Being Requested to Get Whooping Cough Vaccine to Hold Infant

Our grandson and his wife are expecting their first child in September, this will be our first great-grandchild. His wife has posted on Facebook that she wants everyone who plans to hold the baby to get a whooping cough vaccine.

What would you think if this was requested of you?

I plan to discuss it with my doctor at my next diabetic checkup in June, but just wondered what others here thought.

My daughter-in-law is refusing to do it, and really went off on our grandson's wife on Facebook for even making the request. It was through that post that I found out my daughter-in-law is 100% against vaccinations, and did not have her daughters (18 and 15) vaccinated at all. That is a whole other discussion though. But she did bring up the fact that our grandson's wife is still smoking, while pregnant. To me, if she was all that concerned about her baby's health she would have quit smoking when they first started trying to get pregnant. :(

Facebook seems to be an odd place to put a special request out. I'll put smoking aside since non smoking Moms babies also contract whooping cough.
I'm only commenting because my niece, my Sisters infant contracted Whooping cough. She was already home from the hospital but due to the incubation time the doctors were pretty sure the baby caught it in the hospital. My niece being a very newborn spent several weeks in the hospital in ICU and even when home someone had to stay up with her 24/7. She was given an alarm to have stuck to her chest 24/7 also. She was transported back to the hospital multiple times. She was touch and go there for a while. We were all so scared. This little baby came into the world healthy. We never knew who had Whooping Cough and likely they didn't know it at the time the exposed my niece. So while I don't agree with making the request via FB it is wise for all of us to up to date on Whooping Cough and other infectious diseases.

There was a billboard next to one of the busiest exits on the highway near me that said something like "no vaccine, no kisses" about the whooping cough vaccine and babies.

It is becoming more of an issue so I feel her request was reasonable!

Most tetanus boosters are a cheaper version that only includes Tetanus and Diphtheria, adults have to specifically ask for the one that includes Pertussis most of the time. I do wonder if the resurgence of whooping cough is related, but that's just me thinking and not based on any actual facts I've found anywhere.

Oh, really? My doctor told me it's all rolled together.

Unless it was my grandchild I probably wouldn't do the vaccine. Not because I'm against vaxing (both kids fully vaxed on schedule) but because I'm not too worried about holding other people's kids. Eh they're cute but they just lay there. And it's not enough for me to go out of my way to get the vaccine. Although since I work for a hospital I'm sure I'm up to date.

How old would the baby have to be before she'll let anyone hold them? Vaxed or not.

Nope, sorry not getting vaccinated for anybody especially some moron who smokes while pregnant.

I assume you don't go around snuggling newborns anyway, regardless of whether their mums are rumoured to smoke or not.

After all, it's not like you're lurking at the door to the mum's room, ready to pounce and say, "I didn't get my whooping cough vaccine, but I'm going to kiss your baby anyway because I heard your mother-in-law told your grandma-in-law that she saw you SMOKING! Ha! Now your baby might have whooping cough, you evil smoker!"

:laughing:

Last edited:

My DD had a life-threatening reaction to the Pertussis vaccine when she was a baby (her first shot). She stopped breathing in the middle of the night and thankfully, I woke up and found her and was able to get her breathing again. Pediatrician recommended that we continue with all normal vaccines except Pertussis and since it was rare he wasn't concerned. She was 13 when she contracted it and it was so bad that her body responded with extreme auto-immune response. So she now has multiple auto-immune diseases that the doctors say stemmed from that awful case of Pertussis.

Completely unfair, but the rest of her life has been affected. And it won't be a "normal" life.

Get the booster. Unless there's a medical reason not to, everyone should have it anyway. And the life of a child is just too precious to risk.

Unless it was my grandchild I probably wouldn't do the vaccine. Not because I'm against vaxing (both kids fully vaxed on schedule) but because I'm not too worried about holding other people's kids. Eh they're cute but they just lay there. And it's not enough for me to go out of my way to get the vaccine. Although since I work for a hospital I'm sure I'm up to date.

I have to say, I tend to avoid touching other people's babies. I'm happy looking at them from across the room.

My own babies were the exception, not the rule.

I have to say, I tend to avoid touching other people's babies. I'm happy looking at them from across the room.

My own babies were the exception, not the rule.

Yup that's how I am. Usually everyone is smothering the baby and barely giving mom and baby room to breath so I just figure it's easier for mom if I just lay low.

Oh, really? My doctor told me it's all rolled together.
From WebMD:
Tdap is a combination vaccine that protects against three potentially life-threatening bacterial diseases: tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (whooping cough). Td is a booster vaccine for tetanus and diphtheria. It does not protect against pertussis.

In past recent years, adults were only getting the Td booster. But, in most places, they've reverted to the Tdap.

I don't see anything wrong with the mom to be, asking that they get boosters for whooping cough. I think it's not smart for her to be smoking while pregnant.

Whopping cough popped up in our county. Our health department said if your grade school kid only had the Td the student needed to get the tdap by a certain date. Many kids had to return for the shot.

All peds in our area are questioning parents about who will be around newborn and have they been vaccinated with Tdap. And say - tell them to get the shot.

We have both vaccines for adults. Some peeps do not want the tdap, some do not care. So I suggested for the ones who do not care, yet work in hospitals or with patients get the tdap in case they are exposed. All agree to it.

We have had Medicare deny the tdap cost even though Medicare states the vaccine is covered, I can't figure that one out. Now they will cover it if they need it due to injury.

I asked anyone (personally, not on Facebook) who would be in close contact with my son in his first couple months to get the Tdap (if they needed the booster) and the flu shot. In the event that the person could not comply because of a medical reason, I was willing to bend. There was one person who waited till the last minute to get the Tdap (so, it was essentially useless) even though they were told months in advance. Also let us know after the fact that they didn't get a flu shot because they never get a flu shot and never get the flu. So, they were essentially playing the odds with my child having to be hospitalized. Basically, if your child gets a fever in the first two months (possibly 3, I can't remember) it's an automatic hospital stay and spinal tap.

If someone is anti vaccine, that is their choice. It's also my choice to not let that person hold my baby.

I think it's a great idea to speak with your doctor and stay out of the "airing of grievances." Smoking is obviously really bad while pregnant, but there is no way to know what is or isn't true on that Facebook thread. I do sincerely hope that she is seeking help if she has continued.

My sister in law requested this of me before I saw my niece for the first time. While I thought it was a bit odd, honestly it's better safe than sorry.

I did get a little bit under the weather when I had the vaccine, but it was more than worth it. It felt like a very mild head cold for a few days. More than worth the small amount of discomfort to meet my new best g/f who I'm going to spoil!

In addition to that - It was free for me being a preventative care item.

Thanks for the info.

I'm having a small family get-together the 21st, to celebrate my Mom's 80th birthday, and if our grandson and his wife come I will ask her if her doctor mentioned this to her.
I would say most definitely the Dr. did. My youngest DD made the same requirement (because of a very strong recommendation from her Dr.) to us 4 years ago (in IL) for our 1st GD. No questions asked, we all got the shot. My oldest DD is having her 1st baby in August (in MI) and again highly recommended that we all get vaccinated.

I just looked it up to make sure I didn't misunderstand my doctor, and yes, if she gets a shot in the 3rd trimester, antibodies are transferred to baby to protect them until they're old enough for their own vaccine. (CDC was the source.)

If you received the vaccine previously, I would not get it again, especially during a pregnancy. I work post partum nursing and recently doctors were choosing to stick women with this vaccine with every pregnancy, even if they had already had it just a year previous, for the reason you stated that it could pass on immunity to the unborn baby (a vaccine that had previously been given every ten years for the tetanus booster). That thinking has changed by the OBs where I work and they have told us that you get lifetime immunity from having the immunization once so they aren't repeatedly sticking their patients with it anymore. It doesn't seem prudent to keep getting a vaccine that you may not need. Just something to really think about if you have already had it in the last few years. There are other ways to protect your baby until they get the dTap. I would just really think twice, since the doctors and other medical experts keep changing their minds on this stuff.

Is it possible she is thinking about the health of Great grandma? Once the baby is what 6 weeks old? he or she will be given the DPTap and thus will be shedding Pertussis for others to catch. Maybe they do not want GGrandma to get ill? Although I do believe that should be her and her physicians choice.

I assume you don't go around snuggling newborns anyway, regardless of whether their mums are rumoured to smoke or not.

After all, it's not like you're lurking at the door to the mum's room, ready to pounce and say, "I didn't get my whooping cough vaccine, but I'm going to kiss your baby anyway because I heard your mother-in-law told your grandma-in-law that she saw you SMOKING! Ha! Now your baby might have whooping cough, you evil smoker!"

:laughing:

Ummm I don't understand the 2nd part of your post at all but I'm assuming it was supposed to be funny because you put a smiley there? Anyway, to the 1st part...yes I do snuggle newborns and older babies quite often.

First child, parents are the way they are, trying to convince them otherwise is futile and will only cause bad feelings. But in this case, I would definitely get the vaccine.
I have read or seen so many stories over the last year or so about how whooping cough is back bigtime and that older relatives are giving it to babies.
It is very dangerous for babies to have it sometimes too.
I would just bite the bullet, respect the parents' wishes and do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter