liked enough to sell toys, Disney will make a fortune on the property.

And the Oscar goes to... Big Hero 6! Congrats to everyone at Disney Animation!

And Feast won best short film, too!

Great wins for Disney! I think they have proven that they are back at the forefront of animation, as they should be.

Just watched at home on dvd. Loved it just as much as on the big screen. Such a sweet film. Really trying to find some San Fransokyo art prints. My google prowess is failing me!

I have yet to see this film but my brother and sister were both in tears and told me that they adored it. Even a friend of mine who isn't a big Disney fan says that it's incredible. Can't wait to check it out for myself. Delighted to see that it won an Oscar too!

Big Hero was #4 at the international box office and set an opening record for Disney Animation in China. There is no doubt that Big Hero will pass Tangled and reach 600 million. Per Screen Daily on March 1st:

WALT DISNEY STUDIOS MOTION PICTURES INTERNATIONAL
http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/fifty-shades-rules-intl-on-343m/5083764.article
Oscar winner Big Hero 6 grossed $21.6m from 25 territories to bump the haul up to $351.3m internationally and $572.2m worldwide.
China was the key driver as the animation debuted on $14.8m for a record launch for a Disney Animation title.
Japan has generated $73.9m, the UK $27.1m, Russia $20.2m, South Korea $20m, Australia $17.4m and Mexico $17m.

In Japan it continues to rake in the cash and should for some time to come!

Wow, I certainly didn't expect BH6 to be the way it was but my goodness that was a great film. My siblings and I were crying a lot during that film, heartbreaking and heartwarming as well. I wish I had my own Baymax.<3

Big Hero 6 is over $600 million and climbing thanks to China and Japan. In China it opened higher than any other Disney Animation,including Frozen! In it's second week it continues strongly and is already the 2nd biggest Disney or Pixar release ever in China! It has also made $75.1 million in Japan and continues to have legs 10 weeks after it's debut there. I am not sure where it will end; maybe $650 million!?

‘Big Hero 6′ Hugs $605M Global Box Office, Now Disney’s 3rd-Biggest Animated Title
http://deadline.com/2015/03/big-her...ilm-ever-international-box-office-1201388358/

"Thrust across the goal line by its strong performance in China, Disney’s Big Hero 6 crossed the $600M mark worldwide. It’s the studio’s fourth 2014 film to reach the milestone, and the 22nd ever. After adding $19.9M globally this frame, the Oscar winner’s total is now $604.8M ($221.3M domestic/$383.5M international). That pushes it past Tangled to become the third-highest-grossing Disney animated release of all time behind all-time animated box-office champ Frozen and The Lion King. The big, mushy ‘bot is still playing in 25 territories in its 20th week on screens."

And here is an interesting article (SPOILER ALERT):

5 Reasons Why Big Hero 6 Belongs Among The Pantheon of Disney Classics
I'm convinced we'll be talking about Hiro and Baymax for years to come.
http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2015/0...elongs-among-the-pantheon-of-disney-classics/

5. Big Hero 6 contains some of the most appealing characters Disney has introduced in a long time.
4. The self-esteem message in Big Hero 6 contains more substance than anything else in our culture today.
3. Big Hero 6 appeals to boys better than most of Disney’s prior attempts.
2. There are elements of countercultural conservatism in Big Hero 6.
1. Big Hero 6 conveys a message about innovation that would make Walt himself proud.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter