Between Christmas and New Year....your best tips! :)

I think the light-hearted war between early riser rope droppers and later sleeping mid-dayers is kinda funny, but truly in a fun way. It really is a subjective choice and depends on the people in the party. We have both in my fam and as long as we are free to choose our own timing, it works. I wake up so early anyway that I'd chew my own arms off if I had to wait past rope drop. In the past when I've traveled with later sleepers I'm up before dawn walking around in the dark at the hotel saying good morning to the workers getting everything ready for the day and waiting for the food court to open. lol

IMO, it's important for new planners to hear both scenarios to be able to plan and choose what will work for them and their families.

Well said! There really are countless ways to do Disney, and every party is different, and what works for one most likely won’t work for another. It is good for people who have never encountered a particular scenarios (like WDW at Christmas) to hear the many different sides, even if it seems like we have some light hearted bickering along the way!

One thing we’ve found now that our kids are older is we don’t all have to be on the same strategy. Of course, at the end of the day and after testing the waters their own way, they hang with my strategies because they work so well!

I am loving all the replies, suggestions and opinions. I am a rope drop person and I love planning as much (maybe a little more than) the actual trip! lol. I am an early riser and love watching the resort wake up from my balcony and then off we go! But I totally get vacationers who would rather go later and they make it work! Reading your experiences with crowds is great! We went at Halloween once and ABSOLUTELY loved it! Would love to do that again but I keep hearing how fabulous it is at Christmas too.

Sorry, maybe I should have loaded up my last post with some winkies? I sincerely hope you aren’t upset, we simply have a legit difference of opinion. Of course the bolded part is key.....that’s why I wrote it! Only and right ways? There are no such things! You might have missed the bulk of my post where I talked about the myriad of ways for different people to have a good time and to do what works for them??? Oh, and your sins are forgiven! You have obviously found a strategy that is right for you, and I have my strategies that are right for me...........and ALMOST everyone else!:tongue::rolleyes1:crazy::love2:

I’m assuming you’ve actually BEEN to WDW between Christmas and New Years??

For the OPs benefit, and to keep this somewhat on topic, let me just highlight the difference in strategies. By the time you show up at the parks I have probably done all the rides and attractions (headliners and all) that you will get to between 10 and 5, not to mention I will be taking in relaxing holiday sights elsewhere while you are navigating the busiest hours in the park (during the busiest time of the year), and....oh, I’ll have FP+ in hand to do headliners all evening while you take in second tier attractions, unless you are lucky enough to snag a 4th or 5th FP+ for a more popular attraction, which probably isn’t happening for a party bigger than one or two. Yeah, you are productive. Of course you aren’t as productive (in seeing attractions and holiday sights) as you COULD BE!:crazy: If you wanted to....which you don’t....which is all good. Plus, you got an extra hour of sleep!

Nah, no offense taken. This is all in good fun after all...we're debating the merits of how to have fun at WDW...as I always say, a "bad" day at WDW beats a good day at work. So no worries, all good.

As far as Xmas to NYE at WDW and have I been there...yep, been there, done that, but didn't buy the t-shirt because it was too expensive. :D Did it in '15 and again just 7 months ago...we were there from something like Dec 17th through Jan 1st. We're veterans, so we have a better handle on things, which is a huge benefit. I was saying that I don't agree that you'll be far more productive if you rope drop, as long as you know what you're doing. When we walk in, we do get a ton of attractions, including headliners. I didn't count, but in a window of roughly 10am to 3pm, we went through 7 or 8 FP+...and not just Tier 2 stuff. For example, we literally sent our kids on Space Mountain back to back. I don't recall exact times anymore, but say it was 2pm. I found them a 2:15 FP+ for it. Got Pooh for DW and I for 2:15pm also. We got off before they did, so as we were waiting for them, I was playing around with MDE and got them another one for 2:30pm. We had stuff like this the entire trip. "Refreshing" is a wonderful tool and we use it to full advantage. That's where I disagree with being more "productive". If you know what rides need FP+, what don't (though during Xmas, they almost all do), which are easiest to get, which are hardest, etc...you can get a TON done without rope drop.

You can also get tons done at park closing too. Some parks don't stay open super late...so when HS closed at 9pm, we rode TSMM back to back to back in 10 minutes flat.

Totally agree that there's no right or wrong way, and this is all in good fun. But I definitely do not buy into the mentality of "You need to rope drop otherwise you won't get to do anything, have fun, etc..." because in our experience that simply isn't true.

We go at this time every year and will be returning again this year. We love it. Learn how to manipulate MDE to get multiple fast passes and mobile order to avoid quick service lines.

Wrong, wrong wrong... Have park hoppers and head over to MK at rope drop and late at night. On Dec. 30th MK stays open until 2:00 am.

This, this, this... Get to the parks early, Fast Pass back to back to back at about 2 hours after park opening... Head out of the parks when it gets crowded and go enjoy the resorts or Disney Springs.. Use rolling fast passes for the evenings.

It can make your stay much easier if you book an MK resort or Epcot resort. Makes it easy to return to the hotel without having to take a bus!

It may be "wrong" to you, but it's not "wrong" for my family. After almost being trampled in MK on the day after Christmas, I would never set foot in there again during Christmas week.

Disney Springs is "wrong" to us - the crowds there were worse than every other park than MK.

Everyone has different thresholds for crowds and park touring. We can agree to disagree, but saying someone is "wrong" regarding their opinion on what works for them when touring WDW is wrong. Enjoy being trampled in MK.

Totally agree that there's no right or wrong way, and this is all in good fun. But I definitely do not buy into the mentality of "You need to rope drop otherwise you won't get to do anything, have fun, etc..." because in our experience that simply isn't true.

In fairness....I never said you “need to otherwise you won’t get anything done”. Also, you have to admit that even if you could get 8 FP+ in 5 hours in the MK during the busiest time of the year.....if you had done rope drop/EMH that morning you would have gotten even more done! More done equals more productive, which is all I said you can be with a rope drop/EMH strategy!!

And your anecdotal evidence is only from the MK. Similar results will likely never be achieved in the other parks.

Another important nuance is the difference between you (who it seems are a seasoned veteran spending the last half of December at WDW) and a never been at Christmas guest who is only spending a few days and isn’t as fluent in FP+ as you are. Surely it’s an easier strategy for a less seasoned vet to maximize productivity in the short term through rope drop/EMH than to rely on FP+ refresh, especially in the parks that aren’t the MK, wouldn’t you agree?

We are also big fans of the midday break from the parks, especially when it’s super crowded. That break from the throngs helps save the mental well being, and makes the evening people watching spectacle fun!

In fairness....I never said you “need to otherwise you won’t get anything done”. Also, you have to admit that even if you could get 8 FP+ in 5 hours in the MK during the busiest time of the year.....if you had done rope drop/EMH that morning you would have gotten even more done! More done equals more productive, which is all I said you can be with a rope drop/EMH strategy!!

And your anecdotal evidence is only from the MK. Similar results will likely never be achieved in the other parks.

Another important nuance is the difference between you (who it seems are a seasoned veteran spending the last half of December at WDW) and a never been at Christmas guest who is only spending a few days and isn’t as fluent in FP+ as you are. Surely it’s an easier strategy for a less seasoned vet to maximize productivity in the short term through rope drop/EMH than to rely on FP+ refresh, especially in the parks that aren’t the MK, wouldn’t you agree?

We are also big fans of the midday break from the parks, especially when it’s super crowded. That break from the throngs helps save the mental well being, and makes the evening people watching spectacle fun!

Yes, I agree being a seasoned vet is a huge advantage for us, no doubt about it. I mentioned that in my previous post. So sure, for a total newbie who has no idea how to get around the parks, FP+, refresh strategy, etc...they would get on more rides if they show up at park open (I'll never really see the reason to show up long before park open) than if they show up midday. They could probably get a similar amount done if they show up late afternoon and stay to park close...it really is empty as the parks close. However, my point is that I don't think a rope drop person could get more done than a savvy park veteran, even on a holiday. Obviously, there's no way to prove one side or the other, but there is a general line of thought on this board that rope drop is just about the only way to be "productive". I disagree with that part. I'd bet a Mickey bar :mickeybar that I can do as much as a rope dropper when we really try. Like I said, for parks that close before 10pm or so, we have gotten into the habit of doing the parks from 4pm to close...it's sort of rope drop in reverse.

I only gave you the example from MK because I wasn't going to list out every park. We had similar successes in every park. RnR is my favorite ride in WDW by far, so I made sure we got on that thing many times. :D

I think this debate, which I enjoy, is a perfect illustration of how there really is no wrong way to do WDW. Your way is perfectly right for you and that's all that matters. Ours is right for us, and we love it. We're not planners at all, we love to go with the flow. We don't set alarm clocks. Sometimes we'll make it to the parks at 9:30am, sometimes it's 10:30am.

Weather is questionable. One year, 80’s. Last year it was flipping FREEZING!

Our fav Christmas things are

1) Candlelight Processional, a must! Get the dining package so you’re not denied. It is truly the best.

2) Deluxe Resort Decorations

1) GF go in the evening for the band and the entire atmosphere.
2) BC and BW have great gingerbread creations and AK is gorgeous as well. The others are ok

3) Epcot Fireworks before 1/1

4) MK parade before 1/1

Hit RD at the EMH parks and done by 11

In general how is the weather during this week?

Totally unpredictable. As a PP said, we've had both.

We were there for Xmas 2015 and I think it was near record warmth. If I recall, Xmas Day itself was 84 or 85 degrees. We wore shorts and t-shirts all week.

Last year, it was cold, cold, cold...at least for someone used to warm weather (I'm in Atlanta) :cold:. There were a few days where it was 60 at the high and in the low 50s at night, but what made it worse was that it was misty and breezy. When the sun went down, we were awful chilly.

In general how is the weather during this week?

Fickle. lol Just keep checking the weather up until the day you leave to go to WDW at this time of year. Sometimes it's shorts, sometimes it's coats, and sometimes it's both from day to day! Packing layers is the key so you have a variety of clothes to choose from. I delay packing clothes until the day before I fly out.

We were there last year and had a ball. Plenty to do, regardless of crowds or wait times. We arrived at the parks most days right at opening, rode a ton of rides and then spent the afternoon and evening enjoying the atmosphere, shows, parade, whatever. We started FPs around 10:30 and refreshed for additional FPs all day. We spent Christmas at HS and rode RNR 4 times and TSM 3 times. We watched Beauty and the Beast, Frozen, Little Mermaid, and Indiana Jones. We are going back this year because it was so enjoyable. As far as weather, we wore shorts with a sweatshirt each morning. we took the sweatshirt off in the late morning and then wore it again in the evening. It was chilly, but Spring Break was actually colder in the morning and evening. We drive so we are able to pack more and we just took it all - t-shirts, shorts, jeans, sweatpants, sweatshirts, long-sleeved shirts, and jackets with gloves. Never used the jeans, jackets, or gloves. We will pack the same way this year.

We were there last year and had a ball. Plenty to do, regardless of crowds or wait times. We arrived at the parks most days right at opening, rode a ton of rides and then spent the afternoon and evening enjoying the atmosphere, shows, parade, whatever. We started FPs around 10:30 and refreshed for additional FPs all day. We spent Christmas at HS and rode RNR 4 times and TSM 3 times. We watched Beauty and the Beast, Frozen, Little Mermaid, and Indiana Jones. We are going back this year because it was so enjoyable. As far as weather, we wore shorts with a sweatshirt each morning. we took the sweatshirt off in the late morning and then wore it again in the evening. It was chilly, but Spring Break was actually colder in the morning and evening. We drive so we are able to pack more and we just took it all - t-shirts, shorts, jeans, sweatpants, sweatshirts, long-sleeved shirts, and jackets with gloves. Never used the jeans, jackets, or gloves. We will pack the same way this year.

Is Hollywood Studios the most manageable park on Christmas day? I have us going to Epcot since its so big I though it might be more manageable. Also as far as buses, are they super bad crowded all day long? Is UBER much more valuable to use during this week? We have been several times but never during this particular week. Last year we went the week before and it was totally fine but Im a little scared of this monster but it was the only week we could all go.

Is Hollywood Studios the most manageable park on Christmas day? I have us going to Epcot since its so big I though it might be more manageable. Also as far as buses, are they super bad crowded all day long? Is UBER much more valuable to use during this week? We have been several times but never during this particular week. Last year we went the week before and it was totally fine but Im a little scared of this monster but it was the only week we could all go.
We used the bus from All Star Sports. We had no problem. We did not go until around 9:45 because we had already been at Disney a week and were a little tired, but we thought the park was quite manageable. We had a late lunch at 50s PT (one of our favorites) and then just kind of snacked for dinner. In my opinion, HS felt more Christmassy than MK last year. We were 'snowed' on several times, the park was well decorated, and there was almost constant Christmas clips running on TOT. We left around 7:00 so didn't really get in any nighttime shows. I don't know how much TSL will affect the crowds, but I would imagine that MK and Epcot will be the most crowded on Christmas. We have the exact same plan this year for Christmas, but I am going to add the Jingle Bam desert party and stay later.

We are also planning a trip this week, specifically Dec 23 - 31. It's interesting seeing so many people talk Park Hoppers, I would have thought doing a single park would be better due to the possibility of parks reaching capacity.

We are planning on doing MK Christmas Day, which pretty much everyone is saying don't do. We assume it's going to be incredibly busy, and are setting our expectations to be as such. We've also scheduled several dining reservations as well as the fireworks dessert party to avoid having to stake out a fireworks spot hours before.

My question would be the days between December 25 - 31, what are the chances of a park closure due to reaching capacity?

We are also planning a trip this week, specifically Dec 23 - 31. It's interesting seeing so many people talk Park Hoppers, I would have thought doing a single park would be better due to the possibility of parks reaching capacity.

We are planning on doing MK Christmas Day, which pretty much everyone is saying don't do. We assume it's going to be incredibly busy, and are setting our expectations to be as such. We've also scheduled several dining reservations as well as the fireworks dessert party to avoid having to stake out a fireworks spot hours before.

My question would be the days between December 25 - 31, what are the chances of a park closure due to reaching capacity?

Unlikely. We didn't see any closures last year, but MK was extraordinarily busy every time we visited. The other parks were busier than you'll normally see them any other time but not as packed as MK.

We've done the New Year's holiday several times and we always enjoy it. Same for Thanksgiving! We are lucky enough to go to the parks fairly often so we don't have high expectations of what we will accomplish. I plan our FastPasses and everything else is gravy. We enjoy the atmosphere and less popular attractions. As others have said, we also enjoy hopping out of a busy park to (normally) stroll World Showcase and have dessert. This past January, we went to WS for evening EMH and quite literally had World Showcase to ourselves. The weather was cold and there was not another guest in sight. We had a fabulous time!

We have had great success taking advantage of late extra magic hours. I know the debate continues about RD or late, but late works best for us. IMO, you get several hours of low crowds rather than the 1-2 in the morning AND we are just not early risers by nature. I also find the parks to be most enjoyable after dark!

Thanks for the weather info. If it is in the 60's and 70's that would be perfect for us coming from Western NY

We used the bus from All Star Sports. We had no problem. We did not go until around 9:45 because we had already been at Disney a week and were a little tired, but we thought the park was quite manageable. We had a late lunch at 50s PT (one of our favorites) and then just kind of snacked for dinner. In my opinion, HS felt more Christmassy than MK last year. We were 'snowed' on several times, the park was well decorated, and there was almost constant Christmas clips running on TOT. We left around 7:00 so didn't really get in any nighttime shows. I don't know how much TSL will affect the crowds, but I would imagine that MK and Epcot will be the most crowded on Christmas. We have the exact same plan this year for Christmas, but I am going to add the Jingle Bam desert party and stay later.
Alrighty I changed our Christmas Day plans to Hollywood Studios. I’m gonna trust the ones that have been before me. we are there from the 24th-2nd and I’m hoping my husband and son can cope with the crowds with my ocd planning and bribery of the deluxe dining plan

Hi everyone!

We are seriously thinking of going to WDW the week between Christmas and New Year in 2019. Probably the 26th to the 30th or 31st. Not planning to stay there New Year's Eve. I know it's a crazy stupid busy time, but I am a teacher and my daughter will be in college and that is our only common time to go other than summer. We have been lucky enough to have been several times in the summer but would love to see it at Christmas once. I get that the crowds are huge but we have handled them in the summer and don't feel the need to hit all the rides this time.
So...to the point of this thread....I just would love any tips or suggestions from you all who have experienced Disney at Christmas time and what may have worked for you. Or didn't. Thanks so much!

1. Get there early. And by early I mean about an hour before opening time (especially at MK.) No. Don' t wake up an hour before opening time. Don't hop the bus an hour before opening time. Be at the gate and ready to go an hour before opening time. Let me put it to you this way. It's 11:30 am. The park has pretty much filled up. Would you rather be. Walking by the People Mover saying wow, that's a half hour. Let's go anyway. We've gotten our ride fix in on what we wanted to or Walking by the people mover on your way in saying Dang even the people mover is a half hour. We're hosed. But look on the bright side kids. We were able to stay up and watch Falon instead of going to bed.
2. Think about what you really wish to ride and get to it early. Make a good plan. But But But... I don't want that stress. Oh so long lines and not getting on what you want is relaxing is it? Well ok.
3. Make some reservations. You're going to get tired. You're going to want to sit down. Counters are going to take quite some time. Pre phone app we're talking peaks approaching 2 hours on Christmas and New Years themselves. Even with the phone app, I would anticipate some back up.
4. Stay on site. Resort guests can get in even with level 3 closures. 4th of July itself at the MK can get close. But no other day in summer does come close to the crowds you'll see. December 25, and 31 are special days at MK. Of course they're special days for a lot of people. Those two days well let me just say you've been warned. However, even on those days, if you take my advice above, you can get some things in. Then when it gets crowded, just watch the shows and/or parades. They're very crowded, but fine. And you're going to want to stake out your spot quite early too.
5. Be prepared for almost any weather. It can be warm, it can be cold. It can be dry. It can be wet. So pack some of each kind of gear.

When we're talking phased restrictions, we are mostly talking MK, though all four parks have at one point or other in the past reached a level of phased restrictions.
Note that parking lot closures can happen even before phased restrictions start for a park. This is most likely at the studios. But can happen anywhere. In the case of a parking lot closure, (without phased restrictions) you will be diverted to another parking lot.

Phased restrictions
Level 1. People without tickets, 1 day single park tickets, or cast member passes that are also not staying at a resort are turned away at the parking pay plaza. Those riding the bus, resort guests, multi day passes, re entry, hoppers, etc, all get in.
Level 2. The following get in.
Resort guests, hoppers, those re entering, everyone on Disney Transportation and those with reservations and appointments inside the park. Everyone else.... No go. So you can see where if you are not staying at a Disney resort, hoppers can get you in at level 2.
Level 3
The following get in
Resort guests, APs, those with reservations and appointments.
Only MK has reached this level of closure in the past 10 years.
Level 4.
Nobody gets in to either the park or the parking lot.
Only MK has reached this level of closure in the past 10 years. And only once.

Note that these do not include closures for inclement weather or other factors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!