Between Christmas and New Year....your best tips! :)

pam66

<font color=indigo>Cue the twilight zone music!<br
Hi everyone!

We are seriously thinking of going to WDW the week between Christmas and New Year in 2019. Probably the 26th to the 30th or 31st. Not planning to stay there New Year's Eve. I know it's a crazy stupid busy time, but I am a teacher and my daughter will be in college and that is our only common time to go other than summer. We have been lucky enough to have been several times in the summer but would love to see it at Christmas once. I get that the crowds are huge but we have handled them in the summer and don't feel the need to hit all the rides this time.
So...to the point of this thread....I just would love any tips or suggestions from you all who have experienced Disney at Christmas time and what may have worked for you. Or didn't. Thanks so much!

Since you never have been, I would focus on the holiday specific offerings. Focus on the storytellers in Epcot and the Candlelight Processional. See the daytime parade at MK (it will be crowded), which is the Christmas parade. It will be crowded, so expect not to do everything, but have a plan. In the plan, set up your FP+ on the attractions you really want to see. As a family, we always go either Christmas or Thanksgiving and I still always focus on the holiday specific stuff.

Summer crowds do not equal Christmas to New Years crowds. Very, very much apples to oranges. Summer is actually sort of the "slow" season, Christmas is the busiest week of the entire year at WDW.

Having said that, go!! DW works for a school district too, so we follow that calendar. We're many time summer veterans and have done Xmas to NYE twice...2015 and just last year in 2017. We had a wonderful time.

Best tip I can offer...patience. Just have patience. Have the holiday spirit. It's crowded, very crowded. The hub in MK and a few other isolated spots can become "wall to wall" people at times, but it's not that way all the time everywhere. Just very crowded. Don't have high expectations for the number of rides you'll get on, use FP+ wisely and just enjoy the atmosphere. I can't wait to do it again!!!

We went this past year the first week of January (January 2-7), which is also a really busy time. It was very busy, but we also had a great time! We usually go in October or November as a comparison. Here's what we noticed:

1. I would encourage you to schedule some table service meals. It's nice to sit down out of the crowds for a bit and not feel like you have to hunt for a table/rush to finish to give someone else your table. When you do eat QS meals, eat at off-time (e.g. early/late compared to when everyone else would be eating)

2. Rope drop or stay late, but in the middle of the day when the crowds are the worst, find things to do that you won't have to wait long for (e.g. take a break from the parks and check out the christmas decorations at other resorts/have a meal at a resort, see shows in the parks, etc.)

3. The only place where the crowd was an absolute nightmare was the Festival of Fantasy parade at MK (it is probably the Christmas Parade the week you are talking, it was Festival of Fantasy New Years week). We had a great spot for the parade, but afterwards that stretch around liberty square going toward fantasyland was a sea of humanity with everyone trying to go different directions - add in strollers and scooters and whew!. If you really want to see the parade, I would suggest ducking out through toward adventureland afterwards! We formed a human train with the 6 of us to navigate through the crowd and it took us 15 minutes to get from the area where the Liberty Bell is to the entrance to the Liberty Square Riverboat! We stood there for a while (because we decided we'd ride the boat after the parade ended) and it took a long time for the crowd to disperse!

4. Use FP+ wisely for the things you really want to do

5. Expect it to busy and chaotic - expect that not everyone responds well to it being busy like that and do your best to not let it get to you. We tried to laugh off silly things that happened/rude people because inevitably that is going to happen and why let it get you down!

6. All the added touches at Christmas time are really fun, so if you can be patient with the crowds and not expect to do everything it's a fun time to go!

My best tip:

Keep going in the Summer. If you HAVE to go in during the busiest week of the year, then just go into it with eyes wide open. I would plan to rope drop every day, and get there early. Make sure you are on top of your timing, so be ready to make your ADR's the morning of 180 days out, and 60 for FP's.

Friends of ours have gone all times of the year, and this past year they went the week before Christmas (wasn't even Christmas thru New Year's crowds yet), and they absolutely regretted it. Crowds were just too much. They said overall they had fun, but the Mom just felt like crying a lot of the time because everything was just so hard to do with so many people.

Dan

Keep in mind that SWGE might be open which could add a whole other level to the crowds. It is a beautiful time of year to go, but pack your patience.

Tips that saved our 2015 Christmas week trip:

1) stay in a hotel that is as close to your preferred parks as possible. The more you can take ANY form of transportation out of the equation, the better. We stayed at BWI so we could walk to two parks and it saved our trip as buses, boats and monorails were packed to the gills.

2) go at RD, get out by lunch or soon after

3) avoid MK. Yes, I said it. If I ever went this week again I wouldn't even step foot in MK. It's THAT crowded.

4) If you must use a bus to get to a park, add 30 minutes to an hour more to transport time than you usually would. We were late for MK RD one day because our bus was in bumper to bumper traffic.

5) Visit the resorts - all of the deluxe resorts are gorgeously decorated. Enjoy everything your resort has to offer.

6) Do things off the beaten path - we did Wild Africa Trek this week and it was perfect (though quite expensive). We visited AK and never encountered crowds by doing this tour. Granted, we didn't do any rides there, but it was a great experience. We also did HDDR and a private "sleigh" ride. It was a wonderful, no-crowd, evening.

7) Do not go to DS. I repeat, do not go to DS.

We've gone over Christmas break the past couple years.. and we are going again this year. We have always had a lot of fun, but yeah, it's insanely crowded. So crowded you can barely walk down main street most of the day.

My best advice is to set your expectations. Think about the worst summer crowds you have seen and literally double or triple it. It will be that crowded... It's nothing like the summer, even the highest crowds in the summer are nothing like christmas/NYE week. Another tip: taking mid-day breaks helps with the crowds. Rope drop in the morning (MK will be open at 7am each day for EMH), leave mid-day, and then come back in the evening...

I will say this... I think every WDW fan should go at that specific time of year at least once (including at least one NYE). I've been twice. The sea of humanity is amazing, and frustrating. lol

Park hopping at that time of year, for me, is a must. I've hit a wall before where I cannot do a certain park because it is an absolute madhouse (here's lookin' at you MK). So, my advice; park hop, ADR's for anything you think you'll want to do, really plan your Fastpasses and get on the ball the second you can book, take the time to sit different places and just take it all in, do the candlelight processional, use rope drop, take a break from the parks and go check out the hotels all decorated for Christmas, take your patience (and your sense of humor ;)) but know your limit, and the limit of those you are with.

We will be there during this season for the first time this year. Dec 26-Jan 2. I’m a little nervous but also excited, we love the Christmas stuff! I am spending more money this trip to hopefully make a couple things a little easier- I have booked a fireworks dessert party at MK for dec 30 and we also booked a candlelight procession meal so we don’t have to stand in line forever. We are DVC so we get to go a lot so I’m not so worried about rides. Going to enjoy meals and resort decorations

Tips that saved our 2015 Christmas week trip:

1) stay in a hotel that is as close to your preferred parks as possible. The more you can take ANY form of transportation out of the equation, the better. We stayed at BWI so we could walk to two parks and it saved our trip as buses, boats and monorails were packed to the gills.

2) go at RD, get out by lunch or soon after

3) avoid MK. Yes, I said it. If I ever went this week again I wouldn't even step foot in MK. It's THAT crowded.

4) If you must use a bus to get to a park, add 30 minutes to an hour more to transport time than you usually would. We were late for MK RD one day because our bus was in bumper to bumper traffic.

5) Visit the resorts - all of the deluxe resorts are gorgeously decorated. Enjoy everything your resort has to offer.

6) Do things off the beaten path - we did Wild Africa Trek this week and it was perfect (though quite expensive). We visited AK and never encountered crowds by doing this tour. Granted, we didn't do any rides there, but it was a great experience. We also did HDDR and a private "sleigh" ride. It was a wonderful, no-crowd, evening.

7) Do not go to DS. I repeat, do not go to DS.
We love Boardwalk....thinking of staying there again because of the location. How is at Christmas? I am also thinking of Wilderness Lodge because it looks beautiful at Christmas

We love Boardwalk....thinking of staying there again because of the location. How is at Christmas? I am also thinking of Wilderness Lodge because it looks beautiful at Christmas

Boardwalk is beautiful at Christmas. They do a lovely job of decorating while staying true to the Boardwalk theming. There is also a big tree on the village green. If you stay there, I recommend also walking over to the Beach Club where they have a large, chocolate carousel in the lobby - it's stunning! And, as I mentioned, it's just great being able to walk to both DHS and EP.

We stayed at WL the week before Christmas last year - it's AMAZINGLY beautiful. I think I could just sit in the lobby and look at the Christmas decorations and not do anything else while staying there! The nice thing about WL, as you know, is being able to boat to MK (and CR and Ft. W). We made it a point, last year, to really take advantage of that location and booked Cali Grill for dinner one evening (with a monorail tour - GF is stunning and Trader Sam's at Poly is lots of fun!) and did HDDR and a sleigh ride on another evening. I think the key, in addition to a good park touring strategy, is to really take advantage of the location of whichever resort you choose and find fun things to do "close to home".

I thought this place was full of Disney veterans and die-hards. Don’t go at Christmas time?? Pish!! That’s more insane than the insane crowds between Christmas and New Years!

But seriously......

We are going back for our third post-Christmas to New Years trip. Not because we can’t go other times (we were just there a few weeks ago), but because it’s that much fun, crowds and all. My wife is a teacher beholden to the summers and school vacations as well. Yeah, when she was off for a few years we loved seeing the parks and resorts in their Christmas glory the week after Thanksgiving, but now that we can’t go then hitting WDW between Christmas and New Years is a perfectly fine alternative. Heck, with the fantastic insanity of NYE it’s even better!!

Mind you, it’s not easy. You have to pack your patience, put on your holiday spirit, plan, plan, plan.....and embrace the insanity! IF you can do that you WILL have a GREAT time!

Tips, you say?

Rope drop/morning EMH every park. Despite all the people that will be at WDW that time of year those first few hours in the parks are still incredibly productive. Once the crowds arrive do some of the second tier attractions in whatever park you are in, but purposefully take things at a slower pace, soaking in the atmosphere, decorations, and Holiday happenings. Then, when the midday crowds hit their peak, GET OUT! Give yourselves a break from the crowds and insanity of the parks. Weather good? Hit your resort for a swim if you want. Spend time visiting resorts to see decorations. Down time is key so you’ll be relaxed and happy while all the people stuck in the crowded parks get crankier and crankier. Have yourself a nice dinner on the early side outside of the parks, unless there is a restaurant in the parks you really want to go to. Make your meals at sits downs and have an ADR so you don’t have to deal with annoying counter service crowds. Relaxed, refreshed and filled with food and Yuletide spirit, as well as armed with proper expectations and frame of mind, you are ready to hop to another park, FP+ in hand. Here’s where you just take in the spectacle, the crowds, the decor, the atmosphere while you ride a few of your favorite rides and take in one of the fireworks shows. Since you will be rested, rather than melting down like everyone else, you can close down the parks, maybe take in an attraction or two if the lines have died down.

Stay in a convenient on-site hotel.

Rent a car. It will help to make sure you get to all the must see resorts (all the MK monorail resorts, all the Epcot resorts, Wilderness Lodge, and then some).

Make ADRs at 180+ days, and FP+ at 60+ days.

Go to the MK on the 30th, when they do the full NYE dry run.

If you stay, Epcot is the place to be on NYE.

We go at this time every year and will be returning again this year. We love it. Learn how to manipulate MDE to get multiple fast passes and mobile order to avoid quick service lines.

Wrong, wrong wrong... Have park hoppers and head over to MK at rope drop and late at night. On Dec. 30th MK stays open until 2:00 am.

Rope drop/morning EMH every park. Despite all the people that will be at WDW that time of year those first few hours in the parks are still incredibly productive

This, this, this... Get to the parks early, Fast Pass back to back to back at about 2 hours after park opening... Head out of the parks when it gets crowded and go enjoy the resorts or Disney Springs.. Use rolling fast passes for the evenings.

It can make your stay much easier if you book an MK resort or Epcot resort. Makes it easy to return to the hotel without having to take a bus!

I don't even think you need to rope drop during Xmas. We never do it, regardless of time of year. We don't find it valuable, and have no desire to get up early on vacation. Use FP+ wisely and you can still enjoy plenty of attractions, even mid day.

The cardinal WDW sin, any time of year IMHO, is showing up to the parks after 11:00, at least if your goal is to have an enjoyable, productive time in the parks! Of course terms like need, valuable, enjoyable, plenty and productive are subjective, and everyone has their own idea of what works for them.....

That said, I don’t think you will find too many people advocating the sleep in strategy during the busiest time of the year! Yeah, the beauty of FP+ is that you will always be guaranteed of getting on some attractions without having to wait in lines. However, you can get on sooooo many more attractions without waiting in lines if you take advantage of those first few hours. Not only that, but you can enjoy the parks when they aren’t wall to wall people, which can greatly add to the atmosphere. Yeah, sleep is nice but with all we spend on a WDW vacation I’d rather sacrifice a couple hours of sleep to maximize the use of both the parks and the resorts.

Of course that’s the great thing about WDW....there are a myriad of ways for all different kinds of people to have a great time!

The cardinal WDW sin, any time of year IMHO, is showing up to the parks after 11:00, at least if your goal is to have an enjoyable, productive time in the parks! Of course terms like need, valuable, enjoyable, plenty and productive are subjective, and everyone has their own idea of what works for them.....

That said, I don’t think you will find too many people advocating the sleep in strategy during the busiest time of the year! Yeah, the beauty of FP+ is that you will always be guaranteed of getting on some attractions without having to wait in lines. However, you can get on sooooo many more attractions without waiting in lines if you take advantage of those first few hours. Not only that, but you can enjoy the parks when they aren’t wall to wall people, which can greatly add to the atmosphere. Yeah, sleep is nice but with all we spend on a WDW vacation I’d rather sacrifice a couple hours of sleep to maximize the use of both the parks and the resorts.

Of course that’s the great thing about WDW....there are a myriad of ways for all different kinds of people to have a great time!

The bolded above is the key, because I could and would very much disagree with everything else you wrote in your post. It's great if you think rope drop is the only way to have an enjoyable, productive time and that it's a "cardinal sin" to show up at 11:00am. That's what works for you, but it isn't the right way to do WDW at Christmas. We show up at the parks anywhere between 10am and 5pm depending on what our day brings. We have always been quite "productive" in getting on tons of rides, including headliners. That's the beauty of FP+ and refreshing.

But then again, guess I've always been a sinner. :smooth:

I think the light-hearted war between early riser rope droppers and later sleeping mid-dayers is kinda funny, but truly in a fun way. It really is a subjective choice and depends on the people in the party. We have both in my fam and as long as we are free to choose our own timing, it works. I wake up so early anyway that I'd chew my own arms off if I had to wait past rope drop. In the past when I've traveled with later sleepers I'm up before dawn walking around in the dark at the hotel saying good morning to the workers getting everything ready for the day and waiting for the food court to open. lol

IMO, it's important for new planners to hear both scenarios to be able to plan and choose what will work for them and their families.

The bolded above is the key.......But then again, guess I've always been a sinner.
Sorry, maybe I should have loaded up my last post with some winkies? I sincerely hope you aren’t upset, we simply have a legit difference of opinion. Of course the bolded part is key.....that’s why I wrote it! Only and right ways? There are no such things! You might have missed the bulk of my post where I talked about the myriad of ways for different people to have a good time and to do what works for them??? Oh, and your sins are forgiven! You have obviously found a strategy that is right for you, and I have my strategies that are right for me...........and ALMOST everyone else!:tongue::rolleyes1:crazy::love2:

I’m assuming you’ve actually BEEN to WDW between Christmas and New Years??

For the OPs benefit, and to keep this somewhat on topic, let me just highlight the difference in strategies. By the time you show up at the parks I have probably done all the rides and attractions (headliners and all) that you will get to between 10 and 5, not to mention I will be taking in relaxing holiday sights elsewhere while you are navigating the busiest hours in the park (during the busiest time of the year), and....oh, I’ll have FP+ in hand to do headliners all evening while you take in second tier attractions, unless you are lucky enough to snag a 4th or 5th FP+ for a more popular attraction, which probably isn’t happening for a party bigger than one or two. Yeah, you are productive. Of course you aren’t as productive (in seeing attractions and holiday sights) as you COULD BE!:crazy: If you wanted to....which you don’t....which is all good. Plus, you got an extra hour of sleep!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter