Big Hero Six

Perhaps I'm a contrarian, but I really didn't like Lego all that much. Cute and creative, but nothing I want to see again.

I also would defend Brave over Wreck-it-Ralph. Ralph had a very original story line and was a great nostalgia trip for those my age that remember those video games from our youth. But compare some of the other pieces - cinematography/visuals/animation quality Brave wins hands down. Music score likewise is Brave by a landslide.

I would agree. Lego was funny and cute, but a great movie it most definitely was not in animation or story. Funny and popular, yes, deep and great, no. Wreck it Ralph was a great movie, but not as good as Brave or Big Hero 6. I think Wreck it Ralph and Lego are somewhat of a step down. Good original ideas but the story is only so much.

I read an article yesterday about how Incredibles was so much better than Big Hero 6. Incredibles was great, but I think in several ways Big Hero 6 is a step up. Incredibles is humorous and fun, but Big Hero 6 has a better story, better villain, better animation, better setting, and much better science fiction elements.

I also think favorite existing movies generally become better in our minds than they really were originally.

Perhaps I'm a contrarian, but I really didn't like Lego all that much. Cute and creative, but nothing I want to see again.

I also would defend Brave over Wreck-it-Ralph. Ralph had a very original story line and was a great nostalgia trip for those my age that remember those video games from our youth. But compare some of the other pieces - cinematography/visuals/animation quality Brave wins hands down. Music score likewise is Brave by a landslide.

I agree that Lego Movie wasn't that good.

Though I personally disagree in regards of Brave. Though visually impressive, I found the plot pretty dissapointing. It could've been Disney's How to Train your Dragon, but instead it's a movie about the relationship between a princess and her mother. I'm sure that's appealing enough for many people, but I personally thought that the movie didn't meet the expectations plot-wise. Even the creators themselves have stated how difficult it was for them to write Brave.

better villain

While I disagree with pretty much everything you said, I can't let this one go without rebuttal. The BH6 antagonist was an absolute weakness of the movie, second only to the lack of original story. He was practically a Scooby Doo villain of the week. All that was missing was hearing him at the end growling "and I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you kids and that darn robot". Syndrome from The Incredibles was a better movie villain in every conceivable way. For that matter so were the villains of The Lego Movie and Wreck It Ralph (but not, incidentally, the villain of Brave).

tumblr_m0c6c8j4HU1qhigt0o1_500.gif

While I disagree with pretty much everything you said, I can't let this one go without rebuttal. The BH6 antagonist was an absolute weakness of the movie, second only to the lack of original story. He was practically a Scooby Doo villain of the week. All that was missing was hearing him at the end growling "and I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you kids and that darn robot". Syndrome from The Incredibles was a better movie villain in every conceivable way. For that matter so were the villains of The Lego Movie and Wreck It Ralph (but not, incidentally, the villain of Brave).

This is where we agree to disagree. :)

The villain in BH6 was creepy and unique with his microbots. I think he was very good. While the kid who wants to be a superhero and then wants revenge was not all that great. He was funny, as was the movie, but not very high on any Disney villains list people make. In fact, I don't remember him being on any of those lists at all. I may have just missed Him. In fact, the robot creation is far better as a villain than the villain!

I will give you that Wreck it Ralph villain was good and a nice twist. And creepy.

Brave is an absolutely awesome mother/daughter movie! Unique in that sense and a good step for Disney with a princess who isn't interested in love. Not to mention beautiful and a fun story. Very deserving of the win. Not the biggest villain in the world, I will give you that, but that wasn't the point. Frozen proved that a great Disney movie doesn't have to have a great villain. Although you could say that fear is a great villain.

Big Hero 6 is doing great! If it has long legs it will do great. I think it will do well overseas and become another Disney movie over $600 million worldwide.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...g-hero-6-the-years-quietest-box-office-smash/

Here is an interesting article on how Big Hero 6 is quietly becoming a big hit.

"Walt Disney’s Big Hero 6 has crossed $100 million domestic on its tenth day, which makes it the fastest-grossing Disney animated (non-Pixar) film outside of Frozen (The Lion King was at $104m on its eleventh day, which was July 4th, 1994). The film dropped 35% on its second weekend, just a shade higher than Wreck it Ralph (-32% in weekend two) and earned $36.01m over its second weekend, which is the biggest second weekend gross for a Disney animated film ever. "

I expect its final numbers to be between Tangled and Wreck-it-Ralph, mostly due to its competition.

I just saw the movie today and I loved it! Baymax was a truly lovable character, and the other characters made a great team. It was visually stunning (what a great work they've done with San Fransokyo!) and overall I think it was a great addition to the Disney Animation catalogue. A couple of things could've been better plotted, but overall I was satisfied with what I saw.

I was hesitant to say it before, but now I really think Disney is going through a second renaissance. Can't wait to see if Zootopia and Moana follow the trend of great animated features.

Baymax is one of my favorite Disney characters of all time! Everything he did was so sweet and funny! All the characters were totally awesome, but I really loved Baymax.

I went to go see it on Sunday and it was great! It was such a cute movie. I might have to go see it again which is a first for me seeing as I never watch movies in the theatre more than once. But some "adults" were making a ruckus in the auditorium so I want to watch it again with no distractions.

Such a great movie. I hope it's another big hit for Disney, so they'll continue to make movies like this! I love the Disney Princess movies so much, but I like to see Disney trying new things and exploring new types of storytelling.

I think most likely you get Lego, Dragons, Big Hero 6, one of Book of Life or The Box Trolls, and one of the foreign films on the list like The Tale of the Princess Kaguya. They might leave out both Book and Trolls and go for two foreign films. The only two I feel certain about are Lego (it was that good) and Big Hero 6 (because they will not leave Disney out).

Since we talked about this back when BH6 came out, the 5 features I first listed above were the Golden Globe nominees and How To Train Your Dragon 2 was the surprise winner over favorite The Lego Movie last night.

I cannot believe How To Train Your Dragon 2 won over Lego and Big Hero!! That is ridiculous! It wasn't in the same league as the other two movies and it wasn't nearly as good as the first HTTYD, which was great. A very good movie, just not like the ground breaking Lego and Big Hero. Both were excellent and unique.

Ah well, Big Hero is doing fine at the box office and the toys are moving well too. I think it is going to clear $500 million worldwide.

I cannot believe How To Train Your Dragon 2 won over Lego and Big Hero!! That is ridiculous! It wasn't in the same league as the other two movies and it wasn't nearly as good as the first HTTYD, which was great. A very good movie, just not like the ground breaking Lego and Big Hero. Both were excellent and unique.

Ah well, Big Hero is doing fine at the box office and the toys are moving well too. I think it is going to clear $500 million worldwide.

The number 1 complaint against BH6 from all corners was that it was predictable and derivative; funny to hear you say ground breaking and unique.

I had (1) Lego, (2) Dragon 2, (3) Book of Life, (4) BH6, then everything else, then Legends of Oz somewhere down with the direct to DVD movies.

I agree Dragon 1 was better; I thought it should have won the awards over TS3 in 2010.

The number 1 complaint against BH6 from all corners was that it was predictable and derivative; funny to hear you say ground breaking and unique.

I had (1) Lego, (2) Dragon 2, (3) Book of Life, (4) BH6, then everything else, then Legends of Oz somewhere down with the direct to DVD movies.

I agree Dragon 1 was better; I thought it should have won the awards over TS3 in 2010.

Did we watch the same movie!?! If you've seen one marvel animated movie with a very diverse in both gender and ethnicity story of science nerds set in a mash up of Japanese & San Francisco with good sci-fi elements, ground breaking animation, an amazing character in Baymax, and the girls aren't love interests or need saving - you've seen them all.

Lego was very unique and funny but not very deep. It was one long funny joke.

We do agree on Dragon 1 and TS3. TS3 was great but the first HTTYD was fantastic and should have won. Like HTTYD 2, TS3 won because they considered prior material instead of just taking the movie on its own merits.

My review is in this thread, page 4. I did compliment the city and the ground breaking animation (which Dragons had as well, better I think). Disney did score a popular character in Baymax.

The diversity was forced, they changed the story to get it. It made no difference in the movie what any character's race or gender was, even if they looked like a college marketing pamphlet's dream splash page.

The girls were not love interests, they were barely interests at all; all of the characters were wasted except Hiro and Baymax. And maybe Fred, but TJ Miller was basically playing the same character he does in (you guessed it) Dragons.

Big Hero 6 just announced as one of the Academy Award Nominees for Best Animated film. Not unexpected.

However, The Lego Movie is not on the list!!!:mad:
IMO I thought it was way better than BH6 and one of the best films, animated or otherwise of 2014.

Big Hero 6 just announced as one of the Academy Award Nominees for Best Animated film. Not unexpected.

However, The Lego Movie is not on the list!!!:mad:
IMO I thought it was way better than BH6 and one of the best films, animated or otherwise of 2014.

Yep, just came here to publish the list. There will be a lot of discussion about Lego being left off.

There are a few minutes in the movie that I wondered about that could have disqualified it as an animated feature. If that wasn't the reason then I think this is one of the biggest oversights I've seen by the academy (or perhaps snubs; maybe they were determined not to honor a movie named The Lego Movie). I'm also disappointed The Book of Life was left off. It was a genuine cultural exploration, refreshing in an age when everyone just measures a movie by how many "diverse" characters are in it.

Animated feature film

"Big Hero 6"
"The Boxtrolls"
"How To Train Your Dragon 2"
"Song of the Sea"
"The Tale of the Princess Kaguya"

Yep, just came here to publish the list. There will be a lot of discussion about Lego being left off.

There are a few minutes in the movie that I wondered about that could have disqualified it as an animated feature. If that wasn't the reason then I think this is one of the biggest oversights I've seen by the academy (or perhaps snubs; maybe they were determined not to honor a movie named The Lego Movie). I'm also disappointed The Book of Life was left off. It was a genuine cultural exploration, refreshing in an age when everyone just measures a movie by how many "diverse" characters are in it.

Animated feature film

"Big Hero 6"
"The Boxtrolls"
"How To Train Your Dragon 2"
"Song of the Sea"
"The Tale of the Princess Kaguya"

As much as I think Big Hero 6 is the clear leader and an awesome movie, I must agree with you. Compared to the other movies on this list it is an egregious error that The Lego Movie was not at the very least nominated. Had it been nominated, I would have thought the race would have been between BH6 and TLM. However, I thought this for the Golden Globes as well, so what do I know! :)

Technically speaking, I think BH6 is arguably the most technologically innovative/complex film out of that list. HTTYD2 has a very basic plot, though it was very well executed (Although I agree that the first film was better) and it feels more cohesive than BH6.

I personally liked BH6 better, though I can see why Dragon had a better reception.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter