Benefits of having an annual pass???

I've never felt any need to have a Memory Maker in the past, but now being the proud papa of a 6 month old, I'd like to get quality photos of our family this next time without having to hand off my phone to a stranger every 10 minutes. So for the first time, the additional memory maker with the AP is a huge deal.

So, what does it cost to renew vs. waiting 6 months?
In other words, say we go ~ every 6 months such that we get three trips in the first year. Should we wait 6 months to buy another AP and activate for the 4th trip or does Disney entice you with a discount to renew immediately?
thanks.

If you can plan to visit twice in the same year - yes it is worth it. Generally if you have a visit longer than 10 days it is worth it. Plus with the added photopass that is a savings - I think now is $169 advanced purchase or $200 onsite purchase. I think the memory maker is worth it for some of the ride photos and great family group photos. Granted you only need one for the entire party, but still a savings. There are other shopping and dining discounts and sometimes AP events (like the pandora preview) but only matters if you are actually there at the time. With the recent special 45th 20% discount - I can't tell you how much i saved on my recent trip. Usually 10%.

I am the only one in my party who has an AP because i had a work trip this past April and another one for next april. With the DVC discount and the added photopass it was a no brainer.

If all you are looking for are mainly room discounts, photopass, dining discounts -- then sometimes just one member of your party can get the AP and still benefit from the discounts. You just really need to play with the numbers and see what makes sense

In other words, say we go ~ every 6 months such that we get three trips in the first year. Should we wait 6 months to buy another AP and activate for the 4th trip or does Disney entice you with a discount to renew immediately?
thanks.
I paid $705.03 to renew my platinum pass. That's 15% off. To repurchase it would have been $829.64. If you wont use it, you can always buy a discounted ticket elsewhere (like UCT) and save $70ish and upgrade when you arrive. That offsets losing the renewal savings. Spending $54 more per ticket rather than $124 per ticket makes a difference.

thanks.
Still need to verify the maths, but:
If you buy and renew every year, you get 2 trips per AP.
If you adjust times (i.e. November '17 April 18 and October 18) you get 3 trips per AP (50% more trips) let it lapse and pay 15% more for a new AP for a March 19 trip ... you are still 35% ahead.

The AP room discount I had in March was better than the GP discount and the bounceback offer. Ditto my sister's bounceback offer for May--the AP room discount was much better. Both room bookings were at deluxes, btw. That might make a difference.

I am trying to figure out if it makes send to upgrade only my ticket for our family trip in November. I do not expect to be back in Disney in a year so the only reason to upgrade would be to save money on this trip. I purchased a Walt Disney World 4 Day Magic Your Way with 5th Day Free! (no park hopper) ticket from OTC for $343.
  1. If I were to upgrade to a Platinum pass would I have to pay $829.64 - $343 = $486.64? or $829.64 - $394.05 =$435.59?
  2. Is the Photopass that is included with the Platinum pass essentially the same as the memory maker saving me $169? Would this apply to everyone on my room reservation?
  3. Could I make a room reservation with a pass holder discount if I am the only one in the room with a Platinum pass?
  4. Do I get the food discount automatically or do I still have to pay the $150 for the TIW pass?
  5. Any other potential discounts/benefits that I may not be thinking about?
Thanks

I am trying to figure out if it makes send to upgrade only my ticket for our family trip in November. I do not expect to be back in Disney in a year so the only reason to upgrade would be to save money on this trip. I purchased a Walt Disney World 4 Day Magic Your Way with 5th Day Free! (no park hopper) ticket from OTC for $343.
  1. If I were to upgrade to a Platinum pass would I have to pay $829.64 - $343 = $486.64? or $829.64 - $394.05 =$435.59?
  2. Is the Photopass that is included with the Platinum pass essentially the same as the memory maker saving me $169? Would this apply to everyone on my room reservation?
  3. Could I make a room reservation with a pass holder discount if I am the only one in the room with a Platinum pass?
  4. Do I get the food discount automatically or do I still have to pay the $150 for the TIW pass?
  5. Any other potential discounts/benefits that I may not be thinking about?
Thanks
1. Hmmm I am not familiar with OTC. Does your ticket have an expiration date? If so, it is probably current. I would check with @Robo about the ticket type
2. PhotoPass+ is BETTER than Memory Maker! Memory Maker only allows you 30 days of download. PhotoPass+ with the AP gives you unlimited downloads for an entire year!
3. Yes, you can definitely do this, I do it all the time! I have not even had Disney ask to verify my AP and I used it for rooms 3x last year.
4. You automatically get the AP discounts currently offered on food. Up to 20% on select TS and QS locations. A complete list is available on the AP site. TiW is a completely separate discount that costs $150 to purchase. You break even at $750 spent. TiW is more inclusive and works on alcohol. TiW also covers more TS restaurants and most lounges across property. Since you are traveling after October, you may be better off with TiW because the 20% off is for MK's 45th anniversary. Fingers crossed for an Epcot 35th deal :)
5. You also currently get 20% off most merchandise across property (this will revert back to 10% come October), free parking, and discounts on select tours, activities, and entertainment.

How many adults and children will be in your travel party and what types of dining experiences are you going to do? Will you be staying in a deluxe resort? Lets assume you need to spend the higher upgrade price, you would need to save $336 after PhotoPass+ to break even.

@VeronicaZS , the photopass is good for anyone listed in you friends and family list in MDE, even if only you have an AP. It also allows you to download for free any pictures taken in the 12 months before your AP was activated. So, if you time it properly, an AP can get you 25 months of free pictures for all of your friends and family in MDE.

@VeronicaZS , the photopass is good for anyone listed in you friends and family list in MDE, even if only you have an AP. It also allows you to download for free any pictures taken in the 12 months before your AP was activated. So, if you time it properly, an AP can get you 25 months of free pictures for all of your friends and family in MDE.
Wow! Thanks. Did not know this.

1. Hmmm I am not familiar with OTC. Does your ticket have an expiration date? If so, it is probably current. I would check with @Robo about the ticket type

3. Yes, you can definitely do this, I do it all the time! I have not even had Disney ask to verify my AP and I used it for rooms 3x last years"

Thanks! I bought the tickets after the increase in February but they are old stock, they do expire.

How do you get a pass holder rate for your room without a AP on your account? Could I book additional rooms that I am not staying in? Both sets of grandparents will be joining us hopefully in yacht or beach club. We are planning 7 days in November and will do a few TS and maybe 1 character breakfast
My immediate party (2 adults. 3 kids) is in my signature, both my parents and inlaws will come for part of the trip.

Last edited:
We are going to purchase APs for our Labor Day weekend trip this year. We are going back in December to celebrate DW and DD's birthdays. We will make our annual summer trip in June of '18 also. Hopefully we will get enough use from these APs so as to save a few dollars on tickets. Having the APS will also allow for day trips over the next year as our schedule allows. We live three hours away by car so it's not too hard a trip for one day. We had APs in 2015/16 and made great use of them. Three weekends, two day trips and a week last June. We plan to get the Gold AP since we are DVC members and the blockout dates will not affect our travel plans. (Spring Break and Christmas ) Looking forward to a year filled with Disney magic!

If anyone with an annual pass is bored, can you tell me what one night August 26-August 27 would cost for a preferred room at port orleans riverside?

I'm just wondering the difference between travel agent specials, regular Disney special offers and the annual pass discount.

If anyone with an annual pass is bored, can you tell me what one night August 26-August 27 would cost for a preferred room at port orleans riverside?

I'm just wondering the difference between travel agent specials, regular Disney special offers and the annual pass discount.

According to my account on the AP rate with two adults, the Preferred Room is showing unavailable for that night. At POR for Aug 26-27 only Garden and King rooms are available. Garden view is $175.50, $197.44 with tax. King room is $192.75, $216.85 with tax.

Thanks! I bought the tickets after the increase in February but they are old stock, they do expire.

How do you get a pass holder rate for your room without a AP on your account? Could I book additional rooms that I am not staying in? Both sets of grandparents will be joining us hopefully in yacht or beach club. We are planning 7 days in November and will do a few TS and maybe 1 character breakfast
My immediate party (2 adults. 3 kids) is in my signature, both my parents and inlaws will come for part of the trip.
Since they have an expiration date and we are still within that valid ticket timeframe, you should be "bridged" to current gate price. If they were pre-increase, you would have been stuck at the old price.

You can call and book the AP rate over the phone once it is open for that timeframe (only up to 10/7 right now). Multiple rooms at a Deluxe resort would probably warrant the upgrade to AP alone. I have honestly never been asked to show my AP at check-in, but the CM could ask. You may want to be with them at the resort when they arrive. I figure you save about an additional 5 - 10% with AP rate over GP.

I would check the numbers based on what you would actually order, but a family of 5 (with both sets of grandparents joining) would probably see some benefits in TiW. Seven sit down meals of just the immediate 5 would most likely push you over the threshold. Add grandparents in, and you would definitely make it back (TiW is good for up to 10 people in your dining party).

According to my account on the AP rate with two adults, the Preferred Room is showing unavailable for that night. At POR for Aug 26-27 only Garden and King rooms are available. Garden view is $175.50, $197.44 with tax. King room is $192.75, $216.85 with tax.

Thank you!!!

I'm in the uk~ just wondering what the full rack rate price is?

May I jump in with further AP queries...

If we upgraded one ticket to an AP..Ate at a restaurant (which offered discounts)..is the whole meal discounted?

Can you book fast passes at 60 days (if staying offsite ) with an AP?
Or remain at 30 days?

Is it possible/relatively easy?! To have an AP holder book a room onsite & non AP holder(s) to stay in the room?
How would this work with magic bands/FP's?

I am new to the DIS board, but am looking for help with annual passholder deluxe room rates for August 20-24 if anyone could help with this for us. We are planning another trip at Christmas as well. I'm trying to decide if the savings is worth the purchase of the passholder ticket.

How would it work if one person in the family has the AP to get the room discounts and photopass service? Doesn't everyone on the reservation have to be on the same package? Or is this a case where you buy everything separately?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter