Benefits of having an annual pass???

Yeah the 20% discount may not last forever but I can't see how they promote it when you buy it, but then it goes away while you have it so my belief is it isn't going away in a few months. Also get memory maker which is nice.
I can't imagine a scenario of going on two separate trips of even 3 days each that you wouldn't have been better off with the AP.

When buying our AP's, were told the 20% was for their '45th' and through the end of Sept. What makes you think that wouldn't be true?

So you think even two 3 day trips would make the AP a good deal? Not to us it wouldn't - no way! :confused3 The benefits aren't 'that' great!! Of course, we would never make that short of trips from 600 miles away, but no matter!

We would never buy the Memory Maker outright, as, other than a few ride photos, prefer our own pics. The price is 'built in' to the AP price, so no choice anymore on that - but 'not' our choice. Everyone can have their own feelings on that matter!!

When buying our AP's, were told the 20% was for their '45th' and through the end of Sept. What makes you think that wouldn't be true?

So you think even two 3 day trips would make the AP a good deal? Not to us it wouldn't - no way! :confused3 The benefits aren't 'that' great!! Of course, we would never make that short of trips from 600 miles away, but no matter!

We would never buy the Memory Maker outright, as, other than a few ride photos, prefer our own pics. The price is 'built in' to the AP price, so no choice anymore on that - but 'not' our choice. Everyone can have their own feelings on that matter!!
When going right up thru the checkout this morning it says how there is a 20% discount. I read the terms and conditions there is no reference to it ending in a few months. You think they are just going to take that benefit away? What about the photos, that is possible to just lose that benefit as well. There is an $88 price increase from 2 three day hoppers to a platinum pass with taxes included. So if you view the hopper as worthless (I don't), the parking as worthless (for me it is), the 20% not going to last (I don't), room benefits worthless (for me it pretty much is but I have used it once and it was a good deal). I think it is worth the $88 for the possibility you might want to go an additional day or 2, and I think the vast majority of people going longer than 2 three day trips. Obviously if we upped it to 4 or 5 days there couldn't possibly be a debate.

I did the math for my sister since she is joining me for two trips, but only part of the time. It would be a minimum of 2 and 3 days, max of 3 and 4 days. An AP would be a much better value for her (and probably most) than 2, 3-day hoppers. A 3-day hopper is 371.69. For two trips, that's $743.38. A platinum pass is 829.64. Only an $86.26 difference. That's if you buy all tickets direct, including the AP at full price. Now I know a 3-day hopper is rarely discounted. I did my research and found the cheapest ticket compared to Disney's gate price was a 7-day hopper (savings of $70 at the time). I bought it, linked to MDE and booked our FP+ and plan to upgrade it in July since we will return in October. This makes that ticket difference only $16.26. Now she does not have to worry if she will go from 2 and 3 to 3 and 4 days. She is getting that extra park time (and possibility of any other trip) for a very small amount. Not to mention all the other discounts (which I already have, but now I don't need to always take my pass out).

We've enjoyed the photopass being included. I live in PA and make 5-6 trips to WDW each year, and we used to buy memory maker each trip. That alone made the AP worthwhile for me, just based on the number of trips.
The "main reason" I upgraded my first ticket to an AP was so I could cancel my Memory Maker (since it was from a package) and get a discount on Club Villain and TiW. It paid for itself on 7-day trip! I wish I had realized I could have booked an AP room rate and bought the remaining tickets separately (for less) but you live and learn! I could not imagine not having access to all of my photos for all my trips. I just like them too much!

When going right up thru the checkout this morning it says how there is a 20% discount. I read the terms and conditions there is no reference to it ending in a few months. You think they are just going to take that benefit away?

It's very possible they've done it before. The official word from Disney was that the benefit would expire on September 30th. This was related to food and merchandise, not Photopass

The "main reason" I upgraded my first ticket to an AP was so I could cancel my Memory Maker (since it was from a package) and get a discount on Club Villain and TiW. It paid for itself on 7-day trip! I wish I had realized I could have booked an AP room rate and bought the remaining tickets separately (for less) but you live and learn! I could not imagine not having access to all of my photos for all my trips. I just like them too much!

Same!!! We wasted so much money before we had the AP. I'm smarter about it now but all this years, we really should have been buying at least one AP for our family. We love having all the photos, and we are one of those families that jumps into every photo line - especially at the Halloween and Christmas parties. So it's been very worth it just for that. We also stay at deluxe resorts each trip and eat at all the restaurants, so the room and food discounts have been great too. Mine expires July 2nd and I've already renewed it for next year.

I go twice a year and for more days per trip because I have an AP. Gives me a good excuse. :) I never bought Memory Maker, but now that it comes with the AP, I use it all the time. That definitely adds to the value for me. I've used it for discounts a few times and for meal discounts. I find it's definitely worth it to me. If I could get off work more often, and could afford the airfare, I'd probably go even more times a year.

First off, thanks everyone for the discussion...thinking of buying this for me next year because I may make 2 within year trips, or we may go for 7 to 10 days one trip. I know it's a long shot, but are there any ticket discounts for buying extra tickets for family and friends going with the AP holder?

I did the math for my sister since she is joining me for two trips, but only part of the time. It would be a minimum of 2 and 3 days, max of 3 and 4 days. An AP would be a much better value for her (and probably most) than 2, 3-day hoppers. A 3-day hopper is 371.69. For two trips, that's $743.38. A platinum pass is 829.64. Only an $86.26 difference.

OK, I get you! Guess I can't imagine that scenario, and have never known anyone willing to spend that much on so few days. I could never do it, would just have to some way plan on more days to justify my cost. Didn't do the math on paper, but approx. only $150 or less for 10 vs. 3 days, and that's not considering the AP for more trips. To each their own!

AP with the DVC discount would make two 3-day trips in a year period worth it for me. Strongly considering it even though I currently have only one 5-day trip planned (so far) in the coming year.

Probably will push me into somehow making a second trip happen before the AP expires. (Still, something of a gamble, as Life Happens...)

Having an excuse to make another trip. ;)

This is the biggest perk of the AP. I'm planning two trips only about 2 months apart. If I have the vacation days, why not?! Also, I feel less compelled to make every day a park day when I know that I am not missing out and losing money (even though I could buy a ticket with less days and not "waste" them, I still would feel compelled to be there every day if I'm within earshot of Disney if I'm not going again soon).

Love this - I used the excuse of "having" to go in June and wanting to go to Flower and Garden to buy my annual pass. Then once I had it I got wonderful rates at AKL in July, and will be booking another week in Feb. at WL. I might even go down in Dec. since I have that pass!

Are the rates low enough to be comparable to DVC points rental? Or is this just your decision so that you don't have to get a room at the 11-month mark?

I did the math for my sister since she is joining me for two trips, but only part of the time. It would be a minimum of 2 and 3 days, max of 3 and 4 days. An AP would be a much better value for her (and probably most) than 2, 3-day hoppers. A 3-day hopper is 371.69. For two trips, that's $743.38. A platinum pass is 829.64. Only an $86.26 difference. That's if you buy all tickets direct, including the AP at full price. Now I know a 3-day hopper is rarely discounted. I did my research and found the cheapest ticket compared to Disney's gate price was a 7-day hopper (savings of $70 at the time). I bought it, linked to MDE and booked our FP+ and plan to upgrade it in July since we will return in October. This makes that ticket difference only $16.26. Now she does not have to worry if she will go from 2 and 3 to 3 and 4 days. She is getting that extra park time (and possibility of any other trip) for a very small amount. Not to mention all the other discounts (which I already have, but now I don't need to always take my pass out).

This guy gets it. :)

OK, I get you! Guess I can't imagine that scenario, and have never known anyone willing to spend that much on so few days. I could never do it, would just have to some way plan on more days to justify my cost. Didn't do the math on paper, but approx. only $150 or less for 10 vs. 3 days, and that's not considering the AP for more trips. To each their own!

I have bought the 3 day ticket before just because that's all the days I could afford to be there. I still remember the CM at the ticket counter telling me "3 day is the absolute worst ticket you can buy. You sure you don't want to buy more days?" I loved his candor and transparency, lol.

The product purchase page is worded such that they can easily change the discounts: "Up to 20% off on select dining and merchandise". The Passholder benefits brochure also states "Discount is subject to change without notice." regarding the merchandise discount. The 20% merch discount is specifically mentioned as special for the MK's 45th Anniversary, so I fully expect it to go away come the end of September, as the Passholder page currently says.

If you are going to go for two or more trips of at least 3-4 days each within a calendar year and plan to have park hopper, I think the AP is worth the cost, even outside of any other benefits. The other benefits are just icing on the cake for me. I'll be activating my first AP in early September. Looking forward to that bonus discount for the first trip on the AP. For a couple of weekend trips next year, we may actually stay off site for the first time in a while, since parking will be free (and weekends typically don't have much in the way of EMH anymore).

You're forgetting the best perk of the annual pass.... you get to feel special when entering the park through the roped off Annual Pass Only touchpoints. It make you feel like a bigshot getting into the hot club. Sure, it usually has a longer line than every non-AP touchpoint, but that feeling of being special is well worth the extra few minutes of waiting.

Same!!! We wasted so much money before we had the AP. I'm smarter about it now but all this years, we really should have been buying at least one AP for our family. We love having all the photos, and we are one of those families that jumps into every photo line - especially at the Halloween and Christmas parties. So it's been very worth it just for that. We also stay at deluxe resorts each trip and eat at all the restaurants, so the room and food discounts have been great too. Mine expires July 2nd and I've already renewed it for next year.

My family is guilty of this too! Same photo a little closer to the castle with a different photographer and no line? Lets try it out!

First off, thanks everyone for the discussion...thinking of buying this for me next year because I may make 2 within year trips, or we may go for 7 to 10 days one trip. I know it's a long shot, but are there any ticket discounts for buying extra tickets for family and friends going with the AP holder?

Last year Disney ran a promo for a single day ticket around labor day for $99 that had to be purchased onsite and used that day. I have not seen any other "ticket" perks for AP holders besides discounts on select party nights.

The price of a 1, 2, 3, and 4 day ticket are very shocking! Days 5 - 10 are much cheaper. This is why I like "long" trips. Unfortunately schedules don't always permit :(

AP with the DVC discount would make two 3-day trips in a year period worth it for me. Strongly considering it even though I currently have only one 5-day trip planned (so far) in the coming year.

Probably will push me into somehow making a second trip happen before the AP expires. (Still, something of a gamble, as Life Happens...)

If I could qualify for the DVC Gold Pass, that would be even more savings! I just currently do not own DVC haha

i will upgrade my 3 day park hopper ticket in september! the ticket was part of the free dining deal so it's already paid for. we have another 4 day trip in Jan so i think it will be worth it. especially because we will be paying out of pocket for food. anyone know if you get an AP discount at the disney outlet?

I always recommend just looking at the price as compared to the price of a ticket, if you normally get memory maker, add that price to the ticket and there you go. If the AP is less, go for it, if not don't. You also have to keep in mind when looking at pricing as to whether or not you normally get park hoppers. If you don't then compare the cost of a single price ticket. I never recommend looking at the "benefits" as they are very fluid. You never know when a discount is coming out and if the AP room discount will be better than the general discount, I think in over 4 years of having my AP, I've only used the AP discount for a room once, normally using Orbitz with their 10 or 15% discount combined with the general discount I come out better. The restaurants that give discounts changes, we were there in March and only got discounts in 2 of the 6 places we ate. The merchandise discount is nice but not worth the price of an AP to get it unless the other numbers come out. I go to WDW twice a year, for normally 5 or 6 nights each trip, some years I get there 3 times a year, I always get a park hopper. The price of the AP (especially with the renewal discount) just comes out less for me. I never bought memory maker and frankly don't use it now even though it's included with the AP so I don't factor that in when comparing prices for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter