Best stress relief resort?

Fuzzymarkone

Earning My Ears
Hello,

I was wondering what people would recommend as the most ideal resort to stay at for keeping stress at a minimal level?

Most would probably go straight with one of the deluxes, and on paper would agree but when looking deeper into it, might not always be the case.
As each resort has its own pluses and minuses either value, moderate or deluxe. So was curious as to what thoughts are when considering the calm.

My next trip is a solo one, no car, two weeks. but feel free to mention if group/car considerations are worthwhile as others may take them into account

Thank you for any ideas.

I think it depends a lot on what kinds of things cause you stress and what kinds of things help you keep calm.

For example, what's more calming to you: a more remote setting that isn't bustling with a lot of activity, or a resort that's walkable to parks so you don't have to deal with any stresses of bus transportation?

As an introvert who has a kid and husband who are tapped.out. after a lot of busy-ness and people, we loved AKV Kidani. SO much calmer and quieter than Jambo and sitting out on the room balcony or in the rocking chairs overlooking the Savannah was really great. Yes, we had to bus to the parks (but really had great experiences with them) but having that chill vibe was really good for all of us.

Another vote for Animal Kingdom Lodge! While Jambo has more hustle-and-bustle, I think both Jambo and Kidani are more relaxing, beautiful, and serene than anywhere else we've stayed.

Hello,

I was wondering what people would recommend as the most ideal resort to stay at for keeping stress at a minimal level?

Most would probably go straight with one of the deluxes, and on paper would agree but when looking deeper into it, might not always be the case.
As each resort has its own pluses and minuses either value, moderate or deluxe. So was curious as to what thoughts are when considering the calm.

My next trip is a solo one, no car, two weeks. but feel free to mention if group/car considerations are worthwhile as others may take them into account

Thank you for any ideas.
Beach Club

In general I think moderates are more peaceful, quiet and relaxing than the deluxe resorts. They are more spread out with fewer places for crowds to congregate (with exceptions for the main quick service and feature pools which are always busy everywhere) and you don’t have a lot of people just passing through or visiting restaurants etc.

We’ve stayed at CBR and it feels like hardly anyone is there even when they are fully booked. The quiet pools are often empty or have just a few people.

I would say the Riviera. It's such an adult/laid back classy resort. Sure, there's kids, its Disney, but it doesn't feel as kid centric as some of the other resorts. The quiet pool is truly quiet. Since your not on Crescent Lake, you don't hear the ferry and boat horns and no monorail whizzing by (not that I truly mind those things). Getting a chair at the quiet pool facing the lake and watching the Sky Liner go by with a drink in hand was my favorite spot to be in the afternoon.

It doesn't have a busy lobby, which I think is due to the fact that although beautiful, it is understated and not as grand as some of the others. This stops a lot of the lobby traffic you get at other Deluxe resorts of people just wanting to see the lobby.

Sky Liner transportation is so convenient and relaxing. Plus, bus service is not shared with another resort, so getting to MK and AKL is a breeze. Buses were never crowded.

Primo Piatto, the quick service, is fantastic. Most days I would grab a Tuna Nicoise salad and eat by the pool. Bar Riva was fantastic as well with the friendliest bartenders. I enjoyed my stay so much, when I got home, I had my husband bidding on DVC resale contracts for it, which we are closing on shortly, lol.

It may just be me, but "Stormalong Bay" and "chill out" do not go together. There is way too much going on at all of the Epcot resorts, IMO.
I know what you're saying, but..... there's an area of SAB back near the cabanas that is very quiet and a little more secluded. There are also 2 other 'quiet' pools to enjoy at BC.

Just returned from Port Orleans Riverside. It is the most relaxing resort for me personally. So many pools to choose from. Even the main pool, though busy was relaxing and I enjoyed having a drink at Muddy Rivers overlooking the Ol' Man pool. The canopy of trees and boatride to Disney Springs makes this a definite go-to for a wonderful relaxing time!

I've stayed at Pop, Poly, POR, POFQ and Riv.

I'm not sure how I would feel about 2 weeks in any hotel room, but Riviera is nice and low-key. The skyliner is there for access to DHS/Epcot and the busses to the other resorts weren't too bad either.

If price is a concern, I like Port Orleans Riverside resort, it never seemed chaotic and was very green.

Before the tower, I'd say CSR. It was so nice laying in the hammocks along the edge of the water. They also hang little twinkle lights over the boardwalk.

I assume you want someplace to chill out and relax while not in the parks. Here is my opinion on each resort.

Value Resorts

All of them are super-sized themed and super fun and active. I did have a relaxing stay at Pop overlooking hourglass lake before AoA was built but I suspect that the skyway takes away from the calm. I would skip all of them if you're looking for calm. If your budget only allows a Value, I would go with one of the outlying buildings. We stayed in the Hoops section at All Star Sports and it was quieter than most.

Moderate Resorts

The moderate resorts have beautiful landscaping which makes them more relaxing to me.

Port Orleans Riverside - I stayed in the Alligator Bayou section, building 35, years ago. I was annoyed by the twisty/turny paths from my building BUT those paths gave POR a sense of quietness and remoteness which is what you may be looking for. Other than the long walk to the food court, I found it to be very relaxing.

Port Orleans French Quarter - more "urban" than POR. Straighter lines and a New Orleans French Quarter feel. It''s a beautiful resort, but it feels more "active". You can easily walk between the two Port Orleans resorts if you wish. Bonus for both resorts is the boat service to Disney Springs.

Caribbean Beach Resort - I've not been here since the updates. I enjoyed it when I stayed there a million years ago (OK, it was about 20 years ago). I like the island theme and it seemed laid back. The skyway is a plus at this resort.

Coronado Springs Resort - Probably the least relaxing of all the moderates for me. The theme changes a lot between the sections and the Convention Center brings in a lot of convention folk who sometimes hashes my "vacay buzz" (though no fault of their own.) It does, however, have the best moderate pool IMO.

Camp Wilderness Cabins - I've been to Camp Wilderness but have never stayed there. I assume it's pretty laid back and calming. But, a cabin seems to over overkill for a single person.

Deluxe Resorts

Animal Kingdom Lodge - the epidemy of getting away from it all. The beautiful natural rooms, the African art and music, the animals on the savannah ... you really don't feel like you're in WDW. My #1 recommendation.

Polynesian - the Poly is also very immersive. The walkways are quiet and beautiful at night lined with tiki torches. You really do not feel you are so close to the MK. The Polynesian music adds to the theme and the rooms are lovely. I d not think seeing the monorail detracts from the serenity.

Wilderness Lodge - another immersive, get away from it all kind of resort. I feel it's a little more active than AK or the Poly so a little less relaxing.

Contemporary - the Garden Wing is more laid back than the rest of the resort. The view of Bay Lake is very nice.

Beach Club, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Swolphin - I've stayed at all but the YC and all are too busy, busy, busy. Too much is going on with too many people going somewhere. If I had to pick one, it would be the Swan. It is the most laid back of all of them. I've not stayed at the YC, it seems to be more "formal" than the others.

Grand Floridian - I've always found the GF to be stuffy, even on the DVC side. I would not be able to relax thoroughly while feeling I needed to watch my P's and Q's.

Disney Vacation Club Resorts

Full disclosure, I own DVC at BWV & AKV. I owned and sold OKW. All DVC resorts will give you a kitchenette which makes breakfast and snacks easier. We will often enjoy a glass of wine and cheese and crackers on our balcony in the late afternoon to relax. Most DVC studios are bigger than the rooms on the regular resort side.

Animal Kingdom Villas - All the advantages of the AKL with a little more room and a kitchenette. AKV Kidani is even more laid back than Jambo House.

Old Key West - Similar to CBR in "island" theme, plus it has boat ride to Disney Springs. The OG DVC, but studios have 2 beds in them while other DVC studios have fold out couches that gives you the appearance of more room. It's set on a golf course and we've enjoyed watching people play. It has many quiet pools that create a relaxing atmosphere.

Saratoga Springs - It's ok, but I feel like it's too spread out and feels too much like a condo and a little sterile. Boat or walk to Disney Springs.

Rivieria Resort - Nice resort, nice rooms. I found it a tiny bit too bland when I stayed there. The pool is tiny and in the sun in the afternoon. Not enough landscaping or shade throughout resort. It's a high rise which I find less relaxing than smaller buildings. Skyliner is a big plus.

Bay Lake Tower - Contemporary resort in a high rise. Small rooms. Modern, almost sterile theme.

Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club Villas - see deluxe above. OK, OK ... I really like a Boardwalk View at BWV but they are hard to get.

Polynesian Village Resort Villas & Villas at Grand Floridian, see deluxe resorts above.

Copper Creek & Boulder Ridge, see Wilderness Lodge above.

My list for calm chillness would be, in order:

Animal Kingdom Villas & Lodge
Polynesian Villas & Resort
Port Orleans Riverside
Old Key West
Wilderness Lodge Villas & Resort
Caribbean Beach Resort
Port Orleans French Quarter
Swan
Saratoga Springs
Rivieria Resort
Beach Club Villas & Resort
Boardwalk Villas & Resort
Dolphin
Contemporary Garden Wing
Yacht Club
Coronado Springs
Contemporary Bay Lake Tower and main tower
Grand Floridian
All Stars Sports
Pop Century & AoA
All Star Music & Movies

I know what you're saying, but..... there's an area of SAB back near the cabanas that is very quiet and a little more secluded. There are also 2 other 'quiet' pools to enjoy at BC.
Right, but SAB has an overarching presence at both the YC and the BC. Don't get me wrong, I love the BC but I enjoy a more active resort sometimes.

Hello,

Thank you for any ideas.
That's tough, I don't think there's one ideal resort that embodies a "stress free/less stressful" atmosphere. If you're staying for 2 weeks, I'd maybe go from value/mod to deluxe and do two or three different resorts. For me, two weeks is way too long a time to stay in one resort. I'd probably go for POFQ, DVC AK, WL then DVC GF.

I think you need to consider more than just the hotel you stay at, but the room. You're staying for two weeks. Do you want to stay for two weeks in a tiny room with a trash can the size of a thimble? No. You want to stay somewhere the size of an apartment, at least 800 square feet. I'd look into the Marriott timeshares near Disney and get yourself a 2 bedroom oasis. Now that is what I call relaxing! Either use uber for transportation or just rent a car with the thousand or more dollars you'll save staying slightly off property.

Another vote for Animal Kingdom Lodge, it's so quiet most of the time, and you can just sit and relax and watch the animals. We'll often go outside to one of the areas with rocking chairs with a book.

I would agree with AKL as there are many parts that are secluded from rooms off to the side to outdoor seating areas not to mention watching the animals however the main lobby can get crowded but there is a room to left side that many overlook. If Indoor areas overall WL has a lot of great spaces that are not visited much and the lobby is never overly crowded. For outdoor overall SSR or OKW. SSR by far has the better views OKW sitting by the river is also very relaxing.

For me it would be Wilderness Lodge - I like the compact size of the resort and the feel of being at a lodge on Bay Lake. I found AKL to far from everything when I did stay there and didn't like not being on water like at the other Deluxe Resorts.

For two weeks without a car you'd want the resort with the best transportation to where you want to go. I would not pick anywhere that required an inner bus loop - those are super annoying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter