• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beginning in January - 18% Gratuity....

How do you feel about the new 18% gratuity charge?

• I AGREE

• I DISAGREE

• I DON'T CARE

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just double that 5000 dollar and you get a better idea of the cost for such a trip :rotfl: :rotfl:

And I totally agree of the “lousy” 250 dollar but the fact that Disney is just pulling it out of your pocked by sending an E mail is not the way to deal with this “problem”.

We own a little company and the matter of tipping is a daily custom for us but we decide who earns a tip and who doesn`t.

It's a shame that people assume because you can afford to go on a nice vacation.....that you don't work hard for your money.......and that if you can afford to go on that vacation....giving a "lousy" $250 to anyone should be because they have earned it and deserve it.....not because you can afford it.

It's a shame that people assume because you can afford to go on a nice vacation.....that you don't work hard for your money.......and that if you can afford to go on that vacation....giving a "lousy" $250 to anyone should be because they have earned it and deserve it.....not because you can afford it.

We just have to save for such a vacation and can afford it every two years.
No problem. We love America and its worth the saving and waiting.

We will visit your country in 2008 and hopefully,if the Lord keeps an eye on us ,we’ll be back in 2010.:banana: :banana:
In the mean time we feed our “piggy bank” every month. :laughing: :laughing:

I guess I am probably in the minority here but I don't like the flat 18% for a different reason. I like the option of tipping based on the service I get not the size of the bill. I try and tip about 15 to 18% but on the rare occasion we spend a lot I do cut back. I just don't think it takes any more effort to place a $30.00 steak in front of me than a $10.00 hamburger with fries. The difference is quite a bit for the same effort. Just my opinion. I also prefer to leave a cash tip. My son worked at a local restaurant and always preferred cash tips. You can guess why so I usually just cash the tip and let them decide how much to report...smjj

That does make sense. When a meal costs 60.00 as opposed to 20.00, there may be times when the server works just as hard as the other one. Whoever decided it would be based on the actual cost? I am glad you brought this up, because it deserves thought.

Hmmm... Not sure where anyone (including me) said that OP didn't work hard for their money for their vacation.

In addition, if you read MY post... I never called the amount of $250 "lousy"... the OP did.

Please don't put words in my mouth...

We just have to save for such a vacation and can afford it every two years.
No problem. We love America and its worth the saving and waiting.

We will visit your country in 2008 and hopefully,if the Lord keeps an eye on us ,we’ll be back in 2010.:banana: :banana:
In the mean time we feed our “piggy bank” every month. :laughing: :laughing:

Hope you have a "magical" vacation and God bless!

I agree, servers should work to earn their tips. Especially when you're tipping more than average. A server would have to be efficient, friendly and give us that 'something extra' to get a larger tip from me. My average tips tend to be 15% - 20%, depending on the quality of service.

However, I am concerned about the different opinions on earning their tips.

If a server is prompt, efficient and takes care of me and my family. I feel that they deserve the industry standard of 15%. Their wages are based upon them doing their jobs efficiently and getting an approximate 15% tip.

In the example that you are quoting regarding the "lousy $250", the difference between an 18% tip and a 15% tip is roughly $40 over the course of two weeks. Approximately $3.00 per day. In that example the guest, leaving 15%, would have tipped $210 over the course of their 2 week vacation. DDE (and parties of 6 or more) are now being told that their standard of tipping is changing by 3%, which is $3 for every $100 spent on dining.

I am NOT saying that servers who are rude, who disappear, who never bring you refills, who bring you cold food and disappear for parts unknown should be tipped 18% (or even 15% for that matter). However that is the exception, not the rule in Disney.

Good servers and efficient service seems to be more of the norm (rule) in Disney. Don't these servers deserve a minimum tip for such service? They're doing their jobs and they are taking care of you.

That does make sense. When a meal costs 60.00 as opposed to 20.00, there may be times when the server works just as hard as the other one. Whoever decided it would be based on the actual cost? I am glad you brought this up, because it deserves thought.
I don't disagree with this thought. However, it happens in every industry. The fact is that a "VP" at a small company typically makes alot less than the same position at a large company. (For the most part - exceptions do occur.) HR positions at IBM are paid more than HR positions at "Joe's Fish & Chips." One's salary is a byproduct of the industry, the position, and many other things. The "VP" at the small company is making decisions that maybe affect the product and the employees. Where at a huge company, maybe the same decision the VP is making affects millions of shareholders. Of course, one earns more than the other... responsibilities are quite different despite having the same job title.

So - Does a server at Denny's do any less work than one at WDW? well not necessarily. HOWEVER, that server at WDW is also (in many cases) held to a different standard. Maybe at Denny's the server is expected to give refills, and put plates on table. Their 15% might be $4. At WDW, the servers are expected to truly contribute to the overall experience. Be that at 50's PT where they play a "part"... or at WCC where they do the ketchup "thing"... or even at a character buffet where they offer to take pics of you and your kids with Mickey. There are other aspects of being a server at Denny's than at WDW.

Hope this makes sense.

So we have Disney paying servers a bad wage and charging vastly over the odds for the food. Why not just pay the servers a fair wage. I can't understand why such a large company can't pay their staff.
Also how did they come up with 18% the tip rate is 15%.

So - Does a server at Denny's do any less work than one at WDW? well not necessarily. HOWEVER, that server at WDW is also (in many cases) held to a different standard. Maybe at Denny's the server is expected to give refills, and put plates on table. Their 15% might be $4. At WDW, the servers are expected to truly contribute to the overall experience. Be that at 50's PT where they play a "part"... or at WCC where they do the ketchup "thing"... or even at a character buffet where they offer to take pics of you and your kids with Mickey. There are other aspects of being a server at Denny's than at WDW.

Hope this makes sense.

In the same vain, servers may be saving to pay their children's healthcare bills or school tuition or to put food on their table. [/qoute]

What is the difference between the children of an employee from Denny`s and a Disney employee?

I agree with you Pooh Bear Hugs. I wish it weren't this way. I wish Disney, and all restaurants in the US, paid a fair wage to their waitstaff.

The fact is that they don't. That's not the way that the industry works in the United States.

Disney has mandated that their standard tipping rate is 18% for a while now. The DDP (this year) includes an 18% tip to the server, and in 2007 parties of 8 or more are assessed an 18% gratuity. I think Disney picked 18% just to remain consistent with their prior 'standard'.

In the same vain, servers may be saving to pay their children's healthcare bills or school tuition or to put food on their table. [/qoute]

What is the difference between the children of an employee from Denny`s and a Disney employee?

Be careful. I once said that I tip more than the standard % at Denny's if my service is excellent. I got called stupid by another board member. :sad2:

I agree with you, I feel a server giving their all at a lower end restaurant deserves a higher percentage. Oftentimes that's where a server has to start out in order to gain the experience they need to be hired at a higher end restaurant.

Unfortunately, around here logic like that has people saying I am stupid. :rolleyes:

Be careful. I once said that I tip more than the standard % at Denny's if my service is excellent. I got called stupid by another board member. :sad2:

I agree with you, I feel a server giving their all at a lower end restaurant deserves a higher percentage. Oftentimes that's where a server has to start out in order to gain the experience they need to be hired at a higher end restaurant.

Unfortunately, around here logic like that has people saying I am stupid. :rolleyes:
I don't disagree with this... back in college, some friends and I would go to Denny's 2 times per week and sit in a booth for literally at least 2 hours just drinking coffee. Our bill would come to about $10 for 6 of us to take up her booth for hours. We'd always leave her at least $30...just for us taking up her space. (She LOVED us! hehe!)

Anyway - don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily think that Denny's server do less... I just think there are additional parts of serving at Disney that don't apply to other restaurants at times. (Like the playing the part, etc. that I mentioned before.)

I agree, servers should work to earn their tips. Especially when you're tipping more than average. A server would have to be efficient, friendly and give us that 'something extra' to get a larger tip from me. My average tips tend to be 15% - 20%, depending on the quality of service.

However, I am concerned about the different opinions on earning their tips.

If a server is prompt, efficient and takes care of me and my family. I feel that they deserve the industry standard of 15%. Their wages are based upon them doing their jobs efficiently and getting an approximate 15% tip.

In the example that you are quoting regarding the "lousy $250", the difference between an 18% tip and a 15% tip is roughly $40 over the course of two weeks. Approximately $3.00 per day. In that example the guest, leaving 15%, would have tipped $210 over the course of their 2 week vacation. DDE (and parties of 6 or more) are now being told that their standard of tipping is changing by 3%, which is $3 for every $100 spent on dining.

I am NOT saying that servers who are rude, who disappear, who never bring you refills, who bring you cold food and disappear for parts unknown should be tipped 18% (or even 15% for that matter). However that is the exception, not the rule in Disney.

Good servers and efficient service seems to be more of the norm (rule) in Disney. Don't these servers deserve a minimum tip for such service? They're doing their jobs and they are taking care of you.

I keep seeing "industry standard" over and over.....posters even have different opinions of what that amount is.....but in no language do I believe "standard" and "mandatory" are synonymous.

If I have a friendly, pleasant server who makes a good attempt at good service.....they are going to get AT LEAST 20% gratuity from me. Many of the posters unhappy about the new service charge don't mind tipping....and many aren't "cheap"....the opposition to this new policy isn't about money to me.

I keep seeing "industry standard" over and over.....posters even have different opinions of what that amount is.....but in no language do I believe "standard" and "mandatory" are synonymous.

Well, maybe so many people took liberties in reducing the "standard" to $0.00 (despite good service) that WDW had to instill some "mandatory" requirements to ensure they had servers available??

Just a thought...not a definitive answer... but something to consider.:confused3

My DH and I actually disagree over tipping. If the service is OK, nothing special, or lacking I let him leave the tip. Because I tend to overtip in general. However, if we get great outstanding, over the top service I tip. Because he will tip both the adaquate server and the great server the same between 15-18%. I always tip 15%, and for great service at least 20%, often 25% or more. I waitressed at a local pizza joint for a few weeks when one of our servers was sick, and it was the worst job ever. You make nothing on your check, work your butt off, be friendly, and you're lucky to get a 15% tip. At least working fast food you make minimum wage or more.

If I have a friendly, pleasant server who makes a good attempt at good service.....they are going to get AT LEAST 20% gratuity from me. Many of the posters unhappy about the new service charge don't mind tipping....and many aren't "cheap"....the opposition to this new policy isn't about money to me.

It's good to know that you aren't against tipping in general!

I still think that if you receive service that you feel doesn't warrant an 18% tip you have choices.

If you're a party of 6 or less paying OOP with the DDE card. You could just not use the card. Pay the bill OOP and leave whatever you feel is appropriate. However, this probably won't work for most diners. Figure a $100 food bill with the 20% discount plus 18% tip and 6.5% tax equals $104.50. Leaving nothing and not using the card your bill will be $106.50. However, you retain your freedom of choice by not using the card.

Another possibility is talking to a manager. Managers usually want to know when service is poor. I see post after post talking about the bad to abysmal service at Disney. If managers knew how bad it was, they could correct the servers and perhaps service will improve. Yes it takes time out of your vacation, but simply not tipping or tipping very low makes you look cheap. I would guess that many servers don't 'get' that they did something wrong. They'd sure 'get' it if their boss was breathing down their neck.

Buy the DDP. If you're a party of 5 or less, they do not mandate what you tip at all, other than they retain the right to mandate gratuity on items ordered not on the plan (appetizers, drinks, etc.)

smjj said:
I guess I am probably in the minority here but I don't like the flat 18% for a different reason. I like the option of tipping based on the service I get not the size of the bill. I try and tip about 15 to 18% but on the rare occasion we spend a lot I do cut back. I just don't think it takes any more effort to place a $30.00 steak in front of me than a $10.00 hamburger with fries. The difference is quite a bit for the same effort. Just my opinion.
It makes a difference - not in the effort required - but in the amount the server is required to "tip share" with cooks, hostesses etc.

Many times their tip share is not based on actual tips received - but on total sales. So cutting back your percentage of tip on a more expensive meal really costs the server. They still have to pay out the same amount to the hostess based on your total bill... not your total tip.

I can't say if that is how it is at Disney or not... but that is why it is important to base your percentage on the bill in addition to the level of service.

It makes a difference - not in the effort required - but in the amount the server is required to "tip share" with cooks, hostesses etc.

Many times their tip share is not based on actual tips received - but on total sales. So cutting back your percentage of tip on a more expensive meal really costs the server. They still have to pay out the same amount to the hostess based on your total bill... not your total tip.

I can't say if that is how it is at Disney or not... but that is why it is important to base your percentage on the bill in addition to the level of service.

I have owned a restaurant and have several friends that do.....I have never heard of anyone having to tip out according to their sales instead of a percentage of the gratuity that is received....and by the way...this is usually left up to the discretion of the server....

It's good to know that you aren't against tipping in general!

I still think that if you receive service that you feel doesn't warrant an 18% tip you have choices.

If you're a party of 6 or less paying OOP with the DDE card. You could just not use the card. Pay the bill OOP and leave whatever you feel is appropriate. However, this probably won't work for most diners. Figure a $100 food bill with the 20% discount plus 18% tip and 6.5% tax equals $104.50. Leaving nothing and not using the card your bill will be $106.50. However, you retain your freedom of choice by not using the card.

Another possibility is talking to a manager. Managers usually want to know when service is poor. I see post after post talking about the bad to abysmal service at Disney. If managers knew how bad it was, they could correct the servers and perhaps service will improve. Yes it takes time out of your vacation, but simply not tipping or tipping very low makes you look cheap. I would guess that many servers don't 'get' that they did something wrong. They'd sure 'get' it if their boss was breathing down their neck.

Buy the DDP. If you're a party of 5 or less, they do not mandate what you tip at all, other than they retain the right to mandate gratuity on items ordered not on the plan (appetizers, drinks, etc.)

I don't think I have ever not left a gratuity...even for poor service. I have a friend that would leave a quarter and an explanation as to why this is the gratuity that was left..if unhappy with the service. I'm the one that leaves extra money on the table when I'm dining with a group....just to make sure the staff is taken care of. As I've stated this isn't about the money or about not appreciating wait staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter